KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » The Conduit

The Conduit
Started by: ESB -1138

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

IMO it's a waste of money.

I'll just wait for God of War 3, ty.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jun 13th, 2009 05:54 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Reviews are coming in, and despite what good things some have to say about it, it really does look agonisingly standard. I've cancelled my order.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 08:05 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

I am enjoying it. I'm playing it on it's hardest diffuculty and dieing every few minutes, but it's still fun. Can't say much about the story though, because I am only about 30 minutes into it, but the gameplay is fun (Would be nice to use the Zapper though.)

All in all, though. I think it is worth buying just to have another decent Wii game.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 03:21 AM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I don't like the reasoning behind the majority of the reviews.

A good game is a good game but a bad game does not turn into a good game just because there isn't a game like that on that system.

Some of the reviews are stating that if this was released on the 360, PC, or PS3 that it wouldn't be any good but becaause its on the Wii, its a good game.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 05:24 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Agreed absolutely. Nor is a good control scheme- laudable though that might be- ever going to make a generic shooter a classic, or even a worthwhile buy.

Ganon- I don't need to buy games just because they are 'decent' on the Wii, as if my collection needs life support. I am only interested in buying worthwhile games full stop, regardless of the platform (so long as I own the system, of course). Nothing I have ehard about the Conduit makes me want to buy.

Single player is apparently pretty short. It is entirely linear run-and-gun stuff (which makes the comparisons to Perfect Dark rather odd- PD was far from run and gun, with non-linear levels, variable scenarios, lots of fun training modes, hidden levels, co-op modes etc... whole different ballgame. If Conduit had all THAT I'd be interested). And as for online... I am not a deathmatch fan, and if I was I'd do it on the PC.

So let's say Conduit's gameplay is reasonably enjoyable. Do I want to blow full price on eight hours' worth of shallow fighting against, apparently, the same enemies over and over? Pretty much nope. Just not worth my purchase.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jun 25th, 2009 at 08:38 AM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 06:55 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

kind of a sad turn of events.. I kinda had some hopes for this game

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 07:19 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The actual shame is that the guys who made it are very talented- the game is extremely well made, apparently, and the tech use is impressive, and as said, the controls and UI customisation are better than any Wii game out there, and particularly the customisation is possibly better than any FPS on any platform out there too.

But they are painfully lacking in areas like storyline, originality, art design etc. They need to be twinned with people to cover that area. Someone that can take that raw technical talent and use it to contribute to a better-realised experience.

I DO help it sells well, though, because talented people need encouragement to work on Wii. Look at poor old Zack and Wiki- awesome game, great technical acheivement on Wii, one of the best uses of the Wii controller seen yet, funny, intelligent, lots of good touches... didn't sell. Geez. But if this DOES sell, maybe they can make a sequel with more to it.*

If you really like FPS games I am sure Conduit will be fun... just my worry is if you really like FPS games you probably have so many on the 360, PS3 and PC that this one isn't really worth the look. It needs to have something to make it stand out! "It's on the Wii" doesn't cut it. MP3 was on the Wii, but that would have been a good game on ANY platform, and that is easily discernable. I've not heard or seen anything about The Conduit that makes it seem like that.

All in all... ahh, I dunno. This should have appeared a couple of years back, I think.

[*Edit- I forgot about The Grinder, their next effort, which apaprently has things like co-op, four distinct character types, light RPG elements, MotionPlus swordfighting etc. As that seems to answer just about all of my criticisms that keep me from buying The Conduit, I'll keep an eye on it]

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jun 25th, 2009 at 09:00 AM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 08:44 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
kind of a sad turn of events.. I kinda had some hopes for this game

Me too, but alas.. They kinda died not too long before launch.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 02:14 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Ushgarak
The actual shame is that the guys who made it are very talented- the game is extremely well made, apparently, and the tech use is impressive, and as said, the controls and UI customisation are better than any Wii game out there, and particularly the customisation is possibly better than any FPS on any platform out there too.

But they are painfully lacking in areas like storyline, originality, art design etc. They need to be twinned with people to cover that area. Someone that can take that raw technical talent and use it to contribute to a better-realised experience.

I DO help it sells well, though, because talented people need encouragement to work on Wii. Look at poor old Zack and Wiki- awesome game, great technical acheivement on Wii, one of the best uses of the Wii controller seen yet, funny, intelligent, lots of good touches... didn't sell. Geez. But if this DOES sell, maybe they can make a sequel with more to it.*

If you really like FPS games I am sure Conduit will be fun... just my worry is if you really like FPS games you probably have so many on the 360, PS3 and PC that this one isn't really worth the look. It needs to have something to make it stand out! "It's on the Wii" doesn't cut it. MP3 was on the Wii, but that would have been a good game on ANY platform, and that is easily discernable. I've not heard or seen anything about The Conduit that makes it seem like that.

All in all... ahh, I dunno. This should have appeared a couple of years back, I think.

[*Edit- I forgot about The Grinder, their next effort, which apaprently has things like co-op, four distinct character types, light RPG elements, MotionPlus swordfighting etc. As that seems to answer just about all of my criticisms that keep me from buying The Conduit, I'll keep an eye on it]

One reviewer has stated that it took about 5 1/2 hours to beat the SP. That's bloody short, even for the FPS standards. I don't need a 20 hour game but atleast make it 10 hours.

Anyways, it's a rental for me. 6 bucks is much easier to digest than 50 something.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 03:00 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Agreed absolutely. Nor is a good control scheme- laudable though that might be- ever going to make a generic shooter a classic, or even a worthwhile buy.

Ganon- I don't need to buy games just because they are 'decent' on the Wii, as if my collection needs life support. I am only interested in buying worthwhile games full stop, regardless of the platform (so long as I own the system, of course). Nothing I have ehard about the Conduit makes me want to buy.

Good point.

It's still fun, and will be nice for someone like me with not a lot of time to play for the next couple of months (2 hrs of running per day, papers, assigned books, Work, Zelda RP on this very site, and the 12-book series I am reading all take up my gaming time.). May be short, but my gaming time consists of 30 minute - 1 hour incriments. Couple that with playing it on the highest difficulty, which is actually pretty difficult, and it will be fun to play. Will definately hold me over untill Batman comes out. smile

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 05:33 PM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I really do think single-digit hour games are not worth full price, though this is me ruling out the deathmatch side of thigns which I suspect others will enjoy more.

Like I say, their next game- which seems to offer much more- has got my interest.

BtVS

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 05:42 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I really do think single-digit hour games are not worth full price, though this is me ruling out the deathmatch side of thigns which I suspect others will enjoy more.

Like I say, their next game- which seems to offer much more- has got my interest.

It depends on the game for me.

If the game is known for its online MP than a shorter campaign is alright, but this game does not look like that type.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 08:23 PM
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

And, how long are the Halo games? Because they are not much longer than single-digit hour games. Infact, I seem to remember beating Halo 3 on Heroic in a total game play time of less than 9 hours. And Halo and Halo 2 didn't take me long at all either, but they are both immensely popular games.

And Ghostbusters, a game that I consiter to have been worth the price paid, took me about 13 hours to beat, and that has about 1 or 2 hours of accumulated sitting on the pause screen, while I had to take care of other things, several stupid mistakes, and about another hour of trying to figure out certian puzzles, trying to find cursed artifacts, and taking extra time to gather achievements.

and that was also all on the hardest difficulty.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 09:19 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
[B]And, how long are the Halo games? Because they are not much longer than single-digit hour games. Infact, I seem to remember beating Halo 3 on Heroic in a total game play time of less than 9 hours. And Halo and Halo 2 didn't take me long at all either, but they are both immensely popular games.

halo is an MP oriented game. i have over three months of total gameplay on halo 3's multiplayer personally. thats roughly 2160 hours if i did my math right(24 hours in a day * 30 days which is a standard month times 3 months).

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 09:22 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And, how long are the Halo games? Because they are not much longer than single-digit hour games. Infact, I seem to remember beating Halo 3 on Heroic in a total game play time of less than 9 hours. And Halo and Halo 2 didn't take me long at all either, but they are both immensely popular games.

And Ghostbusters, a game that I consiter to have been worth the price paid, took me about 13 hours to beat, and that has about 1 or 2 hours of accumulated sitting on the pause screen, while I had to take care of other things, several stupid mistakes, and about another hour of trying to figure out certian puzzles, trying to find cursed artifacts, and taking extra time to gather achievements.

and that was also all on the hardest difficulty.

First of all, Halo had a LOT of other stuff going for it that made it distinct from a bog standard FPS, like the use of vehicles, an engaging storyline, presentation and... well, just read the reviews from the time, there was reason it scored well, and that's before we get into the multiplayer. The Conduit has nothing of the sort to distinguish it other than its control scheme and customisability... and that is not enough. Let's face it, no-one is going to give it the gameplay kudos Halo got. If it DID have that, then I would be tempted to buy despite the length.

Secondly, I would still consider that short length a significant criticism of Halo's single player.

Thirdly, if you are fine shelling out full price for 13 hours (which is, let's face it, considerably longer than the times we are talking here) then fine. But that's not a logic I can agree with.

In short, you are trying to defend the indefensible. The Conduit will be (and already is) justly criticised for its short play time.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jun 25th, 2009 at 09:46 PM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 09:30 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Even though I'm not a big fan of Halo single-player, it's multi-player was alot of fun and it did bring two big things to the FPS genre.

One was the ability to recharge your shield aka your health and giving the player only a few slots for weapons making the them choose which ones to carry.

Maybe one FPS before did those things but Halo did them extremely well and made them a staple in the FPS genre. Similiar to what Half Life did.

If Bungie learn how to create a map, it would of been one of the best ever.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 10:16 PM
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Originally posted by WO Polaski
halo is an MP oriented game.

Yea, see, that's not true. People just think it's true because it has good Multiplayer.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2009 04:16 PM
Dark Exile

First of all, Halo had a LOT of other stuff going for it that made it distinct from a bog standard FPS, like the use of vehicles, an engaging storyline, presentation and... well, just read the reviews from the time, there was reason it scored well, and that's before we get into the multiplayer.

Would you go as far to say that it was "revolutionary?"

Old Post Jun 26th, 2009 04:39 PM
Dark Exile is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Exile a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Exile Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

In a few aspects it was.

For an console FPS, it did alot of good things for the control and mechanices of an console FPS. It had it share of problems though.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2009 05:40 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Yea, see, that's not true. People just think it's true because it has good Multiplayer.

people say that because if you try to gauge the game as a single player oriented game its only average and cliche. theres a reason why halo 3 has millions of hours of online gameplay but in the end there are tons of MLG players who havent even beaten the campaign after playing it for years.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2009 05:43 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote