KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Dante's Inferno

Dante's Inferno
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Dude's right. Why is there is so much complaining about this game not following a poem that's probably crappy?

nice of you to pass judgement on something you haven't even read. it's a masterpiece, frankly.

god of war is different. greek mythology is notoriously violent already, and has already been adapted in to movies, books, comics, games, etc.

it's not the same thing.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2009 05:40 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
because everyone wants to be an intellectual.

"people who have good taste" laughing out loud
There are such things as good taste and bad taste.

Anyone whose favorite writer is HP Lovecraft has good taste.

Anyone whose favorite writer is, oh, I don't know, Stephanie Meyer has bad taste.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2009 07:02 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

complaining about a game not following certain source material to the letter despite the game makers never saying thats what they were trying to do does not signify good or bad taste. obviously this is only loosely based off of the epic no one has said "this is a realsitic adaptation of dantes epic" so i dont really see what the problem is. why do people care about a company taking something and turning it into something else and how does that relate to taste? the epics arent people they dont care and the author is dead. he doesnt care.

imo it seems more like snobbishness and pseudointellecual ranting than there being an actual problem. im not trying to attack anyone or put anybody down but thats just how i interpret it.

Last edited by AthenasTrgrFngr on Sep 24th, 2009 at 01:41 AM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 01:34 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

complaining about a game not following certain source material to the letter despite the game makers never saying thats what they were trying to do does not signify good or bad taste.
I agree. smile

Just wanted to point that out.

Personally as long as the gameplay is good I am willing to play this game at least as a rental, if it is longer I may buy.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 01:51 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Originally posted by NemeBro
I agree. smile

youre learning! *cracks whip* stick out tongue

quote:
Just wanted to point that out.

Personally as long as the gameplay is good I am willing to play this game at least as a rental, if it is longer I may buy. [/B]

'sho nuff. yes

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 02:03 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

youre learning! *cracks whip* stick out tongue

'sho nuff. yes
Ugh...! Please sir, can I have some more!?

Indeed.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 02:20 AM
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

As far as I'm concerned, developers taking excessive liberties from the source material is really something that should be expected in video games, because God of War isn't the only thing before this game to have done something like that.

There are such things as good taste and bad taste.

Anyone whose favorite writer is HP Lovecraft has good taste.

Anyone whose favorite writer is, oh, I don't know, Stephanie Meyer has bad taste.

laughing

I like a few of Dean Koontz's books myself.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 09:28 PM
BloodRawEngine is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRawEngine a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRawEngine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

complaining about a game not following certain source material to the letter despite the game makers never saying thats what they were trying to do does not signify good or bad taste. obviously this is only loosely based off of the epic no one has said "this is a realsitic adaptation of dantes epic" so i dont really see what the problem is. why do people care about a company taking something and turning it into something else and how does that relate to taste? the epics arent people they dont care and the author is dead. he doesnt care.

imo it seems more like snobbishness and pseudointellecual ranting than there being an actual problem. im not trying to attack anyone or put anybody down but thats just how i interpret it.

that's not the point, though. taking on that name and giving any sort of impression that it's tied to dante's work is simply bad judgment, which is the problem. thankfully they seem to have gotten away from all that as time has gone on...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 11:38 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

but it is tied to dantes work.

the basic storyline is that dante goes into hell and is guided by vergil. that is the basic outline of dc. in this game you go down into hell and youre guided by vergil. but thats where the similarities end. and the developers even state this:

notice how they say that theres a distinct description of cerberus in greek mythology but they decided they didnt like that version and so made their own version? that doesnt mean that theyre work is no longer loosely inspired from greek mythology. so all this is is a game maker taking an already created story and shaping it to a way that they want... and no one ever stated otherwise. people thinking that they're somehow making an adaptation of his work just dont understand what theyre doing. know what i mean?

- - -

after looking at the game it doesnt seem to be all that good though imo. i dont like adventure games like god of war and this looks exactly like god of war. -_-

Last edited by AthenasTrgrFngr on Sep 25th, 2009 at 07:20 AM

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 07:18 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

after looking at the game it doesnt seem to be all that good though imo. i dont like adventure games like god of war and this looks exactly like god of war. -_-

"Action-Adventure" more to the point.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 07:25 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

yeah that first part was on the the of my tongue thanks lol.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 07:29 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

but it is tied to dantes work.

the basic storyline is that dante goes into hell and is guided by vergil. that is the basic outline of dc. in this game you go down into hell and youre guided by vergil. but thats where the similarities end. and the developers even state this:

notice how they say that theres a distinct description of cerberus in greek mythology but they decided they didnt like that version and so made their own version? that doesnt mean that theyre work is no longer loosely inspired from greek mythology. so all this is is a game maker taking an already created story and shaping it to a way that they want... and no one ever stated otherwise. people thinking that they're somehow making an adaptation of his work just dont understand what theyre doing. know what i mean?

- - -

and that's the problem. tying it to dante's work at all when it's in no way similar to the book bar some names and a general premise is a bad idea, imo.

i don't think anyone who read this thread genuinely think they're making an adaptation...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 03:09 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

i dont understand why that is a bad idea i guess is the problem.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 07:09 PM
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

I would laugh if they decided to make a "Faust" video game if this does well.

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 10:00 PM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by -Pr-
i don't think anyone who read this thread genuinely think they're making an adaptation...
Then why b1tch?

Old Post Sep 26th, 2009 05:57 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Well the game is coming out February 9th next year and one of the bosses will be a giant Cleopatra. Weird.

I hope the nine circles of Hell aren't small circles if you know what I mean.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2009 11:57 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

bit late, but...

Then why b1tch?

for associating with it at all.

also, it's not b*tching if it's a worthwhile complaint.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 10th, 2009 06:43 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

anything can be considered worthwhile from a certain point of view (gets all star wars up in this).

but anyway. yeah i personally dont see the harm in a company putting their own spin on an already incredible story at all. if anything this will most likely intrigue people into finding out more about the actual books which is a good thing!

Old Post Dec 10th, 2009 08:29 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

anything can be considered worthwhile from a certain point of view (gets all star wars up in this).

but anyway. yeah i personally dont see the harm in a company putting their own spin on an already incredible story at all. if anything this will most likely intrigue people into finding out more about the actual books which is a good thing!

let's just hope the game is good, then...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 10th, 2009 08:53 AM
Sin_Volvagia

PS3 gets the demo today. I will see if this game is worthy or not.

sig by ScreamPaste

Old Post Dec 10th, 2009 02:19 PM
Sin_Volvagia is currently offline Click here to Send Sin_Volvagia a Private Message Find more posts by Sin_Volvagia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote