KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Americans or Japanese?

Americans or Japanese?
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Most, if not all, the games I enjoy the most are the Japanese ones.

IMHO, Japanese games have better storylines, better character designs, better music, better replay value, better graphic designs... just downright better than any American game I have played, with few exceptions like GoW, GTA, The Curse of Monkey Island, etc.

Here are some great Japanese game titles/franchises:

Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy, Tales of Eternia, Legend of Dragoon, Bushido Blade, Tekken, Street Fighter, ICO, Shadow of The Colossus, Sonic The Hedgehog, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, Metroid, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, Kingdom Hearts, Castlevania, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Pokemon, Mega Man, Okami

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 05:21 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

quote: (post)
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
Devil May Cry
This is where your post lost all credibility.

DMC is the most overrated pile of shit in gaming.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 05:48 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Retired Debater
Western RPGs completely lack the charm and magical quality of Japanese RPGs, and that my friends, is a fact. RPGs are fundamentally about storyline; you get games like Oblivion or Fallout 3, the stories of which are overly heavy and slow moving, with little real direction throughout the game, with a vast emphasis on gameplay and traversing the world map; games like Mass Effect or Knights of the Old Republic that don't appear able to actually depict a captivating Sci-Fi setting (it could take some serious tips from the Star Ocean Series for that), that ultimately ends up looking quite simply gloomy, with a typical Sci-Fi storyline that completely lacks creativity or originality to boot; you get MMORPGs like World of Warcraft which have absolutely no plotline or direction; and then you get games like Fable that ultimately don't know how to tell a good story and try to make it unique by placing a large emphasis on player choice, that doesn't even present that large a storyline variance in the first place.

The only exception to my knowledge would be Secret of Evermore, and even that was presented in a very distinct Japanese style and developed and published by a Japanese Company (but by American Developers), making it an arguable JRPG anyway.
No, you're wrong. smile

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 05:51 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
No, you're wrong. smile

Yeah, Jap games don't have any magic or charm on me.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 05:55 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Peach
I'm the same way. I like Guild Wars, but that's an MMO and doesn't really count, and Fable 2 was enjoyable but not great. But for the most part, western RPGs I've played have ranged from mediocre to "bored me to tears and I quit in less than three hours". Didn't like KOTOR all that much, greatly disliked Mass Effect, Oblivion was the biggest waste of time ever, etc. In my opinion, Bioware is one of the most over-rated companies to exist.

Also doesn't help that I just very, very dislike that style of gameplay.

Western RPGs also tend to have claims of "your actions can change the game!" but this is never actually true. No matter what you do, you're still locked into a specific course of action. Maybe two.
MMOs are still RPGs.

KotOR is overrated, I admit, but it still has more plot and depth than most JRPGs, which, other than a few exceptions, are just the same things over and over again. FFVII, VIII, and IX are all nearly the same in all ways other than story(cause VIII's was bullshit fail). Mass Effect had better gameplay than most JRPGs, and a far better plot than all but a few exceptions like Tales of the Abyss or Legend of Dragoon. Oblivion a waste of time? Why?

2. What style of gameplay?

3. I'll give you this, I was very angry at Fable 2 for its bullshit claims that you can change the game in so many ways when you...Can't.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 05:55 PM
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

3. I'll give you this, I was very angry at Fable 2 for its bullshit claims that you can change the game in so many ways when you...Can't.

Well it did have the most epic boss battle EVAR!

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 05:57 PM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Well it did have the most epic boss battle EVAR!
I am not amused.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 06:03 PM
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

I am not amused.

Well take some slimfast and LIGHTEN UP! You get it?

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 06:05 PM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Gothic's still the best game ever in existence and that's German, so **** you America, **** you Japan, we own you!

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 06:15 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I disagree.

Earnest Evans is the greatest game to ever be created.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 06:17 PM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

This is where your post lost all credibility.

DMC is the most overrated pile of shit in gaming.

Well, can you name me any American RPG/VS game that can trump any of those legendary titles that I mentioned?

BTW, I do agree that DMC is overrated, but it's still bloody fun!

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 07:05 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King-Fingolfin
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, can you name me any American RPG/VS game that can trump any of those legendary titles that I mentioned?

BTW, I do agree that DMC is overrated, but it's still bloody fun!

World of Warcraft

no expression

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 07:07 PM
King-Fingolfin is currently offline Click here to Send King-Fingolfin a Private Message Find more posts by King-Fingolfin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ChakraStrings

Also, look at some of the other games the States have produced.
The Halo trilogy, Gears of War, the GTA series,

GTA was made in Dundee initially and now in Edinbugh...both in Scotland.

Although DMA Design (The original creators) were taken over by a US company, the games are still made in Scotland.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 07:32 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Originally posted by King-Fingolfin
World of Warcraft

no expression

WoW is SHIT.

Don't ever compare shit with great Japanese classic RPGs.

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Apr 11th, 2009 at 07:48 PM

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 07:44 PM
Retired Debater
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by King-Fingolfin
World of Warcraft

is the most overrated pile of shit in gaming.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 07:45 PM
Retired Debater is currently offline Click here to Send Retired Debater a Private Message Find more posts by Retired Debater Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

WoW is SHIT.

Don't ever compare shit with great Japanese classic RPGs.

You can call it shit all day, if you want. However, that doesn't translate to real world.

Why do so many millions continue to play it if it is so shitty? Why is just about every last person in my college program playing it except me?

Even if they call it shit, it's got the right shit to make them stick.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 09:20 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Retired Debater
Western RPGs completely lack the charm and magical quality of Japanese RPGs, and that my friends, is a fact. RPGs are fundamentally about storyline; you get games like Oblivion or Fallout 3, the stories of which are overly heavy and slow moving, with little real direction throughout the game, with a vast emphasis on gameplay and traversing the world map; games like Mass Effect or Knights of the Old Republic that don't appear able to actually depict a captivating Sci-Fi setting (it could take some serious tips from the Star Ocean Series for that), that ultimately ends up looking quite simply gloomy, with a typical Sci-Fi storyline that completely lacks creativity or originality to boot; you get MMORPGs like World of Warcraft which have absolutely no plotline or direction; and then you get games like Fable that ultimately don't know how to tell a good story and try to make it unique by placing a large emphasis on player choice, that doesn't even present that large a storyline variance in the first place.

The only exception to my knowledge would be Secret of Evermore, and even that was presented in a very distinct Japanese style and developed and published by a Japanese Company (but by American Developers), making it an arguable JRPG anyway.

You are wrong. There is nothing in the definition of the RPG that requires the story to be the primary focus. The primary focus of an RPG is staying completely in a role of a character throughout the course of a game. Which is why many argue that games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion and even to some GTA games are more of an RPG than many Japanese RPG's, which tend to be more of an interactive movie.

Also, JRPG's have a different method of storytelling than American ones. You are right in that American ones do tend to be darker and bleaker, but that's not inherently bad. Japanese RPG's are extremely melodramatic, even the best ones, they are over the top while American ones tend to be much more grounded.

The focus is simply different. American RPG's like Fallout 3 is focused not on melodramatic storytelling but sheer exploration of its world. Its heart and soul is in the world it built, rather than the story, where as in JRPG's their soul is in their story rather than the world they built or exploration.

Frankly I pity those who call themselves RPG fans but can't enjoy a game that focuses more on exploring a world infinitely more detailed and nuanced than any game world any JRPG has ever created. Both types of games can be extraordinarily satisfying.

Last edited by BackFire on Apr 11th, 2009 at 09:36 PM

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 09:30 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by dadudemon
You can call it shit all day, if you want. However, that doesn't translate to real world.

Why do so many millions continue to play it if it is so shitty? Why is just about every last person in my college program playing it except me?

Even if they call it shit, it's got the right shit to make them stick.
Well, if you equate popularity with non shittiness then yeah. Though personally I don't tend to do that.

Not that I think WoW is shit. It's quite fun as far as I recall.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 09:36 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

WoW absolutely isn't shit. It's not for everyone, some people just don't like the style of MMO's, but the game certainly has quality there, it's world is the most complete and purely explorable world of any MMO out there and its attention to detail is simply amazing. And as far as storytelling goes, it's what you make of it. It does have some great story told through questlines that are pretty damn good. Frankly I think the only people who really complain about the lack of story is the ones who simply close the quest dialogue without reading it, just noting the objective, and then wondering why all the quests are boring.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 09:39 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

MMOs are still RPGs.

KotOR is overrated, I admit, but it still has more plot and depth than most JRPGs, which, other than a few exceptions, are just the same things over and over again. FFVII, VIII, and IX are all nearly the same in all ways other than story(cause VIII's was bullshit fail). Mass Effect had better gameplay than most JRPGs, and a far better plot than all but a few exceptions like Tales of the Abyss or Legend of Dragoon. Oblivion a waste of time? Why?

2. What style of gameplay?

MMOs are a different breed of RPG, is what I meant.

KOTOR had depth? You're joking, right? It really didn't. It was just the same basic plot that's been done in SW EU time and time again. There really was nothing deep about the plot at all.

I don't like the sort of open action-RPG gameplay that most western games use. I'm more used to the sort of turn-based thing, and that's what I prefer. It always feels like it works better to me. If the game itself is enjoyable enough, then I can deal with the crappy gameplay (Fable 2 kept me entertained enough to play), but I'm not going to prefer it.

Oblivion was a waste of time in that I have never been so bored in a game before. I don't like how it was completely open-ended. I hate that in games. That's part of why I greatly dislike most MMOs, btw - and part of why I like GW, in that it's not, there is a definite plot and end to that plot.

quote:
Frankly I pity those who call themselves RPG fans but can't enjoy a game that focuses more on exploring a world infinitely more detailed and nuanced than any game world any JRPG has ever created. Both types of games can be extraordinarily satisfying.

They can be, but that doesn't mean they will be. Pointless exploration just for the sake of it bores me. I play RPGs for the story, and how it's presented. Just wandering around exploring a world is not in the least bit engaging to me, and is just tedious and boring.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 10:24 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote