KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Why do people like Wolverine so much?

Why do people like Wolverine so much?
Started by: Psychopath001

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Psychopath001
RESPECT NOVA DAMMIT!

Why do people like Wolverine so much?

He is so VASTLY over rated. I mean, WOW. I don't think I have ever seen any comic book character put on a higher pedestal than they deserve more than this dude. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like him, quite a bit, but it's getting way too much.

Yes he has adamantium claws, and yes he has a healing factor, but so what? With the sort of beings roaming the universe and even the ones just on earth, I don't understand why there is so much hype being made about a character whose primary function is to keep taking incredible hits because he's not powerful enough to dish incredible ones out.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 06:06 PM
Psychopath001 is currently offline Click here to Send Psychopath001 a Private Message Find more posts by Psychopath001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

What he lacks in power he makes up for in precision deadliness.

And Wolverine's actually far more hated by the comic book community then celebrated. The people who do like him are typically casual comic-based media fans only familiar with his character design, the movies, and the cartoons.

As for us actual comic readers who like him... There's tons of reasons.

He is an underdog type of character, everyone wants to believe in the underdog.
He's the ultimate anti-hero; he has a realistic view on how to deal with terroristic super villains, and takes that responsibility of taking lives on his own consciense and soul.
He's fearless; to have fear is to be caged, Wolverine is not afraid to run headfirst into situations that present nothing but an oppurtunity for pain.
At the end of the day though it's like Wizard said sometime ago. Wolverine doesn't live in stark lines of right and wrong, he understands that a grey area exists and he's constantly trying to exist within that area because he doesn't presume one way to be the best way, at the end of the day he's just a man, trying to be better than he is... and I think we can all relate to that.

As far as fights go on the forums.. he gets put into a lot of battles that are melee oriented fights, and those are the types of fights he excells at. No overration about it, that's just how it is.

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 06:35 PM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omgu8mynewt

He's cool - he's been around a lot, been in many teams and situations and got a lot of experience. He doesn't bother being polite to everyone and getting along with everyone, but says what he thinks. He's different in the comics in that he's a major player but seems sometimes like an angry old man, not a perfect super hero at all

Old Post May 23rd, 2010 08:05 PM
Omgu8mynewt is currently offline Click here to Send Omgu8mynewt a Private Message Find more posts by Omgu8mynewt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
namorsubby

It's astounding to me how much "fanboyism" can ruin other people's outlook on a character, even though I must admit I myself had been one of those who had their affinity for the character of Wolverine soured when I first started posting on message boards and witnessed what it was really like. And to think back in the day, around the time the first X-men movie came out, Wolverine was one of my all time, absolute favorite characters. I even used to watch the X-men cartoon early saturday morning just to see him. It's ashamed really.It's just all the fuss some of these posters make about him, especially in vs forums. Some of those guys are just plain Loco, others seem to be very intelligent and competent debaters to me, who still IMO over-rate him a little, but only because they have such vast knowledge of the character and just frankly seem to think that no one else knows better. Some guys are kinda half way in between Loco and the latter.lol

Recently though, I've gotta say, I've been growing more and more fond of the character. Oh no....what if I become that which I hate the most.lol

Original Human Torch
Namora

Old Post May 24th, 2010 08:15 AM
namorsubby is currently offline Click here to Send namorsubby a Private Message Find more posts by namorsubby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jinzin
What he lacks in power he makes up for in precision deadliness.

And Wolverine's actually far more hated by the comic book community then celebrated. The people who do like him are typically casual comic-based media fans only familiar with his character design, the movies, and the cartoons.

As for us actual comic readers who like him... There's tons of reasons.

He is an underdog type of character, everyone wants to believe in the underdog.
He's the ultimate anti-hero; he has a realistic view on how to deal with terroristic super villains, and takes that responsibility of taking lives on his own consciense and soul.
He's fearless; to have fear is to be caged, Wolverine is not afraid to run headfirst into situations that present nothing but an oppurtunity for pain.
At the end of the day though it's like Wizard said sometime ago. Wolverine doesn't live in stark lines of right and wrong, he understands that a grey area exists and he's constantly trying to exist within that area because he doesn't presume one way to be the best way, at the end of the day he's just a man, trying to be better than he is... and I think we can all relate to that.

As far as fights go on the forums.. he gets put into a lot of battles that are melee oriented fights, and those are the types of fights he excells at. No overration about it, that's just how it is.

he's hated because i think some of his fans are a little too much on the wolverade. the character is actually "cool", but his large fanbase are a little too rabid which in turn makes him annoying to others.

Old Post May 25th, 2010 01:22 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gogogadgetgo

i personally use to like wolverine and think that he was awsome. but marvel has been wanking on him so much that i've grown to dislike him a bit.

started with the x-men movies, where he was like portrayed as the most awsome x-man and turning everyone else into suck ass whimps.

then we have the cartoon wolverine and the x-men. WTF? wolverine has no business leading the x-men.

he's a foot soldger and they should keep it that way. leadership belongs to the likes of cyclops and storm and profesor x.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 02:45 PM
gogogadgetgo is currently offline Click here to Send gogogadgetgo a Private Message Find more posts by gogogadgetgo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sabrial
Restricted

Account Restricted

i love this movie because there is lot of action and suspense in this movie. and Logan has better personality in this movie.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 06:58 AM
Sabrial is currently offline Click here to Send Sabrial a Private Message Find more posts by Sabrial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Personally i liked the character ever since the X-men 90's cartoon and i agree with what he can do with his healing can get over the top sometimes but then that comes back to the writer.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 09:21 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Wolverine is a edgy character. He kills and maims people and does thing the average "heroic" person wouldn't even consider. He has an interesting moral compass and back story and his power set enables him to fight most people in close combat.

As one of Marvel's flagship characters, it's only natural his fanbase is pretty passionate, probably just as much as say, Hulk's. I do think people take it a bit too far, but the same could be said about every other popular comic book character out there. I will say I don't think he should have ever had multiple ongoings nor be on multiple teams at once. That and his healing factor has been blown out of proportion by writers to the point that people think it takes nothing short of Hulk to KO or outright beat him which is pretty ridiculous.

He's a cool guy, but not in overwhelming doses.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 10:33 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
killermover

Wolvie ain't a hero. He's a rebel without a cause, and is the first guy a comics to be successful with that trope. BUt it's hard to make him ain stream to children since he's a killer and a anti heroic foil to the x men verse. It's annoying when he does nothing with his claws accept slash machines to pieces instead of human flesh, in the cartoons anyway.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 02:53 AM
killermover is currently offline Click here to Send killermover a Private Message Find more posts by killermover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Most of his fans are beta males who wish they could be like him.

Like jinzin...

(please log in to view the image)

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 05:11 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

Creepy, disturbing, insulting and funny.... AND all at the same time..... Impressive.... most impressive.

Besides that, I have no idea what you mean.. I AAAMMM like him... hmph!

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 05:56 AM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wannabe
P10 commercial Mindguard

Originally posted by Mindset
Most of his fans are beta males who wish they could be like him. ...
Simple truth, though i'd say there are loads of omegas, too. yes

Among those male comic fans i know, and there are a lot, Wolverine gets less interesting and less appealing the more selfconfident, complacent, sure of their masculinity and independent of machismo they are.

THE CORPS IS MOTHER
THE CORPS IS FATHER

Last edited by wannabe on Jun 12th, 2010 at 02:40 PM

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 02:37 PM
wannabe is currently offline Click here to Send wannabe a Private Message Find more posts by wannabe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sabrial
Restricted

Account Restricted

its too good movie i like it very much. most characters of this movie are my favorite, that is the the main reason of my liking this movie.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2010 08:39 AM
Sabrial is currently offline Click here to Send Sabrial a Private Message Find more posts by Sabrial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wannabe
P10 commercial Mindguard

Originally posted by Sabrial
its too good movie i like it very much. most characters of this movie are my favorite, that is the the main reason of my liking this movie.

huh You do realize, that this discussion is about the character Wolverine in general, not about his movie?

THE CORPS IS MOTHER
THE CORPS IS FATHER

Old Post Jun 15th, 2010 04:58 PM
wannabe is currently offline Click here to Send wannabe a Private Message Find more posts by wannabe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by Psychopath001
He is so VASTLY over rated. I mean, WOW. I don't think I have ever seen any comic book character put on a higher pedestal than they deserve more than this dude. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like him, quite a bit, but it's getting way too much.

Yes he has adamantium claws, and yes he has a healing factor, but so what? With the sort of beings roaming the universe and even the ones just on earth, I don't understand why there is so much hype being made about a character whose primary function is to keep taking incredible hits because he's not powerful enough to dish incredible ones out.
I have 2 words for you...Snikt Bub.

/thread

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jun 15th, 2010 06:20 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ImmortalIronMan

Wolverine's one of Marvel's flagships and he's a popular character because he is an anti-hero.

The main reason people in the comic book community hate him is because of his jobber aura, which means he tends to hold his own and sometimes even beat people outside his weight class.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2010 09:44 PM
ImmortalIronMan is currently offline Click here to Send ImmortalIronMan a Private Message Find more posts by ImmortalIronMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mastagambit
king of thieves

I am so glad Wolverine and the X-Men was cancelled.He has no business leading a team.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2010 06:51 PM
mastagambit is currently offline Click here to Send mastagambit a Private Message Find more posts by mastagambit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dum Dum Dugan

Originally posted by mastagambit
I am so glad Wolverine and the X-Men was cancelled.He has no business leading a team.

first there this is about comic wolverine not some shitty tv show.

second Logans led numerous teams including x-men, team x, military teams, alpha flight teams and currently leads x-force. Scot amoung many others have commented on how good of a leader he is dispite not wishing to lead himself.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2010 10:57 AM
Dum Dum Dugan is currently offline Click here to Send Dum Dum Dugan a Private Message Find more posts by Dum Dum Dugan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mastagambit
king of thieves

Originally posted by Battlehammer
first there this is about comic wolverine not some shitty tv show.

second Logans led numerous teams including x-men, team x, military teams, alpha flight teams and currently leads x-force. Scot amoung many others have commented on how good of a leader he is dispite not wishing to lead himself.

I mentioned the 'shitty' tv show because his character is like that show.
Second,in the comics any team Logan leads doesnt last long. I wouldnt even call it that he leads X-Force,Cable is more of a leader than him in that series,and isnt it going to get cancelled just like the 'shitty' show?

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2010 02:31 PM
mastagambit is currently offline Click here to Send mastagambit a Private Message Find more posts by mastagambit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote