KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » Which of the original Trilogy is best?

Which Indiana Jones film is best?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
The Raiders of the Lost Ark 32 43.84%
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 13 17.81%
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 28 38.36%
Total: 73 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Which of the original Trilogy is best?
Started by: Strangelove

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DarthLazious
Dark Lord of the KMC

I can't wait for the new flim.

http://thewilloftheforce.webs.com/

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2008 02:50 PM
DarthLazious is currently offline Click here to Send DarthLazious a Private Message Find more posts by DarthLazious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Not really on topic, but okay. So do I.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2008 03:00 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzaoying

Raiders is my favorite. I was disappointed by the sequels. I suppose it's personal taste which one is more exciting and which one has the most thrills, but Raiders of the Lost Ark is by far the best one when it comes to overall quality. It was an example of excellent film making, not just a fun action flick, which the sequels were. If you watch Raiders again, notice the dialogue and the depth of the characters, the atmosphere, the attention to details. It was taken much more seriously by the filmmakers. The characters seemed like real, intelligent, genuine people instead of just two dimensional characters. Even the villains were more intelligent and distinguished. The humor was more natural as well. That's why this one was nominated for best movie at the Oscars. It was an example of a classic Hollywood film.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2008 09:00 AM
Tzaoying is currently offline Click here to Send Tzaoying a Private Message Find more posts by Tzaoying Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Belloq was indeed a great bad guy.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2008 10:48 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BetrayedUnicorn
...its science,dear

I would have to say raiders of the lost ark, in this case the first is the best.

-Saint Nicholas-

Old Post Apr 29th, 2008 08:53 PM
BetrayedUnicorn is currently offline Click here to Send BetrayedUnicorn a Private Message Find more posts by BetrayedUnicorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yup

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:59 AM
Mr Parker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tzaoying
Raiders is my favorite. I was disappointed by the sequels. I suppose it's personal taste which one is more exciting and which one has the most thrills, but Raiders of the Lost Ark is by far the best one when it comes to overall quality. It was an example of excellent film making, not just a fun action flick, which the sequels were. If you watch Raiders again, notice the dialogue and the depth of the characters, the atmosphere, the attention to details. It was taken much more seriously by the filmmakers. The characters seemed like real, intelligent, genuine people instead of just two dimensional characters. Even the villains were more intelligent and distinguished. The humor was more natural as well. That's why this one was nominated for best movie at the Oscars. It was an example of a classic Hollywood film.

great post.well said. thumb up

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 02:43 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

I think I like raiders the best actually... which is weird because the third used to be my favorite. I watched all of them again recently and think that raiders had the best story and the best overall tone... it was a pretty damn serious movie with some comic relief here and there. The second one had the best action scenes IMO but was way too dark (the whole sacrifice scene was too much) and the third one was good mainly because it brought all of the characters back but was way too comedic. It seemed like I was almost watching a kids movie at times.

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 10:56 PM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

Here's a great video where the cast of Indy IV share their appreciation for the Original Trilogy cool

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?optio...link&id=990

Old Post May 1st, 2008 10:17 AM
Stun is currently offline Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

pfffft... the first one I think... the third was great with Connery, but it focused too much on them instead of the quest I think

the second one is by far the worst

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post May 3rd, 2008 10:13 PM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Least best, I would say. stick out tongue

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:07 PM
Admiral Akbar

I actually enjoyed TLS because of that father son element. The chemistry between both Connery and Ford made the film a lot more interesting to watch.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:40 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It did. It didn't leave much room for the female element though. But then Else is very hot, she's no Marion.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 06:42 AM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Originally posted by Spartan005
I think I like raiders the best actually... which is weird because the third used to be my favorite. I watched all of them again recently and think that raiders had the best story and the best overall tone... it was a pretty damn serious movie with some comic relief here and there. The second one had the best action scenes IMO but was way too dark (the whole sacrifice scene was too much) and the third one was good mainly because it brought all of the characters back but was way too comedic. It seemed like I was almost watching a kids movie at times.

I felt exactly the same way. I used to think The Last Crusade was the best one, and I still think it's very very good. I disagree it's like a kids' movie. It's about an adult relationship with one's parent, the Holy Grail is the perfect archeological find for Indy, and I think it shows us the seriousness of the Nazi regime better than ROTLA. Plus it has Sean Connery.

That said, Raiders is still the best one. I agree it has the best story and tone. Sallah is less a comic figure and is a much better sidekick than in TLC. Marion could kick Elsa's ass, and Belloq and that little guy could run rings around Donovan.

I just don't get The Temple of Doom's appeal. Willie is far too annoying and doesn't contribute in the slightest. The other two movies didn't ridicule foreign cultures or make them out to be barbaric. The dinner party scene is just a little too politically incorrect and is more low-brow humor than expected of an Indy film. And I just don't care for Indy going evil all of a sudden. He's flawed and usually bites off more than he can chew, which is part of his charm, but that decision just seemed so out of place to me.

Last edited by willofthewisp on Jun 9th, 2008 at 08:09 PM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2008 08:07 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Good attempt in my view. It beats gophers and monkeys.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2008 09:51 PM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

I'll try not to knock it as much. Mind telling me why you like it? Just curious.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2008 01:26 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Indy II, you mean? Well, it kinda works I think. Willie's rather awful, I didn't like Short Round very much. But a lot of scenes are very good. The opening scene, the plane crash, the bridge scene (Indy's "Oh shit", is a classic). I like the characters of Mola Ram and the Prime minister. Even the stones... what the heck are they, but who cares... they are the perfect McGuffin, unlike the Crystal Skull.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2008 06:44 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

It also was darrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk.

Just like "Empire".

Middle act.....darkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. yes

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jun 11th, 2008 07:16 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Originally posted by queeq
Indy II, you mean? Well, it kinda works I think. Willie's rather awful, I didn't like Short Round very much. But a lot of scenes are very good. The opening scene, the plane crash, the bridge scene (Indy's "Oh shit", is a classic). I like the characters of Mola Ram and the Prime minister. Even the stones... what the heck are they, but who cares... they are the perfect McGuffin, unlike the Crystal Skull.

Lol, at least we agree that Willie and Short Round suck. The bridge scene is rather good and who can resist Indy swearing? But it just doesn't have that Indy-feel to me. I like Act 2=darker, but this imo just bypassed dark and went alien.

Why do you think the skull is not a good McGuffin? It fits the definition and in all of Indy's movies, you could argue all the artifacts he goes after are McGuffins, couldn't you?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2008 08:58 PM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

of course all the artifacts are McGuffins... otherwise for instance Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark would be about chasing a rhino in the serengetti.
Almost per definition people go after the McGuffin: Maltese Falcon, right?

The reason why the crystal skull wasn't good as McGuffin: they found it way too early: in all the previous movies they had to go find it and then keep it away from the Nazi's. Here, that didn't happen at all.
Because of this, the entire [SPOILER - highlight to read]: alien-thing was WAY into your face. During Indy movies, you have to accept that there is a supernatural part: the Ark which destroys everyone, the Holy Grail and eternal life ... but because the skull was in it already, you were constantly reminded [SPOILER - highlight to read]: about the aliens.

If they had made it like the old movies: let them go search the skull for 75% of the movie or more, and THAN reveal what it is things would have worked out better... besides the numerous scenes which were lousy.

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2008 09:11 PM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote