KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Respect Popeye!

Respect Popeye!
Started by: Laminator_X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mr Master
Not silly at all,
I think you explained it as well as possible considering your improvising his bio, and it makes sense to me. And yea that cartoon spinach is special, even Olive Oyl has kicked butt after eating it.
By the are all these feats from cartoons or another source.

A mixture of both, but many of the cartoons were direct adaptations from the comic strip (with filler animation added, of course). The WWII feats were directly form the comic strip, as are his battles in Persia and Russia. Later feats that took place after the introduction of his 3 nephews are directly attributed to the cartoon adaptation of the character.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Apr 12th, 2006 06:08 AM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Popeye is Amazing. blink

With a big A.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2006 02:08 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sam Z
Restricted

Account Restricted

RESPECT POPEYE!!!

Old Post Apr 12th, 2006 03:07 PM
Sam Z is currently offline Click here to Send Sam Z a Private Message Find more posts by Sam Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Laminator_X
Once & Future KMC Hawkeye

Behold. There's a new Popeye thread on the vs. forum and the mods seem to be letting it fly. Great work everyone, now lets not start a dozen threads and annoy our felow readers, but perhaps a Popeye thread every day or two will continue to warm the board in general to his presence.

In celebration, here are the full llyrics to Popeye's famous song:
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man,
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man.
I'm strong to the finich
Cause I eats me spinach.

I'm one tough Gazookus
Which hates all Palookas
Wot ain't on the up and square.
I biffs 'em and buffs 'em
And always out roughs 'em
But none of 'em gets nowhere.

If anyone dares to risk my "Fisk",
It's "Boff" an' it's "Wham" un'erstan'?
So keep "Good Be-hav-or"
That's your one life saver
With Popeye the Sailor Man.

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man,
I'm strong to the finich
Cause I eats me spinach.

...You are Number Six. Respect Popeye

Last edited by Laminator_X on Apr 13th, 2006 at 09:01 AM

Old Post Apr 13th, 2006 08:55 AM
Laminator_X is currently offline Click here to Send Laminator_X a Private Message Find more posts by Laminator_X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Fake Macoy
Lousy Imitation

So basically, all SPB is, is a rip-off of Popeye?

Old Post Apr 13th, 2006 09:25 PM
The Fake Macoy is currently offline Click here to Send The Fake Macoy a Private Message Find more posts by The Fake Macoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Laminator_X

Perhaps, but only insofar as they can both accomplish things by punching that make no real sense.

Now Golden Age Hourman, there's a Popeye rip-off.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2006 03:43 AM
Laminator_X is currently offline Click here to Send Laminator_X a Private Message Find more posts by Laminator_X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by illadelph12
Good, I'll share some of his feats.

I made a few threads today because I felt Popeye is unjustly overlooked as an iconic hero, when in truth, he was one of the first heroes in print, and over the decades has amassed a resume nearly unparalleled in comicdom. Many people took this as a joke because they couldn't look past the surface mystique that embodies the name Popeye, but he's just as deeply faceted a character as Superman or Spiderman is.

Here are a few of Popeye's feats:

-Popeye once ate an entire field of spinach to repel a Martian Invasion. He punched through a Martian disentegration beam, grabbed a flying saucer, threw it like a frisbee, and made it ricochet off the entire Martian invasion fleet like a pin ball. After all the Martian ships crashed, the ensuing explosion spelled the word "TILT" across the skyline.
-Popeye has ran down Bluto, on foot, while Bluto was speeding away in a racecar in an attempt to kidnap Olive Oyl.
-Popeye has ran down, and ran past (on numerous occasions), a speeding locomotive to save Olive Oyl, who was tied to the tracks, from being ran over. On one occasion, rather than untying her, he punched the speeding train and turned it into a pipe organ.
-Popeye singlehandedly laid track for a speeding train and punched through mountains to make tunnels for the train so that it could get to it's destination near the coal mines.
-Popeye has leaped into the air and punched out fighter jets in mid flight.
-Popeye can fly like a fighter jet by spinning his pipe like a propelor and sticking out his arms like wings. When provoked, Popeye can use his pipe as a jet engine propelling himself through the air at mach speeds, even launching himself into space. Popeye can also survive re-entry and falls from sub-orbital heights.
-Popeye has punched fast enough to deflect hundreds of rounds of machine gun fire at close range with his bare fists.
-Popeye has chewed up steel beams and spit the metal out as bullets, nails, and rivets.
-Popeye on numerous occasions has punched people and accompanying objects into cages, cabins, tents, tepees, stuffed animals, toys, etc. On one occasion Popeye was attacked by a Giant Octopuss while he was diving for pearls. Popeye punched the octopuss and turned it into a Merry-Go-Round.
- During WWII, Popeye punched out a fleet of German battleships into individual cages to imprison over 100 Nazi soldiers. Popeye also punched through the gunfire of 10 Nazi fighter jets, in mid air, and punched the planes to splinters that formed a fence and imprisoned the pilots as they landed with their parachutes. He also got a medal of honor from Eisenhower.
-During WW II Popeye once turned out all the lights in his hometown for a bomb raid in a matter of seconds.
-Popeye once punched an enraged Giant King Kong-esque Gorilla into 3 separate monkeys, each covering their ears, eyes, and mouth (hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil) respectively.
-Popeye punched out a giant Moby Dick-esque sperm whale and held it in one hand like a baby as it was dazed.
-Popeye once punched a mountain into a hill because it was blocking his view.
-Popeye once lifted up and bodyslammed the 40 story building Olive Oyl's apartment was in so that her floor was at street level and he could move her piano in.
-Popeye once walked a tight rope while carrying a refrigerator, a wardrobe, a bathtub, a baby in a baby carriage, Olive Oil, and Wimpy (eating a burger).
-Popeye once punched through super hypnosis vision from a Persian Magician, then punched the guy and his flying carpet turning them into a bazaar with rugs for sale.
-While in Old Russia, Popeye punched through hypnosis vision and spells cast by Rasputin, then Popeye proceded to punch Rasputin through the Kremlin which formed a jail around Rasputin.
-Popeye once punched through magic spell bolts cast at him by a Genie Bluto had used to grant him three wishes. Popeye then punched out Bluto and punched the Genie back into the lamp before tossing the lamp into the horizon.
-Popeye survived having a battle ship dropped on him by Bluto.
-Popeye survived being shot point blank in the face with a cannonball by Pirate Blackbeard.
-Popeye survived being ran over and point blank cannon fire from a Sherman tank, and then proceded to punch the tank into an oven and water heater.
-In Egypt Popeye once punched a Mummy into bedsheets hanging from a clothesline (there was no clothseline before the punch).
-Popeye has punched aligators, dinosaurs, and mad bulls into full sets of leather luggage.
-Popeye has punched a lion into a leopard skin fur coat. (and no, that's not a typo, he punched a lion into leopard skin).
-Popeye punched out a fire breathing dragon.
-Popeye as a lumberjack chopped down a whole state full of redwood trees with his bare fists.
-Popeye once jumped up and punched the man in the moon in the eye after Olive Oyl snubbed him for Bluto and the moon was laughing at his misfortune.

blink Holy S**t.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Apr 14th, 2006 03:51 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
..:Sn0w:..

I heard Popeye can punch away a blast form the ultimate nullifier.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2006 04:11 AM
..:Sn0w:.. is currently offline Click here to Send ..:Sn0w:.. a Private Message Find more posts by ..:Sn0w:.. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Are Popeye's powers mystical, genetic or from spinach. Serious question.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Apr 14th, 2006 04:17 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

^All of the above, apparently. eek!

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Apr 14th, 2006 04:34 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Laminator_X

Originally posted by Murda Mase
I heard Popeye can punch away a blast form the ultimate nullifier.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that was Bill Brasky

quote:
Originally posted by badabing
Are Popeye's powers mystical, genetic or from spinach. Serious question.

"All of the above" is correct. Like many comic heroes, the origin of popeye's powers lie in ancient Greece. Depending on the telling of the tale, Popeye's family (His father, Poopdeck Pappy, and his Nephews have similar powers) is either descended from Hercules or from a warrior/athlete who defeated Hercules at the first olympics. In the former tale, Herc had previously sniffed garlic to enhance his strength until discovering that spinach was a more potent charm. In the latter story, the ancient Popeye who defeated Hercules was blessed by the goddess "Spinichia," who granted him the power to defeat the Son of Zeus.

Last edited by Laminator_X on Apr 14th, 2006 at 12:37 PM

Old Post Apr 14th, 2006 12:34 PM
aton_ra
Money on my mind

Re: Respect Popeye!

Popeye is the original Powerhouse.

And don't you forget it. wink

Old Post Apr 14th, 2006 01:23 PM
aton_ra is currently offline Click here to Send aton_ra a Private Message Find more posts by aton_ra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
..:Sn0w:..

I actually remember alot of thoes feats from old cartoons.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2006 01:13 AM
..:Sn0w:.. is currently offline Click here to Send ..:Sn0w:.. a Private Message Find more posts by ..:Sn0w:.. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

(please log in to view the image)

>Z<

Old Post Apr 15th, 2006 08:31 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

>Z<

Old Post Apr 15th, 2006 09:21 PM
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

>Z<

Old Post Apr 15th, 2006 09:31 PM
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

>Z<

Old Post Apr 15th, 2006 09:34 PM
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

(Poor image quality, but he lifted a house).

>Z<

Old Post Apr 15th, 2006 09:38 PM
diabloman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by illadelph12

(Poor image quality, but he lifted a house).
which issue is that one from ? from the 20s ?

ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

Old Post Apr 15th, 2006 09:41 PM
diabloman is currently offline Click here to Send diabloman a Private Message Find more posts by diabloman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

It's from the original run of Thimble Theatre, so it's from about 1931-1933.

This strip was from the Sunday Edition of the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Comic Section.

>Z<

Old Post Apr 15th, 2006 10:13 PM