KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Things You Miss From Yesteryear.

Things You Miss From Yesteryear.
Started by: §P0oONY

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Agree to the quote above. Maybe your not looking hard enough as there are tons of games that are linear.

One thing I hope that never comes back or random battles in RPGs. Unless its for the Handleds, other than that its outdated.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 12:19 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I am glad you put in the handheld exception- I rather like their deliberate old school recreations like Etrian Odyssey.

(The sequel to which, incidentally, is still not out in Europe, two years on. In fact, several of these hardcore Atlus games I'd like aren't out here)

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 12:22 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro

Alot of modern games I can beat in a few hours without dying once so really, who gives a shit?

Depends on what difficulty your choosing to play the game on........sounds like your choosing easy to start off on

me i always go with Normal to start off on.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 01:00 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

I really like random battles in RPGs. I think they serve to break up the gameplay. I think there should always be a spell or something that allows the elimination of them.. If you want to get from A->B quickly but I think just being put in a battle is better than picking them.

Just look at the Final Fantasy games. XII and XIII aren't great, and I think the lack of random battles is one of the many reasons. THe only thing worse then being placed in a battle randomly is seeing the enemies knowing you have to fight them or else you'll fall behind.

I don't think I've ever switched off an RPG becuase I was fed up of random battles but I know I switched off FFXIII numerous times because I entered a room full of enemies knowing I had to fight them all.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 01:54 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Originally posted by §P0oONY
I really like random battles in RPGs. I think they serve to break up the gameplay. I think there should always be a spell or something that allows the elimination of them.. If you want to get from A->B quickly but I think just being put in a battle is better than picking them.

Just look at the Final Fantasy games. XII and XIII aren't great, and I think the lack of random battles is one of the many reasons. THe only thing worse then being placed in a battle randomly is seeing the enemies knowing you have to fight them or else you'll fall behind.

I don't think I've ever switched off an RPG becuase I was fed up of random battles but I know I switched off FFXIII numerous times because I entered a room full of enemies knowing I had to fight them all.
Or you could out run them.. I like real time battles more and they are less annoying to me and allow me to pick my fights carefully.

Last edited by Phanteros on Apr 7th, 2010 at 02:59 PM

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 02:53 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Phanteros
Or you could out run them.. I like real time battles more and they are less annoying to me and allow me to pick my fights carefully.
You have to fight sometimes though, and in FFXIII it was pretty much timed as such that if you wanted to keep on top of you Crystal thing you had to fight most battles. I simply prefer random battles.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 03:06 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Even though with random battles you oftentimes wind up fighting more?

Anyway, the lack of local multiplayer is something that annoys me also. Sure, Nintendo still does a lot of that...but frankly, I don't have much interest in the stuff they have for the most part and I rarely play my Wii. The fact that I can't play GTAIV or CoD or something like that with my brother offline annoys me immensely.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 06:21 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

For me, it seems like games seem to become easier and easier.

As said before in this thread, I agree that health bars should be re-implemented to FPS games.
Regen takes much of the challenge away, imho.

I miss the turn-based RPGs.
For some reason, most of the best storylines I've ever seen were from turn-based RPGs.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 06:47 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
For me, it seems like games seem to become easier and easier.

As said before in this thread, I agree that health bars should be re-implemented to FPS games.
Regen takes much of the challenge away, imho.

I miss the turn-based RPGs.
For some reason, most of the best storylines I've ever seen were from turn-based RPGs.
I hate turn base. Personally like if if its done in like in FF 12 or DOA but having to wait for opponent to attack is outdated apparently in the consoles and somewhat unessarary.

But if you want turn based go play an handheld game like Valkyrie profile: covelent plume. Infact there are many turn based games for the computer that is out as well so they not gone at all.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 07:54 PM
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Peach
Even though with random battles you oftentimes wind up fighting more?

Anyway, the lack of local multiplayer is something that annoys me also. Sure, Nintendo still does a lot of that...but frankly, I don't have much interest in the stuff they have for the most part and I rarely play my Wii. The fact that I can't play GTAIV or CoD or something like that with my brother offline annoys me immensely.
Yeah, you don't take on the numbers when you're getting them randomly.

I prefer turn based too. Although I do like ATB and the CTB system from FFX was by far my favourite. I like to think about what I'm going to do, instead of having to rush. It's fine in games like Secret of Mana and the 'Tales of' games as they didn't over complicate the battle system but look at FFXII, they tried to do too much with gambits. (FFXII is using a turn based system but is trying to act like it isn't and it suffers.)

Old Post Apr 7th, 2010 11:13 PM