KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » The Orange Box

The Orange Box
Started by: BackFire

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

Having friends with expendable income is great. I've been co-oping (splitting controlling time) with a friend and helping him beat Portal. Next we're co-oping on Spider-Man: Friend or Foe, where we can both actually play simultaneously.

And when I finally get a 360, I'm just borrowing the entire Orange Box, and probably buying him a beer or two in return. Good times.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2007 07:31 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by InnerRise
No no.

I'm not saying that the spy shouldn't be able to be shot at.

That's kind of a ridiculous want.

I'm saying that teammates should be able to damage each other.

I'm hoping this would deter people from shooting at others so fast who they aren't sure are team members or spys being that they would know that they could potentially damage or kill a teammate.

Well, off to play some more Team Fortress 2 and get cheated for choosing to play as a Spy.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

That's exactly what you said.

You said that the game should punish players from shooting thier own teammates to see if they're a spy or not.

I said if the spy cant be shot at (aka team damage) then the spy class is totally out of balance. You have to shoot at the each class coming near you just in case its a spy. What's the problem with that?

Why do you care if somebody shoots you if your playing a class and they think your a spy?

Is it because you get shot when you trying to backstap somebody?

If thats the case, thats the whole point of being a spy. You have to have skill to showcase that your pretending to be on thier team. If thats not the case, then I have no idea what your problem is, who cares if somebody on your team shoots you to see if your a spy. That's Team Fortress.

I like the new TF. It made less complex to play increasing the fun of it. I'm glad medics cant infect people, which in turn infect everybody. It wasnt fun. You just sat thier waiting to die most of the time because if you tried to get health, you would just infect the whole team by mistake. I'm also glad they took away the hulligenic grenades, and grenades in general. They were just annoying and people would just throw constently throw them everywhere for the sake of it.

They had friendlly fire in the other one and it was annoying. You have to remember that your not the only one getting hit. When everybody gets in a brawl near all those small little chokepoints, having team damage would just ruin it considering everybody weapon has splash damage, or area of effect type guns, ie heavy weapon gun.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2007 08:43 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I linked this guys videos in Bioshock and Halo 3 and I might as well do Orange Box.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/17/z...t-loves-portal/

Old Post Oct 17th, 2007 08:45 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Portal is just amazing a bit short but imagine if it gets to be a full game on it's own

Old Post Oct 17th, 2007 08:56 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by DigiMark007
I need an XBox first. So I'll have to wait.

erm

Me, too. I'll have one by income tax return season.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Oct 17th, 2007 09:02 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Smasandian
That's exactly what you said.

You said that the game should punish players from shooting thier own teammates to see if they're a spy or not.

I said if the spy cant be shot at (aka team damage) then the spy class is totally out of balance. You have to shoot at the each class coming near you just in case its a spy. What's the problem with that?

Why do you care if somebody shoots you if your playing a class and they think your a spy?

Is it because you get shot when you trying to backstap somebody?

If thats the case, thats the whole point of being a spy. You have to have skill to showcase that your pretending to be on thier team. If thats not the case, then I have no idea what your problem is, who cares if somebody on your team shoots you to see if your a spy. That's Team Fortress.

I like the new TF. It made less complex to play increasing the fun of it. I'm glad medics cant infect people, which in turn infect everybody. It wasnt fun. You just sat thier waiting to die most of the time because if you tried to get health, you would just infect the whole team by mistake. I'm also glad they took away the hulligenic grenades, and grenades in general. They were just annoying and people would just throw constently throw them everywhere for the sake of it.

They had friendlly fire in the other one and it was annoying. You have to remember that your not the only one getting hit. When everybody gets in a brawl near all those small little chokepoints, having team damage would just ruin it considering everybody weapon has splash damage, or area of effect type guns, ie heavy weapon gun.
You're not making sense. You're not reading my posts.

You twisting things on purpose or you're just not getting the jest of my posts.

Just drop it and enjoy the game. It's not that serious. Just my concern and my opinion on how things should work, which you don't seem to be understanding.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Oct 17th, 2007 09:38 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

What's your point then?

Add friendly fire?

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 04:22 AM
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Exactly.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 04:25 AM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

And how does my post not make any sense in regarding your post.

I said friendly fire was annoying because you would have mass choas. Everybody would die because pretty every class has a main weapon that has splash damage. What's the point of advancing with a group of teammates when you cant fire the HW gun, or you cant shoot rockets up close, or you cant use the grenade launcher anywhere near your group. They will all die because everybody is cramped up. The game will be off balance towards the defence. Every choke point would have a HW guy blocking it but nonbody can advance because everybody is getting injured from teammate guns.

It also helps with teammates ruining the game experience for people. One major problem with TFC was that one guy could easily destroy the game by killing his own players. It's annoying.

I'm glad there isnt friendly fire. It make sense. The game is totally unrealistic.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 04:31 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The point of the spy is to make the other team THINK you are on their team. It is actually difficult to do, as it should be. You have to make the other teammembers say "Nah, he's not a spy obviously".

Like, if you're posed as an Engineer in 2fort, go hang out down in the basement or near a sentry gun, like real engineers do. Or if you're posed as a sniper hang out over at the sniper ledge-area. You have to earn the trust of the other team by acting like how the class you're disguised as is expected to act.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 05:41 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Smasandian
And how does my post not make any sense in regarding your post.

I said friendly fire was annoying because you would have mass choas. Everybody would die because pretty every class has a main weapon that has splash damage. What's the point of advancing with a group of teammates when you cant fire the HW gun, or you cant shoot rockets up close, or you cant use the grenade launcher anywhere near your group. They will all die because everybody is cramped up. The game will be off balance towards the defence. Every choke point would have a HW guy blocking it but nonbody can advance because everybody is getting injured from teammate guns.

It also helps with teammates ruining the game experience for people. One major problem with TFC was that one guy could easily destroy the game by killing his own players. It's annoying.

I'm glad there isnt friendly fire. It make sense. The game is totally unrealistic.
I know what you said. Still doesn't change the fact that I wish there was friendly fire and I'm glad you finally got the understanding of my message finally.

Originally posted by BackFire
The point of the spy is to make the other team THINK you are on their team. It is actually difficult to do, as it should be. You have to make the other teammembers say "Nah, he's not a spy obviously".

Like, if you're posed as an Engineer in 2fort, go hang out down in the basement or near a sentry gun, like real engineers do. Or if you're posed as a sniper hang out over at the sniper ledge-area. You have to earn the trust of the other team by acting like how the class you're disguised as is expected to act.

Yeah, I know, but that doesn't really matter with no penalty. It's just easier to shoot just in case and that's exactly what they do, no matter how good of a job you're doing.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 05:55 AM
BackFire

Nah, that's bs. If you give them no reason to shoot most won't. I play spy sometimes, and I'm by no means a master at it, but the amount of people that shoot you when you're playing convincingly as the class you're disguised as is far less than when you're running around aimlessly as a sniper down in the flag area. It still happens, yeah, but not that much, from my experiences.

Every class has it's drawbacks, this is the spy's. There's always that chance that someone will just randomly shoot at you and blow your cover.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 06:00 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

When I first started, which was like a day after the game came out, the random shooting "just in case" hardly happened, then people got use to he game and now it's all they do.

I've pretended to be the sniper up in the sniper area and get shot from behind "just in case".

I've been the engineer down in the Basement of the enemy and shot at "just in case"

It's happens more often than not.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 06:05 AM
BackFire

Again, that's just the drawback to the class, it's done for balance. You will eventually get figured out. And yes, random shots 'just to be safe' will **** you over. But again, it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. In fact from my experiences that happens the minority of the time.

As a spy you shouldn't be spending to much time hanging around looking convincing, either. You need to kill quickly, as soon as you get the opportunity. Specifically against someone who is preoccupied doing something else -- The sniper who's zoomed in all alone on the ledge, the demoman who's busy setting up a boobytrap down in the flag area, the engineer who's building his sentry gun, these guys should be easy prey and are your primary targets as a spy.

Also, it's key to change your costume and strategy pretty regularly. Like, after every kill.

Really though, all it takes to make the other team uneasy is one single kill from a spy, I don't like to play the spy for long periods of time, because after you kill one guy that flags the rest of the team that there is a spy around and that's when the random shooting to be safe happens.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 06:12 AM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

portal has a glitch which is really pissing me off. every time i complete an advanced map it disacknowledges another advance map. i beat all the advanced maps and wondered why i never got the achievement. figured maybe im just getting alzheimers, so i beat them again. so first it said that i only had maps 13, 14, 17, 18 completed. (absurd since i completed them in order). so i go back to redo 15 and 16, and guess what? apparently now i never completed 17 and 18. laadeeefrikin daaa
so tonight i just finished maps 17 and 18...again. now it seems that once again i never finished 15 and 16.

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 07:02 AM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by BackFire
Again, that's just the drawback to the class, it's done for balance. You will eventually get figured out. And yes, random shots 'just to be safe' will **** you over. But again, it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. In fact from my experiences that happens the minority of the time.

As a spy you shouldn't be spending to much time hanging around looking convincing, either. You need to kill quickly, as soon as you get the opportunity. Specifically against someone who is preoccupied doing something else -- The sniper who's zoomed in all alone on the ledge, the demoman who's busy setting up a boobytrap down in the flag area, the engineer who's building his sentry gun, these guys should be easy prey and are your primary targets as a spy.

Also, it's key to change your costume and strategy pretty regularly. Like, after every kill.

Really though, all it takes to make the other team uneasy is one single kill from a spy, I don't like to play the spy for long periods of time, because after you kill one guy that flags the rest of the team that there is a spy around and that's when the random shooting to be safe happens.

Nothing is more scarier than knowing a spy is lurking about when I'm a sniper.

I pretty much only play sniper because I absolutly suck at everything else. I started as a sniper in TFC and played that everytime. I'm just stuck with it now.

Inner, I understood what your talking about and I replied that friendly fire wouldnt be beneficial to the overall game just because a spy might get shot in the back a few times. Have you ever thought that maybe they shot you because they knew you were a spy.

I do it all the time. I see a guy coming towards me, I shoot him. If not, I die.

As Backfire said, every class has drawbacks. It's the balancing of the game, and extremely effective balancing I might add.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 07:14 AM
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Smas, I said I understood what YOU were saying. I understand. OK?

I won't agree though and still wish there was friendly fire. Please stop making me repeat myself. It'd be over if you'd accept the fact that it's my opinion and it's staying. Ok?

And I've been playing with the spy for the majority and I know what to do and what not to do. Backfire explained it. It's not all about being obvious everytime. Once a team knows a spy is on the loose, they shoot everybody just to make sure.

I get your point, I get his.

Nothing else needs to be said really on the matter.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 07:29 AM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

good, so you accept that you're wrong

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 07:34 AM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

I just beat episode 2. Best part of the entire Half Life 2 experience. Stunning narrative, the best I've ever experienced in a shooter.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 09:57 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, it was amazing.

The last battle is awesome, and then ending sequence is one of the best I've seen in a shooter also.

Some people dont realize that story doesnt make the game play well, its how they tell the story. Half Life series has a pretty standerd FPS story, but how its told is what makes sense really good.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2007 05:50 PM