KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Completed Palpatine Essay

Completed Palpatine Essay
Started by: Gideon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (23): « First ... « 21 22 [23]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Corrected.

I read Twilight and I am Touchy-Feely. But that does not contradict what I say!

Old Post May 12th, 2011 05:15 AM
Click here to Send RagingBoner a Private Message Find more posts by RagingBoner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
So that means you're based out of Spokane? Hahaha! B*tch I'mma commin' for you!

Yeah, Spokane. We like to pretend we're a badass big city, but we fail.

Hell, none of the state universities are even here. I have to f*cking commute to get to Washington State.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 05:16 AM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by RagingBoner
I read Twilight and I am Touchy-Feely. But that does not contradict what I say!

Lolz. I think I still have that picture of you and what's his face.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 05:28 AM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Lolz. I think I still have that picture of you and what's his face.

It got me laid that night. big grin

Old Post May 12th, 2011 05:36 AM
Click here to Send RagingBoner a Private Message Find more posts by RagingBoner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by RagingBoner
I'm not averse to Kun retaining his amulets in combat. I just think it's silly that Nephthyspeople are b1tching and moaning that it's "unfair" if he doesn't have them.

If you had actually read the thread you'd know that I was merely responding to TJ, Slash and later, you others bitching about how unfair him having the amulet is and about how he shouldn't have them in a versus forum. At least I'm assuming you're simply ignorant of that fact. God knows you would never lie!

quote:
TJ.
i mean, i don't consider anyone i meet on the internet to be an actual friend, but to each there own.

Originally posted by Zampanó
[grumbling about 1st year philosophy students]

I'm convinced that it is because of how the classes are taught. First, a concept is introduced. The students are expected to understand the arguments. The thing is, the old style philosophers were so paranoid that they make their arguments like fortresses. If you give them ground (i.e. accept their assumptions) then they literally cannot be proven wrong.

The next class period, the students are all excited to find such a smart, well thought out worldview and they are convinced that if everyone would just learn [utilitarianism or whatever 1st year text they've been assigned] then the entire world can get straightened out. They're excited to find out what more the class can possibly teach them.

The professor then proceeds to thoroughly debunk the philosophy, starting with the assumptions and then moving into various contradictions that may arise. The students' worldview is shattered. A new topic is introduced, usually one that was a response to the flawed initial topic. (Old style philosophers also liked to call each other stupid.) Now the 1st year philosophy majors have a brand new concept to latch onto, and the cycle continues.

It's a bit like econ-majors. The intro classes are pretty interesting, and convince students that they know everything about the topic. Why, they ask, have unions been allowed to survive when pure competition is obviously the best thing ever conceived?! Then they take 312 and find out about Monopsony and/or collective bargaining...etc. The problem is that people are way overconfident in what they know, even when there is obviously a body of knowledge they do not yet have.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...fying-Education

Last edited by Nephthys on May 12th, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Old Post May 12th, 2011 09:56 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
It's a bit like econ-majors. The intro classes are pretty interesting, and convince students that they know everything about the topic. Why, they ask, have unions been allowed to survive when pure competition is obviously the best thing ever conceived?! Then they take 312 and find out about Monopsony and/or collective bargaining...etc. The problem is that people are way overconfident in what they know, even when there is obviously a body of knowledge they do not yet have.

I didn't find econ classes to be anything special. I learned more from reading books and journals than I ever got out of 30+ hours of econ classes.. Except econometrics. That stuff made my head explode.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 02:34 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

i've got a friend like this: He has all the answers to the economic world right now, and I just want to slap him in the face.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 02:39 PM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

I have taken 20 credits worth of Econ classes and I still have no idea what the f*ck is going on.

All those neat little models and thought experiements kind of fall apart.

Last edited by Lucius on May 12th, 2011 at 03:01 PM

Old Post May 12th, 2011 02:57 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lucius
I have taken 20 credits worth of Econ classes and I still have no idea what the f*ck is going on.

All those neat little models and thought experiements kind of fall apart.

Not really, it's all pretty simple if you learn it yourself and not the way they teach it to you. To be fair, I'm more of a financial/macro guy and I wouldn't know dick about micro.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:10 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
Not really, it's all pretty simple if you learn it yourself and not the way they teach it to you. To be fair, I'm more of a financial/macro guy and I wouldn't know dick about micro.

I LOVE micro.

Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
I didn't find econ classes to be anything special. I learned more from reading books and journals than I ever got out of 30+ hours of econ classes.. Except econometrics. That stuff made my head explode.

And I agree that the class itself is worthless. I slept through half of the classes and still pulled a 97% average (the class was graded on a curve and I was both the highest scoring and youngest student). big grin

Old Post May 12th, 2011 04:02 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagingBoner
Restricted

Account Restricted

Z., what are you planning to do with your life post-college?

Old Post May 12th, 2011 04:05 PM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

I LOVE micro.

And I agree that the class itself is worthless. I slept through half of the classes and still pulled a 97% average (the class was graded on a curve and I was both the highest scoring and youngest student). big grin

You forgot the "least straight".

Old Post May 12th, 2011 04:07 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT!

j/k

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 10:49 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

lol

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 10:51 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Well, ideally I will become the mouthpiece for the creator of the universe, preferably by retroactively mooting roughly nine tenths of the history of the universe. (In the singularity all things are possible.)

Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

combined with a *sigh*

That's my reaction to today's "event".

Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Nephthys
GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT!

j/k

(The thread is closed. It would be unwise to try to "gloat" about anything in any thread that you do not want judiciously closed, like the social thread spanning 1000+ pages.)

I see what is going on here... stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 10:54 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, this is a joke. I'd feel awful if this was actually closed.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 10:57 PM
Turr_Phennir
Restricted

Account Restricted

Who's gloating and why?

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 11:22 PM
Click here to Send Turr_Phennir a Private Message Find more posts by Turr_Phennir Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Clearly no point here, so closed.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 11:26 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote