KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » PSN down due to hackers

PSN down due to hackers
Started by: EvilTyrant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Day 8 and the PSN is still offline.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 28th, 2011 10:36 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
"Captain Obvious" to the rescue:

http://www.businessinsider.com/play...-minimal-2011-4

PlayStation Network Down: Financial Impact to Sony Minimal

Wait, so you mean to tell me that an outage that lasted 1/52 of the year, resulted in a minimal loss? laughing

Worst case scenario, they lost 1/52 of their online revenues. Media downloading is really low this time of year so they aren't going to even scratch the 1/52 number.
I think you've missed the point, lol. Who gives a shit about Sony?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 29th, 2011 02:20 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Originally posted by Impediment
Day 8 and the PSN is still offline.

They said it'll be back next Tuesday

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Apr 29th, 2011 02:21 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

I wonder how fans of PS3 feel about their "free" PSN service now as opposed to the paid service of XBL Gold after this incident...

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Apr 29th, 2011 03:55 AM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

Dun really care lol. I had neither accurate private information, nor credit card info, so its only affecting me with PSN being down, which happens to both PSN and Live

Though it's probable Sony may implement a paid service after this debacle.

Howdy!

Old Post Apr 29th, 2011 04:24 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I think you've missed the point, lol. Who gives a shit about Sony?

Touche.

I've been thoroughly pwned.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2011 07:09 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

KNEEL BEFORE BLAX! -froths-

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 29th, 2011 07:14 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Dun really care lol. I had neither accurate private information, nor credit card info, so its only affecting me with PSN being down, which happens to both PSN and Live

Glad to hear your info wasn't jeopardizd but...Live has never been down for more than 1 day even when heavy maintenance is on.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Apr 30th, 2011 12:25 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

Originally posted by Zack Fair
Glad to hear your info wasn't jeopardizd but...Live has never been down for more than 1 day even when heavy maintenance is on.

O rly

The internet has lied to me then.

Howdy!

Old Post Apr 30th, 2011 12:32 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
O rly

The internet has lied to me then.

(please log in to view the image)

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Apr 30th, 2011 12:35 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

laughing out loud

Old Post Apr 30th, 2011 02:20 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

So....

PSN 'Welcome Back' Program Gives You Free Content

quote:
During a press conference tonight in Tokyo, Sony detailed what it will reward PlayStation Network users when the service is turned back on next week after being shut down due to an illegal intrusion.

Sony announced its "Welcome Back" program worldwide, giving all existing PlayStation Network users 30 days of PlayStation Plus for free. Current PSN+ members will receive 30 days of additional service for free. It will also provide "selected PlayStation entertainment content" for free download. Details for each region will be announced at a later date. Music Unlimited subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

"This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry," said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. "These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers' information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks.

"Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services."

Sony also said it is working with the FBI criminal investigation to track down who hacked the network. The company re-confirmed it does not believe credit card information was taken, but says customers should keep an eye on their bank statements. Of the 78 million PSN users, roughly 10 million had active credit cards on their account.

When the Network goes live next week, users must download a new system firmware update and will ask users to create a new password. Sony will also do a phased rollout by region for PSN services. Next week's initial rollout includes:

- Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation 3 and PSP systems. This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games

- Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers. Sony will have a phased rollout by region for PlayStation Network next week. The services that will be available include:

- Access to account management and password reset

- Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo

- PlayStation Home

- Friends List

- Chat Functionality

PSN back up this week, PlayStation Plus free for 30 days

quote:
Sony has announced that the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services will be coming back online this week. When this week? Sony didn't specify. The restoration of the network will be implemented in phases between regions, so it won't all be back up at once and it was specified which regions will be getting the service back first. Expect a forced system software update once you sign in which will require all users to change their passwords.

The services you should expect to see back will include online game-play functionality for the PS3 and PSN, access to Qriocity, access to account management, access to un-expired movie rentals, PlayStation Home (THANK GOD), friends list and chat functions. The PlayStation Store, however, will still be down and is (vaguely) scheduled to be back sometime "this month."

To make up for the downtime, Sony will be offering a complimentary "Welcome Back" appreciation program for all PlayStation Network and Qriocity users. Sony will be giving out "selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download," 30 days free membership to PlayStation Plus for new and current PS Plus subscribers and 30 days free service to Qriocity subscribers. The "Welcome Back" offerings will be "rolled out over the coming weeks."

Here's what Sony has done to beef up security and what they're doing for everyone effected by the credit cards leaks.

First off, Sony is creating a new position of Chief Information Security Officer whom will be reporting directly to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation. On top of this, Sony worked closely with several security firms and have new security measures in place to detect intrusions to the network.

Some of the new security measures include "automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks," enhanced levels of data protection, encryption and software that can detect intrusions within the network. There's also more firewalls. You can never have enough firewalls. The company has even gone as far as moving to a new data center in a location that "has been under construction and development for several months."

As for any potential credit card thefts, Sony will provide users with complimentary assistance to enroll in identity theft protection services. Still, I'd recommend you all to cancel/update your cards if you haven't done so already.

One final note, and an obvious one at that, Sony is working with law enforcement agencies to track down and prosecute the individuals responsible for the illegal intrusion. Kaz Hirai spoke of the cyber attacks in a press release stating "These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers' information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data.

In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks."

What do you think? Do you feel Sony is making things up to you in the right way or is it a case of too little, too late?

Sounds just about right to me

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post May 1st, 2011 07:10 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

Well, they seem to be earnestly trying anyway.

Howdy!

Old Post May 1st, 2011 03:53 PM
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Shit happens, Japan are a couple years behind in their home gaming system architecture (No! don't argue, this is the evidence, notice how XBL has never been in danger of a catastrophic system shutdown such as this). But they try really hard and im sure next-gen, problems like this will be impossible.

Old Post May 1st, 2011 05:47 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Yeah, well, next time maybe they won't store customer data in plain-text so that it's much, much harder for it to be compromised.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post May 1st, 2011 06:48 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Free PlayStation Plus.

Woo.

Old Post May 1st, 2011 07:06 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Old Post May 2nd, 2011 11:01 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

Honestly the only thing keeping me from getting a 360 this instance is the fact that I'm going to have to pay monthly charges for games I don't really play.

If anything, I learned from this experience that free isn't always better.

Old Post May 2nd, 2011 11:08 PM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Honestly the only thing keeping me from getting a 360 this instance is the fact that I'm going to have to pay monthly charges for games I don't really play.

If anything, I learned from this experience that free isn't always better.

So then don't get Live? You're not required to have it. I only pay for mine a few months of the year, if that.

Old Post May 2nd, 2011 11:21 PM
Impediment
Endless

F*ck you, Sony. F*ck you very much.

I think I'll log on so I can take off my credit card number.

Oh, wait.......

Old Post May 2nd, 2011 11:27 PM