KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.
Started by: Nactous

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (47): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's more forgiveable in an action game than, say, an RP.

But it's the language they use as well, as if they are making out that by simply being bigger and more powerful with the force powers, that the game will obviously be better. As if that is what is gaming is all about.

I mean, seriously, why is it any better, game wise, to make your foes explode with force lightning than to sabre them, or push them off a cliff, or what not? Why will any of this be innately cooler than the ages old Jedi Knight game? Even that game went too far, with easy lightning and strange drain/heal powers, but the trouble is that every game since then has felt the need to trump the scale of the powers, which means we're on a road to the point where your characters can destroy planets.

Someone has to tell these game makers to grow up, and think better, not just bigger. And if you want to make a game where you have the powers of a D&D Wizard... don't make it Star Wars. It doesn't happen there.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 15th, 2007 at 05:36 PM

Old Post Feb 15th, 2007 05:32 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lana
Yeah, but even the 'cool factor' is going to get boring. Being able to fling everything you see around like a nutcase will be fun...for a very short amount of time.

I definitely would prefer something that's realistic to the setting as frankly, I'd find that more fun to play for much longer.

Exactly, I'd rather use my mind a bit more than combining force powers to make a bomb.

The beginning of KOTOR is a good example of force powers, you have a couple powers, they aren't very powerful, there you go.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2007 05:41 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Gives us KOTOR III and Star Wars: Republic Commando II please.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2007 07:00 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

If you look at the game more closely its actually sort of a new approach. We have been playing as Jedi for who knows how long and I think playing Jedi is starting to become a repetitive thing. The game is shaping up to be like Jedi Knight series but this time we are the Sith who hunt down the last remenants of the Jedi. Just that alone should tell you that this wont be an easy task depending on the skill level of the person we are hunting but I tend to believe it will be hard. Apart from the storyline I think the game engine will be the best in all the Star Wars games so far because this time we will be able to manipulate objects almost like in Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.

big grin-- Laughing is good happy laughing--

Old Post Feb 15th, 2007 08:17 PM
LinixCobra is currently offline Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Ergh... Why do they have to do this? The player character STARTING with Lightning? WHY?

Star Wars isn't about destroying everything that comes your way. It's about getting into a crapload of trouble and being clever/lucky enough to get out of it with your skin still on.

Not to mention this is breaking the whole Rule of Two thing.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2007 08:29 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

How so? Even before this there was Dooku with Assaj an Grievous and Sideous with Maul and Dooku. Theres a difference between "Padawan", and lackey.

Last edited by Final Blaxican on Feb 15th, 2007 at 08:52 PM

Old Post Feb 15th, 2007 08:48 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Blaxican
How so? Even before this there was Dooku with Assaj an Grievous and Sideous with Maul and Dooku. Theres a difference between "Padawan", and lackey.

The press release itself calls this character Vader's "secret apprentice", that suggests he is more than just another lackey.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2007 09:05 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Soo not on either PC or Wii? Really disappointing, doesn't seem I will be getting this game then.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Feb 15th, 2007 10:02 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Morridini
Soo not on either PC or Wii? Really disappointing, doesn't seem I will be getting this game then.

I'm sure it will come out on PC. Don't hold your breath for a Wii port though.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2007 10:24 PM
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

I'm sure Lucasarts is doing the same as Sega, releasing one game on several platforms and another exclusive to the Wii. They're probably figuring out how to murder lightsaber combat with the Wiimote controls right now.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2007 10:42 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Not just a rule-breaking 'secret' apprentice, but one that is apparently considerably more powerful than vader too.

(sighs)

And declaring the game ios better because you can play Sith rather than Jedi is adolescent rasoning. "Oh cool, I am evil, that makes everything so great!"

Quality was in choice. Jedi Knight had perfectly good Light and Dark paths. We're going backwards.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 15th, 2007 11:54 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

If u look at the stuff at http://www.lucasarts.com/games/thef...technology.html then it almost feels like they use this game as a way to test out all the new things they can make. And just throwing in a plot that could have been written by a 13 year old.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Feb 16th, 2007 01:29 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Tech demo video... http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=42397

This has nothing to do with the story so enjoy. It gives me hope for the rest of the next gen games, hope they start using these engines.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2007 03:50 AM
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Not just a rule-breaking 'secret' apprentice, but one that is apparently considerably more powerful than vader too.

(sighs)

And declaring the game ios better because you can play Sith rather than Jedi is adolescent rasoning. "Oh cool, I am evil, that makes everything so great!"

Quality was in choice. Jedi Knight had perfectly good Light and Dark paths. We're going backwards.

I didnt exactly say it would be better to play Sith nor did I say it would be "cool" but I did say its a new approach which is something you dont like. How many times can you honestly play as a Jedi just to realize its gonna end the same as any other Star Wars game. You have your Light Path and then Dark Path and in the end no matter what you do you save a planet or race. Your so accustomed to it which is why this game will probably flot for a lot of people.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2007 03:55 AM
LinixCobra is currently offline Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

I think they should of distanced this game from the movies, im so sick of the same plot and characters.

Pull a Kotor and make it absolutely no way connected to the movies but still feel like Star Wars. But nope, we get to be Vader's apprentice(how the **** did he get one?) between 3 and 4, we are already getting 2 tv shows about this period.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2007 04:00 AM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

The time frame is bad. I would have prefered a different time frame.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2007 04:08 AM
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by LinixCobra
I didnt exactly say it would be better to play Sith nor did I say it would be "cool" but I did say its a new approach which is something you dont like. How many times can you honestly play as a Jedi just to realize its gonna end the same as any other Star Wars game. You have your Light Path and then Dark Path and in the end no matter what you do you save a planet or race. Your so accustomed to it which is why this game will probably flot for a lot of people.

I think you're completely and totally wrong about why Ush is not happy about this game. I mean, going by your reasoning, I'd think this game would be awesome because I love playing Dark Side in Star Wars, yet I think it's going to be garbage as well.

Why?

Because it is so utterly disconnected from the movies and what Star Wars and the Force are meant to be.

As I said earlier in the thread - do the people making these games know anything about Star Wars at all?

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Feb 16th, 2007 04:17 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

Originally posted by Lana
I think you're completely and totally wrong about why Ush is not happy about this game. I mean, going by your reasoning, I'd think this game would be awesome because I love playing Dark Side in Star Wars, yet I think it's going to be garbage as well.

Why?

Because it is so utterly disconnected from the movies and what Star Wars and the Force are meant to be.

As I said earlier in the thread - do the people making these games know anything about Star Wars at all?

Well Im not gonna try to convince USH that this game will be the best Star Wars game to date nor am I saying it will be the best because I dont think anyone has seen it, if he doesnt like the idea then thats his thing. All im saying is that it can be argued that the storyline of us using lightsaber to fight and save planets or race thing has been done to death and that this can be seen as a new appraoch.

Im actually confused because they say your Darth Vaders apprentice and the storyline will have you make choices which will change the future so if its anything like KOTOR and say you change to light side will you face Vader seeing as he is the main bad guy now?

Here is the Tech Demo:

http://gamedrift.com/articles.php?a=265

Last edited by LinixCobra on Feb 16th, 2007 at 04:34 AM

Old Post Feb 16th, 2007 04:30 AM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I can't believe you people are moaning and complaining about something so trivial as "plot" and "depth". Killing the Stormtroopers in such ways is already enough incentive to get this.

The sooner people realize that zero plot and intense violonce is becoming the dominant factor in gaming, the sooner people will be happier...

Old Post Feb 16th, 2007 06:11 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NinthCorona

Originally posted by Blaxican
I can't believe you people are moaning and complaining about something so trivial as "plot" and "depth". Killing the Stormtroopers in such ways is already enough incentive to get this.

The sooner people realize that zero plot and intense violonce is becoming the dominant factor in gaming, the sooner people will be happier...
I'd say it's the reverse in FPS'. Doom, Hexen, Corridor 7, Wolfenstein, etc - and now we have F.E.A.R., Halo series, etc.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2007 06:19 AM
NinthCorona is currently offline Click here to Send NinthCorona a Private Message Find more posts by NinthCorona Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote