KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Game Math.

Game Math.
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ares834

You had me untill here:
quote: (post)
Originally posted by Burning thought
2177883.376 / 1.3558179483314004 = Pounds per square foot

This just confuses me. What are you doing here? What does the number 1.3558179483314004 signify?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2011 11:29 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Its 1 foot pound in jouls.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2011 11:30 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

K then it's not quite correct.

You should have 1606324 foot-pounds not pounds per square feet.

Foot-pounds are a unit of energy while PSF is a unit of pressure.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2011 11:39 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

So how would you find out the pressure from there?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2011 11:41 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Can't really. I'd recomend using F=MA to find the force. The hard part here of course is finding A. Then find the square area and divide F/SA and you will have pressure.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2011 11:46 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

So the square area of what its striking? or of the object that is striking? for example if I was punching a cement block of about 1 meter cubed or w/e would I be finding the square area of the impact? e.g. my knuckles?

If I was picking it up, or flipping it over would I be calculating the square area that my fingers/hands touch it? Once I know this I can try and get A I guess.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2011 11:51 PM
ares834

Square area of the contact. So in that example yes, your knuckles assuming they are the only part of your fist that contacts the cement.

Edit: And yes it would be the square area that your hands touch. However, in that case im unsure why you want pressure...

Old Post Jul 25th, 2011 11:53 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ok thanks. Not sure how to calculate the acceleration but I may as well ask here since I started here. This is what I am calculating;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzjc...related#t=3m50s

Now starting from about 3:56 and ending at 3;57 Raziel pulls it up with his finger tips or hands (three digits, two claws and a thumblike one) what would you say the acceleration is? I assume were mathing the object to find out how much force moved it? so the acceleration of the object not Raziel?

Part 1; Below at the beginning at 3;56 he goes from little speed to lifting it to his chest, so roughply 1.4-1.5 meters in what? 0.3-0.4 seconds I dont know.

(please log in to view the image)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Second phase 2. Nearing the end, at 3;57 he pushes it, giving it the energy to travel another meter, half meter before the full second ends but of course its own weight takes a lot of force on the way down but seems to bounce back up suggesting some of his force was added perhaps. not sure.

(please log in to view the image)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So about 1.5 meters in less than a second, and in the rest of one second gives it the energy to go further until its weight takes it in the fall. Would I have to find the acceleration of the block during the entire thing? including its own weight taking it? or just the parts that Raziel obviously influenced?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 12:07 AM
dadudemon

That's going to be a lever calculation.

And since the mass of the object will help due to gravity, you'd just need to find the force generated by him picking up one side which is not as much as picking the whole thing up at once.

Meh...I could sit here and figure that out, but it would take too long.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 12:12 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Damn... That's a hard one. I won't really be able to help you here. Sorry.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 12:17 AM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
That's going to be a lever calculation.

And since the mass of the object will help due to gravity, you'd just need to find the force generated by him picking up one side which is not as much as picking the whole thing up at once.

Meh...I could sit here and figure that out, but it would take too long.

What would it take to convince you to do it?

Or at least, give some foundations? stick out tongue By one side, do you mean just half the weight? or one side as an angle of the other or something? e.g. weight on one side of the "lever"?

Based on it apprently taking too long, I doubt its as easy as that?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 12:26 AM
leonheartmm

you need to use quite a LOT of calculus to find the force applied through a moving point in a lever to give the kind of CHANGING acceleration that the block/lever has to a CHANGING centre of gravity. the system isnt chaotic but thats still a lot of calculus. also, the determination of those figures is very hard from just observing the game on screen.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 12:51 AM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

I think I glanced over it, but what was the question again?

Also, could we try to stick to SI units when discussing these things? Suddenly seeing "pounds" in the middle of calculations is really annoying.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 07:31 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

The force Raziel (the blue guy) uses to flip up the 300 ton block across its axis. Were calculating acceleration in the block up until the point weight of the axis completly takes over. In 1 second, as shown above Raziel puts his fingers under it and lifts it up to his chest/lower neck and then pushes it so acceleration+actual weight Raziel takes (since not all of it is on him due to it being a lever).

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 08:19 AM
Morridini
Morridini

Right, so for simplicity we could start by assuming that he does in fact lift the entire one (compensate for the lever later). So the force Raziel uses must be F = Mg + Ma = M(a+g), where M=3x10^5 kg, g=10 m/s^2, and a is unknown.

He lifts it to his chest, so let's say that that's x=1.5 meters, in one second, making the velocity 1.5 m/s, we can then use the classic formula; x = x0 + v0*t + 0.5a*t^2 and solve for (here x0=v0=0) a=2x/t^2 which give us an acceleration of a = 3 m/s^2

Resulting in a force of N = 3x10^5 *(10+3) kgm/s^2= 3.9x10^6 N = 3.9 mega Newton.

In order to compensate for the lever, someone should make a force diagram where we decompose the force in an x- and y- direction. But I'm a bit busy to do that now.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 09:55 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nice, thanks man for the work done. To tell you the truth this math is beyond me. I understand to some degree what your doing in practice but I dont understand how I could get around doing it myself.

So without taking into account the lever, if I get his right Raziel creates a force of 3.9 mega Newton to move it?

I assume once we get the pressure do we find out how much force based on the area of his hands/surface he pulls the object with to get how much force hes actually putting through his hands to get the movement?

Last edited by Burning thought on Jul 26th, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 11:19 AM
Morridini
Morridini

Nice, thanks man for the work done. To tell you the truth this math is beyond me. I understand to some degree what your doing in practice but I dont understand how I could get around doing it myself.

Practice makes perfect.

So without taking into account the lever, if I get his right Raziel creates a force of 3.9 mega Newton to move it?

Yes, or well, he uses that much to raise the mass 1.5 meters in 1 second, other distances over other time intervals would result in different answers.

I assume once we get the pressure do we find out how much force based on the area of his hands/surface he pulls the object with to get how much force hes actually putting through his hands to get the movement?

I'm lost again, what are you after? With my calculation above (lots of simplifications made), he pushes upwards with a force of 3.9 MN, using both hands (I guess, I never looked at the video, just the screenshots), so unless one arm is stronger then the other, I assume he push upwards with a force of 1.95 MN from each hand, was that what you were after?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 11:59 AM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Morridini
Practice makes perfect.

Yes, or well, he uses that much to raise the mass 1.5 meters in 1 second, other distances over other time intervals would result in different answers.

I'm lost again, what are you after? With my calculation above (lots of simplifications made), he pushes upwards with a force of 3.9 MN, using both hands (I guess, I never looked at the video, just the screenshots), so unless one arm is stronger then the other, I assume he push upwards with a force of 1.95 MN from each hand, was that what you were after?

I am trying to find pressure, such as PSI, pascal etc made by his hands pushing the surface, so he uses 3.9MN to pull the thing up but how much actual pressure is his hands exerting on the similiar area?

This is the first calculation you see to get his actual strength or power, from there I want to find out how much pressure he can exert in certain strikes, e.g. claw slashes, punches etc.

If pressure= force/area then that would give us 3.9MN/ area of his hands would it not?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 12:02 PM
Morridini
Morridini

That's correct.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 12:03 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

The hard part in that calc is getting the actual area of his hands in meters squared, since their not like human hands, having 2 less digits but being large clawlike things.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 12:13 PM