KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » New Radiohead Album

New Radiohead Album
Started by: Victor Von Doom

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

New Radiohead Album

...is out in ten days, according to their site.

'citing.

Last edited by Victor Von Doom on Oct 1st, 2007 at 01:24 AM

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 01:16 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

I'm not sure I'm a fan of their minimalist tendencies. By their own admission they are being very minimalist on this album. I will try and listen to it, but I won't be buying until I know.

On another note, this album release will probably put Hail to the Thief into Platinum territory.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 01:24 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

I don't really think they are minimal. Which songs make you think that?

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 01:25 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I don't really think they are minimal. Which songs make you think that?
I haven't listened to Hail to the Thief in a very long while and didn't like it that much for that reason, so I'll just say a lot of songs off that album (although I think it is decent). Their sounds aren't as thick, not as busy as I'd think. Pretty sparse, increasing bass, and less guitar driven as of late. The variance in repititions were getting a little to subtle for me. But I'm really into riff based rock, so this later stuff isn't as much to my taste. I guess some would say that they have matured past my taste, but whatever, if I wasn't relaxed music I'll listen to Nick Drake or something like that.

Last edited by Nellinator on Oct 1st, 2007 at 01:41 AM

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 01:38 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Less guitar driven, but with more emphasis on other instruments. It's not like they just took guitars out to lessen the sound.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 01:40 AM
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Less guitar driven, but with more emphasis on other instruments. It's not like they just took guitars out to lessen the sound.
But guitar has the distortion and the good reverb I wanna hear. Yorke's keyboards aren't dense enough for me as a hardcore piano player and lover. The bass has been increased, which I like, but bass is meh without the guitar for me.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 01:43 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

So it lacks what you like.

It's not necessarily minimal in general.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 01:58 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
So it lacks what you like.

It's not necessarily minimal in general.

-AC
Not always, but it is as far as rock goes. Yorke talks about minimalist composers and it seems to be a direction he is exploring.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 02:30 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's still a rock album though.

That said, rock is a bit too much of a restrictive term for Radiohead if they keep going, if it isn't already.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 02:44 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Nellinator
Not always, but it is as far as rock goes. Yorke talks about minimalist composers and it seems to be a direction he is exploring.

They aren't minimal rock and nothing else, though, they fill the space with other things.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:16 AM
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Sometimes. We shall see how sparse this album is though.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:28 AM
Refused
Iconoclast

This is the most exiting news in music in a very long time. I got like a sort of hot flash when i heard the news.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 06:18 AM
Refused is currently offline Click here to Send Refused a Private Message Find more posts by Refused Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pepperjeff

I like how you can name your own price for the download. Although I'm kind of tempted to get the vinyl, but 80 bucks is steep.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 09:55 PM
pepperjeff is currently offline Click here to Send pepperjeff a Private Message Find more posts by pepperjeff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

So for the normal CD we have to wait until next year yes? if you don't want the download form.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 10:34 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by MildPossession
So for the normal CD we have to wait until next year yes? if you don't want the download form.

They haven't said when yet.

You can just get the download though and pay a fair price for it.

It's quite ingenious really, because it somehow makes illegal downloading look (more) unpalatable, while actually ensuring the band will make the same amount if not more from the album.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 10:42 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

You can also get the discbox version which is 40 pounds.

So, the question is, whats the price your willing to pay for the download?

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2007 04:29 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I originally just bought the digital version because I intended to them buy the regular CD, because I was informed it'd contain the bonus disc, but it may not, so I bought the discbox.

With the download, obviously some idiots will pay nothing (Even though they can), but Radiohead will make it back because the money is going directly to them.

I played £3.45, cos I was always gonna buy the CD anyway, then another £40 for the discbox. If you're not gonna buy the CD or discbox, I'd play £8 or more for the download, CD price.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2007 04:47 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'm doing $10 because I am going to buy the CD when it comes out eventually.

I'm not going to buy the discbox because its $80 in Canadian and I cant justify the price.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2007 07:15 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I originally just bought the digital version because I intended to them buy the regular CD, because I was informed it'd contain the bonus disc, but it may not, so I bought the discbox.

With the download, obviously some idiots will pay nothing (Even though they can), but Radiohead will make it back because the money is going directly to them.

I played £3.45, cos I was always gonna buy the CD anyway, then another £40 for the discbox. If you're not gonna buy the CD or discbox, I'd play £8 or more for the download, CD price.

-AC
At that rate they'll make a lot more this way. Usually the artists only make around $1 per cd sold. If Radiohead has a good deal they might get $2 or £1 or something like that. Also, more people will probably buy this way. I think this might be a cash magnet.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2007 07:33 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course, as VVD mentioned earlier;

Even if some don't pay, Radiohead are probably making it up by people who buy the discbox or pay more than £2 per download.

Smart really.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2007 07:43 AM