KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » James Cameron to announce Jesus tomb discovery.

James Cameron to announce Jesus tomb discovery.
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Where do you get the information that the Jews openly admit that the body was gone?

The fact that they claim that the body was stolen. It might be in the Talmud, can't remember though.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 06:56 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Nellinator
The fact that they claim that the body was stolen. It might be in the Talmud, can't remember though.

Could you check on that, please.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 06:59 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Sure. It's actually in the early Jewish writings called the Toledoth Yeshu and is again mentioned in Justin Martyr's Dialogue with Trypho the Jew. Plus the Bible's account of the Jewish response to the empty tomb.

My thoughts: If the tomb was not empty, the Jews would definitely had proved so if they could have. But they did not, strongly inferring that they could not because the tomb was indeed empty.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 07:06 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Sure. It's actually in the early Jewish writings called the Toledoth Yeshu and is again mentioned in Justin Martyr's Dialogue with Trypho the Jew. Plus the Bible's account of the Jewish response to the empty tomb.

My thoughts: If the tomb was not empty, the Jews would definitely had proved so if they could have. But they did not, strongly inferring that they could not because the tomb was indeed empty.

What if the body of Jesus was moved to the new tomb, but the tomb was hidden, and no one (with the exception of Jesus' family) knew where it was until now.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 07:13 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

I'd ask why Matthew is in the tomb then? Especially considering that Matthew was martyred far away from Jerusalem (though that location is debated). That is of course, assuming that it is the disciple Matthew... if its not, then it seems improbable that this could ever possibly be the tomb of Jesus. Also, Mary and Joseph (especially Joseph) would have been in their family tomb, not buried in a seperate tomb with Jesus. It is even less likely considering that Mary is thought to have died in Ephesus in Asia Minor, very far from the Jerusalem area.

Last edited by Nellinator on Feb 27th, 2007 at 07:21 AM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 07:18 AM
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Originally posted by Draco69
How the hell did they do DNA testing? We actually have a semen sample from Jesus from the New Testament?

From what I got on the news today it seems the DNA samples are based upon testable material found in the caskets which proves the relationship between the people that resided in them.

Beyond that an emphasis seems to exist on the combination of names - that is a combination of names found in the holy texts of these faiths, with the expectation that it would be a remarkable coincidence if there was another Jesus in this period who just happened to be the son of a Mary and Joseph, and who just so happened to associated with a Mary whose names bears a striking resemblance to Mary Magdalene's (and apparently the DNA tests shows Jesus body and Mary M. body weren't related by blood, thus improving the likelihood they were married.)

Which might be one of the counterarguments they use against the "these were very common names in that era" - the documentations aren't debating that, but saying the particular combination of names, matching up so perfectly with the Biblical account, wouldn't have been a common.

Of course I imagine there must be more to it then that, but that is what the news readers have given so far.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Last edited by Imperial_Samura on Feb 27th, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 12:24 PM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
muslimscholar

Originally posted by Boris
Interesting... and.... "Jesus wasn't resurrected".. WTF?! Of course he wasn't, do people actually believe he was? Hahahah!

yes he wasn't resurrected because the Romans did not get him they got the wrong person

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 04:02 PM
muslimscholar is currently offline Click here to Send muslimscholar a Private Message Find more posts by muslimscholar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
muslimscholar

Originally posted by Lord Urizen
I have a couple in my mouth, maybe I should donate some to the experiment...

no donate some to your brain they might help

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 04:03 PM
muslimscholar is currently offline Click here to Send muslimscholar a Private Message Find more posts by muslimscholar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I'm open to whatever James and the project present...however, I just know both sides of the fence (atheist and Christians) are just gonna go at each others throats. Anyways, no one does anything for free...so whatever people will pay for this most likely is the main object and the actual project itself.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 04:40 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marxman
Resident Communist

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
But the logic behind it will escape anyone who is a bible thumping christian. They could find a bag of bones with a hand written note signed by Jesus himself with a post script from God saying Jesus was a good guy but not divine, and you'd call it a plot by the Jews.
True but at the same time every atheist will take any and all evidence against religion as absolute truth.

Furthermore, the fact that DNA testing shows these people are related is not surprising. THEY SHARE A TOMB! Tombs aren't the same as graveyards where anybody can be put. Tombs are put aside for families.

And what biblical studies have proven this. As far as I know, the New Testament says Jesus was resurrected. Are they saying that this "biblical evidence" is from those other gospels like the Gospel of Mary and the Gospel of Judas? I don't see the logic in that. I mean, you don't believe in what the bible says as an atheist. What makes these bibles more believable than the others, other than the fact that it says what you want it to say? Not you personally, Capt, but you generally.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 06:57 PM
Marxman is currently offline Click here to Send Marxman a Private Message Find more posts by Marxman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'd ask why Matthew is in the tomb then? Especially considering that Matthew was martyred far away from Jerusalem (though that location is debated). That is of course, assuming that it is the disciple Matthew... if its not, then it seems improbable that this could ever possibly be the tomb of Jesus. Also, Mary and Joseph (especially Joseph) would have been in their family tomb, not buried in a seperate tomb with Jesus. It is even less likely considering that Mary is thought to have died in Ephesus in Asia Minor, very far from the Jerusalem area.

I like how it's a conspiracy when the Jews are considered, but it isn't when the christians are examined. You know why the Jews didn't go out of their way to "prove" anything? Because they didn't buy it. Jesus wasn't the only guy running around saying he fulfilled the requirements to be the Messiah.

Originally posted by Marxman
True but at the same time every atheist will take any and all evidence against religion as absolute truth.

Furthermore, the fact that DNA testing shows these people are related is not surprising. THEY SHARE A TOMB! Tombs aren't the same as graveyards where anybody can be put. Tombs are put aside for families.

And what biblical studies have proven this. As far as I know, the New Testament says Jesus was resurrected. Are they saying that this "biblical evidence" is from those other gospels like the Gospel of Mary and the Gospel of Judas? I don't see the logic in that. I mean, you don't believe in what the bible says as an atheist. What makes these bibles more believable than the others, other than the fact that it says what you want it to say? Not you personally, Capt, but you generally.

As for the DNA, I haven't seen the documentary, so I can't comment on that. I assume they'll explain it. And if you read my last post, you'll see that I don't buy into the hype that this will be the bombshell it's being made out to be. If the history of a couple of the people involved holds true, it will take two steps forward and three steps back at every turn. They'll take a few steps forward to prove that Jesus wasn't ressurected and then they'll take three steps back to say that there's no evidence that he wasn't.

Also, I'm not an atheist.

No, I don't believe in what the bible says. It isn't a matter of buying into one non-canon gospel over a canon gospel. It's a matter of knowing the history of the christian religion and the history of the book we call the bible. If there were any books that didn't fulfill the undisputable divinity of Christ that the church had to propagate, they were tossed out. They were destroyed or called blasphemy. Jesus Christ didn't pick and choose the books humans were to consider canon, men did. I do find the three dimensional view of Jesus you get by looking at all canon and non-canon gospels extremely interesting. I see Jesus as a great man who had some very good ideas about humanity having to live together and making the best of it. But I don't think he's the son of god. Nothing this documentary is going to say will make any difference to my opinion. Just as it will have no influence on the opinion of people like Nellinator. The only difference is that I'm willing to admit it's my opinion. I don't approach the whole world like it's stupid because I've been inspired by some divine truth that no one else really understands.

I also find it interesting that he's attempting to use logic to explain why there's no chance this crypt is what they say it is (which I don't really believe they're saying) when he has many times in the past said that logic and religion have no buisness being considered in the same league.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 11:14 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

I see Jesus as a great man who had some very good ideas about humanity having to live together and making the best of it. But I don't think he's the son of god.

So are you a Jew or a Muslim? stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 12:36 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
So are you a Jew or a Muslim? stick out tongue

Neither

I don't approach the whole world like it's stupid because I've been inspired by some divine truth that no one else really understands.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Last edited by Devil King on Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:42 AM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 12:39 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Neither

It was a joke. (in case it wasn't obvious)

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 12:48 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

I like how it's a conspiracy when the Jews are considered, but it isn't when the christians are examined. You know why the Jews didn't go out of their way to "prove" anything? Because they didn't buy it. Jesus wasn't the only guy running around saying he fulfilled the requirements to be the Messiah.

As for the DNA, I haven't seen the documentary, so I can't comment on that. I assume they'll explain it. And if you read my last post, you'll see that I don't buy into the hype that this will be the bombshell it's being made out to be. If the history of a couple of the people involved holds true, it will take two steps forward and three steps back at every turn. They'll take a few steps forward to prove that Jesus wasn't ressurected and then they'll take three steps back to say that there's no evidence that he wasn't.

Also, I'm not an atheist.

No, I don't believe in what the bible says. It isn't a matter of buying into one non-canon gospel over a canon gospel. It's a matter of knowing the history of the christian religion and the history of the book we call the bible. If there were any books that didn't fulfill the undisputable divinity of Christ that the church had to propagate, they were tossed out. They were destroyed or called blasphemy. Jesus Christ didn't pick and choose the books humans were to consider canon, men did. I do find the three dimensional view of Jesus you get by looking at all canon and non-canon gospels extremely interesting. I see Jesus as a great man who had some very good ideas about humanity having to live together and making the best of it. But I don't think he's the son of god. Nothing this documentary is going to say will make any difference to my opinion. Just as it will have no influence on the opinion of people like Nellinator. The only difference is that I'm willing to admit it's my opinion. I don't approach the whole world like it's stupid because I've been inspired by some divine truth that no one else really understands.

I also find it interesting that he's attempting to use logic to explain why there's no chance this crypt is what they say it is (which I don't really believe they're saying) when he has many times in the past said that logic and religion have no buisness being considered in the same league.

I kind of feel the same way. Well said.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 12:56 AM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

I' m being skeptical.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 12:29 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by muslimscholar
no donate some to your brain they might help

Maybe I should cut off my hands and donate it as well....seeing as how that is a fitting punishment in your mind.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 05:36 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marxman
Resident Communist

Maybe I should cut off my hands and donate it as well....seeing as how that is a fitting punishment in your mind.
Let's stone this fairy!!!!!!

jk LU, I wubs joo. love

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 05:39 PM
Marxman is currently offline Click here to Send Marxman a Private Message Find more posts by Marxman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
muslimscholar

yes to those who steal they deserve there hands to be cut off

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 11:19 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by muslimscholar
yes to those who steal they deserve there hands to be cut off

No, they deserve to be put in jail, but not have their hand cut off. That would be barbaric.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2007 03:41 PM