KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Michael Keaton as Batman better then christian bale?

Michael Keaton as Batman better then christian bale?
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
deepblue

Burton presented his Batman as a dark, mysterious, silent character and Keaton did just that with his stares. I think that's the way he can intimidate with all the limitations his suit gives him. His costume and gadgets were true to the design of the comic book and it worked well for him. His Bruce didn't really clicked to me. It came as dull and boring. The way I see Gotham in this movie is more like a comic book look which works well for that time. I can say the overall look is a great direct adaptation of the comics. Story-wise, it flops for me that I think Burton did all the aesthetics and fitted his story to suit the looks.

Nolan for me on the other hand, created his story first, then fitted Batman into that story - and he really knows how to tell a story. He created his Batman, not from the comic books, but from how he envisioned Batman (if he were real) to exist in our current world/age. I think that's the major gripe most comic book fans have but for us, who weren't really into comics, it works really well. I for one, started looking at comic books and how it portrays Batman after Batman Begins (2005) and I still like Nolan's universe.

Nolan's Batman as I see it, is a persona of exuding with rage and violence but still adheres to his strict code never to kill. What Bale's Batman lacked in the quality of his stares, he made up for with action and Bale's physique is all in for that. I actually liked how the action films in Begins were shown in the eyes of the victims in which you only saw shadows and fists and then you're out. I actually felt fear, as if it were a horror movie with Batman as the scary creature (which was the intent of the film). In TDK and TDKR, we saw the actions as third person and I liked it. Moves not too flashy and were quickly executed, which I think is what Batman in our age will do. While I do think Bale's batvoice is over the top and kind of forced here, I think it works well when he is interrogating crooks (scene on BB where he interrogates Flass hanging upside down). Still I hope he should've used the toned down version of his batvoice for normal conversations, like the one he used when talking to Rachel Dawes at the train station after beating the men sent to kill Rachel. I also liked his batwhisper; the voice he used when he talked to Gordon for the first time (Begins) and when Gordon is in the hospital in TDKR. As for the batsuit, I think I am in the minority who liked the TDK version over the BB version over Keaton's batsuit. He just looks more intimidating in a way that you know his suit is somehow an indestructible armor and not just some rubber suit meant for disguise. I also liked the modern look and feel it gives out. Now on to Bale's Bruce Wayne which he nailed perfectly in my opinion. I just loved how he had 2 peronas as Bruce - the male Paris Hilton version (carefree, arrogant, playboy) and the real him, tortured, calculative, and caring in which I think he conveyed more emotion, more depth to the character. The Tumbler is a beast (looks and function-wise), and works really well with the movie's motif about fear. This Batman doesn't care about looks but all for functionality, and I liked that concept. The setting, well, it is not comic book Gotham but a present-day city. I just see that Nolan is consistent in the version of Batman that he created while telling a really compelling story.

At the end of it all, I think it boils down to personal taste - the direct comic book adaptation or the modern translation of the comic book. Burton or Nolan. I prefer the latter.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2012 06:51 AM
deepblue is currently offline Click here to Send deepblue a Private Message Find more posts by deepblue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

Bale is so superior to Keaton's Batman that it amazes me that it's a competition, imo.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2012 06:12 AM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Keaton was a superior Batman for me; Bale was a better Bruce.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 10th, 2012 06:16 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-

thumb up

Old Post Nov 10th, 2012 08:47 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maham

I was never a Batman fan but after Christopher Nolan's series, I think I've become one. Really like the series and Bale plays the role really well for me. Christian Bale all the way for me. thumb up

P.S. Hate the previous Batman films. whistle

Old Post Dec 12th, 2012 03:34 PM
maham is currently offline Click here to Send maham a Private Message Find more posts by maham Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Bale is so superior to Keaton's Batman that it amazes me that it's a competition, imo.

I cant believe this thread is STILL alive.but that being said,this is what else i cant believe,we actually agree on something about the batman movies.amazing. laughing

you arent kidding on that.Bale is the one and ONLY true Bruce wayne/Batman.all the others are all phony wanna be imposters.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2012 10:05 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by maham
I was never a Batman fan but after Christopher Nolan's series, I think I've become one. Really like the series and Bale plays the role really well for me. Christian Bale all the way for me. thumb up

P.S. Hate the previous Batman films. whistle

as any true Batman fan WOULD.you got good taste. rock thumb up

Like I said,Bale is the one and only true Batman.all the others are phony wanna be imposters.The other batman movies are a disgrace to the comicbook and Burton and Schumacher should be shot for taking a crap on the batman franchise like they did with their montrocities.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2012 10:10 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Keaton was fine as Batman. If someone prefers Bale, all power to them; he played the role well.

Whining about it doesn't change anything.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 12th, 2012 10:51 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Keaton was the best Batman.

Bruce was the best overall Bruce/Batman

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Dec 13th, 2012 01:13 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Wow the usual forced opinion on people deal from Mr Parker.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2012 01:18 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Newjak
Keaton was the best Batman.

Bruce was the best overall Bruce/Batman

Who's this "Bruce" chap? stick out tongue

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 15th, 2012 03:45 PM
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic

Keaton's Batman was so superior to Bale's representation in staggering levels.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2012 06:55 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

Bale's Batman was extremely self-righteous and hypocritical (goes on about how he doesn't kill but has no problem sending people into a coma or breaking all of their bones). That's a major problem with the modern era Batman in general, though, not just his portrayal.

Bale's Bruce Wayne was the best part of his performance, imo. It was A+ work, actually.

If they took Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne and Michael Keaton's Batman (minus the killing) and put them together, it'd be the ultimate portrayal on film.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 01:39 AM
Bat Dude is currently offline Click here to Send Bat Dude a Private Message Find more posts by Bat Dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Keaton was better at Wayne and Batman, imo.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 01:09 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Who's this "Bruce" chap? stick out tongue
See Bale was such a good Bruce Wayne I instinctively link the two interchangeably now stick out tongue

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 01:14 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Keaton was stiff as Bruce Wayne and Batman

Bale was great all around period... He made the role his own and now future adaptations of Bruce/Batman will be forever compared to how Christian Bale portrayed Bruce/Batman

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2013 04:49 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent_Bomber

Keaton was way, way better in both aspects IMO.

Bale's Batman is good and all, but he's really not very intimidating and doesn't have as much presence. Bale's Bruce Wayne is FAR too well adjusted in everyday life to be a masked vigilante who spends his time beating people up, Keaton's Bruce Wayne comes across as pensive, damaged, and volatile, much more apt given the circumstances of his character IMO.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2013 02:19 AM
Silent_Bomber is currently offline Click here to Send Silent_Bomber a Private Message Find more posts by Silent_Bomber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alan smithee

to bales credit he has shown a steady line of well developed characters starting with empire of the sun to american psycho and to the machinist. his range as an actor is greater than keaton.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2013 12:12 AM
alan smithee is currently offline Click here to Send alan smithee a Private Message Find more posts by alan smithee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

My list goes
Adam West #1
Michael Keaton #2
Christian Bale #3

Bale and Keaton more or less tie at 2 but I enjoy what Keaton brought to the role more than what Bale did. Bale just played the role, he was Bruce/batman, cool. But Keaton made the role his own and injected more personality into it. As Bruce he had his moments where he seemed a tad crazy/without a care (threatening the joker, I think. It's been awhile) then as batman seemed more natural despite being in a rubber suit.
Eh my opinion anyway.

GAMMA GIDEON

Respect: -Dynamo 5 -Greed -Noh-Varr/Marvel Boy

Old Post Mar 20th, 2013 02:38 AM
SevenShackles is currently offline Click here to Send SevenShackles a Private Message Find more posts by SevenShackles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

thumb up

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 06:48 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote