KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » The Dresden Files

The Dresden Files
Started by: Lincoln Rhyme

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

When I read genre fiction I tend to tear through it, but with literary fiction I read at a third grader's pace. Or at least I feel as if I do. Whenever I read a Toni Morrison or Vladimir Nabokov book I take a month, but a Dresden Files book, which tends to be 50% longer, takes me a week. I think it's because I read DF books as a reader, not as a writer.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2013 01:29 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

That makes sense generally a Dresden book takes me about a week to read but I don't try to break it down I just go along for the ride and see if I enjoy it.

What has been your favorite books and characters so far?

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Nov 30th, 2013 01:37 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Newjak
That makes sense generally a Dresden book takes me about a week to read but I don't try to break it down I just go along for the ride and see if I enjoy it.

What has been your favorite books and characters so far?

Good question. For a while it was Grave Peril, until I read Dead Beat. Then...I don't know, Changes was pretty amazing, as was Cold Days. Ghost Story was my least favorite.

Favorite characters include Marcone, Bob, Mouse, Mister, Harry, and Nicodemus.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2013 03:56 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Excellent I also enjoyed Dead Beat, I enjoyed Death Mask and Grave Peril. Changes was good. I actually liked Ghost Stories I felt it was a nice change up from Harry's normal pace. I really liked Cold Days along with Turn Coat. I don't know if there is one I particularly disliked but if I had to choose a least favorite it might be Blood Rights or Small Favors.

My favorites are Bob, Mouse, Susan, Michael, and Thomas. Harry and Marcone are like my second tier favorites.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Nov 30th, 2013 03:49 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

The official release for Skin Game is May 27th. Im pretty excited!

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Jan 29th, 2014 08:35 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Me to and that is my birthday so I'm expecting it as a present!

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Feb 7th, 2014 09:53 PM
BlackZero30x
Jack

haha thats funny because my birthday is the 24th so I was expecting it as a late birthday present!

Old Post Feb 17th, 2014 03:45 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

got my little brother to start reading around New Years. He's now reading Ghost Story.

That makes five people I've gotten to read the series.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2014 03:11 AM
BlackZero30x
Jack

The majority of my friends that do read books don't care about the series much. Most of them have the mind set that if its not Game of Thrones they aren't interested. I personally couldn't get into those books much.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2014 06:59 AM
Omega Vision

You're just not pitching it well enough. stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2014 01:44 PM
NemeBro

I've read the first in the series, I am stuck in limbo within the second. That was before my "Finish what you start" book policy was in place. I'll finish it one day. One day.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2014 05:22 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by NemeBro
I've read the first in the series, I am stuck in limbo within the second. That was before my "Finish what you start" book policy was in place. I'll finish it one day. One day.

It gets SO MUCH better after the first two books, trust me. Not that the first two books are bad, mind you.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2014 01:52 PM
ShadowFyre

I absolutely love this series. I haven't read the latest one but I hope they explore Odin and the dragon from the 3rd book more.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2014 02:35 AM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Ferrovax is supposed to play a major role in the "Apocalyptic Trilogy" at the end of the series.

Odin...yeah, he had a big role in Cold Days.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2014 02:11 AM
ShadowFyre

Thank you for the dragons name. I have read all of them up to ghost story. The local library doesn't have the newest ones. Guess km gonna have to buy everything after that.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2014 03:39 AM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Thank you for the dragons name. I have read all of them up to ghost story. The local library doesn't have the newest ones. Guess km gonna have to buy everything after that.

Newest one. There's only been one book out so far since Ghost Story.

Skin Games isn't coming out till May.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2014 01:39 PM
ShadowFyre

Yeah. Its been almost a year since I read them. Perfect reason to re read them. Has anyone watched the show? I never have. I heard it was horrible.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2014 02:09 PM
Omega Vision

I haven't seen it. I think it was canceled after a few episodes.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2014 02:38 PM
BlackZero30x
Jack

It got a whole 1st season. It was ok but the only thing that seems to have not been changed are the names. They really could have taken it a much better direction.

EDIT: and the Dragon in the show was kinda meh. Really didn't seem to have the power like they are portrayed in the books.

Last edited by BlackZero30x on Apr 25th, 2014 at 04:11 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2014 04:08 AM
BlackZero30x
Jack

Originally posted by NemeBro

Like Omega Vision said it gets really good! I think once you pick up steam on the second you will be happy you did. Then the rest of the books are even better. Deadbeat(book 5) and Cold Days(book 14) are my two favorites. The rest are all really good though.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2014 04:15 AM