KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Project Natal (xbox 36o)

Project Natal (xbox 36o)
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I would too.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2009 10:17 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sappho
Self-Made

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
PS3 is doing the same thing as the Wii with their motion controller with Eye Toy, or Playstation Eye.

How does Project Natal lessen Xbox 360's hardcore value? It's an add-on to the system, 360 still has hardcore developers. It won't change a thing. Just added revenue for MS.

Well from the little games they shown at e3, they added avatars last e3, and they've been having commercials with kung fu panda and lego indiana jones while talking about the "family", it seems like there headed that way.

Playstation seems like there getting motion control but not necassarily for family purposes, unlike the 360.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2009 11:37 PM
Sappho is currently offline Click here to Send Sappho a Private Message Find more posts by Sappho Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

sony already admitted that they essentially just tacked there motion sensor on at the last minute as soon as they saw the wii-mote. so sony's just as guilty as trying to to capitalize on nintendo's success.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2009 11:47 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sappho
Self-Made

Tacking on a motion controller doesnt mean there doing it for family reasons.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2009 11:49 PM
Sappho is currently offline Click here to Send Sappho a Private Message Find more posts by Sappho Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Smasandian
I find it funny when people call it a cheap gimmick.

They said that about the Wii, look how much sales it's doing. So can't really be called a cheap gimmick.

If Project Natal works, and I think it will this is a huge thing for them.

I still think the Wii is a cheap gimmick. I try hard not to base my opinions around popularity or sales. The motion sensor bullcrap for the Wii did very little to enhance gameplay. In most cases it's nothing more than a nuisance and hinderance. There are only very few exceptions in games where i think the Wii has succeeded. Otherwise the games are cheap and pointless. That's just me though.

A full body motion sensor sounds really really cool and i would like to see it work but i just don't see it happening. Maybe MS will succeed where Nintendo failed. The company definitely has the money and they also have the luxury of studying Nintendos' efforts. However, unless their efforts are centered around creating a new way to play and experience games i don't see it succeeding. I think the Natal is nothing more than cashing in on a popular trend in video games right now. I'm sure im wrong but thats just what i think. I have more confidence in waiting for Nintendo to perfect what they started with the Wii.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2009 11:51 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Originally posted by k1Lla441
Tacking on a motion controller doesnt mean there doing it for family reasons.

but that does mean that they only did it because nintendo did it and because nintendo made money doing it, not because they genuinely thought itd make games better or would enhance the experience for gamers. so how does that make them any better?

avatars isnt family related and sony did that first anyway, PS3 has lego indiana jones and lego batman and all that crap as well, so microsoft hasnt done anything family related sony hasnt already done.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2009 11:58 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sorgo XIII
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Peach
Well, considering it's Microsoft's server space that's being used...

And I've never heard anything about Epic wanting to release DLC for free but being made to charge. And Valve...what DLC have they offered? All I know about was the Left 4 Dead maps and survivor mode. Which, unless something changed recently, is free.

Also, say whatever you want about them "being unable to making a working console" or being greedy or whatnot, but the fact stands that Microsoft made a console that has sold very well and has the best games of the generation. When it was discovered the system had problems, and how widespread they were initially, they could have just blown everyone off. Instead, they extended warranties, refunded repair fees charged before the warranty was extended, and redesigned the system multiple times to try and cut down the likelihood of problems popping up. They didn't need to do all of that.

Anyway, on topic, I can't stand motion sensing controls and I highly, highly doubt that Natal will look or work even a fraction as well in reality as it did at E3.

From a business standpoint, that's absurd. A business does not operate similar to a person but acts as a body. They *HAD* to redesign the console to address these issues because:

A) As a corporation, they needed to appeal to their consumers or they lose their income. Several users complained about the "bladed dashboard" software on the 360 so Microsoft began to develop the NGE (Which has had numerous software problems, particularly regarding audio output) If they ignored their consumers, they'd lose business. They do need to do these things as a multi-billion dollar corporation or their operation suffers greatly.

B) Several lawsuits (A few major ones for disc-scratching and the infamous "RRoD") initiated Microsoft to begin upgrading the system hardware. They outfitted the newer models with a spare HDMI port and a more effective heat sink. They did not do this until their company was at stake for losing monetary gain.

C) The 360 is a part of a triumvirate of consoles that compete vigorously. Also, Microsoft happens to be in the middle. With Nintendo already smashing their marketing sales with the Wii, technical problems is primarily unacceptable. If you're losing buyers for a product you've generated and that product has a strong failure rate (A staggering 33% for the RRoD issue ALONE) it is a necessity to upgrade such failures and maintain your marketing position. They have to remain in the middle, push Sony's platform down and try to surpass Wii whilst satisfying their current consumers and trying to impress potential consumers.

Did you think Microsoft was just being generous?

quote:
They didn't need to do all of that.

Oh, they did indeed. Microsoft is a massive business empire and their gaming front is an important and major access point for monetary growth. If they start falling behind (And even in the slightest) it means millions and millions of dollars.

On another note, I do agree with your views on the Natal. I don't think it will function smoothly and these devices are killing the old school controller!

Someone once taught me that the world only makes sense when you force it to.

Last edited by Sorgo XIII on Jun 19th, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2009 11:34 AM
Sorgo XIII is currently offline Click here to Send Sorgo XIII a Private Message Find more posts by Sorgo XIII Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sappho
Self-Made

Originally posted by WO Polaski
but that does mean that they only did it because nintendo did it and because nintendo made money doing it, not because they genuinely thought itd make games better or would enhance the experience for gamers. so how does that make them any better?

avatars isnt family related and sony did that first anyway, PS3 has lego indiana jones and lego batman and all that crap as well, so microsoft hasnt done anything family related sony hasnt already done.

They obviously made the motion controllers to copy nintendo; maybe not for the same reasons, but its obvious that they did copy them, or copy the general idea of it.

The way the 360 has avatars and the way they advertised it makes it obvious that they did it because the success of the wii; then they have commercials with lego indiana jones and kung fu panda, and actually package those two games with the console, all while talking about families during the commercial, then yea it seems like there trying to go with families. Sony has not advertised anything related to families, has not metioned them like microsoft has, i mean have you even seen project natal at e3? in every vid it shows families on the damn game.

You cant deny that microsoft is trying to head in the direction of the wii while sony isnt.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2009 05:56 PM
S_D_J
Bane

Sony hasn't bundled E software with the PS3, nor has marketed the sixaxis as a family experience.

as k1Lla441 says Microsoft has tried hard to get on that Family vibe thing since the Wii practically invented such crowd. Sony has been more coy about it.

It's a huge market, and can't really blame M$ for trying to cash in on it. Being concerned about Natal screwing up (in any degree possible, as lesser as it may be) the hardcore crowd is a genuine concerned. Especially when all facts points toward that direction.

I'm sorry, hardcore pleasing developers might be involved in it, but I find it really stupid (and quite hypocrite) to say "that the biggest obstacle gaming has is the hand-held controller"

In most cases motion controlled games has been prove to hinder enjoyment of the game. a game plays better using buttons and the ocasional (but tightly implemented) motion control.

Natal could work,and looks cool. But it would surely be used to churn more casual shovelware crap than anything else

Here's hoping I'm wrong. no expression

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Jun 19th, 2009 06:16 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sappho
Self-Made

Im hoping with you, i like the 360 as a hardcore console, but damn money is dragging that away from us, slowly. Personally, i think in the future its going to be nintendo and microsoft competing, while sony gets all the money and profit of the hardcore gamers. That is why im getting a ps3. Its sad to say but its true.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2009 02:34 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I understand the rumour now is that a new version of the 360 will launcxh next year with this integrated (though almost certainly existing console owners can just upgrade).

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 20th, 2009 10:15 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sappho
Self-Made

You mean natal? i thought it was just going to be a seperate piece no expression

Old Post Jun 20th, 2009 06:44 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It will be- as I say, existing users can upgrade. But an integrated console release next year is the current word.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 20th, 2009 06:53 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Yahtzee makes an interesting point on Natal:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...3-Hype-Massacre

Old Post Jun 20th, 2009 07:04 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FeelGood
Restricted

Account Restricted

its the same reason everyone hates america. big grin *shrug*

Yes that's the reason. no expression

Anyway this looks pretty cool, how it could work in proper games is the only thing I'm interested in, not hitting bricks and whatever.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2009 07:17 PM
FeelGood is currently offline Click here to Send FeelGood a Private Message Find more posts by FeelGood Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Exile

Originally posted by Ushgarak
It will be- as I say, existing users can upgrade. But an integrated console release next year is the current word.

Give it a faster processor and some better chips under the hood to where it makes the graphics a little sharper, 500 GB Hard Drive, and integrate Natal in the actual console itself I would buy it.

Everything I have heard is that the "new console" just wont be a Slim 360, or a 720 for that matter, just something in between. They(MS) did say they were going to market it like a new console didn't they, make the console "new" enough and ill pick it up for sure.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2009 08:28 PM
Dark Exile is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Exile a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Exile Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOneBumGun

So will you be able to play on GTA and other games with this?

Old Post Sep 16th, 2009 03:33 PM
TheOneBumGun is currently offline Click here to Send TheOneBumGun a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneBumGun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Ex-Microsoft Studio Manager Predicts Failure for Natal

Former Microsoft studio manager Scot Bayless predicts that Project Natal is doomed to failure because Microsoft refused to integrate the motion-sensing device into the Xbox 360.

more...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...r-Natal-UPDATED

well i sure hope it's a success. meaning not only with party games but for hardcore games, as well. natal should be to hardcore games what the wii motion controllers are to party games.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 28th, 2010 04:48 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote