KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Final Fantasy Favorites

Final Fantasy Favorites
Started by: Pyron_Knight

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Booyaka!
You got SERVED!

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 08:24 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Don't make unhelpful posts like that, occult.

Squall is by far the least identifiable main character and displays most strongly off-putting emo/angst traits throughout the game- sorry, but Tidus and Cloud do not even begin to compare. He is an absolutely horrendous abortive mess of a main character in probably the lwast convincing video game romance I've ever seen.

Opinions are opinions, but nominating and/or liking Squall simply shows an appalling lack of taste in characterisation and highlights a sorry problem where people can get away with that sort fo crap without beeling called otu on it (luckily, it seems far more people agree with me than do not). Go check out my VIII review for more detail as I say there all that needs to be said. This remains an area I have an extremely strong viewpoint about.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 09:34 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Squall didn't **** Quistis, for that alone he fails and sucks on levels beyond mere human comprehension. He was also a flat boring undeveloped character, and he still didn't **** Quistis. Squall's lousiness was just one of many problems with the game, however. The rest of the cast wasn't much better.

FFXI wasn't bad. It's barely comparable to other FF games and probably shouldn't have had a numeric behind it and even less should be compared to the other games in the series, but it was a decent MMO that I was into for some time.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 10:12 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I believe I also stressed the 'WHY NOT QUISITIS!!?' point in my review.

I've rcently been watching a funny (and extremely elongated) video review of FFVIII, which points out Sewifer must be gay. Why? because he escapes the Garden's 'Disciplinary rooms', and as the reviewer points out, any heterosexual stuck in a disciplinary room with Quisits is going to stay.

As it is, by the end of the game she has lost all of her authority and personality and is just cheerleading Squall on. Cut that out, girl- if you had been a half decent teacher you would have stopped Squall being such a mopey emo prick in the first place.

Introverted people make bad action game characters. Tidus and Cloud might also be whiny but they were outgoing and exuberant (and with more believable romance plots- and they weren't all that, so that is a comment on how godawful VIII's romance was). Squall has the worst of all worlds- broody, emotional, miserable, moany and boring on-screen. Just like Harry Potter in book 5, almost no-one liked him and they've never tried anything liker him again.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Mar 26th, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 10:21 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Squall's awesome. He's actually the only FF protagonist that i've connected with and respected. Personally I like emo people like him though, becuase it's realistically how people should be in that situation. Tidus? Laughs while slicing people and things up with his sword. Clearly has problems.

Zidane's cool though.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 10:50 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Introverted people make bad action game characters

What's wrong with introverted people?
It seems this issue far extends that of the realm of video games. It seems you dislike 'introverted people' in general.
What have they ever done to you? Maybe it's you who has a problem.

Me? I could care less about the attitude of the protagonist.
But I would do well with a quiet-type yet manly hero than with a whiny, girly-looking hero(ine).

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Mar 26th, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 11:03 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Now you are just babbling nonsense, occult. Trying to make out that it is some real life personality thing is akin to flaming- cut that out as well or you will be warned.

Introverted people have never made good action heroes, it is a basic axiom of drama. For a start, they are just not interesting on-screen- in a book, you can get away with it, but in anything visual then exuberance pays dividends, doubly so with a lead. Secondly, Squall's introversion combind with angst and decidedly unfriendly attitude in general is simply alienating to the majority of players. Like I say, it is like the Potter book 5 phenomenon- MASSIVE criticism over how unlikeable Harry had become for much the same reasons. Squall, meanwhile, is not even vaguely manly, either in looks or personality.

Meanwhile, trying to bring 'realism' of personality into a. any action genre and b. a Final Fantasy game is a mistake. Most of Tidus' issues in FFX are down to culture shock at his sudden transportation (he's a sports star after all, where Squall is meant to be a trained special ops guy), but at least he still has confidence.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Mar 26th, 2009 at 04:18 PM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 11:14 AM
BoratBorat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BackFire

FFXI wasn't bad. It's barely comparable to other FF games and probably shouldn't have had a numeric behind it and even less should be compared to the other games in the series, but it was a decent MMO that I was into for some time.
Hmm just out of curiosity... What job/race/level were you in ffxi and how far were you in the game?

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 12:38 PM
BoratBorat is currently offline Click here to Send BoratBorat a Private Message Find more posts by BoratBorat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote:
Introverted people have never made good action heroes, it is a basic axiom of drama.

3 words for you: The. Goddamn. Batman.

(please log in to view the image)

You fail.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 04:12 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh great, compare someome COMPLETELY different- Bruce Wayne is a bon viveur socialite for God's sake! Batman may be ansgty but he is not even REMOTELY introverted. He's actively the opposite, he's expressing his 'dark' side constantly.

Advice- think things through

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Mar 26th, 2009 at 04:27 PM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 04:16 PM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
...A very good reason?

Tidus b!tches and moans about his low to mild daddy issues and cries like a fvcking little girl about them, Jecht stole his mom's attention? Big fvcking WHOOPTY DOO! Who gives a flying shit if mommy did not whip her t!t out so you can supple it whenever daddy was around, and that his dad was kind of a dick who teased him for crying, the fact that he actually carried over this bitter emo resentment for so long proves he is pathetic.

You have claimed Squall never showed any development in the game. There is no other way to say this other than you're wrong, and I am not speaking of this particular claim as an opinion, it is a FACT.

Squall did not have a reason? His introverted nature is an obvious trait he gained from past abandonment, or at least what he perceived as it. He grew up in an orphanage, bullied by Seifer, cause you know, he's a dick, and his only joy was Ellone, who he saw as his big sister, until she left, he was never told why, and assumed she abandoned him.

Squall is not "whiny," he is introverted and brooding, sure, but he is not a crybaby whining b!tch like Tidus was. And his problems make Tidus' slight daddy issues look like shit.

And Squall continually throughout the game grew increasingly less introverted, he began talking more, he began to open up, and by the end of the game he bore his heart to Rinoa and smiled for what was the first time. THAT is development.

Don't get me wrong, FFX is a superior game to FFVIII by a long-shot, mostly because the second half of the game was shit due to a rushed and scrambled plot, but in terms of character, Squall crushes Tidus.

EDIT: And Cloud is worse than both combined.

I <3 u.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 07:08 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by DorianYates
Hmm just out of curiosity... What job/race/level were you in ffxi and how far were you in the game?

Just a Red Mage to 35. Then started messing around with the new classes. Got a Dark Knight to like 18. I would have gotten further but I got into the WoW beta and that pretty much took over.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 07:48 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote:
Oh great, compare someome COMPLETELY different- Bruce Wayne is a bon viveur socialite for God's sake! Batman may be ansgty but he is not even REMOTELY introverted. He's actively the opposite, he's expressing his 'dark' side constantly.

Advice- think things through

Pfftt, he is so introverted.

Bruce Wayne isn't the real person, it's just a cover. The real person is the emo dressed in black leather, leering in the shadows, saying 2 words of dialogue and then throwing a hissy fit all over the joker's face. If the Batman isn't introverted, no-one is. He's about as brooding as it comes.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 07:55 PM
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
...A very good reason?

Tidus b!tches and moans about his low to mild daddy issues and cries like a fvcking little girl about them, Jecht stole his mom's attention? Big fvcking WHOOPTY DOO! Who gives a flying shit if mommy did not whip her t!t out so you can supple it whenever daddy was around, and that his dad was kind of a dick who teased him for crying, the fact that he actually carried over this bitter emo resentment for so long proves he is pathetic.

You have claimed Squall never showed any development in the game. There is no other way to say this other than you're wrong, and I am not speaking of this particular claim as an opinion, it is a FACT.

Squall did not have a reason? His introverted nature is an obvious trait he gained from past abandonment, or at least what he perceived as it. He grew up in an orphanage, bullied by Seifer, cause you know, he's a dick, and his only joy was Ellone, who he saw as his big sister, until she left, he was never told why, and assumed she abandoned him.

Squall is not "whiny," he is introverted and brooding, sure, but he is not a crybaby whining b!tch like Tidus was. And his problems make Tidus' slight daddy issues look like shit.

And Squall continually throughout the game grew increasingly less introverted, he began talking more, he began to open up, and by the end of the game he bore his heart to Rinoa and smiled for what was the first time. THAT is development.

Don't get me wrong, FFX is a superior game to FFVIII by a long-shot, mostly because the second half of the game was shit due to a rushed and scrambled plot, but in terms of character, Squall crushes Tidus.

EDIT: And Cloud is worse than both combined.

Man, you're so off it's nearly laughable.

Okay, so Squall was orphaned and was abandoned in the past. That's great. So was Tidus. He already had issues with the fact that Jecht was a self-absorbed ass. Who then vanished. And then his mom dies. If Squall's allowed to be whiny because he was orphaned, then why does Tidus, having a similar background, have less of an excuse?

Then let's get into the whole Sin attack. You know, I'd say that being swept into another world entirely, where you don't know anyone or anything and your home is destroyed, is certainly more of a reason to be aggravating than anything that Squall deals with in the game. Yes, he's annoying and complains about stuff. But most of the annoyingness is due to sheer ignorance of the situation he's been dumped into. It's not something he could exactly help.

Oh, and let's not forget discovering that his dad is the main enemy. That's a bit of a blow. Or discovering exactly what happens to a Summoner that manages to defeat Sin. Or discovering that he isn't actually real. And yet he still manages to become a less annoying and more selfless person.

I'm no fan of Tidus, I'll make that clear. But I have to severely wonder about anyone who thinks that Squall's a superior character.

quote:
A week to go up five levels? It only took me less than an hour.

And its an MMORPG, the plots kicks in when you actually do something with NPC's rather than grinding and believe me, i actually completed most of the storyline missions in FFXI and the expansion sets storylines are close to being epic.

This alone just shows that you played extremely little of the game and is already coming up with judgement riddled with bias.

Well, I was playing a Black Mage. My friends that were playing all did melee classes. I think it was just the class I chose. However, that's still a big problem, and "too much damn grind" isn't exactly an uncommon complaint with that game.

And funny. One of the games I play the most right now is an MMO. It starts you out with the plot immediately. THAT is how a game should be.

A week was enough of that game. Not worth paying for, not at all.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 09:21 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Nephthys
Pfftt, he is so introverted.

Bruce Wayne isn't the real person, it's just a cover. The real person is the emo dressed in black leather, leering in the shadows, saying 2 words of dialogue and then throwing a hissy fit all over the joker's face. If the Batman isn't introverted, no-one is. He's about as brooding as it comes.

I think you need to re-assess your understanding of the term 'introverted'. Batman it ain't, not by an exceptiobnally long shot. It most definitely is not a synonym for 'brooding'.

Try again.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 09:42 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

'Introversion is "the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life".'

Rorschach.
Punisher.
Squall.
Link.
Cloud.
Master Chief.
Leon (movie)
Balian (Kindom of Heaven)
Aragorn.
Jason Bourne.
Russel Crow from Gladiator.
Auron.
Loads of Villians (Vader, Sephiroth etc)
Rambo?
Craig's Bond?
Batman.

Some may not be introvert's, but a good number are.

Last edited by Nephthys on Mar 26th, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 10:30 PM
NemeBro

Originally posted by Peach
Man, you're so off it's nearly laughable.

Okay, so Squall was orphaned and was abandoned in the past. That's great. So was Tidus. He already had issues with the fact that Jecht was a self-absorbed ass. Who then vanished. And then his mom dies. If Squall's allowed to be whiny because he was orphaned, then why does Tidus, having a similar background, have less of an excuse?

Then let's get into the whole Sin attack. You know, I'd say that being swept into another world entirely, where you don't know anyone or anything and your home is destroyed, is certainly more of a reason to be aggravating than anything that Squall deals with in the game. Yes, he's annoying and complains about stuff. But most of the annoyingness is due to sheer ignorance of the situation he's been dumped into. It's not something he could exactly help.

Oh, and let's not forget discovering that his dad is the main enemy. That's a bit of a blow. Or discovering exactly what happens to a Summoner that manages to defeat Sin. Or discovering that he isn't actually real. And yet he still manages to become a less annoying and more selfless person.

I'm no fan of Tidus, I'll make that clear. But I have to severely wonder about anyone who thinks that Squall's a superior character.
1. That's funny, that is how I feel about the vast majority of your posts.

2. You would have a point. But you have one flaw. THAT IS NOT WHY TIDUS WAS A PERPETUAL WHINER. By his own admission, the reason for his emo-hate for his dad is because mommy didn't show him attention when daddy was around. Tidus is a selfish brat. Tidus cries and whines, Squall does not, he just keeps to himself, yet he's the whiny emo protagonist? Squall is not whiny, you do not know it's definition if you think he is, he is introverted, and something of a cold dick. Tidus was a whiny prick.

3. That's not why I find him annoying at all. Why would anyone dislike him just because he is ignorant of Spira? He just got there, and that is not why he is whiny, so that is irrelevant.

4. I know, character development. But in your bias, you somehow believe that Squall had none. Which is a factually un-true statement. I did not say that Tidus had no character development at all, you're the only person who made such a claim.

5. Because he is not a whiny crybaby?

EDIT: Batman is one of the most selfish, emo, pathetic, and overrated piece of shit characters there are.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 10:56 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Don't make unhelpful posts like that, occult.

Squall is by far the least identifiable main character and displays most strongly off-putting emo/angst traits throughout the game- sorry, but Tidus and Cloud do not even begin to compare. He is an absolutely horrendous abortive mess of a main character in probably the lwast convincing video game romance I've ever seen.

Opinions are opinions, but nominating and/or liking Squall simply shows an appalling lack of taste in characterisation and highlights a sorry problem where people can get away with that sort fo crap without beeling called otu on it (luckily, it seems far more people agree with me than do not). Go check out my VIII review for more detail as I say there all that needs to be said. This remains an area I have an extremely strong viewpoint about.
1. Cloud after supposedly getting over Aeris' death and accepting his companions spent the next 2-3 years moping about Aeris and alienated his companions. no expression

Cloud is by far the worst.

But yeah the FFVIII romance did suck.

2. Right, because you are the one who sets the standard for bad taste correct?

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 10:59 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Nephthys
'Introversion is "the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life".'

Rorschach.
Punisher.
Squall.
Link.
Cloud.
Master Chief.
Leon (movie)
Balian (Kindom of Heaven)
Aragorn.
Jason Bourne.
Russel Crow from Gladiator.
Auron.
Loads of Villians (Vader, Sephiroth etc)
Rambo?
Craig's Bond?
Batman.

Some may not be introvert's, but a good number are.

Oh, so that's just a random list of people, some of who may be introverts, eh? How pointless.

Honestly, you are going nowhere here. Once more- Batman is not an introvert of any sort.

-

Thunder- I dunno if you are talking about post VII there, but I certainly see none of what you see in the game. And I am happy to bank on the respect I get around here for things like my review threads when it comes to statements on such things, yes.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 11:04 PM
NemeBro

It was in Advent Children, which is canon to the game.

So because of what some random internet people say about your review threads, your opinion>Most other people's?

Humorous.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2009 11:06 PM