KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Best Videogame Cover Art of all time?

Best Videogame Cover Art of all time?
Started by: Erde Kaiser

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
majid86
Restricted

Account Restricted

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 03:27 PM
majid86 is currently offline Click here to Send majid86 a Private Message Find more posts by majid86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Frisky Dingo
Frisky Wolf Lord

quote: (post)
Originally posted by No End N Site
These 2, easily.

Even got parodied. Pretty cool

IMO, this cover was better.stick out tongue

Edayan manged to fit most of the cast on this cover. A WIN in my book.

As for my favorite cover.

The 90's, when covers were actually good.

Saikyo Ryu, LEARN IT!

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 07:17 PM
Frisky Dingo is currently offline Click here to Send Frisky Dingo a Private Message Find more posts by Frisky Dingo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

That last one there looks like something I would've lost a signature battle with about 3 years ago.

Sorry.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 07:26 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Frisky Dingo
Frisky Wolf Lord

^Then you have no taste. no

From the fire to the epic placements of characters and the transparency of Batsu revealing his comrades locked in a struggle filled with death and teenage violence. Just epic!

Saikyo Ryu, LEARN IT!

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 07:58 PM
Frisky Dingo is currently offline Click here to Send Frisky Dingo a Private Message Find more posts by Frisky Dingo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Originally posted by Frisky Dingo
IMO, this cover was better.stick out tongue

Edayan manged to fit most of the cast on this cover. A WIN in my book.

As for my favorite cover.

The 90's, when covers were actually good.

First one: Just because a bunch of people have been shoehorned into a limited space does not mean that effort was a good idea. The monochrome color scheme makes it worse, since no one is picked out and the whole mess just looks pointlessly busy. This is an attention-grabbing game cover, not a "Where's Waldo?" book.

Second: Uh... that dude seems to have a girl-shaped tumor on his face... and once again, monochrome.

Covers may have been good in the 90s, but you ought to pick better examples.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 10:28 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The Batman:Arkham Asylum one is pretty awesome looking.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 10:41 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Define best cover art.

And the Batman one is awful because, well, Batman.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 12:01 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by BackFire
The Batman:Arkham Asylum one is pretty awesome looking.

The Arkham City art so far has been pretty striking too, imo.

Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
Define best cover art.

hmm? you don't like batman?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 12:11 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Define best cover art.

Posts reasons why. Else you will be labeled an ignoramus.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 12:15 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I don't care for the Arkham Asylum cover art because it's too monotone, there's too much mostly empty space in the background, and Batman just standing there glowering does not make for an interesting cover.

It's technically pretty well done, it's just also quite boring to look at.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 12:57 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Originally posted by Impediment
Posts reasons why. Else you will be labeled an ignoramus.

Dislike of Batman not a good reason? o.e

Meh, it's boring. Of all the interesting characters in the game, they only put Batman on the cover? At least the Joker would have made for a nice addition. That and he is just standing there, which is rather dull for a lone cover person. At least InFamous' cover has Cole look like he is walking towards you.

That said, I still don't know what we're judging as a good cover.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 01:22 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

Dislike of Batman not a good reason? o.e

Aside from instantly invalidating any and all subsequent argumets, no.

Anyway, there are worse games that did worse jobs on the same approach for worse reasons. No reason to bring up Arkham Asylum without mentioning Dante's Inferno, Bayonetta, Warrior Within, Yakuza 3, Ninja Gaiden Black, among others.

'Sides, it's still not as disappointing as God of War III's box art, which not only broke the tradition of an otherwise interesting consistency, but was done so for the stupidest reasons.

Last edited by BloodRawEngine on Apr 25th, 2011 at 01:43 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 01:33 AM
BloodRawEngine is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRawEngine a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRawEngine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Frisky Dingo
Frisky Wolf Lord

Originally posted by General Kaliero
First one: Just because a bunch of people have been shoehorned into a limited space does not mean that effort was a good idea. The monochrome color scheme makes it worse, since no one is picked out and the whole mess just looks pointlessly busy. This is an attention-grabbing game cover, not a "Where's Waldo?" book.

Second: Uh... that dude seems to have a girl-shaped tumor on his face... and once again, monochrome.

Covers may have been good in the 90s, but you ought to pick better examples.

You have no eye for exceptional art as it pertains to a particular subject. sad

Not only this, you are factually incorrect in much of your post. Thus, your opinion on this matter is worthless.

Saikyo Ryu, LEARN IT!

Last edited by Frisky Dingo on Apr 25th, 2011 at 01:46 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 01:41 AM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
Aside from instantly invalidating any and all subsequent argumets, no.

Anyway, there are worse games that did worse jobs on the same approach for worse reasons. No reason to bring up Arkham Asylum without mentioning Dante's Inferno, Bayonetta, Warrior Within, Yakuza 3, etc.

'Sides, it's still not as disappointing as God of War III's box art.

Better to be openly biased than not.

Arkham Asylum has more of a reason to be critiqued however as it is the only one that has actually been posted(I think?). Bayonetta is worse though, far worse.

lol Kratos' left eye is such an attention grabber and really does sell it huh?

Edit: Cover art really depends on the game and needs to be judged by those standards in my opinion. In that regard, I would rather have my fighting games have a lot of characters on the front to see my options. Or a fantasy game where I can see this strange fantastic world to explore. Or stuff.

Last edited by AuraAngel on Apr 25th, 2011 at 01:47 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 01:44 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I also like the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm cover.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 01:52 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

You have no eye for exceptional art as it pertains to a particular subject. sad

Not only this, you are factually incorrect in much of your post. Thus, your opinion on this matter is worthless.

You want a good example of a "cast shot" fighter cover?

A large group of fighters present, but not mashed together in a confusing morass of colors. Each character is given enough space to show off for themselves a little, and the skewed camera angle and speed lines converging on a third line gives the entire scene a dynamic energy. While not perfect, the characters' posing and arrangement does a decent job of guiding the viewer's eye around the scene (from Pit down to Link, through Pikachu, Mario, and Samus to the title) and the color selection is altogether vibrant and eye-catching. It's not great, but it is very good.

And to their credit, there are no girl-tumor faces present.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 01:53 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Frisky Dingo
Frisky Wolf Lord

Originally posted by General Kaliero
You want a good example of a "cast shot" fighter cover?

A large group of fighters present, but not mashed together in a confusing morass of colors. Each character is given enough space to show off for themselves a little, and the skewed camera angle and speed lines converging on a third line gives the entire scene a dynamic energy. While not perfect, the characters' posing and arrangement does a decent job of guiding the viewer's eye around the scene (from Pit down to Link, through Pikachu, Mario, and Samus to the title) and the color selection is altogether vibrant and eye-catching. It's not great, but it is very good.

And to their credit, there are no girl-tumor faces present.

Is this some kind of joke?! Doom is not amused mad

That is quite honestly one of the worst, most boring covers of them all. You need to play more fighters, chap. For one, that sort of background is overused and looks rather cheap in this day and age. Next up, the art and style isn't really that good, looks like mediocre fan art. 3rd, the characters don't even look like they're drewn by the same person, the entire cover looks like a cut and paste job. Not to mention a painful lack of "epicness", the background's a bright light yet has no dynamic affects on the characters.

My covers have brilliant character placement and tell a snippet of the story. It let the consumers know who the heroes were and who the villains were. The colors are bright and sharp.

Saikyo Ryu, LEARN IT!

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 02:16 AM
Peach
mordrem

Is this some kind of joke?! Doom is not amused mad

That is quite honestly one of the worst, most boring covers of them all. You need to play more fighters, chap. For one, that sort of background is overused and looks rather cheap in this day and age. Next up, the art and style isn't really that good, looks like mediocre fan art. 3rd, the characters don't even look like they're drewn by the same person, the entire cover looks like a cut and paste job. Not to mention a painful lack of "epicness", the background's a bright light yet has no dynamic affects on the characters.

My covers have brilliant character placement and tell a snippet of the story. It let the consumers know who the heroes were and who the villains were. The colors are bright and sharp.

The characters in the SSBB cover look like they do in the game. They all originally come from different games with different art styles, and that fact was retained for SSBB's art style. And in fact the bright lighting of the background is reflected on the characters. See those shadows and highlights? Yeah.

Whereas a jumble of random characters, all colored the same, placed in such a way where if you're lucky you can see half a face, and a mediocre logo slapped in the middle covering up most of it...no, there's absolutely no way that's a good design at all. Nor is a bunch of faded images superimposed over a face; that looks like some newbie teenager just got Photoshop and is freaking out over being able to use layers.

A jumbled mess is not epic.

Seriously, this is basic stuff. Things you'd learn in any standard "art for beginners" class that everyone takes in high school.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Last edited by Peach on Apr 25th, 2011 at 02:24 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 02:22 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Originally posted by Peach
Seriously, this is basic stuff. Things you'd learn in any standard "art for beginners" class that everyone takes in high school.

Will point out I went to a crappy high school...so yeah. stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 02:32 AM
MadMel
Heh

That might depend on where you went to school.

All I learned in art was how to sleep in a room with high reverb. XD

Not because I was lazy, but because we didn't learn a damn thing.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 02:40 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote