KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Why did you buy a Wii?

I bought it primarily to.............
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Play Nintendo games and this generation games 6 85.71%
play virtual consol (relive the 8 & 16 bit era) 1 14.29%
Total: 7 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Why did you buy a Wii?
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
The thing about both Wii and DS games of the new model is that they have this tendency to keep selling month afetr month afetr month, which is what is making them top sellers, rather than blasting all their sale time into the first three months after release (though some of them do get supremely strong starts as well).

Wii Fit is a good cse in point there, still selling extremely well. But on the DS, the Brain Training games have done the same thing- but, straddling the divide somewhat, so is Mario Kart DS.

No other console is selling games with such long legs.

With the exception of probably 1 game. Call of Duty 4, which is still in the top 20 xbox 360 games and has been month after month since it's release.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 07:27 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

I bought it mainly for Zelda:Twilight Princess. Barely used it since I beat it. I had it boxed for over a year after that. I finally decided to take it out and put it in the kids room. They play it on aregular basis. I gotta admit that party games are fun. One thing that I dont understand about Wii, With all the profit it has made with sales, How come they havent slashed the prices? The Xbox360 went down to about $199. The PS3 went down to $350 and is expected to drop down even more in the coming weeks. Why cant Nintendo do the same?

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 07:37 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I bought it mainly for Zelda:Twilight Princess. Barely used it since I beat it. I had it boxed for over a year after that. I finally decided to take it out and put it in the kids room. They play it on aregular basis. I gotta admit that party games are fun. One thing that I dont understand about Wii, With all the profit it has made with sales, How come they havent slashed the prices? The Xbox360 went down to about $199. The PS3 went down to $350 and is expected to drop down even more in the coming weeks. Why cant Nintendo do the same?

The $199 360 is the bottom of the line one that most people don't bother with, and the main reason that prices dropped was because sales had plateaued. The cheapest PS3 is $400 and that's with many features removed and again, price drops for the system were because of low sales.

Meanwhile the Wii is already (relatively) cheap and still consistently sells out everywhere after having been out for 2 years. There's no need for Nintendo to drop the price.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 08:15 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I wouldn't say the Wii is relatively cheap when its still around $280.

Then again, there is no reason to change but its certainly not cheap.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 08:57 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

I bought it for shits and giggles. Then sold it due to lack of interest in most video games.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2009 09:36 PM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Smasandian
I wouldn't say the Wii is relatively cheap when its still around $280.

Well, I would, seeing as it is less expensive than most currently available console options- that is rather the definition of 'relative'.

It's simply no longer the cheapest. But to try and deny it is relatively cheap is simply denial of reality.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 6th, 2009 02:00 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah I guess.

But looking at what your getting in the package, and what you can get for the price of the 360, the price point is high.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2009 03:33 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

I bought mine for Smash Brothers.

I'm a ****ing whore for smash brothers.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Mar 6th, 2009 04:02 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

How does the wii look on an HD LCD (Wii & VC games?)

When I get mine Im thinking of plugging it in to a normal tube TV since its 480 res, and besides old school were meant to be played on tube

Old Post Mar 7th, 2009 03:50 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

On mine, it looks like garbage most of the times. If you have Component cables, it looks better and in widescreen, but most games look like garbage on HDTV's, or atleast it does on mine.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2009 06:18 PM
gogogadgetgo

Re: Why did you buy a Wii?

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Wii sales are astronomical. Probably going to be going down as one of the greatest, most selling consols of all time.

But it is a well known fact, and no joke that wii software sales are seriously in the pooper with no sight in recovering againts the other two guys

Begs the question:

"why did you buy a wii?"

Personally im going to get one to primarily play NES,SNES games with a very small hand full of n64 and games cube.
The only newer titles ill get would be zelda, mario, and metroid and thats it.

If i want to play medal of honor im gonna do it on my PS3

coz it sounded like a great deal at the time
traded my ps3 and 10 games for a wii with 2 wiimotes n nunchuck attatchments, about 8 games and an xbox 360 with 1 wireless controller and also about 8 games! now that was some sweet deal!

saddly, i didnt enjoy the wii much and the xbox360 is dead.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2009 12:14 PM
gogogadgetgo is currently offline Click here to Send gogogadgetgo a Private Message Find more posts by gogogadgetgo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chidori210
(>'.')>RAWR<('.'<)

Party games and for super smash bros

Lesson #3 : If you see a stranger, Follow him
[

Old Post Mar 10th, 2009 01:48 PM
chidori210 is currently offline Click here to Send chidori210 a Private Message Find more posts by chidori210 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

Pretty much to get my hands on every first party game that they make. Because while Wii has it's hefty amount of one-shot third-party gimmick games, Nintendo at least still knows what the hell they're doing with the Wii's technology. Granted, there are indeed a few third-party games that manage to make good use of the Wii with their games; most people tend to look at No More Heroes as a primary example, and it happens to be one of, if not my favorite Wii game. I have yet to play MadWorld, which seems to use a similar formula as No More Heroes: ultra exagerrated violence mixed with its own unique sense of action, a highly stylized graphical atmosphere, and a satirical punk-style sense of humor that doesn't abuse the Wii's motion contorls and instead saves them for more core elements such as QTE's or special attacks (instead of just shoe-horning it by adressing EVERY attack to the Wii's motion sense, which either gets old quickly or sucks to begin with depending on the game).

As far as scores are concnerned, MadWorld seems to be getting equally good ratings from the critics as No More Heroes, and I tend to prefer highly-stylized graphics over high-end naturalistic graphics, I just think it's a better artistic expression. Truth be told, where Wii lacks power in making graphics like the higest-end PS3/360 games, they compensate for actually bothering to look into the other kind of art-style which is underrepresented in the other consoles this generation imho (there's Prince of Persia, and Street Fighter IV, off the top of my head).

Old Post Mar 14th, 2009 11:57 PM
BloodRawEngine is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRawEngine a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRawEngine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

SSBB, zelda, mario, and to see what a shooter would feel like with its controls big grin..
i do not at all regret my decision to buy a wii...its probably one of the better gaming decisions ive made in my short life..

Old Post Mar 15th, 2009 12:04 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bro SMASH

I've been playing Nintendo games since I was little. Big consoles from the NES to the Wii and I really like the franchises they make too (like Mario, Zelda, Punch-Out!!, Smash Bros.) so I wanted to see what they had for this generation. Of course, I also like to play those old games I had too and with the Virtual Console, I can do just that.

SSBB was also a major reason for why I wanted to buy it too and I'm not disappointed at all.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/358/5/d/ultimate_crossover_by_vanishingwalker-d5kg5ey.jpg

Old Post Mar 15th, 2009 02:51 AM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote