KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » "He Could Even Keep the Ones He Cared About From Dying"

"He Could Even Keep the Ones He Cared About From Dying"
Started by: Pyron_Knight

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote:
Carth disagrees about everything. Always.

Truth.

quote:
KotOR 2 also sucked.

Hmm...

Untruth.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zampanó
Carth would disagree. Everyone involved in the Mandalorian War itself would disagree. It is only after the Sith show up that it is considered a mistake at all.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Carths position in the game is 'Revan and Malak ****ing suuuuuck!' The Sith did bomb his planet and indoctrinate his son afterall. Though I admit I can't remember much of it, I think you talk to him about Revan and Malak joining the war at one point.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 09:54 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Nephthys
Untruth.
Retruthed. It sucked.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Carths position in the game is 'Revan and Malak ****ing suuuuuck!' The Sith did bomb his planet and indoctrinate his son afterall. Though I admit I can't remember much of it, I think you talk to him about Revan and Malak joining the war at one point.
Carth was all for Revan and Malak during the war, it's when they invaded that he started hating them.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 09:57 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote:
Retruthed. It sucked.

Gameplay sucked. Story and Characters were the winiest.

quote:
Carth was all for Revan and Malak during the war, it's when they invaded that he started hating them.

Well yeah, so I wonder if he thinks them joining in the war was justified or not. Sure it beat the Mando's, but it spawned the Sith, which I recall him saying were worse than the Mando's ever were.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 10:00 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

It's two separate events. He was all for the Jedi not being bitches and going to war. He was not all for the Jedi turning into Sith and ****ing up the galaxy. You can't really combine the two. Like, at best it would be "I supported Revan and Malak going to war, they did what none of the other Jedi wanted to do. In hindsight, that didn't end too well though."

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 10:03 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I don't see how you can seperate the events myself. One leads into the other. The entire reason why the Jedi didn't enter the war was becuase doing so could lead them right to Revan's position, sparking an even larger war.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 10:08 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Well, I explained how they're separate events... so read above. no expression

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 10:10 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I don't see how you can seperate the events myself. One leads into the other. The entire reason why the Jedi didn't enter the war was becuase doing so could lead them right to Revan's position, sparking an even larger war.
Carth wanted the Jedi to have been involved from the start of the war, and didn't like that the Council kept them out of it. He had a heated discussion with Bastila about it. He felt that if all the people who had died as a result of the Civil War had lived due to the Jedi's potential absence from the Mandalroian War, they would all be speaking Mandalorian.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 10:11 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Revan and KOTOR proved that a complacent and arrogant/ignorant jedi council coincides with the rise(again) of the sith followed by galactic war..

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 11:58 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pyron_Knight
Eater of Worlds

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
[B]How is that "a different spin"? It sounds almost exactly the same.

"Young child is emotionally scarred.

Anakin was never emotionally scarred at a young age.

Hell, neither was Luke.

quote:
Young child grows up to become mentally unstable.

Luke isn't mentally unstable.

quote:
Unstable man becomes over protective of loved ones.

Of one single person, in Anakin's case.

quote:
Unstable man performs extremely rash decisions in an attempt to save loved ones, unwittingly ****ing them in the process."

Pretty sure Anakin knew he was ****ing up Padme when he was choking her.

And KOTOR 1 is completely unoriginal. KOTOR ii had some nice new ideas though.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 12:01 AM
Click here to Send Pyron_Knight a Private Message Find more posts by Pyron_Knight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Pyron_Knight
[B]Anakin was never emotionally scarred at a young age.

He was a slave who grew up with no Father... and was also a slave.

quote:
Of one single person, in Anakin's case.

quote:
Pretty sure Anakin knew he was ****ing up Padme when he was choking her.

Not referring to the choking.

quote:
And KOTOR 1 is completely unoriginal. KOTOR ii had some nice new ideas though.

KOTOR's storyline bored me. Treya's one of the least interesting characters in the mythos, to me.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 12:38 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Well, thats just cuz you suck.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 12:47 AM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Well, thats just cuz you suck.

Nah. She's boring and preachy and heavy handed.

Even the parts about determinism/existentialism are cop outs; the gist of existentialism is that you get to pick your own path, but she bitches at you no matter which path you pick. She's all about knowing the unknowable consequences of your actions, but doesn't look at your own motivations. The whole storyline is, in fact, instigated by her, rather than the protagonist. Talk about irony. It was an interesting area to look at, but not one that is easily examined by a video game that is necessarily driven by the free will of the player.

Also she was a shit combatant.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 01:03 AM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

she was crazy lame.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 01:08 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote:
Also she was a shit combatant.

Really? She was always in my party due to the force bond giving me all her buffs. Really useful ability I found, it enabled me to ignore them for the most part and focus on dealing MASSIVE DAMAGE.

quote:
She's boring

Subjective.

quote:
and preachy

Again, subjective, you can't say she's a crap character just because you didn't like her. Besides, she is your mom*, she's supposed to be preachy.

*metaphisikally.

quote:
and heavy handed.

Lol, did we play the same game?

quote:

Even the parts about determinism/existentialism are cop outs; the gist of existentialism is that you get to pick your own path, but she bitches at you no matter which path you pick.

I personally found that a really interesting contradiction. That she wants you to be a totally free manipulative bastard and hates the Force for taking away free will, but acts like an even bigger manipulative bastard in order to force you to do what she wants you to do.

quote:
She's all about knowing the unknowable consequences of your actions, but doesn't look at your own motivations.

What motivations? The times when she calls you on this you're either being Jesus cuz its the right thing to do, or being a dick for teh luls. Unless you want her to actually just go, 'you're only doing that to max out your alignment, you prick.' You're already called out on your exp points and other various gameplay mechanics, how much more meta do you want this game to get?

quote:
she was crazy lame.

The poor taste up in here is really shocking.

Last edited by Nephthys on Mar 21st, 2011 at 01:22 AM

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 01:16 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

She would have been an interesting character if her motives were clear from the start. But as it was, you had to navigate the frustrating influence system in order to drag out her story. And to do that you have put up with endless conversations on morality, existentialism, the Force, cynicism, etc. And all in the most cryptic way possible. Kreia was easily the most annoying and frustrating character in either game, and yes, I do put her above Carth, Bastila, Mission, Zaalbar, and Visas.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 01:28 AM
Pyron_Knight
Eater of Worlds

[B]He was a slave who grew up with no Father... and was also a slave.

Being a "slave" huh? A slave who can do pretty much anything he wants.

Oh the horror. I guess Anakin really did have it rougher than Cade who saw his family and friends murdered.

quote:

Not referring to the choking.

I have no idea what you mean then.

And who cares about Kreia. I was talking about Nihilus and Sion when it came to new and nice ideas.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 01:30 AM
Click here to Send Pyron_Knight a Private Message Find more posts by Pyron_Knight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

[B]A slave who can do pretty much anything he wants.

According to what? We saw like, a day in his life, and there ulterior circumstances.

That being said, seeing Shmii's fate gave us a taste as what it means to be a slave in Tatooine. Being sold to a fat, legless guy and eventually being dragged off to be raped by Arabs in masks seems to be the fate of slaves on Tatooine.

quote:
I have no idea what you mean then.

Oh... you know... slaughtering the jedi order, killing children and turning the Galaxy over to a mad man, all in an attempt to keep her from dying, and make the galaxy a safer place. He was genuinely surprised when Padme scolded him for his actions on Mustafar instead of going along with his idea that he'd made the Galaxy a better place, which is what led to the choking out in the first place.

Obviously, he was pretty far gone.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 01:34 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Yeah, considering he had enough time to build a pod-racer and a protocol droid by the time he was 10 (?), as well as actually having a decent-sized house, being a slave doesn't seem to have been that bad for Anakin. One of the essential failings of TPM, imo.

quote:
Mission

Mission's cool sir.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 01:34 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Being a "slave" huh? A slave who can do pretty much anything he wants.

Oh the horror. I guess Anakin really did have it rougher than Cade who saw his family and friends murdered.
You've never read the novelizations which mention Anakin's memory of the "crack of Watto's whip". It's something he recollects when he taps the Dark Side in RotS. The same novel/movie where his addled mind kills/alienates everyone he cares for.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 01:35 AM
Pyron_Knight
Eater of Worlds

Oh... you know... slaughtering the jedi order, killing children and turning the Galaxy over to a mad man, all in an attempt to keep her from dying, and make the galaxy a safer place. He was genuinely surprised when Padme scolded him for his actions on Mustafar instead of going along with his idea that he'd made the Galaxy a better place, which is what led to the choking out in the first place.

Obviously, he was pretty far gone. [/B]

That's not really comparable at all to what happened in Legacy though. I guess they're kinda similar insofar as you're willing to go to extreme lengths to keep someoen you care about from dying. But killing some nameless people so you can get a technique to keep a person alive is not the same as what Cade did. Not at all.

Cade actually has the power to save people from death. It's just Azlyn wanted to move on. Cade forcing the person he loves, who wanted to die, to stay alive in a limbo of half-life/half-death, is far more grim.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2011 01:46 AM