KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Balder vs. Wolverine

Balder vs. Wolverine
Started by: JakeTheBank

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Real Wolvie

opps..

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 09:28 AM
The Real Wolvie is currently offline Click here to Send The Real Wolvie a Private Message Find more posts by The Real Wolvie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Real Wolvie
The Japanese fighting style, and swordsmanship were CLEARLY superior - I don't think that's even up for debate. This is especially true in comics where Asian styles allow you to Chi-amp (Iron Fist) and use ninja magic (Wolverine). Viking still gives you what now?
People be watching too much anime these days. I love how people assume Asian countries invented martial arts and swordplay.

I don't know what Vikings give you. I do know what Balder gives Wolverine: an a$$-whuppin.

Revamped Thor Respect Thread Revamped Loki Respect Thread
Revamped Hulk Respect Thread Revamped Iron Man Respect Thread

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 09:29 AM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Real Wolvie

Originally posted by OneDumbG0
People be watching too much anime these days. I love how people assume Asian countries invented martial arts and swordplay.

I don't know what Vikings give you. I do know what Balder gives Wolverine: an a$$-whuppin.

Well, they definitely invented GOOD martial arts...that's why we still use it instead of idiot white man style. You know, swing like a lumberjack and make up dumb rules like "no nut shots" and can't kick when they're down.

Also, it's been demonstrated scientifically that the katana is far superior to any other sword ever crafted...at least by ancient standards.

The only time I ever see you argue about Wolverine is when you want to go against him, so of course you will say that Balder beats Wolverine. Next, you will make up that in order to beat Count Nefara, Wolverine was possessed by the Hand of God again, or something. I love how Wolverine haters NEVER cite any evidence, and just flat our make stuff up to prove their case. I mean, I've heard of fundamentalism but seriously...these things are not even believed to be real - by anyone! At least evangelicals have the excuse that they are deluded enough to believe they will burn forever if they don't believe the Earth is 6000 years old. So I guess we can understand, at least a bit, when they claim that Satan planted dinosaur bones in the earth. Then again, I mean, you do hate Wolverine with a real passion so I could see why you would do that.

And you're always calling Wolverine fans idiotic, stupid, etc. I mean, you know I really don't care - I think it's ****ing hilarious that someone gets that worked up over cartoon drawings. hey wait...you're names not Mohomad is it? laughing

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 09:37 AM
The Real Wolvie is currently offline Click here to Send The Real Wolvie a Private Message Find more posts by The Real Wolvie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Well, they definitely invented GOOD martial arts...that's why we still use it instead of idiot white man style.

No it isn't, one of the main reason why we don't have viking martial arts is because their civilsation was 'wiped' out not because their martial arts weren't any good. Also they didn't start writing things down until after they converted to Christanity they used runic script.

Theres proof that the beserk may have been an actual martial art and there are too many reports describing how formidable thay were for it to be crap

Also, it's been demonstrated scientifically that the katana is far superior to any other sword ever crafted...at least by ancient standards.

It might be got any concrete proof? That doesn't even actually mean they had superior martial arts, it just means they crafted better weapons.

Last edited by Deadline on May 22nd, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 10:47 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Real Wolvie

Originally posted by Deadline
No it isn't, one of the main reason why we don't have viking martial arts is because their civilsation was 'wiped' out not because their martial arts weren't any good. Also they didn't start writing things down until after they converted to Christanity they used runic script.

Theres proof that the beserk may have been an actual martial art and there are too many reports describing how formidable thay were for it to be crap

It might be got any concrete proof? That doesn't even actually mean they had superior martial arts, it just means they crafted better weapons.

Well, it would not have been wiped out had it been as good eek!

I mean, China and Japan were not conquerable until guns were invented. That speaks for itself. Also, Asian martial arts can be credited with inventing the proper body mechanics for punching. Karate dudes can potentially hit harder than boxers. No joke - I've seen it myself having trained in both arts.

Seriously, if Vikings had the best, I doubt their civilization would have been wiped out by Xianity. Unless they were just so few in numbers, I'm not sure....

One thing is for sure though - Asian martial arts are far superior to any other in the Marvel U. Just ask Chi, Fist, Wolverine, Ogun, Stick, Elektra, DareDevil, Karnak, Mandrin, etc...the list goes on

No one can chi-amp because they learned viking martial arts now..

As far as the swords go - they were folded steel over two hundred times - on fight science they were described as the best weapon. They are also still made today and are sharp as hell. Also, as I mentioned above, it took guns to conquer the Japs. While this isn't "scientific" evidence, it makes a pretty good case.

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 11:22 AM
Deadline

Well, it would not have been wiped out had it been as good eek!

No mate really when it boils down to it the reason why they were conquered was because they spent too much time fighting each other. Just because they have good martial arts doesn't mean they were invincible. Same thing with the Roman Empire and they were highly trained.

I also think there was economic pressure as well you can't fight that with martial arts.

I mean, China and Japan were not conquerable until guns were invented. That speaks for itself.

No it doesn't. China has a vast number of people in it if you actually look at what happened in some battles the west had with China they lost due to sheer numbers. I also don't think anybody from the West had actually attempted to conquer China before guns were invented.

Also, Asian martial arts can be credited with inventing the proper body mechanics for punching. Karate dudes can potentially hit harder than boxers. No joke - I've seen it myself having trained in both arts.

Yes I know but I suspect some of that comes from things such as meditation. Mediation isn't a Chinese invention every one did including some of the Vikings.

Seriously, if Vikings had the best, I doubt their civilization would have been wiped out by Xianity. Unless they were just so few in numbers, I'm not sure....

I didn't say it was best im questioning you saying that Asian martial arts are better and that 'white man style' crap. Most likely if it did exist today they would both have good points and bad points.

It was wiped out because they were constantly fighting each other. Also alot of beserkers were basterds and used there skill to pick on weaker people so it was outlawed (In Denmark I think).

One thing is for sure though - Asian martial arts are far superior to any other in the Marvel U. Just ask Chi, Fist, Wolverine, Ogun, Stick, Elektra, DareDevil, Karnak, Mandrin, etc...the list goes on

No one can chi-amp because they learned viking martial arts now..

Mantis doesn't practice an Asian martial art its kree. A depowered Thor was shown to keep up with Captain America.

As far as the swords go - they were folded steel over two hundred times - on fight science they were described as the best weapon. They are also still made today and are sharp as hell. Also, as I mentioned above, it took guns to conquer the Japs. While this isn't "scientific" evidence, it makes a pretty good case.

No its proves they made better swords that it. Im also thinking katans were maninly used by the samurai so that one group of people you're focusing on.

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 12:26 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

the reason the viking were so formidable in ancient times was mainly due to their raiding method of villages and even their size. armor also was a big factor in real life skill isnt always the equalizing factor sometimes it is intimidation size and power.. anyways one of the biggest reasons they are not around is b/c of chrisianity and conversion as well as not have a centralized civilization since more often then not they were explorers who would settle in ares they discovered..

the problem i have with these two meeting in battle is that a samurai unlike in movies dont really engage in a prolong sword fight of parrying but usually involves a single well placed strike or a couple... in comics this type of fighting would be more pronounce against these two fighters..

like i said in a pure melee fight Balder doesnt have the feats to contend with logan.. i give balder the win if he can shoot a sun lvl omni blast at logan as many of you think he will..

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 02:02 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Wild Shadow
the reason the viking were so formidable in ancient times was mainly due to their raiding method of villages and even their size.

What get in a boat and attack people? Yeah they had good boats but I think you might be exaggerating. I think they were simply more organised and there might have been more of them.

armor also was a big factor in real life skill isnt always the equalizing factor sometimes it is intimidation size and power

W-what their armour was better than the Anglo-Saxons? Sorry man but it sounds like you're making shit up.

.. anyways one of the biggest reasons they are not around is b/c of chrisianity and conversion as well as not have a centralized civilization

Thats correct.

since more often then not they were explorers who would settle in ares they discovered..

Thats completely incorrect.

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 02:44 PM
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

i could get deeper into this or i could have made my post far more detailed but i am far from wrong.. if you like we can open another thread involving viking life..

but vikings were responsible for various society if not directly then simply with interbreeding and or simply being absorbed into the culture..

i can sit here and name places and areas in europe where that was the case and societies that tied their culture to vikings in europe..

saxon in england
iceland
greenland
switzerland
germans
etc etc..

i could sit here and spout off about how vikings started to change life styles due to port city and open trade routes where raiding was no longer the preferred method of gaining wealth but trade was now the more likely way of not only gaining wealth but knowledge..

i could use my life MA experience about the goal of sword fighting using my black belt weapons training in sword use.. how the warrior looks for a single opportunity and its not the goal to block and parry like in the movies although we are trained to it is not the focus of the sword fighter.. i could tell you how a sword fight usually ended within a few seconds or few minutes from the engagement.. strictly speaking of the MA not viking method of sword fighting

Last edited by Dark Riddick on May 22nd, 2010 at 03:07 PM

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 03:03 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

if you like we can open another thread involving viking life..

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...threadid=531657

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 03:18 PM
jinzin

This is gonna devolve into another Gamora vs. Wolverine thread isn't it?

Where in spite of Balder not having the proper feats to dictate him being IN Logan's class nevermind above it minus an enchantment or dues ex machina you guys are gonna be fit to sit there and tell us otherwise...just.... well... just because... He IS class 50 afterall. no expression

As for his "light powers". Yeah, he has about as much a likelyhood of winning with that tactic as Namor does using electrocution..... but whatever.

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 05:47 PM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

namor uses his sea powers all the time like the time he puffered up or the two or three times he used his electric eel power and even used it to shoot blast.. the reason he doesnt use it in every fight is b/c the y need to give heroes a chance.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 05:53 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Obviously Wolverine would completely rage stomp Blader, but don't take that for anything other than it is.

People need to put aside the romanticized notions of what samurai where. The reality is a Viking Berserker would more than likely take a Samurai in a one on one fight. There is a the obvious height and weight advantage, but the fact of the matter is the Viking's weapons where superior as well. Thanks to its heft and weight, even a dull broad sword can make all the cuts a katana can make and then some. It also has the added benefit of being able to block and parry incoming attacks, something you wouldn't want do with a katana outside of a movie or comic thanks to its brittleness. Shield and axe, or shield and sword are also an excellent combo - especially against someone with a weapon who doesn't want to engage in any sword on sword action and would rather wait for an opening to exploit. Is a samurai more skilled? Maybe on paper, but there is a difference between training and sparing to hone your skills and fighting and raiding every day with your life on the line. On paper, virtually everyone the Mongolians ever fought a superior fighting force and technically more skilled, and the Mongolians pretty much destroyed them all even with far inferior numbers and training (that includes Northern China fyi). There is something to be said for skill gained from constant experience on the battle vs. training.

But Logan is just as much a viking berserker as he is a samurai... more so even.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 08:35 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ Wolverine isn't rage-stomping Balder. lulz

On everything else: thumb up
Originally posted by jinzin
This is gonna devolve into another Gamora vs. Wolverine thread isn't it?

Where in spite of Balder not having the proper feats to dictate him being IN Logan's class nevermind above it minus an enchantment or dues ex machina you guys are gonna be fit to sit there and tell us otherwise...just.... well... just because... He IS class 50 afterall. no expression

As for his "light powers". Yeah, he has about as much a likelyhood of winning with that tactic as Namor does using electrocution..... but whatever.
Actually, you're desperately wishing his only advantage was that he was only class 50. He's not only many times stronger, he's faster, he's got more stamina, his swordsmanship has overcome perfect swordsmanship enchantments, and he has sun powers which can incinerate Wolverine.

He doesn't stomp Wolverine in two hits like Thor did, but he does beat him. And straw-manning us and trying to campaign that he's nothing but a mindless class 50 viking isn't helping your case. It just reveals one of two things: (i) how uninformed you are, or (ii) how desperate you are to color an uninformed person's opinion.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 04:01 AM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Thor managed to break Wolverine out of mind control. He didn't "stomp" him... in fact he barely even phased him. Wolverine was completely fine, Thor wasn't.

Blader isn't faster than Wolverine. Don't kid yourself.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 04:12 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ Please. If Thor was trying to beat him, he'd just repeatedly smite him with lightning or blast him once he was down. Acting like that fight cast Wolverine as being a dominating opponent is comedy gold.

Wolverine ain't gliding magically enhanced bullets along his claws and redirecting them at his foes. Don't kid yourself.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 04:23 AM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I could be wrong, but I think most here are giving Logan his due even if they still think Balder wins. On the other hand, some seem to be lowballing/downplaying Balder as some crude "viking barbarian" when it's painfully obvious Balder is the best warrior of Asgard barring Thor. And iirc, Balder has used his superior agility/speed to get around Thor, whose own speed at least matches Logan's.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 04:26 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by OneDumbG0
^ Please. If Thor was trying to beat him, he'd just repeatedly smite him with lightning or blast him once he was down. Acting like that fight cast Wolverine as being a dominating opponent is comedy gold.

Wolverine ain't gliding magically enhanced bullets along his claws and redirecting them at his foes. Don't kid yourself.

Thor would eventually beat Wolverine in real fight with them both going all out (nothing Wolverine could do to Thor if he fought using his head) but that doesn't change the fact that nothing Thor did had any effect on Wolverine what so ever. If Thor want to ko Wolverine, he'd need to clear his schedule for the rest of the day, two hits wouldn't come close to "stomping" him has you claim.

Typhoid Mary's done it and Wolverine never had any problem with her speed.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 04:28 AM
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Come on... this isn't even a contest. Wolverine has no chance against
Balder. Turn heat up. Melt flesh. Sword of Frey cuts off head.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 04:37 AM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Thor would eventually beat Wolverine in real fight with them both going all out (nothing Wolverine could do to Thor if he fought using his head) but that doesn't change the fact that nothing Thor did had any effect on Wolverine what so ever. If Thor want to ko Wolverine, he'd need to clear his schedule for the rest of the day, two hits wouldn't come close to "stomping" him has you claim.

Typhoid Mary's done it and Wolverine never had any problem with her speed.
Nothing Thor did had any effect on Wolverine? Other than the Mjolnir swing which pounded him down so hard Wolverine wasn't even able to recover quickly enough to dodge a follow up shot? Also, how do you not vomit in your own mouth when you suggest that it'd take all day for Thor to ko Wolverine? W.T.F.

And it still means Wolverine's slower and Balder is faster. Deflection.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 04:40 AM