KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » What're your top 5 favorite Batman Villains and why?

What're your top 5 favorite Batman Villains and why?
Started by: Scythe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Harvey Two-Face
Restricted

Account Restricted

Uh, yeah....

Anyway, Two-Face has always been a favorite, and I firmly believe Tommy Lee Jones could've done a great job if that dumbass Schumacher had never been attached.

You guys need to start taking things a little more seriously.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 06:45 AM
Harvey Two-Face is currently offline Click here to Send Harvey Two-Face a Private Message Find more posts by Harvey Two-Face Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

1) The Joker.

2) Two Face. A character with internal conflict, and much more interesting than lots of other villains who are rather 2-Dimensional.

3) Bane. At least when he first appeared, Bane was a brilliant character- so mysterious, a genius who could also pose a physical threat to Batman. Not sure about the character's development since Knightfall (Ra's al Ghul's lackey, then a hero)...

4) Scarecrow. An awesome idea- an enemy who can make you have to face your own fear.

5) Carmine 'The Roman' Falcone. I love the 'Year One'-period stories, which focus a lot on Batman's struggle against the mob, and Falcone was the one at the head of Gotham's mob in some of my favourite stories (Year One and the Long Halloween) as being portrayed pretty well in Begins.

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 01:03 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
1) The Joker, i don't think i need to give a reason, it's all been said before
2) Riddler, there's something very interesting about the Riddler, how can you not like a guy who gives out riddles every time he commits a crime......when Batman gets involved with Riddler it's usually a battle of the mind and of problem solving, something you don't see much of from super villains, he also had an awesome costume in the 90's TAS.
3) Mr. Freeze, while i am not a fan of his "Mr. Zero" days, i found a lot of new respect for him when the 90's TAS reinvented the character it gave him a new depth that he never had.
4) At first it would have been Killer Croc, but now that i think about it more i think for me Scarecrow is a much more interesting villain, for the fact that he uses psychology and fear to manipulate his foes, it's always interesting to see what he will do and how his fear gas will manipulate someone.
5) Two-Face, very interesting concept, he has a split personality and decides everything based off of a coin toss, tip it of with a parallel in Bruce Wayne and Batman, and how they are two separate personality's and there decisions also very and you have a close look at two-face you can see a connection, his origin is very interesting as well, how such a force of good, could fall to the bottom it's a very sad and moving tale.

Yeah those are great reasons why to like The Riddler,thats why I like him so much as well.Real good reasons for liking Two face as well.Yeah that makes him a really interesting villain as well.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 05:26 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

1. Joker - No one can top the Joker in my book when it comes to Batman villains. He's bat shit crazy(no pun intended) villain who kills because it's funny to him. Life is just one big joke in his brain, and will do anything to make Batman see it. And when it's either marketing jokerized fish or torturing Jim Gordon, the Joker will always be the epidemy of 'HOLY CRAP!'.

2. Bane - He's the kind of mastermind that Batman would be if his enitire life was a waking nightmare. Bane is my second favorite Batman villain because of how interesting he was before DC chopped him up. Living in hell since he was a child, you feel bad for the big lug frequently, and also amaze at the awesomeness that was his plan in 'Knightfall'. I mean.... damn.

3. Scarecrow - Jonathon Crane is cool to me because he's the worst nightmare of both sane and insane people. Either way, he will screw with your mind through fear and agony. In that respect, he's the Joker if he used scare tactics instead of insanity(which are less effective, but still flipping brilliant), and for that, he kicks major ass.

4. Black Mask: There's just something about the Black Mask that makes him really cool to me. I think it's the fact that he's that crime boss who doesn't just kill for business nor pleasure, but instead a little bit of both. His big goal is power and money, though he's not above harassing and messing up Batman just because he not only has the cake, but has the fork to eat it too.

5. Two Face - While I only found him good for his origin and first vengeance, I'll be damned if neither of those were flat out awesome. You really felt bad for the poor guy, but just cringed at some of the insanity he would do for his 'justice'.

Honorable mentions: 6. Manbat - Ok, ok, he's the bat version of the Lizard, but so what? Manbat kicks major butt in my opinion. While the Lizard started off as a pissed off lizard man, Manbat was virtually always a big stupid bat monster that perfectly stylized his parallels to Batman. While Batman has brains, Manbat has brawn. While Batman is a man acting like a bat, Manbat is a man turning into a bat. While Batman travels by vehicles and grappling hooks, Manbat flies without any technology. While Batman uses gadgets, Manbat uses his natural abilities. How can't you love him?

7. Harley Quinn - Ah, the ultimate female psychopath. Learning from her boyfriend's insanity, Harley is a screwed up girl with a crush who just happens to be almost as unhinged as her hubby, though with less imagination. Nevertheless, Quinn is one of those foes that is just a blast to read about because she's so damned nuts, and uses it in more of a gag way than the Joker, which in some ways makes her just as funny. Can't go qrong with a girl like that. God bless you, Bruce Timm, God bless you.

8. The Ventriloquist and Scarface - The whole dummy idea interested me. Is it the ventriloquist acting out who he wants to be, or does the dummy have a life of its own? Mind boggling coolness right there.

9. Mr. Freeze - He was always such a tragic villain, and holds the title for best ice themed villain in comics.

10. The Riddler - He's that one Batman villain that has the flat out intellect to even make Bruce think, and constantly uses it as a source of crime.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 06:46 PM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

1. Bane: He's just an excellent character overall. Good background story, smart, strong, a perfect Batman antagonist. And he's also really enjoyable on his own.

2. Joker: Incredibly funny.

3. Two Face: Cool, sadistic ****.

4. Riddler: Makes for a great storyline when done well.

5. Ra's Al Ghul: Great Schemer. Very interesting plotlines with him.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 10:39 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q'Anilia
Exiled Master Jedi

Originally posted by Bardock42
1. Bane: He's just an excellent character overall. Good background story, smart, strong, a perfect Batman antagonist. And he's also really enjoyable on his own.

2. Joker: Incredibly funny.

3. Two Face: Cool, sadistic ****.

4. Riddler: Makes for a great storyline when done well.

5. Ra's Al Ghul: Great Schemer. Very interesting plotlines with him.

Same reasons, only:
1. Joker
2. Riddler
3. Ra's Al Ghul
4. Two-Face
5. (Cutting Bane out and instead says) Freeze: Can't quite place the 'why', but I always have loved him. All his plans give me the chills smile

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 12:52 PM
Q'Anilia is currently offline Click here to Send Q'Anilia a Private Message Find more posts by Q'Anilia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Shindiggery
Cynical Egotist

1. The Joker- An arch nemesis imo is someone who does not nessaracly have to be stronger or smarter then the hero, but rather someone who has messed with the hero`s head so much. And imo Joker fits the bill right here, I can`t think of any other villain who has nearly driven a hero to the edge and even to the point of nearly making him kill. This is why Joker is my favourite Batman villain, that and he has a cool get up, you can`t go wrong with purple.

2. Two Face- A very interesting Batman villain that can be interpreted in many ways be it Dent having Psychological issues or just after he has been scarred having a rather distorted view of justice. Two Face has to be the most complex Batman villain of them all. Also the fact that he was once Batman`s ally or Bruce Wayne`s friend depending on what version you read or watch makes him a very personal villain that can mess with Batman`s head because in a way Batman will always have that guilt for not being able to save Harvey from being scared by Sal Maroni.

3. Scarecrow- Another very interesting villain here, just like Batman he uses fear but whereas Batman uses it to save people, Scarecrow uses it because he likes messing with people`s heads and furthering his research. Now thats a scary villain right there.

4. The Riddler- Okay here is not your run of the mill villain, he does crime not to gain money but out of the sheer satisfaction of outwitting both Batman and the police, also his psychology can be interpreted in many different ways which make him a very interesting Batman villain.

5. Bane- Another interesting Batman villain that is often overlooked by most people yes JS, I am talking to you, no he is not some thug for hire, he is a smart stergist and is a very good physical threat for Batman as well.

Runners Up- Mr Freeze, Poison Ivy and Killer Croc.

"You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time. But you were wrong. The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world is chance"

Old Post Aug 13th, 2008 05:56 PM
Mr Shindiggery is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Shindiggery a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Shindiggery Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aster Phoenix
Restricted

Account Restricted

1.Two-face
2. Hush
3. Phantasm
4. Bane
5. Azrael

Old Post Aug 25th, 2008 04:05 PM
Aster Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Aster Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Aster Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blind
Only Settle for Victory

1. Joker - I'm sure somebody's given the reasons...
2. Hush - I love the fact that he's so freakin' hardcore.
3. Two-Face - somethin' creepy about a guy flippin' a coin to decide if he wants to kill you.
4. Killer Crock - Big. Stupid. Extremely Strong. Just like seeing him get whooped but get his shots in, too.
5. The Ventriloquist and Scarface - I freakin' hate dummies.

~AntiMatter Corps~

Old Post Aug 25th, 2008 07:43 PM
Blind is currently offline Click here to Send Blind a Private Message Find more posts by Blind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
namorsubby

1.joker of course

2.deadshot,he's just awesome

3.killer croc,he's pretty cool and one of batman's few reoccuring villians with powers

Original Human Torch
Namora

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 05:38 AM
namorsubby is currently offline Click here to Send namorsubby a Private Message Find more posts by namorsubby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

Originally posted by Aster Phoenix
1.Two-face
2. Hush
3. Phantasm
4. Bane
5. Azrael

Woah. No Joker, the Phantasm (who appeared in one animated film, however cool, and was pretty much a replica of the Reaper) and Azrael (who wasn't really a villain, honestly; more of an anti-hero initially, who became an all-out hero towards the end, to be honest).

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 03:45 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

My list:

1. The Joker, of course. The Joker can be confused for a random mass murderer who kills people because it's fun. But it's incorrect. He's not Carnage- while he likes to kill people randomly, it is, more often than not, a part of a grand scheme that 'makes sense to him alone'. The truth? The Joker likes to break people's minds more than he likes to break their skulls. Taking his murder of Jason Todd, for once. He killed him brutally, but before he killed him, he made sure to break the boy's spirit (his mother's betrayal)- and even beyond that, he's done it to break Batman's will and mind, impacting Batman in an almost unique way. Shooting Barbara, too. Sick, cruel, and twisted, the Joker enjoyed it not only because he crippled Barbara for life, but also because he can use it to shatter Gordon's mind.

He's oddly complex, too. While he doesn't think of himself as a good person, like Ra's Al Ghul, he thinks that he's the only 'sane' man in an insane world; he thinks the world is dark, chaotic, hopeless, and so he turns into... well, an unleashed human. A person who doesn't have laws, morals, rules, or any code; totally ruthless and psychopathic, that's the Joker for you.

Which brings me to my final, and most important point. He may be the mirror opposite of Batman- hope vs. despair, healing vs. destruction, order vs. chaos, logic vs. impulse, he is extremely similar to Batman in his origin. Just as much as Batman's parents were killed due to a random gunman without any alterior motive- a result of the chaotic, unfair world- he decided to fight chaos. The Joker? His wife was killed due to a million in one incident, purely by chance. Or did the cops kill his wife? If so, he's just another victim of the chaotic world. They targeted him seemingly randomly.

And one decision turned him into Batman's mirror opposite; where Batman fights against chaos, the Joker embraces it. But could their positions have been reversed? That's something very interesting to think about.

2. Hmm... this is a bit of a tough one, but I'm going to have to go with Bane. Obviously, Bane has degenerated from a freaky, intelligent psychopath. The ideal opponent for Batman; someone who can not only challenge him mentally, but also provide a physical challenge. The way he 'broke the bat' was incredible, and for that moment, he deserves to be the second best Bat-villain.

3. Harley Quinn- not, this is NOT because she is the Joker's 'girlfriend'. Well, maybe partially... I gotta say, I love her crazy love affair with the Joker. But it's a testament to Harley Quinn's cuteness and strength as a character that I actually accepted the idea of the Joker loving/caring for someone (obsession with Batman does not count). First of all, she's hot. Hot in the Catwoman way. Only that she's an excited, energetic person. I also love the way she talks, and her whole attitude. Harley FTW!

4. Ra's Al Ghul... well, it's not necessarily because I'm a particularly big fan of his character, but his principles, ideals, and somewhat humane goals make for a supremely interesting villain. He's sort of like Magneto; unlike the above 3, he thinks he's doing the right thing.

5. Two-Face, for his complex personality and tragic background. That, and also looks badass.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 06:25 PM
Master Crimzon is currently offline Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Quick list.

1. Joker - Awesome in every way.

2. Scarecrow - I just grew up reading many comics about him and I love his fear potion.

3a. Two-Face - I love the 2 sides of his personality thing where is good and bad.

3b. Riddler - Very entertaining, would be higher but to me he always just seems like the poor man's Joker.

5. Ventriloquist and Scarface - I love the interactions they have with each other.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 08:38 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

1. The Joker. Plain and simple, he's just awesome. He knows how to really get under Batman's skin unlike the other villians and get to him. He's the smartest, most fearless and just plain doesn't care about anything, the most brutal, the most dangerous and ruthless, unpredictable and he's an anarchist/terrorist. I think he made some good points in The Dark Knight in his speeches to Batman and Harvey Two Face, although twisted, some of it was kinda true. The Joker. Just. Plain. Kicks ass.

2. Two-Face. Harvey is very intriguing because he was a good guy gone bad, and really bad. I like how he bases justice on chance promoting anarchy because of what happened to him, regardless of anyone or anything. He had a hidden dark side that was pushed out of him when everyone thought he was a little angel. Very cool.

3. Scarecrow. He bases his campaign of crime on terror and fear. He studies fear and knows basically everything there is to know about it. Crane believes that if the world is cured of fear, then people would make no mistakes. He has that fear gas which is awesome, so a big threat to anyone who gets in his way.

4. Ra's al Ghul. Ra's believes in cleansing the world of corruption but in the wrong ways. He believes what he's doing is right when it's not. He'll destroy an entire city that's primarily corrupt without any regard to innocents. Ra's is also incredibely intelligent and a great fighter, i.e martial artist and can match Batman, if not beat him.

5. Red Hood. Jason Todd aka Robin 2 gone bad because of Batman not killing the Joker. He's ruthless and brutal and knows Batman like no one else. He can alse give Batman a good fight.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2008 04:36 AM
braz is currently offline Click here to Send braz a Private Message Find more posts by braz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ftspyder

joker
two face
bane
hush
ra`s al ghul

Old Post Oct 6th, 2008 11:13 PM
ftspyder is currently offline Click here to Send ftspyder a Private Message Find more posts by ftspyder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Indestructible
The Power House

1. Joker- He is the Ultimate villian. He is the greatest comic villian of all time.

2. Two-Face-He is dark. He is living proof the nicer you are in public the darker you are.

3. Riddler-He is a master planer. He is just as smart as batman. Great villian.

4. Bane-On a physical note Bane is king. BUT there are Brain behind that Brawn. He is a Military tactics expert.

5. Scarecrow,Scareface, or Penguin.- I like Scarecrow for the same reason as Riddler. Scareface because he is a mobster. Penguin is fun and greedy.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2008 03:44 PM
Indestructible is currently offline Click here to Send Indestructible a Private Message Find more posts by Indestructible Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jezzy0410

My top 5 are:
1) Harley Quinn- she has been learning that she doesn't need the Joker to pull big tricks on Batman. She is the only one who has been close to killing the Batman and him to admit it. She is also someone who Batman cares for and she seems tricky enough to care a little for him. But at the same time her bipolar and ADD, plus other mental disorders in the making, make her as dangerous as both Joker and Crane, mixing crazy with genius. She is cute, hot, and sweet, but she is capable of anything with her obsessions. And being the only villain Batman cares for, not in a lustful Catwoman way, she seems to be the only one who can actually hurt Batman by hurting herself. Prove is "Mad Love" where he tries convincing her to give up her obsession with Joker, "Trial" where Harley thanks Batman showing she wants him free but claiming its because he brought Joker and her together. And the two others that show cute moments with each other, "Harlequinade" where he trust her to take him to the Joker and she knows it, and "Harley's Holiday" he follows her to make sure she is in no harm and at the end they kiss and he enjoys it. Harley's double skitzo, the obsessed clown and the understanding doctor is someone not to mess with.

2)Joker- just cause he's joker

3)Riddler- he's narcissism and his outstanding engineering skills make him the closest one to Lucius Fox and being able to create mass weapons and cool suit although his style has always been wearing green office wear with purple question marks, him and any other villain can bring hell to Gotham just by using his engineer techniques.

4) Penguin- he's a man who, like Harley is near to Batman/Bruce Wayne money wise. A nightclub owner and monopolist he can use his money to buy anyone he wants but his charisma and his favorite umbrella gun help him make great deals. He might not be a villain with skill like the others but his skill is as good as the rest. He is a man who can lead a group of villain and his amazing hidden strength plus his talent in bird calling to attack foes makes him a useful villain.

5)Johnathan Crane(Batman Begins Version)- he's connection with Ra's and his obsessiveness to strike fear on everyone is scary. He experiments on his patients like doctors used to back in the early 20th century. His ability for creating medicine and for declaring people mentally unstable and then transforming them into complete psychos by using the scarecrow mask is too powerful for any villain in this series. If you want to control anyone, you have to begin by controlling their fears. No one can ever seem to battle thee fears completely, including Batman, who's biggest fear is the losing his parents because of a lesser fear. Crane uses the most power weapon any human possesses and turns it on itself, giving him the power to access your thoughts.

Those are my top 5

Old Post Jan 5th, 2013 08:14 PM
Jezzy0410 is currently offline Click here to Send Jezzy0410 a Private Message Find more posts by Jezzy0410 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

The Joker - I just love how crazy he is, how unpredictable he can be and his sense of humour can be fantastic, plus he's such a force to be reckoned with throughout the DC universe, I love how other villains in the DCU are afraid of him.

Two Face - I love Harveys story, the good man fallen from grace is always an intriguing story. One of the things I absolutely HATED about Forever was how they had him keep flipping the coin to get his desired outcome, the comics hit this manic trait perfectly, I love how he's just an absolute no matter whats going on it all just depends on the flip of the coin.

Ras al Ghul - The one man who truly is Batmans equal, I love how he is altruistic and has a deep sense of honour and shows the Bat a great deal of respect but he's one of the most dangerous people on the planet, which can be forgotten underneath his polite demeanour, until he dips in the pit and all hell breaks loose. Plus Liam Nesson played him and you can't go wrong with that dude.

The Riddler - His ability to challenge Batmans detective skill is great, he may be a bit of a loser compared to the others sometimes but when he's done right he can be very unsettling, I always thought the approach to him on film should be that of a saw like villain, always setting people up in death traps.

Bane - The man who broke the Bat, my first real dip into comics was right in the middle of Knightfall and bane made quite an impression, of all the villains that Batman regularly faces Bane is Bruces warped mirror moreso than any other, a selff made man with a little jolt of venom to boot.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2015 10:33 AM
relentless1 is currently offline Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

In no particular order... Two-Face, Joker, Penguin, Mister Freeze, Bane.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2015 09:46 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jane21august

Top 5 villains of Batman
1.Joker: Joker is a kind of character that always comes to bother Batman not to kill him. He wants to create chaos and disturb Gotham city but likes to play games with the Batman.
2. Riddler: An amazing character with unsolved mystery and puzzles.
3. Penguin: Penguin loves to poke his way around in the Gotham city and disturb peace in Gotham.
4.Bane: He just hates Batman no matter what the cost.
5.Scarecrow: Scarecrow want to justify and reduce Gotham city of rich people with his gas.

Last edited by jane21august on Feb 16th, 2018 at 07:26 AM

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 07:22 AM
jane21august is currently offline Click here to Send jane21august a Private Message Find more posts by jane21august Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote