KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Nintendo DSi LL

Nintendo DSi LL
Started by: S_D_J

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

I have tiny hands and tiny, dexterous fingers (hence my stated preference for small scale Fenders, Eastwoods, Gibsons, and Danelectros with tiny necks in the music forum) and even I find things like the current DS and the GBA SP pretty uncomfortable, especially due to the sqaure edges around the shoulder buttons. I think the Game Boy Micro is completely unplayable.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2009 05:45 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Wishlist for Next-gen DS
(or whatever the name of the next portable console is from Nintendo):

1. Replace D-pad with analog

2. Media playback (MP3, AVI, MPEG, WMV)

3. Overall weight preferably less than 200g

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 02:17 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Analogue is a pain on a handheld- I am not convinced of its value. A digital d-pad is better for DS-style platformers anyway, and adding an analogue on top of that is inefficient.

Personally I would trade high-quality media playback for, say, a better battery life (not that those are exactly opposed concepts, I know). Battery life has often been the holy grail for handhelds. It was one of the original Game Boy's biggest successes.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 6th, 2009 at 03:12 PM

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 02:44 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I haven't really found the battery life lacking on the DSi. Certainly kept me occupied while sitting in an airport for hours and hours.

Analog on a handheld is a terrible idea. Hasn't the PSP already proven that it doesn't work well?

Anyway, a bigger handheld is the last thing I need. I'll stick with my DSi.

(even though that reddish system is an awesome color)

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 03:07 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

I think the analog stick on the PSP works fine. Dissidia plays very well.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 03:16 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

After some time, the D-pad on the DS strains my thumb, something I don't experience when playing the PSP (when using the analog).

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Nov 5th, 2009 at 04:21 PM

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 04:19 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The PSP analogue stick has received a fair amount of criticism. It's also prone to breakage. I honestly don't think they are a great idea with handhelds. A digital controller is important.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 05:00 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

the PSP's analog rub is actually quite good. I never had problems with it, and it is pretty responsive...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Peach
Analog on a handheld is a terrible idea. Hasn't the PSP already proven that it doesn't work well?

the only criticism I ever heard is the lack of a second analog rub

Nintendo D-pads have always been the best one, but it does strains the thumb after heavy usage, the ability to move in 8 directions makes the analog much perfect for it.... though most DS games I played barely use the d-pad, it's always the stylus, that's why the idea of a bigger screen it's quite appealing to me smile

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Last edited by S_D_J on Nov 5th, 2009 at 06:21 PM

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 06:19 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Originally posted by S_D_J

thumb up
That's part of my wishlist for the next PSP.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 10:03 AM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by S_D_J
the PSP's analog rub is actually quite good. I never had problems with it, and it is pretty responsive...

Nintendo D-pads have always been the best one, but it does strains the thumb after heavy usage, the ability to move in 8 directions makes the analog much perfect for it.... though most DS games I played barely use the d-pad, it's always the stylus, that's why the idea of a bigger screen it's quite appealing to me smile

I feel like the thumb strain comes from the small size and a lack of thumb support at the joint. The problem could be easily solved with a pair of extending flaps from the bottom corners. I agree with Ushgarak in regards to battery life. The only bells and whistles I want is the second port to come back. I don't own the DSi, just the DS lite so I don't have an opinion on the camera or DSiware.
With the PSP I feel like there's the same problem. Lack of joint support for thumbs but for some reason I only feel it on my left hand side. I just hope they never bring back that rotating crap that the Wonderswan did.

And I depending on the game, I do prefer Nintendo's D-Pad over other method's of control and I don't want it to come to fullfill the same purpose on handhelds that it did on the two previous consoles where it just felt like a something superfluous you never use, like a wisdom tooth on your controller.

I think the main debate comes down to convenience of carry vs. convenience of use and carry has been consistantly winning out over the last several years.

Last edited by Darth Jello on Nov 6th, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 10:40 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

So, seven months after this DSi LL comes out, there's gonna be another Nintendo handheld??

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 11:01 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Maybe. They had a true successor to the DS in development but canned it. Why bother? Remade versions are chaper to develop and apparently sell just as much.

They won't move on until sales start to seriously drop (still no sign of that) or serious competition comes (PSP hasn't quite managed that yet).

I wouldn't mind, except they have done nothing useful with the features of the DSi yet.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 03:13 PM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Well they found a use for the color lake placid blue other than painting old cars and really cool guitars

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 04:31 PM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Seems like Nintendo is turning to be the Apple of the gaming industry.

"It really doesn't pay to be an early adopter anymore does it? Not as bad as Sega's 32X / Saturn screw up, but it does come close. As far as the hefty price tag, Nintendo should take note of PSP go sales. Never thought i'd see the day of handhelds being more expensive than consles.

And with this thing coming out so soon after the holiday season, my heart goes out to all you parents out there who will have to deal with the kids screaming their need for a DSi XL to replace the suddenly unhip DSi you just gave them.

Nintendo...you sly devil you...."

---< buckybuckster

The technology contained within the DSi's shell is far too archaic to warrant the astronomical price tag. VGA camera? LAWL.

The best DS is the Lite. While it is uncomfortably small for my hands, the screen is perfectly bright, unlike the original.DS Phat, and the console still retains its GBA slot functionality.

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Nov 7th, 2009 at 04:44 AM

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 04:37 AM
Scythe
The Goat

How much are these DSi LL's gonna go up for?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 05:14 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

MSRP is $220 (134 euros) in Japan

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 05:17 AM
Scythe
The Goat

Oh shi-!

That's like: "What do you want for xmas Timmy, a DSi or a PS3/360?"

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 05:18 AM