KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Order vs. Anakin

The Order vs. Anakin
Started by: Luminatus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zamp
The Blind Critic

*glum*

*notices small grammatical mistake*

*feels marginally better*

Old Post Jul 9th, 2009 06:37 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

What is it? If I may ask.

Old Post Jul 9th, 2009 06:40 PM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

quote:
I've been making that actual face for longer than you exist.

Translation: I have been making that actual face for longer than you exist.

You changed tenses. Not a biggie.

Old Post Jul 9th, 2009 06:41 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

Fixed.

I love that Edit button, I just want to hug it.

*Hugs Edit button*

Old Post Jul 9th, 2009 06:44 PM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

*slaps edit button for being a traitor*

I was an edit sniper long before you two met!

*cries*

Old Post Jul 9th, 2009 06:46 PM
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

I was a sniper long before you were born.

I miss the days when I actually made sense now and then.

*Hides edit button on the attic for protection*

Old Post Jul 9th, 2009 06:50 PM
chilled monkey

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
Nephthys, maybe you're allergic to sarcasm.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2009 12:14 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

AND PUNS ARE THE HIGHEST!!! eek!

...or vice versa.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2009 02:39 PM
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

I use both.

Yes, I'm that great.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2009 04:20 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Old Post Jul 10th, 2009 04:27 PM
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

Again?

Old Post Jul 10th, 2009 05:17 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Always.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2009 05:23 PM
Luminatus
Restricted

Account Restricted

You know, Anakin is kinda right.
"From my point-of-view, the Jedi are evil."

For one, the Jedi are a cult. They travel the galaxy, snatch up anyone they please and raise them away from any other influences. The kids are indoctrinated and know only the way of the Jedi.

If Obi-Wan in the Phantom Menace is to be believed
""If you would just follow the Code, you would be on the council"

Then anyone who does not conform cannot be a leading member of the Jedi. Thus reform or innovation is impossible.

The code implemented by the Jedi is a third point of how one could se them as evil. The Jedi in many ways deny what it means to be human (in the metaphorical sense). You cannot love, you cannot have attachment, you can not be allowed to "live."

The final nail in the coffin then is the hypocrisy. Yoda and Windu, basically Head Jedi 1 and 2, did not even follow this code. Yoda loved Dooku and could not bring himself to kill his favorite student. Attachment and love. Windu went from '"let's arrest Palpatine" to 'kill him!!" after the Sith Lord killed his fellow Jedi.. So obviously he too was letting his feelings cloud his judgment.

So a flawed, corrupt, brainwashing, hypocritical order. Sounds pretty evil to me.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2009 02:40 AM
Click here to Send Luminatus a Private Message Find more posts by Luminatus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Luminatus
You know, Anakin is kinda right.
"From my point-of-view, the Jedi are evil."

For one, the Jedi are a cult. They travel the galaxy, snatch up anyone they please and raise them away from any other influences. The kids are indoctrinated and know only the way of the Jedi.

If Obi-Wan in the Phantom Menace is to be believed
""If you would just follow the Code, you would be on the council"

Then anyone who does not conform cannot be a leading member of the Jedi. Thus reform or innovation is impossible.

The code implemented by the Jedi is a third point of how one could se them as evil. The Jedi in many ways deny what it means to be human (in the metaphorical sense). You cannot love, you cannot have attachment, you can not be allowed to "live."

The final nail in the coffin then is the hypocrisy. Yoda and Windu, basically Head Jedi 1 and 2, did not even follow this code. Yoda loved Dooku and could not bring himself to kill his favorite student. Attachment and love. Windu went from '"let's arrest Palpatine" to 'kill him!!" after the Sith Lord killed his fellow Jedi.. So obviously he too was letting his feelings cloud his judgment.

So a flawed, corrupt, brainwashing, hypocritical order. Sounds pretty evil to me.
Your perception and interpretation is flawed itself.

The Jedi didn't snatch up children, the parents gave the children up willingly. And in cases like Anakin's, gave them a better life.

Following the Code meant adhering to a principle which appeared to work. Why fix it if ain't broken/obsolete?

Of course the Jedi denied what it means to be human. To be human isn't just to love. It also means to be angry, jealous, resentful, greedy, self-centered, and fearful. Despite his gloomy outlook, Hobbes made a helluva point. Between allowing emotions to run rampant like the Dark Siders who cause death and destruction, and keeping control of your emotions like the Light Siders---it's the lesser of two evils. Though following that path can lead to mistakes which will obviously bite your ass down the road (Yoda with Dooku, Kenobi with Vader, Marek with Palaptine), doing so proves your previous point: they're just mortal sentients who make mistakes!

As for Yoda going to kill Palpatine---you, seeing as how this is your complaint, shouldn't be viewing Mace and Yoda's actions toward Sidious as one of hypocrisy, but rather a moment of lucidity. They had finally recognized the clear and present danger of letting that man live, and breaking away from the Code you yourself despise, tried to do the right thing.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2009 03:15 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Luminatus
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
The Jedi didn't snatch up children, the parents gave the children up willingly. And in cases like Anakin's, gave them a better life.

Better materialistically perhaps. But he was still a slave in a way.

quote:
Following the Code meant adhering to a principle which appeared to work. Why fix it if ain't broken/obsolete?

...the entire PT shows why it WAS broken and obsolete.
Yoda himself admits it in the ROTS novel.

quote:

Of course the Jedi denied what it means to be human. To be human isn't just to love. It also means to be angry, jealous, resentful, greedy, self-centered, and fearful. Despite his gloomy outlook, Hobbes made a helluva point. Between allowing emotions to run rampant like the Dark Siders who cause death and destruction, and keeping control of your emotions like the Light Siders---it's the lesser of two evils. Though following that path can lead to mistakes which will obviously bite your ass down the road (Yoda with Dooku, Kenobi with Vader, Marek with Palaptine), doing so proves your previous point: they're just mortal sentients who make mistakes!

The dark side can be used for good purposes as well. It doesn't have to only be about death and destruction.

quote:
As for Yoda going to kill Palpatine---you, seeing as how this is your complaint, shouldn't be viewing Mace and Yoda's actions toward Sidious as one of hypocrisy, but rather a moment of lucidity. They had finally recognized the clear and present danger of letting that man live, and breaking away from the Code you yourself despise, tried to do the right thing.

I was talking about Windu. And Mace is pretty much responsible for the massacre of the Jedi. He enabled Palpatine to have justification for the Purge.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2009 04:08 AM
Click here to Send Luminatus a Private Message Find more posts by Luminatus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Better materialistically perhaps. But he was still a slave in a way.
In such a sense, we're all slaves to something. May as well be the Jedi.

...the entire PT shows why it WAS broken and obsolete.
Yoda himself admits it in the ROTS novel.
Hence my italicizing the word "appeared." It took a catastrophe for them to see it, but up until then, it wasn't as if they were purposefully f*cking themselves and others over, as your initial post implied.

The dark side can be used for good purposes as well. It doesn't have to only be about death and destruction.
Yes it can. But the mytos' history has shown that it is far more likely to cause harm. Again, lesser of two evils.

I was talking about Windu. And Mace is pretty much responsible for the massacre of the Jedi. He enabled Palpatine to have justification for the Purge.
What would you have done? If the Chosen One, whom I don't trust due to his prolonged time spent with Palpatine, came up to me telling me that the guy was responsible for the greatest war the galaxy's ever known... I wouldn't be off playing detective trying to search for hard evidence while the Dark Lord of the Sith (who had just admitted to Anakin about his identity, so his motives for doing such must be analyzed) is allowed more free rein.

No. You crispy-critter the motherf*cker.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2009 04:32 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Luminatus
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
In such a sense, we're all slaves to something. May as well be the Jedi.

At least I don't have anyone telling me not to feel here. Telling me to accept those I love will die and I just have to deal with it. Yoda did as much to Anakin.

quote:
Hence my italicizing the word "appeared." It took a catastrophe for them to see it, but up until then, it wasn't as if they were purposefully f*cking themselves and others over, as your initial post implied.

Ignorance of your own incompetence is not an excuse. They refused any and all change so they reaped what they sewed.

quote:
Yes it can. But the mytos' history has shown that it is far more likely to cause harm. Again, lesser of two evils.

Fair enough.

quote:
What would you have done? If the Chosen One, whom I don't trust due to his prolonged time spent with Palpatine, came up to me telling me that the guy was responsible for the greatest war the galaxy's ever known... I wouldn't be off playing detective trying to search for hard evidence while the Dark Lord of the Sith (who had just admitted to Anakin about his identity, so his motives for doing such must be analyzed) is allowed more free rein.

No. You crispy-critter the motherf*cker.

Except he wasn't going to do that. He switched his mind after the battle. He let his emotions cloud his judgment ie. he was a hypocrite.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2009 07:33 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

what point are you trying to make here luminatus? the sith possess all of the negative traits of the jedi and more. in the end theyre worse because aside from their self destructive personality they intentionally bring harm onto others knowing that what they do is harmful to others. so why even bring it up?

quote:
Except he wasn't going to do that. He switched his mind after the battle. He let his emotions cloud his judgment ie. he was a hypocrite.

hypocritical? how so? if you duel someone with a weapon that can slice someone in two and youre aiming at vital points which mace did do multiple times in the fight that means youre fighting to kill. he never "changed his mind" as soon as soon as sideous whipped out his lightsaber and they started dueleing mace was already ready to kill him. thats like a saying a cop is a hypocrite because he busts in to a room with the intent to arrest someone and he ends up killing the guy in a shoot-out. erm

Old Post Jul 11th, 2009 07:54 AM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Luminatus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Except Palpatine was unarmed and then got his face melted. It's no different than Anakin beheading Dooku. Both killed (or in Windus' case, planned to kill) a defenseless person.

I'm pretty sure a cop would be in some shit if after the shootout, he had the fugitive on the ground and he just put one in the guy's head.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2009 10:50 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Facepalm.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2009 12:26 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote