KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Cheater or Fair Player?

Cheater or Fair Player?
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

If the game has cheats, I'll usually beat it fair, then go back and cheat just for the hell of it.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2010 04:51 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by KingD19
If the game has cheats, I'll usually beat it fair, then go back and cheat just for the hell of it.

I'm the same way. It also depends how much time i've put into a game how long the game is able to keep my interest. There have been times that a game became overly frustrating that i was forced to seek out cheats. Other times the game just becomes overly repetitive and i lose all interest. During those times i'll try to find a decent cheat just so i can end the game.

Then there are some games where the gameplay is enhanced by cheat codes. GTA is probably the finest example i can think of for this. I won't even bother playing a GTA game without the weapon and ammo cheats.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2010 06:58 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

At £35 - £40 per game, if you're cheating then you suck at playing them.

No offense.

I buy games to enjoy them. If they're hard, they're hard. No game is impossible to finish, there's always a way.

Some may be hard due to flawed gaming mechanics or whatever, but that still doesn't excuse cheating. Unless you get right to the end of a level on your own hard work and the power to your house dies, then sure, skip it.

Otherwise, I see no point.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 8th, 2010 11:32 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

either youre only referring to a specific type of cheating... or this is the worse blankest statement ive seen all day no expression

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 12:23 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

Most people don't cheat because they're bad at the game AC, they cheat because it's fun.

I've beat GTA: Ballad of Gay Tony/ Lost & Damned on my own, and on Gay Tony I got 100% for every mission, some of which I had to do 10+ times. Then I went back and used cheats because it's fun to have Luis punching cars and people, and them having them blown across the street because his hits were explosive.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 12:29 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I cheat any chance I get..when I play on my own.

Saints Row 1 and 2..

GTA games

Etc. etc.

However, since the last time I cheated, it's been ages.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 12:46 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Most people don't cheat because they're bad at the game AC, they cheat because it's fun.

I've beat GTA: Ballad of Gay Tony/ Lost & Damned on my own, and on Gay Tony I got 100% for every mission, some of which I had to do 10+ times. Then I went back and used cheats because it's fun to have Luis punching cars and people, and them having them blown across the street because his hits were explosive.

That's not cheating at the game though, that's using a code to have fun after you've done it on your own.

If you used that cheat because you weren't good enough to do it without it? That means you suck at it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 01:10 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

^Games like that are made so you can cheat on them, it increases the fun. Hell, both those series actually gave you cell phones so you could cheat, they wanted you 2, and that made it fun. In SR1-2, I had so many times I just put on the milk bones cheat and watched people fly off the screen. In SR2, I got the ninja outfit, then put on the half gravity code, then went hopping around the city. I especially loved tossing satchel charges on people/vehicles, and seeing how high I could get them to pop up.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 01:11 AM
KingD19

That's not cheating at the game though, that's using a code to have fun after you've done it on your own.

If you used that cheat because you weren't good enough to do it without it? That means you suck at it.

-AC

I see your point in that regard.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 01:11 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

^Games like that are made so you can cheat on them, it increases the fun. Hell, both those series actually gave you cell phones so you could cheat, they wanted you 2, and that made it fun. In SR1-2, I had so many times I just put on the milk bones cheat and watched people fly off the screen. In SR2, I got the ninja outfit, then put on the half gravity code, then went hopping around the city. I especially loved tossing satchel charges on people/vehicles, and seeing how high I could get them to pop up.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Cheating is cheating for a reason.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 03:55 AM
KingD19

They put a major amount of codes into the GTA and Saints Row games, presumably so people would have more fun playing them, because neither is impossible to beat without codes. When I was using the cheats I wasn't even on missions, I was just causing random mayhem.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 04:51 AM
jinXed by JaNx

-AC

sometimes the game just sucks or fails to keep the players interest. There are games that are challenging and even though they are challenging, the gameplay is so addictive and rewarding it inspires you to try harder. Then there are games that are hard due to lazy developing. I've played countless games where the difficulty is suddenly cranked up just to give the game extra length and not because it's meant to challenge you in a rewarding way. Those games, i have no qualms in cheating at but then again, i usually don't play games like that long enough to be bothered to cheat.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 05:27 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

Like in FF8 when you fight that devil boss in the genie bottle, and that other hidden boss at the end of the game. I damn near broke my system when I fought them. But then I found out about Zell's super move, needless to say I won the fights pretty easily after that.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 06:33 AM
LLLLLink
The Juror of Courage

Cheating is fun when you have beat the hell out of the game and the only way to squeeze more fun out of it is to cheat and glitch. That's the only way I condone it, however, cheating to win at multiplayer is gay and people who do it should be crucified.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 07:46 AM
LLLLLink is currently offline Click here to Send LLLLLink a Private Message Find more posts by LLLLLink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

No offense.

I buy games to enjoy them. If they're hard, they're hard. No game is impossible to finish, there's always a way.

Some may be hard due to flawed gaming mechanics or whatever, but that still doesn't excuse cheating. Unless you get right to the end of a level on your own hard work and the power to your house dies, then sure, skip it.

Otherwise, I see no point.

-AC

That's just ridiculous. Like you said it is enjoying the game that gets you to buy it. If you can't enjoy the game without cheating, why the hell should you just not play it? There's nothing wrong with cheating, like I said before, you can't really cheat yourself, all you do is change the game in a way to enjoy it more. It ultimately comes don to how much you enjoy the game, including cheating. If to you cheating stops you from enjoying the game, by all means, don't do it, but don't pretend that there's some absolute reason for it and that cheating is just generally bad, it isn't, it comes down to your own preferences.

Last edited by Bardock42 on Feb 9th, 2010 at 07:59 AM

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 07:55 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

I love causing riots in gta;SA and giving people weapons.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 12:32 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

They put a major amount of codes into the GTA and Saints Row games, presumably so people would have more fun playing them, because neither is impossible to beat without codes. When I was using the cheats I wasn't even on missions, I was just causing random mayhem.

Then it's not cheating.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Those games, i have no qualms in cheating at but then again, i usually don't play games like that long enough to be bothered to cheat.

Then how is what you said relevant? If a game is so shitty that you need to cheat to avoid game development, why not just avoid the game?

Originally posted by Bardock42
That's just ridiculous. Like you said it is enjoying the game that gets you to buy it. If you can't enjoy the game without cheating, why the hell should you just not play it? There's nothing wrong with cheating, like I said before, you can't really cheat yourself, all you do is change the game in a way to enjoy it more. It ultimately comes don to how much you enjoy the game, including cheating. If to you cheating stops you from enjoying the game, by all means, don't do it, but don't pretend that there's some absolute reason for it and that cheating is just generally bad, it isn't, it comes down to your own preferences.

Well...there is, kinda.

If you're paying for a game, obviously play it however you wish. I just think it defeats the purpose of honing your abilities to be good at a game if all you're gonna do is cheat. Cheats are there specifically to overcome elements of gameplay with excessive elements not intended for the main game mode.

For example, you can't unlock infinite ammo on Resident Evil until you've beat the games. Why? Because fighting for your life and working to conserve ammo is a plot point and something the game creators work hard to instill as a mechanic.

If you could just input a code for a rocket launcher with infinite ammo, and you do so because you suck at it, Resident Evil's entire purpose is defeated and you are most definitely not good at it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 02:34 PM
Q'Anilia
Exiled Master Jedi

I cheat when it's easy and play fair when it's hard. I don't want to waste a lot of time on something I know I will make, so I cheat past such events.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 02:38 PM
Q'Anilia is currently offline Click here to Send Q'Anilia a Private Message Find more posts by Q'Anilia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Well...there is, kinda.

If you're paying for a game, obviously play it however you wish. I just think it defeats the purpose of honing your abilities to be good at a game if all you're gonna do is cheat. Cheats are there specifically to overcome elements of gameplay with excessive elements not intended for the main game mode.

For example, you can't unlock infinite ammo on Resident Evil until you've beat the games. Why? Because fighting for your life and working to conserve ammo is a plot point and something the game creators work hard to instill as a mechanic.

If you could just input a code for a rocket launcher with infinite ammo, and you do so because you suck at it, Resident Evil's entire purpose is defeated and you are most definitely not good at it.

-AC

I agree of course that if you use cheats to beat a game cause you can't otherwise beat it, you are not very good at it. But if you just cheat (yourself) to have more fun playing the game you paid a lot of money for then I see no harm in that.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 04:25 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superherovandal
CEO of BS Comics Inc.

I used to cheat all the time when I first started gaming as a kid cuz i sucked...but not so much anymore.. still, it is you decision whether you want to cheat unless you are online or facing someone and doing it...i guess its okay with me.

I am creator of all the master of all things BS. Bow before my mighty form!

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 05:17 PM
Superherovandal is currently offline Click here to Send Superherovandal a Private Message Find more posts by Superherovandal Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote