KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Vader's Legacy - Opinion on the Redemption of Vader

Vader's Legacy - Opinion on the Redemption of Vader
Started by: DarkSideisMeth

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Well.. If that was the case, then all of the redeemed ex-Sith or Dark Jedi have it. I doubt it's a presonality disorder, it's just one of the many ways in which the dark side corrupts your being.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2009 10:03 PM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
Dissociative Identity = Multiple Personality Disorder, btw.

so its another one of Anakin's personalities? So does that mean he has the disorder - sort of, anyway?
You're seriously applying Earth-based psychology on characters from a galaxy filled with an ethereal energy field that f*cks with their minds?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2009 05:31 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Anakin in RoTS said to Padme "only my new powers can save you . . ."
Jacen turned because of his false belief that by becoming a Sith Lord, he could save his daughter.

Using and being of the darkside are two very different perspectives. Zekk turned because he was told that the Jedi feared him because of his power. When he was of the dark he was stronger than Jacen and Jaina, but he couldn't kill his former friends. He turned to the light soon afterwards. Others like Exar Kun and Sidious are consumed with the lust for power. Bastilla saved Revan by bringging before the Council. She and Revan loved each other. Anakin loved Padme and when he saw Luke being tortured by Sidious, he had to save his son. His redemption had to be his death though.

War Doctor

Old Post Jan 26th, 2009 10:08 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

quote:
His redemption had to be his death though.

See, I'm not sure about that. What if he had been treated (medically) and he survived? Would he have retained his lightside status or was it a temporary state like Jacen's 'ultimate oneness with the Force' at the end of TUF?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2009 10:38 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent

Very good question. I think with Juno, Kota and the Alliance he would have remained lightside Red.

War Doctor

Old Post Jan 26th, 2009 10:43 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Didn't Kota die? (And who is Juno? I'm still in the dark about most of TFU.)

I'd be surprised if a lifetime (or at least 19 years) of Darkside habits would be so easily forgotten. Have there been any other cases of (non-Revan, he needed reprogramming) darksiders being redeemed and staying redeemed? Especially with someone as powerful with the Dark Side as Vader, I would be astonished if he didn't relapse. His methods would at the very least shock the Alliance.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2009 10:49 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
You're seriously applying Earth-based psychology on characters from a galaxy filled with an ethereal energy field that f*cks with their minds?

*shrug*

I'm bored.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2009 04:46 AM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
See, I'm not sure about that. What if he had been treated (medically) and he survived? Would he have retained his lightside status or was it a temporary state like Jacen's 'ultimate oneness with the Force' at the end of TUF?

It was thematically appropriate, which is the override to any debate about the question.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 28th, 2009 10:57 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent

Juno Eclipse - Galen's love intererst. Kota didn't die either. He was one of the initial founders of the Rebellion. I don't know what happened to him afterwards or when he died.

War Doctor

Old Post Jan 28th, 2009 08:19 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by Ushgarak
It was thematically appropriate, which is the override to any debate about the question.

We're arguing the validity of the redemption, and I admit that I got side-tracked. Was Vader's betrayal of Sidious (and by extension, the Dark Side itself) enough to warrant a light side conversion? I don't feel like it was- one act doesn't make up for 19 years of oppression- so I wondered if the salvation was a limited time only deal.

Does the fact that Vader died increase the relative 'goodness' of his act?

Old Post Jan 28th, 2009 10:27 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
We're arguing the validity of the redemption, and I admit that I got side-tracked. Was Vader's betrayal of Sidious (and by extension, the Dark Side itself) enough to warrant a light side conversion? I don't feel like it was- one act doesn't make up for 19 years of oppression- so I wondered if the salvation was a limited time only deal.

Does the fact that Vader died increase the relative 'goodness' of his act?
I don't think the issue is whether he was brought back to the light. One does not need an abundance of deeds to prove one's alignment with it, that's an internal, mental thing. The issue is whether the sacrifice redeemed Vader in the eyes of morality and the law. Which it didn't.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2009 11:12 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote