KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Gears of War 3

Gears of War 3
Started by: Zack Fair

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (30): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
§P0oONY

Must have been someone else then. I'd apoligise but I don't really like you so I won't.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 01:16 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

its ok, no ones perfect, me being the exception

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 01:25 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Finest story telling in FPS IMO

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 01:27 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

gears?

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 01:28 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

No, lol, I mean HL2

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 01:30 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

oh. why, OOC? like, what about the way the story is presented makes it so great to you?

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 01:31 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

More people probably agree Half-Life is so amazing than actually believe it, and appreciate it.

That happens to all things that are generally agreed to be amazing and, as a result, end up popular.

It's subjective either way, but I'm always suspicious of something very layered and intelligent garnering such wide-spread, worldwide acclaim. The general populace are generally idiots who wouldn't know anything intellectual if it raped them in prison with the Born-Oppenheimer approximation printed on the condom.

Thus, when everyone starts praising it for things you know they probably don't get, you should be suspicious.

That doesn't mean it isn't worthy of certain praises.

Subjective as it is, I'd say to call Half-Life average is crazy.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 01:32 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Subjective as it is, I'd say to call Half-Life average is crazy.

-AC

how do you figure? i know a lot of people say its great but i find that sometimes its hard for them to really explain why.

is it something that you would to had experienced to when it came out, to understand? because i played through it just last year and wasnt impressed aside from the phsyics engine

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 01:33 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Meh.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 01:35 AM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
is it something that you would to had experienced to when it came out, to understand? because i played through it just last year and wasnt impressed aside from the phsyics engine

Yeah, at least for me. HL2 was good fun the first time I played it back in 2004. I tried replaying it a couple of months ago, but had to stop because I was getting bored out of my mind.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 02:25 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Half Life 2 has the finest level design this side of Bioshock. The world feels like a real place, not a series of disperate levels populated with things for you to shoot, as it is in most FPS games. It feels like a place that existed before I put the disc in and turned on the game, and it feels like it continues to exist after turning off the game. When I'm going through City 17, it feels like a living breathing city soaked in bleakness and tragedy. It also juggles large scale firefights with intimate fear based survival horror type gameplay better than any other game, also expertly mixing in little puzzles. I was never that impressed with the physics in Half Life 2, nor the gunplay, this is a series that lives and dies on the world and levels that they create, and they are very special in this game.

The story finds itself in the strange place of being very generic in its most basic premise (aliens invade, shit goes wrong) while being extraordinarily unique in the way it tells said story: Through the world itself. No lazy cutscenes with hamfisted dialogue here, just straight forward environmental storytelling. It's not afraid of being intellectual, it doesn't talk down to the player, it assumes, rather bravely in this day and age, that the person playing the game is not a total idiot, and thus will understand the nuances that can be found in the game. The key to this is forcing you to stay in the eyes of Gordon Freeman 100% of the time, something every FPS game should do now. It is inherently better to stay within the confines of the character you are supposed to be, especially in a genre that lives and dies on immersing you in the world, which is what a good FPS game must do in order to be truly successful in any meaningful way beyond neanderthallic and hollow satisfaction.

It also has the best character development in the history of not just the genre, but I think possibly the entire medium. I came to care for Alyx more so than any other single character in my 24 years of gaming. Sweet, smart, funny and sassy, she personifies what a good female character should be, not a busty bimbo with 36 D's, but someone who you end up caring for as you would a sister. This relationship you form with her is the crux of the game, and the payoff is in the monumentally powerful and haunting ending to Half Life 2 Episode 2, the saddest moment I think gaming has yet achieved. No melodrama here, just very blunt and sad despair. A complex feeling which fits perfectly in what is the most complex and deep FPS game around.

Last edited by BackFire on Apr 15th, 2010 at 02:31 AM

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 02:25 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Bravo.

I will never forget "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up Mr. Freeman, wake up and smell the ashes."

Last edited by Zack Fair on Apr 15th, 2010 at 02:35 AM

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 02:32 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

There are rumors that there's gonna be a level where you can play underwater. Why underwater? Most demands I've been reading from Gears fans was that they wanted to fight in space. Fighting in dark, murky water with a chance to meet monsters (like the giant fish in Gears 2) doesn't seem pleasent.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 03:41 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Swamp sort of gameplay sounds far more logical than space (which is what I assume you mean by water, I don't know how they would really implament actual underwater into gears gameplay). Why on earth would they be fighting in space?

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 03:48 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

for underwater im guessing theyre referring to flooded sewers and/or stations or something, considering that the end of the last game invovled jacinto sinking

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 03:50 AM
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
for underwater im guessing theyre referring to flooded sewers and/or stations or something, considering that the end of the last game invovled jacinto sinking
Yeah, sort of like waist high? Like the blood in 2?

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 03:53 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

i dont know... i hope they dont go the bioshock route and have actual underwater cities and stuff though...

by he way backfire, thanks for that input. i dont really agree with any of it but i appreciate the fact that youre willing to put that out there in the first place.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 03:54 AM
§P0oONY

I think you really need to replay HL2. I agree with pretty much everything Backfire said, minus the Alyx stuff probably. I liked her as a character and the end of episode 2 was gutting but I don't think I cared about her that much. I just think Backfire has a little VG crush.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 04:03 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

well like i said i played it just last year and i really wasnt impressed with the storyline or the gameplay. i think what really did it for me was how empty everything is all the time in that game... theres no music 90% of the time (if at all, cant remember), and you spend the majority of the time wandering around alone killing dozens and dozens of lifeless no personality clones. there was nothing that really put me into the game..

it does come down to preference though, im just a really big fan of cinematic and linear games. its why i cant play games like fallout. when theres no actual stimulation (wither it be through character interaction or pulse racing music or intense fighting etc) i just get bored... ive never been impressed purely by the aesthetics of a game, like level design. closest ive come so far is to modern warfare 2's storyline, in which the actual levels were at times jaw dropping in terms of impact and implications. i think thats kind of cheating though because the developers just had to tweak and convert real life areas into the game as opposed to creating all new ones.

as for alyx... she was okay i guess...

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 04:17 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Did you play the episodes as well? Because that's when the storyline, and more specifically your relationship with Alyx really becomes a powerful drawing force in the series. Really Episode 1 in its entirety is almost purely about developing the relationship with Alyx, and Episode 2 is the payoff of that development.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 04:39 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote