KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Comic Book Mythbuster

Comic Book Mythbuster
Started by: id369

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (28): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Comic Book Mythbuster

OBD Mythbusters purpose.
To use this thread, and destroy any fabricated or misuse of a scan/claim, through formal explanation and backings.

In the OBD early years, we where brought to believe many things. One of the more sinister internet myths was Superman Prime owning The Sword of Truth. It was brought to an end, when several members brought forth an argument that S. Prime never held the sword in any showings. And that the myth originated when 3 items (among the them SoT), where seen on the cover of the comic book.

Currently there are several respect threads, that misuse a scan’s fear or inserting a quote manipulation. Members pick up on these, fabricated claims and horribly spread un-weighted claims. Instead of attacking and spamming individual threads. I will simply put my claims in this topic .

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 07:05 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Onslaught beats Jean Grey with the "Phoenix Force".

The scans that are used in the claim.
(please log in to view the image)

What claimer fails to mention, acknowledge, or is where of.
Moments before the encounter, Onslaught attempts to persuade Jean to join him by promising to rekindle her former glorious power (albeit the Phoenix Force). I really should not go any farther then that, but for some members its not clear enough.

Do not be fooled by Phoenix Effect, it can and has bin replicated by other members in the material world (Nate Grey and Exiles Hyperstorm come to mind). Let alone the fact, that they are in the “Astral Plane”, where elaborate holograms, and astral projections are easy to form.

The Phoenix Force, had left this plane of existence and returned to its natural state. It left its power, and essence to Rachael. Excalibur #64 - April 1993

Rachael Summers, was seen wielding the Phoenix Force in; Askni Rising December 1999

Once Onslaught was identified, simulations where taking place to find out how the X-Men would deal with Onslaught. In one of many simulations, through the death of Scoot. Jean “Could” manifest the Phoenix Force. - The Uncanny X-Man #375

In X-Men Forever (January 2001) - under the threat of “The Stranger”, Jean still did no have the Phoenix Force with her.

Jean did not begin to manifest the Phoenix Rapture until New X-Men #120 - Jan 2002.

The Verdict - Mythbusted - False.
Onslaught never beat Jean with the Phoenix Force, since The Phoenix Force did not reside within Jean to begin with. Yes Jean took on the CODE NAME, Phoenix but it’s a code name to honoring Rachael request. Incidentally the Phoenix Force does return back to Jean, after 8 years after Onslaught incident.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 07:07 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Priest

Great Thread thumb up
I think the whole OE doesn't work on Superman because he protected by the source should be investigated..

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 08:30 PM
Priest is currently offline Click here to Send Priest a Private Message Find more posts by Priest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Priest
Great Thread thumb up
I think the whole OE doesn't work on Superman because he protected by the source should be investigated..

Not particularly. It is an In-canon explanation for why Darksieds Insta-kill power doesn't work on DC's flagship character.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 09:00 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Awesome idea. And maybe after a few dozen good myths we can repost the thread with the analyses at the front of the thread.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 09:23 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

How far are you going to go with this? Because there are so many instances where people go off a single page or even a single panel not knowing there are critical components they are missing from earlier or later in the comic or arc.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 09:33 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I move that MrMaster and GS not be allowed into this thread ever. I have nothing against either one but this is the type of thread that attracts their arguing, which would bury everything else.

Anyway I think an analysis of Thanos' fight with Champion where people say he mentions that he "fears the Hulk" deserves an analysis here.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 10:00 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Anyway I think an analysis of Thanos' fight with Champion where people say he mentions that he "fears the Hulk" deserves an analysis here.
I've broken down that before...

Hold on.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 10:07 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Thanos is scared of the Hulk.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...osQuest1-31.jpg

Now, all Thanos says is that he has avoided this battle, or sought to avoid. It never says he's scared of Hulk; it's more along the lines of: "I'd fight him, but I'd rather not."

Now, this is also before Thanos had actually ever met Hulk as well, and before his upgrade(s). Thanos didn't know him, or know his power... he just heard the hearsay I guess on Hulk. It's incredibly hard to judge something based on that, and based on the hearsay of Hulk... a lot of people would avoid a battle with him as well.

Also, after his upgrade Thanos did something in particular that pertains to this, that he would never had done before.
What he did was journey into the Nexus of Realities. He specifically says that he would never have done this in his previous body. Which could also mean that he wouldn't have fought Hulk in his previous body as well:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...osQuest1-09.jpg

Plus, even if he did fear Hulk as the myth has led us to believe, it's incredibly off base for Thanos, and his history. He's fought Galactus, Beyonder, Odin, Tyrant, and beings of that nature. Of course this is after he was re-incarnated, which could mean that it might be OK in a debate against Pre-Hat Thanos, but not Thanos after he was brought back.

Also, the most visible part of this myth that the people who use this fail to see, is that he says that Champion is akin to fighting Hulk, and he would rather avoid that battle... but at the same time he went into battle with Champion. Which would be like going into battle with Hulk.
Which, on its own would rule out Thanos being scared of Hulk.

Also, of course, evidence.
These first two parts of Hulk/Thanos are from 'Infinity War'. What is relevant about this, is that Thanos was weaker in this series. He was only at about half power, or he got a power up (either one makes him weaker than he is now).
Based on after he ate his Thanos clone:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...yWatch10-21.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...yWatch10-22.jpg

Anyway.
He insults Hulk, when he has his own back turned.
[IW]

Hulk, and Earth heroes can't break the shield...
[IW]

Thanos and Warlock do it in one shot.
[IW]

What's the first thing he does?
Go after Hulk and Thing, insulting them.
[IW]

Of course...
"Strange, leash your dog, or I will."

He is so scared of Hulk... he gets between him and Namor, and puts them both in bubbles they can't break out.

Thanos clone. And this one I believe is the one from Kazar... which would make him a low level Thanos clone.
This is quite interesting actually.

The funny thing is... that he was actually planning on giving HULK POWER.

Can't go out without this...

Now, everything about Hulk/Thanos points to Thanos having no fear of Hulk. The only way this myth can be relevant, is if Hulk was fighting Post resurrection Thanos, and even then, fear/avoiding a battle doesn't equate into you being weaker than the opponent.
This is one of the most annoying things people say, and IMO at least, this is totally busted.
Busted

Last edited by One Big Mob on Jan 12th, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 10:43 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

This looks like a promising idea. thumb up

Co-sign with Sym. Mr. M and GS would bury this with their cosmics arguements.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 11:15 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nihilist

Originally posted by Mr. Slippyfist
Thanos is scared of the Hulk.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...osQuest1-31.jpg

Now, all Thanos says is that he has avoided this battle, or sought to avoid. It never says he's scared of Hulk; it's more along the lines of: "I'd fight him, but I'd rather not."

Now, this is also before Thanos had actually ever met Hulk as well, and before his upgrade(s). Thanos didn't know him, or know his power... he just heard the hearsay I guess on Hulk. It's incredibly hard to judge something based on that, and based on the hearsay of Hulk... a lot of people would avoid a battle with him as well.

Also, after his upgrade Thanos did something in particular that pertains to this, that he would never had done before.
What he did was journey into the Nexus of Realities. He specifically says that he would never have done this in his previous body. Which could also mean that he wouldn't have fought Hulk in his previous body as well:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...osQuest1-09.jpg

Plus, even if he did fear Hulk as the myth has led us to believe, it's incredibly off base for Thanos, and his history. He's fought Galactus, Beyonder, Odin, Tyrant, and beings of that nature. Of course this is after he was re-incarnated, which could mean that it might be OK in a debate against Pre-Hat Thanos, but not Thanos after he was brought back.

Also, the most visible part of this myth that the people who use this fail to see, is that he says that Champion is akin to fighting Hulk, and he would rather avoid that battle... but at the same time he went into battle with Champion. Which would be like going into battle with Hulk.
Which, on its own would rule out Thanos being scared of Hulk.

Also, of course, evidence.
These first two parts of Hulk/Thanos are from 'Infinity War'. What is relevant about this, is that Thanos was weaker in this series. He was only at about half power, or he got a power up (either one makes him weaker than he is now).
Based on after he ate his Thanos clone:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...yWatch10-21.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...yWatch10-22.jpg

Anyway.
He insults Hulk, when he has his own back turned.
[IW]

Hulk, and Earth heroes can't break the shield...
[IW]

Thanos and Warlock do it in one shot.
[IW]

What's the first thing he does?
Go after Hulk and Thing, insulting them.
[IW]

Of course...
"Strange, leash your dog, or I will."

He is so scared of Hulk... he gets between him and Namor, and puts them both in bubbles they can't break out.

Thanos clone. And this one I believe is the one from Kazar... which would make him a low level Thanos clone.
This is quite interesting actually.

The funny thing is... that he was actually planning on giving HULK POWER.

Can't go out without this...

Now, everything about Hulk/Thanos points to Thanos having no fear of Hulk. The only way this myth can be relevant, is if Hulk was fighting Post resurrection Thanos, and even then, fear/avoiding a battle doesn't equate into you being weaker than the opponent.

This is one of the most annoying things people say, and IMO at least, this is totally busted.
Busted

great post,not that the thanos haters will take a blind bit if notice

Big thanks to Scythe

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 11:50 PM
Nihilist is currently offline Click here to Send Nihilist a Private Message Find more posts by Nihilist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

We technically can't block members from posting, so the idea about Master and GS will have to remain just a suggestion. I would hope that they'll be able to stick to protocol, see that this is a promising thread, and not overwhelm us with their debates. But they're certainly welcome to contribute, just so long as it remains as brief and respectful as possible.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2008 04:38 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Thanks for the approval. It seems that many of the popular claims, go with out reading through the material and just looking at the scan (I will admit, I have done them plenty of times). However, I do think this thread could stare some controversy. Let it be out of fanboysim or different point of views.

Note: Cable beating X-Man, gets on my nerve. I think I’ll do this one next.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2008 05:02 AM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

I'd do the myth of "Apocalypse being an equal or greater telepath than Xavier." but that's already been outlined and busted in multiple threads.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2008 05:04 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
I'd do the myth of "Apocalypse being an equal or greater telepath than Xavier." but that's already been outlined and busted in multiple threads.

Might be worth a repost.

Anyway, I have 1-2 I can contribute too. One from Authority and one for Spider-Man.

And it's kind of unfortunate how some respect threads are run these days. Our respect forum is great, so I'm not complaining, but occasionally you get the "what can I get away with?" mentality rather than just trying to show what someone is capable of and what their limitations are. "Capability" threads are probably better than "respect" threads, if only because the name suggests a slightly different intent....informing others rather than boosting a character's rep.

Oh, and as long as we're suggesting things that should stay out of this thread, I'm making a quasi-official rule that Storm stuff isn't allowed. No freaking way I'm letting that idiocy take over this thread.

And people should also feel free to validate myths if they are true as well. This thread can run both ways, so long as the analysis is thorough and as objective as possible.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2008 05:13 AM
Bad Ash231
Harbinger of Dur

Nah.

The myth of "Apocalypse can't defeat the X-Men" is better.

Sig by Inhuman

Old Post Jan 13th, 2008 05:17 AM
Bad Ash231 is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Ash231 a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Ash231 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

I may do that Plasticman is immune to telepathy...

or that Fernus was a better telepath then Jonn...

Old Post Jan 13th, 2008 08:18 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

*wants so badly to show that the sacrifice fight isnt an example of wonder woman hanging with a super amped superman*

shifty

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 13th, 2008 09:01 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

I think you should do the "Rachel Grey has been cited an Omega Level Mutant" myth since you were the one who busted that.

Last edited by ExodusCloak on Jan 13th, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Old Post Jan 13th, 2008 10:16 PM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barney
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by pr1983
*wants so badly to show that the sacrifice fight isnt an example of wonder woman hanging with a super amped superman*

shifty
Go for it.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2008 10:19 PM
Barney is currently offline Click here to Send Barney a Private Message Find more posts by Barney Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote