KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Discrepancies in Star Trek Science

Discrepancies in Star Trek Science
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Discrepancies in Star Trek morality are just as amusing. Moral Relativism is being crammed down everyone's throats! eek!

irony?

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 04:53 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Discrepancies in Star Trek morality are just as amusing. Moral Relativism is being crammed down everyone's throats! eek!

irony?

Sounds like a thread. If there were more people who knew about Star Trek, these could be heavily discussed threads.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 11:19 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by dadudemon
Sounds like a thread. If there were more people who knew about Star Trek, these could be heavily discussed threads.

hey. not all of us know advanced math. morality and arrogance on the other hand, that's right up our alley...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 11:20 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by -Pr-
hey. not all of us know advanced math. morality and arrogance on the other hand, that's right up our alley...

Damn straight. There's a reason they call us nerds. yes

Old Post Aug 5th, 2009 12:48 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by dadudemon
Damn straight. There's a reason they call us nerds. yes

i can never understand which is the good one, nerds or geeks?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 07:21 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by -Pr-
i can never understand which is the good one, nerds or geeks?

Nerds are superior.

One can be captain of the football team (american football or futbol, same idea), and still be a nerd. However, it is impossible for that type of person to be a geek while also being a nerd as they are adept in the social bit of things, possess a formidable physique, and can actually land a girlfriend...meaning, they are not geeks.

However, to an outsider, a geek is that small sniveling dude who is weird, has weird obsessions, and doesn't interact with people very well.

The average person intends insult when they call someone a nerd, but it is really a compliment, meaning that the person is smart or intelligent.

I cannot think of any reason why someone would feel insulted by being called a nerd. Nerds are awesome.

A geek, however, is similar to a nerd, but they do not require a special requirement of intellect like nerds do. You can be a geek and have tons of comic books and action figures...and even know a ton about comics, but you could still be average in intelligence or something else. This makes you a geek.

If you are smart AND obsessed with comics, you are more likely to be a nerd.

Nerds also posses a witty sense of humor: their jokes are lost on lesser minds, quite often.

To call an intelligent person a "geek" is a misnomer, imo. However, some people think calling someone a geek for being smart is okay. It's not. They are misusing the term, imo. A smart Geek is a nerd.

Think of it this way: not all nerds are geeks. Not all geeks are nerds. One can be a geek while also being a nerd...which is usually the case. However, one can be a geek but not also be smart to qualify as a nerd.

However, and this is a big however, some hold that there is no difference. They assume that the two words are interchangeable. They are not. Now, go my friend. SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES! SMACK DOWN THE IGNORANCE!

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 08:37 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Morality? That is a worship word; you will not speak it. Just give me tech and plot holes to rip.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 12:04 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Also: The river at tenagra. (sp?)

A laughably bad episode, it featured Worf giving readouts of ambiant Proton and Electron densities while in a shuttle craft. Is there any way in which this might be relevant? I couldn't think of one.

Technobabble should be so far ahead of the viewer (and made of gibberish) that idiocy detectors can't make heads or tails of it.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 12:46 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Also: The river at tenagra. (sp?)

A laughably bad episode, it featured Worf giving readouts of ambiant Proton and Electron densities while in a shuttle craft. Is there any way in which this might be relevant? I couldn't think of one.

Technobabble should be so far ahead of the viewer (and made of gibberish) that idiocy detectors can't make heads or tails of it.

The only the the average person knows about electrons and protons is that their small.

How about Threshold!

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 01:09 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I am watching the second season and it is the episode about the Clone humans that steal the DNA from some enterprise peeps.

The episode is completely stupid. They appeal to a catch phrase that was something like "genetic fade" or "genetic degradation" which indicated that the copies of copies would eventually have so many mistakes as to kill them.

PROBLEMS!!!!

That's what happens already: when our cells replicate, there are minor flaws that are sometimes good and sometimes bad. When we reproduce, the same thing occurs.

They also cried about "incest" being bad because of obvious reasons. There were 2 girls and 3 men that survived. That can easily be overcome, as well: just clone everyone and everyone makes babies with each other. Those that got the bad genetic combos would die. Those that didn't would survive. The combinations would be unique. In very few generations, the genetic diversity would increase enough to remedy any problems that incestuousness breeding would create.

Then there's the problem of the entire problem: there is no problem.

All they had to do was capture and preserve the original's DNA. They could take samples over and over, if they needed, as it would take ages to deplete. They could make hundreds to hundreds of thousands of first generation copies and then preserve those. Then the genetic decay that they spoke of would be null and void. With such mature technology, they could create biological immorality quite easily, as well. The entire episode and the problems in the episode are dumb.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Mariposa_colony

Edit - Also, and this is hilarious...there is some camel toe from Counselor Deanna Troi. I am watching this on netflix and the "oops" occurs at 37:57. Enjoy, pervs.

Last edited by dadudemon on Mar 26th, 2012 at 03:46 AM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2012 03:43 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Masterpiece Society?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 26th, 2012 04:17 AM
dadudemon

You're probably correct. I did not look it up.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2012 07:44 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I know this isn't a discrepancy but the thought struck me the other night:

What type of footwear does the crew wear?
I can't seem to recall an episode where you saw what Worf or Picard wore on their feet....I mean they never really changed uniforms for away-teams, much less put on hiking boots...

Old Post Apr 10th, 2012 05:16 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I know this isn't a discrepancy but the thought struck me the other night:

What type of footwear does the crew wear?
I can't seem to recall an episode where you saw what Worf or Picard wore on their feet....I mean they never really changed uniforms for away-teams, much less put on hiking boots...

they wore leather boots; not the hardiest of footwear to be sure.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 11th, 2012 05:42 AM
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Other, worse, examples. Ships travel at FTL speeds but they never tell us how they're getting around either relativity or causality. Second impulse engines seem to be either reactionless or hyper-efficient which really should make them weapons of mass destruction on a scale we can scarcely imagine.

The Alcubierre drive hypothesis gives a pretty decent explanation of how a warp drive should work(w/o deviating in any significant manner from the fictional description) .

Too bad though , that according to the equations of the hypothesis , the energy requirement for transporting a spaceship across a MW sized galaxy is the negative equivalent of 10^64 kg , which is around 11 orders of magnitude(i.e 100 billion times) greater than the mass of the observable universe .

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 05:20 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Every time a ship takes a beating, control consoles seem to explode in peoples' faces. Doesn't this imply that this oh, so futuristic society still has issue with power surges and/or has fuel lines running through all their shit like really, really old submarine designs? Also, considering how much energy nuclear annihilation releases, shouldn't all warp core breaches and photon torpedo impacts be visible and brighter than supernovas across the entire galaxy and beyond?

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Nov 1st, 2012 07:27 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Darth Jello
Every time a ship takes a beating, control consoles seem to explode in peoples' faces. Doesn't this imply that this oh, so futuristic society still has issue with power surges and/or has fuel lines running through all their shit like really, really old submarine designs? Also, considering how much energy nuclear annihilation releases, shouldn't all warp core breaches and photon torpedo impacts be visible and brighter than supernovas across the entire galaxy and beyond?
According to the ST:TNG Technical Manual (or at least, what I can make of it), the Enterprise's "fuel lines" are conduits for plasma (generated by the warp core), which means, superhot ionized gas should've been spraying in everyone's faces. Oh, for want of a futuretech circuit breaker.

Also, while matter/antimatter annihilation is intense, quantity is still a factor. To be visible across the universe, I imagine you'd have to be on the same energetic order as other events visible across the universe: supernovas and gamma-ray bursts. While pound-for-pound not as effecient as m/am annhiliation, the sheer quantity of destruction in these events (especially GRBs, often said to be the most powerful explosions ever, second only to the Big Bang) vastly outdoes anything the Enterprise could output, which seems to be in the low petawatt range -- 10e15 watts -- as opposed to, say, a supernova: 10e44 watts.

Photon torpedoes? Standard antimatter payload is 1.5 kilograms: that's 3 kilograms of matter and antimatter annihilated. A really big boom, to be sure (about 60-70 megatons, iirc), but hardly on par with supernovas or hypernovas (as GRBs are sometimes called).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Nov 2nd, 2012 at 06:40 PM

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2012 06:36 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote