KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Link Vs Squall

Link Vs Squall
Started by: Kosmic King

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

FFIX was the best Final Fantasy game. Suck it.

I say this having never played Tactics, FF7 or FF6.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2012 06:16 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Drunkard Kid

FFIX 4 Life.

Game Mechanics wise, Squall wins. Magic Cape + a few MP regening potions <<< 100 Heroes and 100 Holy Wars. If he had some Chateau Romani from Majora's Mask, then it'd be a stalemate for at least 3 days.

Featwise, its trickier since neither of them have really clear feats outside of gameplay.

Dissidia Squall would turn AttP Link to mince in close range, though, but the power levels in that game were wonky for the sake of balance. Not to mention that Squall was basically the Ace in that game. Like hell, Squall would need to lead Bartz and Zidane around like a big brother.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2012 10:19 PM
Drunkard Kid is currently offline Click here to Send Drunkard Kid a Private Message Find more posts by Drunkard Kid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bigboss20

im pretty sure link would pwn squall, link wasnt in a disney related game, and he isnt a whiney emo *****!! plus hed use ether and then just stab the shit out of squall

Old Post Jul 8th, 2012 09:35 PM
bigboss20 is currently offline Click here to Send bigboss20 a Private Message Find more posts by bigboss20 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XanatosForever
Steward of RP

quote: (post)
Originally posted by bigboss20
im pretty sure link would pwn squall, link wasnt in a disney related game, and he isnt a whiney emo *****!! plus hed use ether and then just stab the shit out of squall

Sure you're not confusing your FF heroes there, bub?

-"You have the best problems, Scenario. You really do. haermm"

Old Post Jul 8th, 2012 10:24 PM
XanatosForever is currently offline Click here to Send XanatosForever a Private Message Find more posts by XanatosForever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XanatosForever
Steward of RP

Damn it, why'd I start looking in the backlogs? Oh well, here we go.

ALttP Link's spellcasting is formidable, but I do think it's something Squall could overcome. The link between characters and their Guardian Forces are established early on as canon, with Junctioning being the mechanic to represent the influence of GFs to their compatible partners, even if the rest of it is kept nebulous. By canon, Squall acquires about four GFs: Shiva and Quetzacotl (he starts the story with these two), Ifrit (gained through the final trial to graduate Balamb Garden), and Diablo (Given by Cid via a magic lamp). This means that, at least, Squall will have resistance to ice and fire from Shiva and Ifrit, respectively. This offers a hard counter to the Rods, and Junctioned GFs also offer smaller buffs against other status effects besides their primaries. With the four, I think it'll be enough to keep Squall safe from Link's polymorphing and freezing (is Ether a time stop or a stunning kind of effect?). This isn't factoring in the power of the GFs as a summoning tool for offense.

How does link use the Magic Cape? Can he still attack while under its effects? The Mirror Shield reflects magic, or is it projectiles in general?

I do see this coming down to a sword battle in the end myself, but I could be wrong. Let's see how the debate rolls out.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2013 11:18 AM
XanatosForever is currently offline Click here to Send XanatosForever a Private Message Find more posts by XanatosForever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Scenario
Greater Sci-Fi combatant

Re: Damn it, why'd I start looking in the backlogs? Oh well, here we go.

Let's have a Q&A!

Originally posted by XanatosForever
(is Ether a time stop or a stunning kind of effect?).

The Ether Medallion controls polar winds, allowing it to freeze enemies solid as blocks of ice. Based on what you say about Shiva giving ice resist, I suppose Squall can resist Ether.

quote:

How does link use the Magic Cape? Can he still attack while under its effects?

He wears it, and can still attack while under its effects. Just can't use any other items, so it's basically sword only, IIRC.

quote:

The Mirror Shield reflects magic, or is it projectiles in general?

The Mirror Shield of ALttP doesn't actually reflect anything (that doesn't start until OoT, I think) but it is an upgraded shield that blocks lasers that no other shield could.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2013 05:10 PM
The Scenario is currently offline Click here to Send The Scenario a Private Message Find more posts by The Scenario Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Nephthys
FFIX was the best Final Fantasy game. Suck it.

I say this having never played Tactics, FF7 or FF6.

FFVI is the only one superior to FFIX.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 26th, 2013 05:45 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XanatosForever
Steward of RP

Re: Re: Damn it, why'd I start looking in the backlogs? Oh well, here we go.

Originally posted by The Scenario
Let's have a Q&A!

The Ether Medallion controls polar winds, allowing it to freeze enemies solid as blocks of ice. Based on what you say about Shiva giving ice resist, I suppose Squall can resist Ether.

He wears it, and can still attack while under its effects. Just can't use any other items, so it's basically sword only, IIRC.

The Mirror Shield of ALttP doesn't actually reflect anything (that doesn't start until OoT, I think) but it is an upgraded shield that blocks lasers that no other shield could.

Yeah, if it's ice based, I'm positive Squall can resist it, though he might still take damage if there is any kind of damage effect to it.

This is a distinct advantage, but Squall would probably be smart enough to keep his distance once he realizes melee won't do anything. Even if Link keeps it on to defend against Squall's own magic, it becomes something of a stalemate.

It's got a lot of build-up, but just based on visuals, would the shield be able to block something like this? (Starts at :15)

Old Post Oct 26th, 2013 11:45 PM