KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Gears of War 2 vs Halo 3

Gears of War 2 vs Halo 3
Started by: Wil7

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
You being more attached to Halo's Johnson (There has been no truer wording) doesn't mean the story was better, it means you're a sap.

-AC

At least hes been in all three games! Gears fanboys have to be pretty damn sensitive to think the death of someone you just met is emotional. Thats as gay as the Gears 2 TV spot, you might as well be Cole 'scoping' out that damn flower.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 07:23 PM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

LoL

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 07:28 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

wink

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 07:33 PM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

The flower scene has more depth than everything Halo ever dished out. You can clearly see the emotion in Cole's eyes through the scope's lenses because he is thinking about how the god damned flower will look after he BOOM headshots it to oblivion. Cole's struggle becomes more intense because he begins to realize the damned thing does not even have a head...but what does he care!? HE IS THE COLE TRAIN BABY!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 07:36 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Zack Fair
The flower scene has more depth than everything Halo ever dished out. You can clearly see the emotion in Cole's eyes through the scope's lenses because he is thinking about how the god damned flower will look after he BOOM headshots it to oblivion. Cole's struggle becomes more intense because he begins to realize the damned thing does not even have a head...but what does he care!? HE IS THE COLE TRAIN BABY!

laughing laughing Ive got to disagree though, Halo 3 had one of the most thought provoking print ads ive ever seen for a game. "A hero need not speak, for when he is gone the world will speak for him..."

"The wait is over."

Last edited by Nactous on Dec 4th, 2008 at 07:39 PM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 07:37 PM
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Nactous
Halo 3 actually has a story "line" as opposed to random ass encounters or tiny subplots that attempt to make a real one.

No, it really doesn't have a story. Unless of course, you mean the same story that the previous two games had. like Gears of War, there is just enough story in Halo to justify it's existence as a game. If you prefer the story that Halo offers over what Gears offers use that as an argument but don't say, "Halo is better because it has a story and Gears doesn't." That is simply not true. Both games have just as much story and character development as the other. Both games are riddled with the same, tired cliche's and the same tired story arcs. I give both games credit, though, for making fun of the same cliche's they incorporate.

The original Halo may have had more of a compelling story than both Gears games but since then the sequels have been nothing but a recycled plot of the original. If anything, the biggest problem Halo 3 had was it's lack of story.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 09:56 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

laughing laughing Ive got to disagree though, Halo 3 had one of the most thought provoking print ads ive ever seen for a game. "A hero need not speak, for when he is gone the world will speak for him..."

What thoughts exactly did that provoke?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 10:40 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

I don't have an Xbox360, and I think everyone knows why. I will say though if I did have a Xbox360, Gears, and Halo will definitely be games I would by. They both kinda seem like Resistance games to me. I will say I couldn't choose which one is better, because they both seem like fun games.

Starlock Rocks at Making Sigs...Judas Priest is Back!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 11:02 PM
Ultimate Wil is currently offline Click here to Send Ultimate Wil a Private Message Find more posts by Ultimate Wil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

I love how every little Halo fanboy is picking on the Dom/Maria interaction, when they have become attached to an anonymous marine in a green space suit, who does absolutely nothing to develop any emotional attachment to him.

Master Chief is the kind of "hero" little boys would have posters of on their wall. Otherwise known as the kind of hero you grow out of. I can sympathise with Dom's situation, couldn't give a shit about Master Chief.

Gears has as much of a story as Halo, neither of them are brilliant. The only reason people are praising either is because they might have PERSONALLY got something out if it, neither is particularly complex or profound.

You being more attached to Halo's Johnson (There has been no truer wording) doesn't mean the story was better, it means you're a sap.

-AC

Well from someone who doesn't like Halo and Does like Gears I can say that the Dom Maria relationship wasn't profound enough for me to care...I mean seriously why do I care about her, because Dom did? We start out with him looking for her and other than a dream sequence for 30 seconds and a picture what do we have to like her for? Sarge however has been at your side throughout Halo he's a badass and has saved your ass on several occasions. The only thing sympathetic about maria was the end situation, it was a tough decision but in the end that's all it was and after she died you're immediately over it. I can say throughout the rest of the game I could've cared less about Maria, she was nothing but a subplot to me. However throughout the little that was left of Halo I still felt bad that Sarge died for me.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2008 11:38 PM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

People give a **** about Johnson because he's been through 3 Halo games. Big ******* whoop. The stupid bird appears through all three Banjo games but I do give a crap about him? No!

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 03:10 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Chill dude.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 03:39 AM
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
No, it really doesn't have a story. Unless of course, you mean the same story that the previous two games had. like Gears of War, there is just enough story in Halo to justify it's existence as a game. If you prefer the story that Halo offers over what Gears offers use that as an argument but don't say, "Halo is better because it has a story and Gears doesn't." That is simply not true. Both games have just as much story and character development as the other. Both games are riddled with the same, tired cliche's and the same tired story arcs. I give both games credit, though, for making fun of the same cliche's they incorporate.

The original Halo may have had more of a compelling story than both Gears games but since then the sequels have been nothing but a recycled plot of the original. If anything, the biggest problem Halo 3 had was it's lack of story.

Its not possible to tell Gear's story without sidetracking is it not?

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 03:43 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Well I'm just ticked off about this. You're saying Halo 3's story is better because Johnson gets killed by a beam from some stupid robot? Bad excuse. In Gears 2, Dom shoots his wife. You're saying the wife thing doesn't matter because she wasn't even in the first Gears? OMG!

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 03:48 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Well I'm just ticked off about this. You're saying Halo 3's story is better because Johnson gets killed by a beam from some stupid robot? Bad excuse. In Gears 2, Dom shoots his wife. You're saying the wife thing doesn't matter because she wasn't even in the first Gears? OMG!

Not really the fact that hes been killed by a beam as much to the fact that hes been fighting with you since the beginning. If your a Halo fan than you've been with him for six or seven years.

Dom's wife on the other hand shows up out of the blue and has no emotional connection with you since this is the first you've seen of her.

Also, Johnson's death was an act of betrayal, killed by someone he thought he could trust and someone who he had saved the live of before.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 03:54 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

I've played all the Halo games and knew that Johnson's been fighting along side me all this time. I just don't feel sad or mad that Johnson's dead. In fact, I don't even care.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 04:02 AM
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nemesis X
I've played all the Halo games and knew that Johnson's been fighting along side me all this time. I just don't feel sad or mad that Johnson's dead. In fact, I don't even care.

But you care about some woman who just showed up?!?! Out of no where?

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 04:14 AM
General_Iroh
White Guy

wow

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 06:06 AM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nactous didn't answer the question;

"Halo had a thought provoking print campaign.".

What thoughts did these provoke? If it takes an advertising board for a mediocre video game to make you think, then that's something to say about your intelllect.

Additionally, you're confusing the issue. The Dom/Maria story wasn't meant to convey or confirm attachment to any ONE character, it was meant to make you feel sympathetic to Dom, who you did know, for losing someone in such a horrible way, the was obviously so close to him. If it didn't do that, then it simply didn't work for you. That doesn't make it any less or more emotional than a Halo death.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 06:55 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nactous didn't answer the question;

"Halo had a thought provoking print campaign.".

What thoughts did these provoke? -AC

I didnt see that, thanks AC, I'll get to that now. To me it provokes the ultimate persona of a hero. Listen to the words. "Need not speak, world will speak for him." That everything still standing is a testament to what he did, his sacrifice that he made, it "speaks for him because hes the reason its still there. He doesn't have to talk a lot, or use catch phrases that sound like that that were made by 11 year old, "Eat shit and Die" anyone?

"The wait is over."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 02:36 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well thanks AC, I was just getting to that. To me it provokes the ultimate persona of a hero. Listen to the words. "Need not speak, world will speak for him." That everything still standing is a testament to what he did, his sacrifice that he made, it "speaks for him because hes the reason its still there. He doesn't have to talk a lot, or use catch phrases that sound like that that were made by 11 year old, "Eat shit and Die" anyone?

The irony is that those kind of pseudo-philosophical phrases only appeal to kids who haven't got a clue what is actually intelligent.

"Eat shit and die" isn't meant as anything clever, so critiquing it for not being clever is a bit stupid. Halo's cookie-cutter, pseudo-philosophical phrasings aren't clever either. They mean what they say.

"A hero need not speak, for when he is gone, the world will speak for him".

What? Sounds like the tagline from Troy or something silly like that. How is that thought provoking? Thought provoking is to provoke general and relatively focused or deep thought. Usually stemming from subjects or phrases that can imply many different things.

That one doesn't, because it has one very obvious meaning; it's just a way of saying that heroes "live" long after they are dead, through legend. It's a premise that has been used in battle speeches in just about every medieval/historical movie of the past million years.

If you have a shred of sense, you might think "Oh, it means that.". It's thought provoking if you don't get the simple and obvious meaning. It's not some deep, profound comment with many ways of being interpreted, it's a very simple quote. There's nothing special about it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Dec 5th, 2008 at 02:44 PM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2008 02:41 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote