KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Jehovah's Witnesses - Legitimate Religion or Extremist Cult?

Jehovah's Witnesses - Legitimate Religion or Extremist Cult?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Legitimate 3 23.08%
Cult 10 76.92%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jehovah's Witnesses - Legitimate Religion or Extremist Cult?
Started by: Mithlond

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
King Kandy

1. Hyper-fundamentalist, creationist, etc...

2. The Watchtower carries authority over the bible (reminds me of Catholicism).

3. You should call god "Jehovah" because that's his name, and it's more respectful to call people by their proper names.

4. Jesus is a created god independent of Jehovah, and so is literally his son as opposed to part of him.

5. Satan was only recently cast out from heaven, and we are living in end-times as we speak... it's just a slower process than many think.

6. Nobody goes to hell. If you aren't a Jehovah's Witness, you just die and that's the end of it. God couldn't be all loving if he sent people to hell, the logic goes.

7. There is paradise after death, but on earth rather than heaven. Heaven's limited to 144,000 specially chosen people to be divine bureaucrats, apparently.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2009 11:17 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by King Kandy

3. You should call god "Jehovah" because that's his name, and it's more respectful to call people by their proper names.

4. Jesus is a created god independent of Jehovah, and so is literally his son as opposed to part of him.

5. Satan was only recently cast out from heaven, and we are living in end-times as we speak... it's just a slower process than many think.

6. Nobody goes to hell. If you aren't a Jehovah's Witness, you just die and that's the end of it. God couldn't be all loving if he sent people to hell, the logic goes.

7. There is paradise after death, but on earth rather than heaven. Heaven's limited to 144,000 specially chosen people to be divine bureaucrats, apparently.

1. EVANGELISM. denomination free-churches held in movie theatres with 'modern hymns' displayed on a screen. this is already 'accepted' as a part of conservative christianity.

2. sounds cultish. but... who is "in" the watchtower. spiritual leaders? can it be compared as vatican:watchtower pope:spiritual leader? then, obviously smacks of catholicism, but may perhaps be a different interpretation on the church st. paul started..

3. people of the jewish faith call god 'yahweh.' they want to call him by his name. jehovah is [i believe] mentioned in the bible in one of the many prophecies we see in the old testament. handel's 'the messiah' was based off scripture... ' [and he shall be called] wonderful, counselor, all-mighty god the everlasting father, the prince of peace.' jehovah could be aramaic, latin, greek... for messiah.

4. somewhat christian. the "three in one" principle played out a little two far. jesus is often seen as separate from the "father" and the "holy ghost" because he is the only part of god that was both fully divine and fully human. obviously this gets very confusing if you want to totally understand christianity and are not willing to take something on faith. when jesus was on earth, he knew he was god's son, but was yet separate because he did not know [until about age thirty, when he pops up miracle-working in the bible] what his life was supposed to be about. probably didn't know about the crucifixtion until that week, beginning with palm sunday, maunday thursday, good friday, and the resurrection three days later. this further un-synched 'son of god god' makes him seem even more separate.

5. what is recent for god? how long is seven days to create the world? is god's seven days measured to us in billions of years? similarly, how 'recent' is recent for satan? also, moderate to liberal churches play with the idea that we are all going through hell now - our lives on earth are actually in hell, because jesus + cross saved us from the 'real' hell, but we still have to pay for adam +eve + apple.

6. universalism is popular concept, using that same logic. except editing out the jehovah's witness part.

7. complete and utter rubbish. similar to greek system of death - every one goes to hades if you are good, you go to elysian fields. bad go across styx to bad person hell. regular people are reincarnated for another chance to go to elysian fields. also comparable to catholic death system, except lots more crazy. there is no set number for heaven, neither is there a place designated for it.

[sorry, when i think really fast i type really fast and the grammar tends to get lost amongst all the ideas. big grin]

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 12:24 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Originally posted by Ordo
I think part of being religious is being cultish.

Indeed, sir.

"Legitimate Religion or Extremist Cult?" is just semantics.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 01:08 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Because there definitely aren't any religious moderates in the world.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 01:30 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

pejorative use of the term "cult"...

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 01:45 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

That connotation is so memetically embedded that it shows up in dictionaries.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 01:50 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I guess that is how words get their meanings...

seems like a useless term when just used as "religion I want to bash"

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 01:59 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

quote:
a cult is used as "religion I want to bash"

Yes.

Much the same way as 'gang' is used as 'group' (more accurately, 'tribe') that I want to bash.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 02:01 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

I'm not a Jehovah's witness, so I am not very motivated to start any further discussion here, but here's a bit on some things you said.

Originally posted by siriuswriter
5. what is recent for god? how long is seven days to create the world? is god's seven days measured to us in billions of years? similarly, how 'recent' is recent for satan? also, moderate to liberal churches play with the idea that we are all going through hell now - our lives on earth are actually in hell, because jesus + cross saved us from the 'real' hell, but we still have to pay for adam +eve + apple.

"Recent" is October 1st, 1914. That's when Satan got cast out.

7. complete and utter rubbish. similar to greek system of death - every one goes to hades if you are good, you go to elysian fields. bad go across styx to bad person hell. regular people are reincarnated for another chance to go to elysian fields. also comparable to catholic death system, except lots more crazy. there is no set number for heaven, neither is there a place designated for it.

I don't see why you are so aggressive here, I'd think I made it clear I was just summarizing their beliefs. In JW, there IS a set number for heaven. That's not up for debate. But it's not worse to go to earthly paradise. In fact it's better, because if you're in heaven you spend all your time working as administrators. It's not a sliding scale, not at all, heaven is basically an office building in JW.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 03:17 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

i feel that i should offer some input as i live with a family of jehovahs witnesses...

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 04:17 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
i feel that i should offer some input as i live with a family of jehovahs witnesses...

okay....

...?

Anyway, thanks for the rundown KK.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:19 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

well im not a witness so i dont want to preach their message like i8m 100% sure of what it is. no expression

what ill instead do is just bring blax over here.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:50 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Because there definitely aren't any religious moderates in the world.

Not really, not in this instance, given that Jehovah's Witnesses believe that transfusions of organs and blood are wrong in the eyes of their lord.

They would prefer to let their child die than accept the treatment.
What sort of sick c**t inflicts their beliefs on a child like that...?
That is the sort of shit that you NEVER can apply the term moderate to.
I had Jehovah's marry into my family, converting my Cousin.
Thank f*** that didnt last too long. She saw sense, didnt really believe...

The c***s always wake you up on Sunday knocking at your door, for a religious conversation.*

Like most faith organisations, they sniff out the weak, with their proactive approach, then try pressure them into buying their f***ed perception of the world, lest ye not be saved when the time comes etc etc usual generic brainwashing tactics...

* "Conversation" of course, meaning they blank anything you might say that conflicts with their beliefs, whilst they soley want to convert the weak and vulnerable, of course.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 08:24 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

To be fair, the watchtower allows "elements" of blood such as plasma to be transferred now.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 09:33 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Oh how progressive of them.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2009 03:49 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Originally posted by inimalist
pejorative use of the term "cult"...

I think they spelled the "n" wrong....It seemed to come out as an "l" for some reason.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2009 03:52 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

'Sup, Bitches. Long time no see. 'Tis the Blaxican here. I miss you guys and feel like a dumbass for leaving. sad

Anyways... to put out the wildfire of ignorance with the waterbottle of awesometruth.

[B]1. EVANGELISM. denomination free-churches held in movie theatres with 'modern hymns' displayed on a screen. this is already 'accepted' as a part of conservative christianity.

quote:

I don't know if you're being literal or not but your description is only semi-accurate. Witnesses' sing before and after the meeting sessions, and depending on the length sometimes in the middle.

Definitely Conservative on many things. Intelligent Design is the most accepted idea. "It's possible Jehovah simply created evolution". Science is only disregarded when it directly contradicts Jehovah's existence.

quote:

Incorrect. The Ministry has stated many times that ultimately the interpretations it has of the Bible are based off of Human imperfect understanding. Whereas the writing of the bible is strictly Divinely inspired and thus "flawless", the literature produced by the Ministry is not. There have been "retcons" and many retractions of statements in the Ministry's word.

quote:
2. sounds cultish. but... who is "in" the watchtower. spiritual leaders? can it be compared as vatican:watchtower pope:spiritual leader? then, obviously smacks of catholicism, but may perhaps be a different interpretation on the church st. paul started..

There is ultimately a chairman but there isn't one figure who is responsible for all of the interpretations and the like. The Bible itself is seen as the only worldly thing with ultimate authority.

quote:

3. people of the jewish faith call god 'yahweh.' they want to call him by his name. jehovah is [i believe] mentioned in the bible in one of the many prophecies we see in the old testament. handel's 'the messiah' was based off scripture... ' [and he shall be called] wonderful, counselor, all-mighty god the everlasting father, the prince of peace.' jehovah could be aramaic, latin, greek... for messiah.

Pretty much.

quote:
"Recent" is October 1st, 1914. That's when Satan got cast out.

Correct. Also Witnesses' interpret certain scriptures to say that No one knows when the world will end, not even the angels and Jesus, only Jehovah himself.

4. There is no holy trinity. There is Jehovah, and his angels, Jesus being one of them. After Armageddon Jesus will become king of Earth, but only Jehovah is worshiped. When you pray Jesus is praised and admired for his sacrifice but only Jehovah is "worshiped".

quote:
because jesus + cross saved us from the 'real' hell, but we still have to pay for adam +eve + apple.

Just for reference, Witnesses' say "no" to the cross. Assuming the history around him is real, the man died on a wooden pole just like everyone else did. His arms were nailed together above his head. They weren't outstretched.

6. There is "hell", but only for very special people. Judas is going to that hell, I believe. However regular old people like us aren't going to hell. If you don't survive Armageddon, you're dead.

quote:

Wrong. There is only a limited number of people who will reside in Heaven. These people are called "The Anointed", and will help Jesus govern the Earthly Paradise after Armageddon. Only 144,000 people will become Anointed. The rest will just live on Earth in Paradise in eternal happiness and peace. If you are judged unworthy during Armageddon then you are killed and that is the end. You gets no Paradise, but you don't go to Hell either. You just cease to exist on all planes.

quote:
They would prefer to let their child die than accept the treatment.
What sort of sick c**t inflicts their beliefs on a child like that...?

It's not "sick" if you genuinely believe that you're saving your child from destruction. The Bible states that going against God's wishes to save your imperfect life in this "system of things" shows that you value this life more then the eternal life you're supposed to get. Though, as noted blood plasmas are aloud though full blown transplants aren't. [/quote]

quote:
Like most faith organisations, they sniff out the weak, with their proactive approach, then try pressure them into buying their f***ed perception of the world, lest ye not be saved when the time comes etc etc usual generic brainwashing tactics...

"Conversation" of course, meaning they blank anything you might say that conflicts with their beliefs, whilst they soley want to convert the weak and vulnerable, of course.

In their defense, they don't brainwash people anymore then the Government and schools and corporations do.

Hope you enjoyed your lesson for the day, kiddos. Tell Robbie I miss his ***** ass too.

Last edited by AthenasTrgrFngr on Sep 18th, 2009 at 05:01 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2009 04:55 AM
King Kandy

Sweet, I got pretty much everything right...

6. There is "hell", but only for very special people. Judas is going to that hell, I believe. However regular old people like us aren't going to hell. If you don't survive Armageddon, you're dead.

Are you certain about that? I could find nothing indicating there is any hell at all, officially.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2009 05:00 AM
Fëanor

At one time at the start of Christianity during its infancy, by and large the mainstream of society, e.g.: the Romans who still believed in the pantheon gods, and the Jews considered any who were called Christians (those jews that followed in Jesus' example of love, tolerance and a personal relationship with God) were called cultists and his brand of judaism a cult. That's just my opinion though.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2009 08:15 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

'Sup, Bitches. Long time no see. 'Tis the Blaxican here. I miss you guys and feel like a dumbass for leaving. sad

Anyways... to put out the wildfire of ignorance with the waterbottle of awesometruth.

It's not "sick" if you genuinely believe that you're saving your child from destruction. The Bible states that going against God's wishes to save your imperfect life in this "system of things" shows that you value this life more then the eternal life you're supposed to get. Though, as noted blood plasmas are aloud though full blown transplants aren't.

In their defense, they don't brainwash people anymore then the Government and schools and corporations do.

Hope you enjoyed your lesson for the day, kiddos. Tell Robbie I miss his ***** ass too.

Nope its sick/delluded. Period. Since its all silly made up fairy stories designed for control...Its like me saying the child must die cause I like the Star Wars and Vader lightsabred a bunch of kids.
Religion as child abuse.

Anyone with a low IQ enough to see life that way should be sterilised for the good of mankind, imo.

Yes governments and corporations are all a part of the control thing, but it doesnt offer mitigation of these irresponible pricks. smile

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 04:56 PM