KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » TMNT Smash-Up!

TMNT Smash-Up!
Started by: Scythe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Demonic Phoenix

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Scythe
The power ups are: Shurikens (these can be collected as many as you can get), origami shaped mines (3x at time), bombs (3x at time) and ninja magic. My favorite are the tiger claw scratches that appear on screen and damage enemies when they're touched.

So the oral flame thrower and the lightning shield fall under ninja magic?

The tiger claw scratches, are they randomly assorted or do they have a fixed pattern on screen?

The aura is distracting, yes, but it serves as a visual aid to see where your HP is at. If the aura is strong, you're at full HP, if it's dim, then you're about to die. You can also customize it to whatever color you may want on a RGB scale. Except black and white, at least I think. I usually go with whatever color my turtle matches. If I'm playing as Mikey, I make it orange and so on.

The HP factor does give it more usefulness. I thought it's only purpose was to serve as a distinction to help players identify their character.
It's probably one of those things you find annoying at first, but get used to eventually.

On a RGB scale? Pretty neat, considering that in most games, color changes are usually limited to pre-sets.

A black aura would be hard to see on-screen. I see no reason why they wouldn't let us choose white though.

Casey and April can be best described as Kirby from Brawl. They both have a similar attack that reminds me of Kirby's Up+B attack. Casey has a hammer attack like Kirby's.

Casey using a hammer? Neat. April seems like a character that uses pokes and such.

Splinter is pretty alright, he's one of those, stay in one place and attack from the sides and above him, very stationary, and strong.

Sounds like he could be used as an effective turtle. Though I doubt turtling will help much in this game.

Shredder is a powerhouse, but a little slow on his attacks.

Naturally. If he was a powerhouse and was fast to boot, he'd be overpowered. He might be like Nightmare from the SC series, quite slow & very strong. Though setting up his more powerful moves could be hard given how easy it is for fighters to get around in this game.

Raph is a lot like Fox from Brawl, only a bit slower than him. He lasts forever in the air while he's jumping, not quite my style, but some people love his Jigglypuff-like air.

It'd be easy for him to escape then. Do some players decide to just stay away and let the others duke it out?

He also has that vertical air stab attack of his. It seems pretty decent, though players would have to be careful with that attack in stages like that New York Rooftop.

Mikey is my favorite, he's quite ranged and fast, not to mention all around fun to pay with.

That spinning bird kick of his is lulzy. Indeed the most popular turtle would be the most fun to play with for many players.

Leo is a combo machine, easy to do combos and very good at keeping enemies away from him. He tosses his katanas like a yo-yo and they come back to him... Very annoying move.

Combo masters can also be annoying to face, they can keep you tied up for quite some time.

Like a yo-yo (I assume you mean boomerang stick out tongue)? That's interesting. He'd be vulnerable to attack during this move though right?

Don is pretty fun, he's not as full on long-range as I thought, but he's a master at stun attacks. Think of stun attacks as moves that cause you to get dizzy and you have to push the d-pad left and right.

If he's a master of stun attacks, he'd be a beast if this were a 1 on 1 fighter game. Just to be curious, is there a 1 on 1 mode?

Nightwatcher is pretty cool, cuz his weapon is a chain with a mace and spear-tip (not sure what they're called). Even though he's a Raph clone, he has entirely different movesets and range.

Manriki. Nightwatcher would be, in my eyes, more powerful, slower, and a better ranged version of Raphael. It's pretty reasonable that they'd give him a different move-set. He has a different weapon, and even though he's still agile, that armor looks heavy.

I didn'y play as a Karai, but from what people have used against me, she's like a female slightly faster Shredder.

Sounds about right. She'd be saddled with lower power and perhaps lesser range.

The Foot Soldier is neat, sorta like Sheik at times and very beginner-friendly.

Looks like this is the character I'll be picking to whip the computer's ***

The Krang robot is a big slow powerhouse. He can devestate with combos and machine gun fire. Fun to play with.

Does this character serve as a boss character? He sounds like one.

I wonder why they didn't include the 4 antagonists and Max Winters of the 07 movie.

The Raging Ninja Rabid is okay, kinda lame, but he's one of those characters you can gloat about if he wins a huge four-way with good players.

A Saikyo-esque character? Awesome!

My favorite stage is the underground one with the Technodrome, it's great!

I'll look for a video with that stage.

Also, what are the basic defensive options in this game? I know there is a basic block, but is there a parry or a counter attack? What about guard breaks or guard crushes?

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Oct 1st, 2009 06:59 AM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
So the oral flame thrower and the lightning shield fall under ninja magic?

There’s a wind aura that, although you still sustain damage when hit, deals damage to opponents. The flame thrower works like the fire flower in SSBB, only it’s used once and lasts about two seconds. The lightning aura is cool, does the same as the wind one.

The tiger claw scratches, are they randomly assorted or do they have a fixed pattern on screen?

They’re randomly inserted on the stage, and only damage opponents, it’s pretty cool. There’s also an option you can do. If you push a button, I think “L” on a Gamecube controller, you can maneuver a little target which you can use to shoot at obstacles on the stage to cause a reaction. Like in one stage, you go into targeting mode, target a water tank, shoot at it and it’ll blow up, causing water to wash everyone down to the lower part of the stage. You can also use the targeting mode to target far away enemies and use the items much more precisely.

On a RGB scale? Pretty neat, considering that in most games, color changes are usually limited to pre-sets.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool.

A black aura would be hard to see on-screen. I see no reason why they wouldn't let us choose white though.

I don’t think there is a black aura, but I just remembered there are white auras, and they’re used to designate CPUs.

Casey using a hammer? Neat. April seems like a character that uses pokes and such.

I think it’s more of a golf club. Either that ore a really big hockey stick, I don’t remember at the moment.

Naturally. If he was a powerhouse and was fast to boot, he'd be overpowered. He might be like Nightmare from the SC series, quite slow & very strong. Though setting up his more powerful moves could be hard given how easy it is for fighters to get around in this game.

Trust me, he works, cuz he’s not that slow and has swift ninja moves as well.

It'd be easy for him to escape then. Do some players decide to just stay away and let the others duke it out? He also has that vertical air stab attack of his. It seems pretty decent, though players would have to be careful with that attack in stages like that New York Rooftop.

He’s very aggro and easy to get in and out of struggles. His Up+B attack gives him quite a bit amount of air. Most players I’ve faced have been very fierce with him.

Like a yo-yo (I assume you mean boomerang stick out tongue)? That's interesting. He'd be vulnerable to attack during this move though right?

No, like a yo-yo, because he flings it, and it stays suspended in mid-air spinning, then returns back to him. Also, while you do that move it either happens so fast, because I’ve never been left open for attack after using it, or he can still fight while it’s gone with his other katana. I used Leo the least, so I’ll have to play as him again.

If he's a master of stun attacks, he'd be a beast if this were a 1 on 1 fighter game. Just to be curious, is there a 1 on 1 mode?

Donny is good for 1 on 1s and yes, there’s a free battle option just like SSBB where up to four people or CPUs can choose a stage and fight. The stage selection is cool too because every player, not CPUs, pick a stage and it all goes by which stage has the most votes, or the stage is chosen randomly with whatever players have selected. There’s also a story mode that you need to beat four times to unlock Shredder, Krang, Foot Soldier and Nightwatcher.

Manriki. Nightwatcher would be, in my eyes, more powerful, slower, and a better ranged version of Raphael. It's pretty reasonable that they'd give him a different move-set. He has a different weapon, and even though he's still agile, that armor looks heavy.

I’m not sure, I haven’t had much exposure with him, but he didn’t seem too slow or sluggish.

Does this character serve as a boss character? He sounds like one.

Not at all, he’s a playable character and part of the arcade mode match-ups, Shredder and two Foot Soldiers at once are the game’s final boss.

Also, what are the basic defensive options in this game? I know there is a basic block, but is there a parry or a counter attack? What about guard breaks or guard crushes?

The defenses are exactly like how they are on SSBB. Block, and the Down+Block evade as well as the mid-air evade. You can also roll around fighters like in SSBB.

The cutscenes in this game are great too, because they're not CG rendered at all, they're black and white 2D comic strip style artwork that moves around. Very similar to how TMNT first started out in the comics way back when.

Last edited by Scythe on Oct 1st, 2009 at 07:57 AM

Old Post Oct 1st, 2009 07:49 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

Here are the codes given out by Amazon.com and a few dept. stores that were premoting this game with its preorder. Some copies also came with a limited edition comic book and the codes while others for some reason didn't, so I thought I'd share them with you guys.

To unlock Shredder and his alternate costume [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Cyber shredder, at the bonus content menu input: Up, Down, Right, Up, Down, Right, Left, Up, Right, Down

To unlock Ninja Rabbid and the Technodrome Stage, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: at the bonus content menu input: Up, Up, Down, Down, Down, Right, Up, Left, Right, Left

I have no idea how to obtain those two unlocks normally in the game, but the promo insert I have says there is no way.

Also, there's one more character to add to the roster, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Fugitoid. You get him by beating all 51 challenges.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2009 08:05 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote