KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » The sea Goddess Calypso? (spoiler warning)

The sea Goddess Calypso? (spoiler warning)
Started by: LovelyOne

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
katelovespirate

you bet she will... im seeing galadriel-esque moments of atomic anger... LOL...
tia's on drugs? thats funny, and makes sense. i bet jack is on them too sometimes then. hahaha. smile

Old Post Aug 12th, 2006 08:15 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

She'll get impaled on the Flying Dutchman..... I don't know.
Remember, Liz is the second choice for Calypso because Liz is the only other woman besides Tia! Anamaria is gone with her own ship and I doubt she's coming back. Plus, if there are subtle hints that she should be with Jack, then there are even more hints that she is all too human and not a goddess.
1. We see her as a child, fascinated by pirates. I think a goddess wouldn't impress as easily.
2. She has a dad, and it was more common back then to lose parents, so I really think she had a mom and losing that mom probably helped give her that independence we all love about her.
3. Corsets stifle her breathing. If she's a goddess, or even a reincarnation of a goddess, wouldn't she be, I don't know, magnificent or something all dolled up instead of huffing and puffing?

Old Post Aug 13th, 2006 08:33 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jdl1224
captain jack <3

Re: The sea Goddess Calypso? (spoiler warning)

quote: (post)
Originally posted by LovelyOne
just read this on wikipedia

This is an interesting concept..LIz being the human form of Calypso, Davy's wife will Davy try to get her back? Or is it Tia? hmmmm

Also that must mean Davy has always looked like squid face...and he was to be married to a sea godess but she ran away?

Dang it LovelyOne- i'm gone for like 3 days and you start like 3 major threads. BUH. Alright, here comes my thoughts. smile

I REALLY don't think it's Liz. Of course I could be wrong, and I'm usually thinking the way no one else does (as in Tia is horribly BAD) but I really just don't think it's Liz.

Someone has already said that Tia has all the powers like a Goddess would, and sure Liz is facinated by pirates but I just don't believe it could be her. There are so many clues indicating that Tia will end up being Calypso, at least in my opinion. And it does look like he has ink all over her face- but couldnt that be another clue linking her to Davy? They resemble each other. Just like people were saying Liz and Jack's costumes resemble each other- and now they are falling in loooove. smile

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 02:40 AM
jdl1224 is currently offline Click here to Send jdl1224 a Private Message Find more posts by jdl1224 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

jd, I love how you write. It may be a long process, but I hope Jack and Liz stop falling and actually land hard in love.
If anyone here needs a Jack/Liz fix, or any kind of fix really, there is actually a lot of great stuff on fanfiction.net. Some of the universes have a lot of crap, but the pirates universe has a great variety and decent writing.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 03:44 AM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

Yeah I agree, totally think it is Tia and not Liz.

I mean, to the average person, even Tia being Calypso will come across as a shocker. ya know?

Liz is def. human. but i could see tia giving her the option of becoming immortal or something. everyone else is the films have had their brush with immortality, except liz and will. its time they got to feel what its like, haha.

yes!!!! stop falling and land!!!! smile

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 03:48 AM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

I don't think most people would be that surprised if Tia turned out to be Calypso. They would at least think it made sense. Hmm, Tia offering Liz immortality? I kind of like the idea. I don't think she would take it, though, unless it were to save someone else. She's a thrill seeker and for those people, it's the idea of coming so close to death that makes something fun for them. I think she's very happy being a human, although she wants to be a human with a little more freedom, and a certain pirate.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 03:51 AM
jdl1224
captain jack <3

Yeah I was actually thinking that when I posted "reasons why Tia=Bad News!" I mentioned I thought she was Davy's lover and I got reactions from people saying that they didn't think that- but when she goes againt Liz- now everyone believes its her. lol. I find it quite ammusing. smile

And why thank you willofthewisp- I didn't think my writing was anything special. smile

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 03:15 PM
jdl1224 is currently offline Click here to Send jdl1224 a Private Message Find more posts by jdl1224 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

Who the HECK is Liz's mother?? SERIOUSLY we never hear about her..

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 03:16 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jdl1224
captain jack <3

hahaha. that was random!
who knows, maybe she died?

Maybe that'll come up in the 3rd one too. It'll be a big parental reunion! smile

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 03:20 PM
katelovespirate

i think Liz's mother is dead, or ran off to be a pirate. Or killed herself because she was so sick of the social restraints. haha.
disney loves the "died during childbirth" excuse for mothers. very few disney ladies have a mother. if they did, they wouldnt be allowed to wear their lovely but scandalous clothing which disney considers essential. big grin

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 03:38 PM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Liz's mom is dead, imo, and I think she died when Liz was really young. I think a lot of stories are about characters with no parents or a dead parent because it makes them independent sooner. Liz may not have turned out so stubborn if her mom had been alive along with Gov. Swann. Plus, he's the only tie she has left, so if he does die, as someone mentioned, there is really no reason for her to go back to Port Royale.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 07:17 PM
D_Shiznitdog

I think Tia Dalma is Calypso too. In all of the interviews with Naomie Harris, she says how Pirates 2 was only an introduction to her character. "She's not quite who she seems." She also has a lot more power than people think, she says.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2006 09:04 PM
D_Shiznitdog is currently offline Click here to Send D_Shiznitdog a Private Message Find more posts by D_Shiznitdog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

quote: (post)
Originally posted by willofthewisp
She'll get impaled on the Flying Dutchman..... I don't know.
Remember, Liz is the second choice for Calypso because Liz is the only other woman besides Tia! Anamaria is gone with her own ship and I doubt she's coming back. Plus, if there are subtle hints that she should be with Jack, then there are even more hints that she is all too human and not a goddess.
1. We see her as a child, fascinated by pirates. I think a goddess wouldn't impress as easily.
2. She has a dad, and it was more common back then to lose parents, so I really think she had a mom and losing that mom probably helped give her that independence we all love about her.
3. Corsets stifle her breathing. If she's a goddess, or even a reincarnation of a goddess, wouldn't she be, I don't know, magnificent or something all dolled up instead of huffing and puffing?

she might be the sea goddess reincarnated in human form..its what happened with the Buddha ..he came to life again through a human child..or something like that...

we NEVER get to see who Liz's mother is do we? Could she have been Calypso..and Liz is in fact an orphan? It would explain why Liz is so obsessed with the sea and the free life...she's not interested in the life she has at all...remember Calypso is a SEA goddess...

erk maybe Tia is Calypso in disguise and she is in fact Liz's real mother...

I too think that Tia is Calypso..and she is behind ALOT of what goes on in the movie..

Rhagetti mentions the words "divine intervention" in the movie..and that is exactly what a goddess is..a divinity..and in ancient Greek mythology when a god or goddess intervenes in the mere lives of mortals its known as "DIVINE INTERVENTION" they are able to oversee EVERYTHING and intervene in peoples lives to make things go the way they want...and Calypso IS a Greek goddess..I'm very suspicious of Tia..

Last edited by LovelyOne on Aug 16th, 2006 at 11:28 PM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2006 11:14 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

LovelyOne, do you think Liz is Calypso, or were you playing devil's advocate.
I really hope they don't do that to her character. Why can't a girl in a movie just be a regular girl who can do extraordinary things? In Star Wars, she's not some regular freedom fighter, she's a princess. In Harry Potter she's a witch, and in the Mummy, she's a reincarnated princess. I think it speaks more to Liz's character to be just a regular girl, brought up in a life of privilege, who just wanted something more in her life.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 04:07 PM