KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » The Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD Format War

Who Will Win the Disc Format War?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Blu-Ray 2 14.29%
HD-DVD 7 50.00%
The Greedy Corporations 0 0%
Do I look like I f***ing care? 4 28.57%
Nintendo....?! 1 7.14%
Total: 14 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD Format War
Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by crazy_shadow
no i didn't it says it right there (please log in to view the image)

no expression

Yes. It's referring to the fact that the XBOX 360 is compatible with an HDTV to show high-definition images. Which is isnt supported by a regular televisions.

How a DVD doesn't possess high-definition picture quality. READ THE ARTICLES. Even just briefly glancing at them will convince you..... sad

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 05:20 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

So Draco, how can 1080i be supported with XBOX 360 on DVD-ROM's?

I'm actually wondering?

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 06:01 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sully_2u
Sex Guru

You guys, it isn't really about the disc format either. It has alot to do with the drive itself.

Draco69, you yourself said that DVD can't go up to 720p or 1080i but if you use common sense, the drive for the 360 as of right now is a regular DVD drive and they still get 1080i out of the games.

It is the optical reader of the drive that allows the HD and not just the discs.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 06:32 AM
sully_2u is currently offline Click here to Send sully_2u a Private Message Find more posts by sully_2u Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
an_old_wonderer

Originally posted by sully_2u
You guys, it isn't really about the disc format either. It has alot to do with the drive itself.

Draco69, you yourself said that DVD can't go up to 720p or 1080i but if you use common sense, the drive for the 360 as of right now is a regular DVD drive and they still get 1080i out of the games.

It is the optical reader of the drive that allows the HD and not just the discs.

AHHHHH YEAH XD

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 06:45 AM
an_old_wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send an_old_wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by an_old_wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by Smasandian

The funny thing is that alot of casual moviegoers dont even like High Def movies....."it's too clear".

If they can't afford them, from whom are you getting that opinion? Or are you just making a (bad) joke...?

Originally posted by Smasandian
Yeah, but what's the point of buying an expansive Blu Ray player if your not going to watch your favourite movies in High Def on it?

Those DVD's will collect dust because you would want to buy them again for the High Def, the reason why you bought the player in the first place/

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Players upconvert regular DVD's to 720p automatically. The difference is minimal on a plasma HDTV, and LCD HDTV isn't available in 1080p, anyway.

Originally posted by Draco69
Blu-Ray is much more likely to win for three simple reasons:

A) it's a better disc overall compared to the HD-DVD

B) NINETY PERCENT of all movie studios and film corporations have sided with the Blu-Ray. HD-DVD literally has only 7 while Blu-Ray has over a thousand.

C) It has the PS3 to back it up.

..and the one reason nobody will go with Blu Ray is that the player is $1,000 compared to the $500 HD-DVD player. Also, Blu Ray titles are being cancelled left and right, as we speak because lack of support and incomplete technology. There are 5 titles dropping on the 27th when the players are first made available. At $600 dollars, nobodies going to be able to afford the PS3, either. The Deluxe 360 united are also scheduled for a price drop the same day the HD add on is made available, making it the best choice.

The main reasons that HD/Blu-ray won't be the standard for a couple of years at least are because A) a monopoly on the market, player wise. B) multiple bugs in the systems. C) $30 for one DVD is insane.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Jun 20th, 2006 at 07:10 AM

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 07:05 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sully_2u
Sex Guru

And if you look, original xbox games go up to 720p so that throws your case right out the door.

There is even a couple original xbox games that support 1080i like Atari Anthology. All of these must be on plain DVD's so i have to say that you are wrong.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 07:10 AM
sully_2u is currently offline Click here to Send sully_2u a Private Message Find more posts by sully_2u Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sully_2u
Sex Guru

Last edited by sully_2u on Jun 20th, 2006 at 07:18 AM

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 07:12 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by sully_2u

There is even a couple original xbox games that support 1080i like Atari Anthology. All of these must be on plain DVD's so i have to say that you are wrong.

Even "Superbit" DVD titles will look and sound as good as most HD-DVD players, especially with the upconversion. It all boils down to the bitrate and compression, which is what is supposed to sell Blu-ray, when in fact, 50 megs isn't all that necessary.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 07:19 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
an_old_wonderer

remember, xbox360 games arent just normal DVD's.....they're dual layer xD

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 09:01 AM
an_old_wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send an_old_wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by an_old_wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

remember, xbox360 games arent just normal DVD's.....they're dual layer xD

They have always been dual layer (DVD-9) dating back to the original XBOX and PS2

big grin-- Laughing is good happy laughing--

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 02:20 PM
LinixCobra is currently offline Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

cant see this dying down any time soon

sony own the catalogues of nearly 60% of all hollywood films and if they want to release it on a format they developed themselves in order to make profit than i guess thats up to them

although you would've thought that the minidisc and betamax would have taught them a lesson

apparently not

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 02:33 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

Originally posted by jaden101
cant see this dying down any time soon

sony own the catalogues of nearly 60% of all hollywood films and if they want to release it on a format they developed themselves in order to make profit than i guess thats up to them

although you would've thought that the minidisc and betamax would have taught them a lesson

apparently not

SONY didnt create Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray is an idependant company last time I checked.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 03:08 PM
LinixCobra is currently offline Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by C-Dic
If they can't afford them, from whom are you getting that opinion? Or are you just making a (bad) joke...?

My friends and people I talk to on a daily basis. They cant afford them, doesnt mean they havnt seen HD before, and when they do, they dont like it.

I know that doesnt mean shit overall, but they're all casual moviegoers and they all dont like HD.
But I'm wrong, and I shouldnt of said that because it doesnt equal to the majority of the people.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2006 04:21 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
an_old_wonderer

Originally posted by El_NINO
They have always been dual layer (DVD-9) dating back to the original XBOX and PS2
Xbox and PS2 are normal DVD's. they hold 4.5 GB, dual layer carry 9 GB. look up specs...

Xbox : "Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD"

PS2 : "Compatible format: PlayStation format CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 format CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 format DVD-ROM, Audio CD, DVD-Video*, DVD-RW (VR mode), * The term "DVD-Video" is used to refer to DVD-R, DVD-RW (Video mode), DVD+R and DVD+RW discs."

:s no Dual layer

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 03:50 AM
office jesus

Seriously. Who gives a shit? Sony's going to shove HD-DVD down everyone's throat, forcing everyone to upgrade. Blu-Ray....eh.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 04:19 AM
office jesus is currently offline Click here to Send office jesus a Private Message Find more posts by office jesus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Originally posted by office jesus
Seriously. Who gives a shit? Sony's going to shove HD-DVD down everyone's throat, forcing everyone to upgrade. Blu-Ray....eh.

Why the hell would Sony shove HD-DVD down everybody's throat, when they're supporting Blu-Ray? What the f**k?

Another question: do you have any idea what you're talking about?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 04:23 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Originally posted by C-Dic

..and the one reason nobody will go with Blu Ray is that the player is $1,000 compared to the $500 HD-DVD player. Also, Blu Ray titles are being cancelled left and right, as we speak because lack of support and incomplete technology. There are 5 titles dropping on the 27th when the players are first made available. At $600 dollars, nobodies going to be able to afford the PS3, either. The Deluxe 360 united are also scheduled for a price drop the same day the HD add on is made available, making it the best choice.

The main reasons that HD/Blu-ray won't be the standard for a couple of years at least are because A) a monopoly on the market, player wise. B) multiple bugs in the systems. C) $30 for one DVD is insane.

Very good points.

Sony made a VERY risky decision by making the PS3 based on Blu-Ray format. They need to win the war or else....

I hope they do. I want all three consoles to exist despite the rampant bloodlust to kill one console or another.... confused

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 03:08 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

Xbox and PS2 are normal DVD's. they hold 4.5 GB, dual layer carry 9 GB. look up specs...

Xbox : "Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD"

PS2 : "Compatible format: PlayStation format CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 format CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 format DVD-ROM, Audio CD, DVD-Video*, DVD-RW (VR mode), * The term "DVD-Video" is used to refer to DVD-R, DVD-RW (Video mode), DVD+R and DVD+RW discs."

:s no Dual layer

Thanks for posting specs to what movies you can view or music cds you can put in. Some games do use DL DVDs.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2006 03:39 PM
an_old_wonderer

Originally posted by El_NINO
Thanks for posting specs to what movies you can view or music cds you can put in. Some games do use DL DVDs.
i was posting what the system can read. and dual layer DVD is not one of the types of disks it can read. notice it saying "compatible format"

http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm

dual layer = 2003

ps2 = 2000

xbox = 2002

turns out xbox never supported dual layer. PS2 did not at first either, but then in later models did support it. ----Supported Disc Media: PlayStation 2 format CD-ROM, PlayStation format CD-ROM, Compact Disc Audio, PlayStation format DVD-ROM (4.7 GB), DVD Video (4.7 GB). ====Later models are DVD-9 (8.5 GB Dual-Layer)=====, DVD+RW, and DVD-RW compatible.-----

so i do say i was wrong about the ps2. i was reading specs they had on release not later. but xbox never had the support for it as far as wikipedia explains.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2006 09:40 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I don't give two pieces of shit which format wins. It won't effect me nor most people who aren't stupid early adopters who buy everything when it comes out just for the sake of buying everything.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2006 01:38 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote