KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » Nazis make better villains than Soviets.

Nazis make better villains than Soviets.
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (70): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

I believe he was just saying that Stiffler'd make a less effective Villian than Palpatine, which is true.

And that the Russians, instead of being portrayed in any particularly effective threatening way come off as relatively harmless dicks (like stiffler) when compared with the forces of evil in the previous films (Almost a Palps levels of evil), but thats all I got from that...

I dont think humour was the guys point.

Man your Emporer's Mum vision is the most twisted image you've ever created in my mind...!!!! sick

*Goes to throw up into some lettuce* stick out tongue

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jul 24th, 2008 09:26 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Re: Nazis make better villains than Soviets.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Saw it at midnight. Really good! I really had a blast seen Indy crack the whip and run from deadly traps and making great escapes.

The villains were really good for Kingdom of the Skull. However, it does not feel the same. See, it would make more sense that the villains for this film were Nazis and not Ruskies. The thing is...Soviets weren't really big fans of Mythology or treasure hunting. They were more interested in space travel and nuclear weapons.

The Nazis were more mythical. It makes more sense to have had the film use former Nazis as villains trying to get to the skull and revive the Nazi regime during the early days of the cold war. At least that's how I see it.

So what do you think? Nazis over Soviets?

Go see Indiana Jones...you'll like it. smile

Are you crazy? This movie was the most horrible waste of my time ever. I'd rather had my face punched into a heap of cowshit for 3 hours than ever have to watch this travesty again.

On topic though, Nazis are better villains.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2008 06:54 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Re: Re: Nazis make better villains than Soviets.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Are you crazy? This movie was the most horrible waste of my time ever. I'd rather had my face punched into a heap of cowshit for 3 hours than ever have to watch this travesty again.

On topic though, Nazis are better villains.

100% Agreed on both counts.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 05:32 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Ah...

Old Post Jan 11th, 2009 12:38 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Well it does seem to be the consensus so far..

Old Post Jan 15th, 2009 04:38 PM
queeq
Chaos

Well, I don't think the general concept of nazi's vs. russians is miscontrued. James Bond did very nicely with Russian baddies for a long long time. But maybe it's not politically correct to portray them as the embodiments of evil anymore. The nazi's can't sue, throw atomic bombs or diplomatically bother you.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2009 07:40 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yeah but that was Bond.

Indy was Indy.

And lets face it, the villians in Indy IV were no Blofeld or Goldfinger.
If they had been in a Bond movie, they'd only have attained the rank of "Unmemorable henchmen". And would be dispatched with customary ease.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2009 03:19 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Originally posted by queeq
Well, I don't think the general concept of nazi's vs. russians is miscontrued. James Bond did very nicely with Russian baddies for a long long time. But maybe it's not politically correct to portray them as the embodiments of evil anymore. The nazi's can't sue, throw atomic bombs or diplomatically bother you.

Heh. Then that makes 'em more ripe for a stewing then.... stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 16th, 2009 03:21 PM
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Yeah but that was Bond.

Indy was Indy.

And lets face it, the villians in Indy IV were no Blofeld or Goldfinger.
If they had been in a Bond movie, they'd only have attained the rank of "Unmemorable henchmen". And would be dispatched with customary ease.

Well, that was my point actually.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2009 05:55 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Ah... I see. Sorry. smile

Old Post Jan 16th, 2009 09:14 PM
queeq
Chaos

NP

Old Post Jan 16th, 2009 10:07 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Heres the thing you just reminded me of in the other thread....

Now Im no expert in Russian history, but some of the things you suggested as crudentials of their villiany, the Russkies sounded like they had their shit together in this regard, and your case was convincing.

Yet they didnt show much believeable villiany. (Just flashy sword fights and Kate Blanchett staring at people at lot while mind reading and stuff.)

But Rambo IV was a great example of how the villiany should be done on screen.

Now I knew f*** all whatsoever about the situation in the movies set location, knew nothing of the people or history at all.

Yet after the 1st ten minutes of that movie, after seeing that "Ladyboy c***" sergant (lol) playing those death games with innocent families...?

I knew instantly that these guys were scum and I couldnt wait for Rambo to inviscerate him with extreme prejudice.

They were memorabley nasty villians.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2009 12:29 AM
queeq
Chaos

But a tad over the top. I think historically it's all bogus anyway. A villain should be both cruel and sympathetic if you ask me. That's why Belloq is great.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2009 11:14 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yeah but not sympathetic to the point where Indy and pals are working together with them....

How less scary would Jaws be if he was one of Brody's freindly beach team...?

Good Villians must never sacrifice their evil/scary sides for the sake of that 'sympathetic to their plight on some level' aspect.

Even the Nazis in Raiders wouldnt have worked if they we could see what they were up to at every given moment, hanging with Indy.

They appear in the movie very suddenly as very bad news for indy and then they disapper. Indy at no point hung out with them at their camp, at no point did he help them find the macguffin he fought them all the way.

I actually sometimes want Gruber to pull that raid off when I watch Die Hard, but he was a memorable villian that along with Khan, Emporer Palpatine will live on in my memory til I die.

Could they not have had Javier Bardhem reprise his "No country for old men" role for the Soviets..? stick out tongue There was barely one memorable thing about the villians this time. He'd have sorted that out though..

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Jan 17th, 2009 at 04:44 PM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2009 04:39 PM
queeq
Chaos

With sympathetic I don't mean buddies, but that you can kinda understand them. Raiders has a wonderful pallet of baddies though, which makes the script so clever. There is not one baddies, it's a group of baddies. There's Belloq, but also Toht and Dietrich. Now Toth is just plain evil, but Belloq and Dietrich are portrayed with more humanity. Belloq with his double agenda, one of whic is similar to Indy's. Dietrich has doubts about Belloq's strategy and fears the Fuhrer. I thought that was quite wonderful.
Even ToD has the ambiguous characters like Chatter Lal (first very friendly and slightly understandably defensive, then his other side shows up: he's a baddie) and the young Sultan (bad but not wanting to be bad) and then there is one real baddie in the form of Mola Ram.
Even in TLC, where they villains get more stereotyped like the nazi officer (that's how we say goodbye in Germany), there's Elsa and Donovan...
Compare that to Indy 5, there's an attempt to a similar pallet but it doesn't work at all.

I agree with your group of baddies. Gruber is unsuspassed in many respects. A sympthetic side makes them more dangerous if you ask me.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2009 08:02 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Sure, I knew you drew that distinction, but these writers who did Indy IV had no clue whatsoever.

Indy 5....? We are still writing that. stick out tongue

Heh we definitely are reading from the same page.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2009 07:13 PM
queeq
Chaos

I keep making that mistake. Must be some unconscious desire to distantiate TAOS from the other three.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2009 07:30 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

lmao laughing out loud

Who can blame you...? I cant.

In fact Ive adopted from this moment onwards, a policy of dropping the "Indiana Jones and the..." part of the movie's title.
TAOMFS, KOTCS or simply "That goddamned awful, shitty movie" will have to suffice.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2009 10:48 PM
queeq
Chaos

TGASM....??? What's a t-gasm?

Old Post Jan 21st, 2009 02:19 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Sadapedia says:

'A metaphorical orgasm caused by that first cup of Tetleys first thing in the morning.'

TAOS has been upgraded to a TAOS as "The Aliens of mother f**king shit."

Due to my being foolish enough to try watching it again this week.
Needless to say I never made it past the bit where Indy is depressively reflecting on everybody being gone.
"Yeah...along with the writing talent behind his previous adventures"
was the thought that 'caused the termination of that sitting.
But I had watched long enough to be annoyed already by the impending involvement of the aliens.
I feel unclean. It wont come off! It wont come offffffffffffffff....!!!!!!!!!

Old Post Jan 21st, 2009 03:49 PM