KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Are dvd's a wast of money?

Are dvd's a wast of money?
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jon84
Secret Asian Man

In my opinion, they are. That's why I stopped collecting them, now I only buy the films that I really like, or else I'll just rent them. DVDs take up too much space, and it's pointless to own a crap load when you're only going to watch a film once or twice a year. Plus, the format changes with time, so it's pretty much useless to stock up on DVDs. I agree with the last poster though, it's good to have a appreciation for the movies you love. To not sound like too much of a hypocrite, I'd probably still buy DVDs today if I had the money but I ain't made of cash, unless you are rich person that's got money to waste.

But that's just me...

Last edited by jon84 on Apr 2nd, 2008 at 07:15 AM

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2008 07:10 AM
jon84 is currently offline Click here to Send jon84 a Private Message Find more posts by jon84 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

VHS took up more space then dvds

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2008 01:53 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

I am a family man i dont get time to watch them more then once so i think i will rent them weather its bluray/dvd

Old Post May 28th, 2009 09:22 AM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Scribe

DVDs are fine. They should stay around for a long time.

I'm tired of changing things all the time just so big corporations can make people re-buy the same movies over again.

Nietzsche is dead. 1 Corinthians 3:20, Romans 1:22, Colossians 2:8 (KJV)

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2009 03:50 PM
The Scribe is currently offline Click here to Send The Scribe a Private Message Find more posts by The Scribe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

VHS was a waste of money - glad I didn't invest too heavily in it when I was younger.
I did spend hundreds of dollars of laser discs though (and I only owned twelve!), because in the 90's it was virtually the only way to watch films in their original widescreen ratios.
So when DVDs came out and cost the same as VHS, and were even better than laser discs, I felt I arrived in heaven.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jun 4th, 2009 03:03 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

me too i only buyed 3 movies on vhs the rest i taped off tv big grin

Old Post Jun 10th, 2009 05:59 PM
DarthLazious
Dark Lord of the KMC

Nope.

http://thewilloftheforce.webs.com/

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 04:18 AM
DarthLazious is currently offline Click here to Send DarthLazious a Private Message Find more posts by DarthLazious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
movieshe
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, I always buy it.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2010 07:15 AM
movieshe is currently offline Click here to Send movieshe a Private Message Find more posts by movieshe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Saskaswan
DON'T PANIC

DVD's are not expensive, and if you're a movie fan how could they be a waste of money.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2010 02:17 PM
Saskaswan is currently offline Click here to Send Saskaswan a Private Message Find more posts by Saskaswan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maham

DVD's are great if you love that film,but for the rest,renting should do.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2010 04:58 PM
maham is currently offline Click here to Send maham a Private Message Find more posts by maham Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
K.Diddy
DiddyWood Style

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Saskaswan
DVD's are not expensive, and if you're a movie fan how could they be a waste of money.

cool Depends how often you watch them,really

I have spent a fortune on my dvd collection,but are thinking about slowing it down,I find I am always busy watching all the movies I haven't seen,too watching the one's I've seen and own

Old Post Mar 1st, 2010 07:46 AM
K.Diddy is currently offline Click here to Send K.Diddy a Private Message Find more posts by K.Diddy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
russelcrow

Now a days, DVDs are not used by anyone. Most of the users are watching the movie by downloading it from the Internet. So DVD's are not used by anyone. Apart from that Pen drive had better storage and better life so, DVD's are replaced by the pen drive.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2010 10:29 AM
russelcrow is currently offline Click here to Send russelcrow a Private Message Find more posts by russelcrow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

DVDs not used by anyone? you are deluded. Over 4 million copies of the Avatar DVD sold in America, more than the blu ray at the time...

Yeah, DVDs are not getting used anymore...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Old Post Apr 28th, 2010 02:06 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RichardBrittain

Money, in itself, is a waste... of life!

Old Post Jun 14th, 2010 02:24 PM
RichardBrittain is currently offline Click here to Send RichardBrittain a Private Message Find more posts by RichardBrittain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

It depends on if you seen the movie or not!If you had not seen it I would not buy it until you rent it so you will know if you like it or not.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2010 02:50 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RichardBrittain

Not always. You can get some really good deals on Amazon USA, for second hand DVDs. I was just browsing, Lol.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 16th, 2010 01:55 AM
RichardBrittain is currently offline Click here to Send RichardBrittain a Private Message Find more posts by RichardBrittain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

True but some are overprice no matter what.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2010 03:18 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mornings11

no, i don't think so. we can keep the favourite movies.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2010 12:58 PM
mornings11 is currently offline Click here to Send mornings11 a Private Message Find more posts by mornings11 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by crystallake
In a way, it probably IS a waste of money, but like many other DVD buyers, I like to think of my DVD collection as a sort of statement. I don't buy DVDs JUST because I think I'll watch them so often that it makes better financial sense than renting; I buy some DVDs because I believe that adding them to my collection somehow gives a more complete picture of my tastes, and who I am as a person.

Weird, I know... but I guess it's what happens when you combine the rampant consumerism of Americans with an inner need for expression through appreciation of art.

I buy DVDs for both reasons. Only once, maybe twice have I bought something then regretted it.
People need to remember what it was like to be a serious movie fan in the late 1980's to mid-90's. My big demand was trying to see movies letter-boxed, once I realized how pan-and-scan VHS was butchering the picture. The only other alternative was Laserdiscs, which were letter-boxed and had stunning picture quality compared to VHS; I managed to get a player at low cost. But they were so expensive I never owned more than a dozen of them. $40 Canadian was a good deal; $70-90 dollars was the norm. And, you had to get up and turn the side over because they could only get 60 minutes maximum a side. So to get a format that was smaller & more compact, had the picture quality of Laserdiscs with VHS prices, it was a godsend.
Right now, it's Blu-ray that is functioning as the specialty format that Laserdiscs once were. but that for picture quality just A LITTLE BIT BETTER? In these tighter financial times, that's still what it is. DVD, computers and video game systems have the perfect convergence with the disc format.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 21st, 2010 07:05 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maximus395

Originally posted by Kram3r
No. That's stupid, immoral and illegal.

Its not illegal yet, torrenting that is, but there's a big court case that will put a firewall on the whole of the internet if the corps win it. There will be black list sites, that offer any kind of download or free viewing and stuff of that nature...and there will be a white list of sites, like MSN, Yahoo, crap like that.

But by no means is it illegal to torrent or download movies, if it was you wouldn't be able to find the site on any search engine, especially Google.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2011 06:10 PM
maximus395 is currently offline Click here to Send maximus395 a Private Message Find more posts by maximus395 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote