KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Dawn of War 2

Dawn of War 2
Started by: Burning thought

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (29): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

cant wait, do we have a set release date yet?

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Aug 20th, 2008 02:21 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Just early 2009.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2008 03:09 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FlappingMangera
flapper of the mangera

This seems like this could be really interesting, but I'm going to have to wait until I heard more to make an actual judgment on whether or not I'm going to buy it. I'm not shelling out $50-60 on a whim.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2008 08:18 PM
FlappingMangera is currently offline Click here to Send FlappingMangera a Private Message Find more posts by FlappingMangera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

lol starcraft2 copied this sooo hard

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Aug 20th, 2008 09:01 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Copied how?

Old Post Aug 20th, 2008 09:17 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

well first off.. its known that blizzard copied warhammer 40k and got starcraft.. same for warhammer and warcraft

but blizzard seemed to want to try to make starcraft 2 look like dawn of war 2.. there are some screen comparisons floatin around if I catch em again I'll post em up smile

Old Post Aug 20th, 2008 11:18 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I heard about the comparisons with classes.

But SC2 was announced and shown before Dawn Of War 2, so if those are comparisons than I dont really know who did what first.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2008 04:42 AM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think we all know regardless of graphics Starcraft 2 is going to be compeltly diffrent to Dawn of war, theyll both be great games ime sure

Old Post Aug 21st, 2008 10:04 AM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
You find turtling dull, I dont.

Its an opinion, not a fact.

I love Relic games, and I love resource games. Having the ability to mass produce units is something I enjoy. Just because there are workers doesnt mean that strategy is thrown out the window. It might not be as strategic as some games, but its a game mechanic I enjoy.

Having insane difficulty and unskippable cutscenes is different than producing little workers bee's to gain lumber. One is bad design, the other is just how it plays. You dont like, dont play it. I on the otherhand enjoy it.

Agreed 100%.

Turtling is actually the strategy I use te most, I'm not very aggressive in RTS's.

And I prefer gathering the resources myself compared too, say, Battle for Middle Earth's way.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2008 06:50 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Smasandian
You find turtling dull, I dont.

Its an opinion, not a fact.

I love Relic games, and I love resource games. Having the ability to mass produce units is something I enjoy. Just because there are workers doesnt mean that strategy is thrown out the window. It might not be as strategic as some games, but its a game mechanic I enjoy.

Having insane difficulty and unskippable cutscenes is different than producing little workers bee's to gain lumber. One is bad design, the other is just how it plays. You dont like, dont play it. I on the otherhand enjoy it.

Please read my post properly- I did not claim that me finding turtling dull was anything other than an opinion.

However, the way in which the standard RTS use of mass worker units is an outdated mechanic that pointlessly slows up games and makes them overly fiddly IS a fact, and you are simply wrong if you do not see it.

Yup, bad design. Like I say- some people seem to enjoy bad design in games; I canot help that, they are still wrong.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2008 10:10 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

simply wrong from your point of view....Mass workers can be a good strategy mechanic to balance forces and so on, capturing points is all well and good but it can get very boring capturing points over and over, you could say the same about resoruces but personally I dont think about mining resources or collecitng them due to the mechanic is so simple wheras you have to think and make a more concious move I find when your capturing strategic points, thus imo going for points is bothersome

either way, please dont bring something as slow and tiresome as the World in Conflict mechanic...."sigh"

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2008 10:21 AM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Is DoW 2 using the same resource method as the first game, or are they doing away with it for something else?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2008 01:27 PM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yup, bad design. Like I say- some people seem to enjoy bad design in games; I canot help that, they are still wrong.

According to who? no expression

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2008 11:25 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I dont see why having worker units can make a game bad.. I mean its an economy unit.. if those are destroyed you're finished.. I think its perfectly logical to have

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2008 07:55 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Personally i like the idea of being able to build more Economy units like workers to be able to harvest/gather resources faster, in games without them, theres either usually no way or few ways to to increase resource acquiring, for example in normal DOW, you need to capture points which imo is a fine idea, however one youve done the upgrades and plopped the highest level outpost on top of a strategic point you cannot enhance its economical advantages, yet in a game with workers you can build more if you want faster economy and therefore streamline your economy to your own needs at your will.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2008 08:10 PM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Old Post Aug 24th, 2008 05:08 AM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

lmfao.

Those Blax_Hydralisks... >.>

Old Post Aug 24th, 2008 05:20 AM
Hazardous

Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
hehe.. this is a good example of what starcraft copied

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blo...d_jungle_hr.jpg

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blo...ited_final3.jpg

And the Eldar shifty

Old Post Aug 24th, 2008 06:07 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 05:08 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

this game should be great. the first dawn of war and its exspansions are the best rts game i've ever played.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2008 03:32 AM