KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Storylines/clitches you love/hate in video games

Storylines/clitches you love/hate in video games
Started by: Phanteros

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Gender: Male
Location:

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Peach
Lack of armor did not originate in JRPGs and pre-dates video games entirely, for the most part...go look at some old Dungeons and Dragons books.



i didnt say it originated in Japan, but it has been the norm in the most prominent console rpg series since time began. The japanese developers have adopted the no armor look - wherever it may have originated - and now we have girls in mini skirts with pink hair and weapons 80 metres tall.

Or a white haired lady boy with a gunsword
blonde haired lady boy with HUGE planet killing sword
Girl with chain sword thing
Guy with chest out trench coat who punches steel (or w/e ) robots
All fighting for there life, all with no visable armor, but with waistcoates with the buttons undone.... cliche cliche cliche.


__________________

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 02:59 AM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Gender: Male
Location: Sanctum of Innocence

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Juk3n
i didnt say it originated in Japan, but it has been the norm in the most prominent console rpg series since time began. The japanese developers have adopted the no armor look - wherever it may have originated - and now we have girls in mini skirts with pink hair and weapons 80 metres tall.

Or a white haired lady boy with a gunsword
blonde haired lady boy with HUGE planet killing sword
Girl with chain sword thing
Guy with chest out trench coat who punches steel (or w/e ) robots
All fighting for there life, all with no visable armor, but with waistcoates with the buttons undone.... cliche cliche cliche.


Japanese games(especially JRPGs) tend to have this sickening fascination with shallow aesthetics.


__________________
And from the ashes he rose, like a black cloud. The Sin of one became the Sin of many.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 03:04 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Hall of Origin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Juk3n
i didnt say it originated in Japan, but it has been the norm in the most prominent console rpg series since time began. The japanese developers have adopted the no armor look - wherever it may have originated - and now we have girls in mini skirts with pink hair and weapons 80 metres tall.

Or a white haired lady boy with a gunsword
blonde haired lady boy with HUGE planet killing sword
Girl with chain sword thing
Guy with chest out trench coat who punches steel (or w/e ) robots
All fighting for there life, all with no visable armor, but with waistcoates with the buttons undone.... cliche cliche cliche.

Not all the time though.

Samus Aran of Metroid is heavy armored, and the main character of Demon's Souls is fully clad in knight armor.


__________________


"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 03:11 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

Gender: Male
Location: Australia

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Love Sci Fi setting, but preferably one that isn't cheesy but is at least realistic and has advanced-but-not-cheesy tech (like Mass Effect).

I like fantasy settings, although they can get generic/repetitive.

I love modern RPG settings when they're done right, those are unusual and yet the modern world has tons of content.
this, and also a superhero setting big grin


__________________

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 05:48 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Gender: Male
Location:

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Not all the time though.

Samus Aran of Metroid is heavy armored, and the main character of Demon's Souls is fully clad in knight armor.


I was referring to the prominent linear JRPG'S, Tales/FF mainly.


__________________

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 11:22 AM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin_Volvagia
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: United States

Like: Main badguy having a mutant second/third form, explosive barrels, optional collect-a-thons, bullet-time mode, final boss is a god, double jump

Hate: Girly-boys, little girls with annoying voices, ridiculous PIS moments, Health regeneration, someone coming back from the dead with no reason or PIS reason (Dracula is an exception), easy-to-beat final bosses, missions where you gotta protect weaklings/idiots, giant boobs


__________________

sig by ScreamPaste

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 01:58 PM
Sin_Volvagia is currently offline Click here to Send Sin_Volvagia a Private Message Find more posts by Sin_Volvagia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Hall of Origin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sin_Volvagia
Like: Main badguy having a mutant second/third form, explosive barrels, optional collect-a-thons, bullet-time mode, final boss is a god, double jump

Hate: Girly-boys, little girls with annoying voices, ridiculous PIS moments, Health regeneration, someone coming back from the dead with no reason or PIS reason (Dracula is an exception), easy-to-beat final bosses, missions where you gotta protect weaklings/idiots, giant boobs

WTF man? You hate giant bewbz? Are you ghey or wut?

I luv bewbz. I likes Soul Calibur 4 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 groping Ayane's bewbz is the best in Sigma 2


__________________


"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 06:13 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Gender: Male
Location: The spire of the shadows

Hate: Super soldiers especially in FPS


__________________
fear the shade Knight

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 06:42 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Gender: Male
Location: The spire of the shadows

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Hate: Anti-heroism, man vs demons, abnormally large weaponry (swords, lances, hammers).
you realize most medieval weapons are considerably large? I thought you like snake?


__________________
fear the shade Knight

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 06:44 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Gender: Male
Location: Denver Metro, CO

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Darth, Might and Magic predates Faxanadu. Just saying.
Never played it. Did the plot revolve around alien invasion?


__________________
Land of the free, home of the brave...
Do you think we will ever be saved?
In this land of dreams find myself sober...
Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 08:31 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

Gender: Male
Location: United States

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Phanteros
you realize most medieval weapons are considerably large? I thought you like snake?


You misunderstand. Abnormally large weaponry are things like Cloud's sword, or Sephiroth's sword.

And what snake? I don't know of any characters named snake I like.


__________________

All hail Scythe, King of the Sigs.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 09:24 PM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin_Volvagia
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: United States

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
WTF man? You hate giant bewbz? Are you ghey or wut?

I luv bewbz. I likes Soul Calibur 4 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 groping Ayane's bewbz is the best in Sigma 2


I should've said too many characters with giant boobs. I don't mind Rachel or SC1 Ivy having it but if we're giving everyone that, it's ridiculous. Lady's breasts were fine; no need to give her breast enhancements. Ivy's **** were big enough in the beginning and now they're not realistic (same with Taki).

Say what you want but I don't jack off to imaginary characters and I don't like fake **** in real life.

And I agree about Ayane.


__________________

sig by ScreamPaste

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 10:55 PM
Sin_Volvagia is currently offline Click here to Send Sin_Volvagia a Private Message Find more posts by Sin_Volvagia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Gender: Male
Location: Sanctum of Innocence

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Never played it. Did the plot revolve around alien invasion?


Not exactly(not the first game, at least). It starts out in a seemingly typical medieval fantasy setting with monsters, wizards, etc., but then you find a crashed spaceship. More sci-fi elements become unveiled as you go.


__________________
And from the ashes he rose, like a black cloud. The Sin of one became the Sin of many.

Last edited by ArtificialGlory on Feb 18th, 2010 at 01:23 AM

Old Post Feb 18th, 2010 01:12 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: New York

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Not really, no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clich%C3%A9


I was making fun of the title, but thanks


__________________

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Feb 18th, 2010 04:27 AM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Bacta Tank.

I don't like events in games that require you to play them 50+ times to beat them...and you only beat them because of luck, not skill.

Example: Final Boss in Mech Assault 2. No matter how many times I go back and try to beat the final boss, it takes tons of tries.




I love stories that keep you interested in playing, regardless of graphics.

Example: KOTOR.






I hate games with stupid plots that are retardedly unrealistic in a setting that TRIES to be realistic.

Example: MW2.



I love games that have beautiful art/landscapes/environments.

Example: Fable 2.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
WTF man? You hate giant bewbz? Are you ghey or wut?

I luv bewbz. I likes Soul Calibur 4 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 groping Ayane's bewbz is the best in Sigma 2


lol


My thoughts exactly.


__________________

Old Post Feb 18th, 2010 04:58 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Pittsburgh

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Jello
This is going waaaay back to before medieval RPGs having a scifi element (and that becoming a cliche) but I like the storyline in Faxanadu and how it kind of mirrors the X-Files. Plus it's like, the first medieval/Teutonic RPG with a plot that ultimately turns out to be alien invasion.

For those who haven't played this underrated game, the plot (which is a side story to the Xanadu/Dragon Slayer series) starts with you as an elf returning to your home town, the elf capital at the bottom of the world tree. The whole place has gone to hell as the water stops flowing and monsters attack everything. The setting seems like a simple war between elves and dwarves since everyone calls the monsters "dwarves". About halfway through the game, you find out that in actuality, the chaos was started by a meteorite that hit the world tree and contained an alien creature called the Evil One who started spreading a poison made from the dissolved meteorite that caused elves and the world tree to die while mutating the dwarves into monsters and putting them under his mental control. The game then turns its focus to stopping the spread of the poison, getting the Dragon Slayer sword from the Dwarf King whose like, the last sane dwarf left and then killing the alien to stop a full scale invasion.



Holy shit, when is this movie or video game going to be made again anew?


__________________
"If you tell the truth, you never have to remember anything" -Twain
(sig by Scythe)

Old Post Feb 18th, 2010 05:48 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Gender: Male
Location: Denver Metro, CO

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Holy shit, when is this movie or video game going to be made again anew?
If you have an NES, pick it up used for 5 bucks. I also think it would be worth petitioning Falcom to release it on the virtual console and maybe do a remake for wiiware. It was released about 8 years before but again, the plot is weirdly similar to the "truth" in the X-Files.

One interesting thing I forgot to mention that's really cool is the way the shape of the dwarves progresses. For the first two sections of the game, they look like monsters, animals, and bizarre creatures with the occasional unaltered dwarf fighting with bayonettes and shields. Closer to the end, the enemies start looking more and more like aliens, including one that looks like a xenomorph from aliens with a sword and shield and one that looks like a grey alien wearing plate armor and swinging a mace around.

(please log in to view the image)

(please log in to view the image)


The graphics are awesome too, using really dull, emotive color schemes abd cool (for 8-bit) fog and smoke effects that cover the whole screen.

The music is incredible too.


__________________
Land of the free, home of the brave...
Do you think we will ever be saved?
In this land of dreams find myself sober...
Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Last edited by Darth Jello on Feb 18th, 2010 at 06:32 PM

Old Post Feb 18th, 2010 06:20 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unassuming Hero
Restricted

Gender:
Location:

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
I love stories that keep you interested in playing, regardless of graphics.

Example: KOTOR.


But not a great one [example].

Old Post Feb 18th, 2010 06:40 PM
Unassuming Hero is currently offline Click here to Send Unassuming Hero a Private Message Find more posts by Unassuming Hero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Gender: Male
Location: Sanctum of Innocence

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Jello
If you have an NES, pick it up used for 5 bucks. I also think it would be worth petitioning Falcom to release it on the virtual console and maybe do a remake for wiiware. It was released about 8 years before but again, the plot is weirdly similar to the "truth" in the X-Files.

One interesting thing I forgot to mention that's really cool is the way the shape of the dwarves progresses. For the first two sections of the game, they look like monsters, animals, and bizarre creatures with the occasional unaltered dwarf fighting with bayonettes and shields. Closer to the end, the enemies start looking more and more like aliens, including one that looks like a xenomorph from aliens with a sword and shield and one that looks like a grey alien wearing plate armor and swinging a mace around.

(please log in to view the image)

(please log in to view the image)


The graphics are awesome too, using really dull, emotive color schemes abd cool (for 8-bit) fog and smoke effects that cover the whole screen.

The music is incredible too.


That's some pretty cool stuff.


__________________
And from the ashes he rose, like a black cloud. The Sin of one became the Sin of many.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2010 07:02 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Gender: Male
Location: The spire of the shadows

Bumping this with new information.


Hate: Chosen ones in general and "power of the heart/friendship"

Looking at you KH.


__________________
fear the shade Knight

Old Post May 1st, 2011 05:50 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 09:44 PM.
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread

Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Storylines/clitches you love/hate in video games

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.