KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Nvidia: PC Gaming Revenue Will Surpass Consoles In 2014

Nvidia: PC Gaming Revenue Will Surpass Consoles In 2014
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
§P0oONY

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Nice quote considering Rage is a very good example of the bad qualities of PC.

Look at the Rage Steam forums and news articles criticizing ID Software for releasing a buggy game. The majority of people are experience incredibly bad texture pop-in, horrible screen tearing and stuttering.

I have the game for the PC and those issues are true.

As I said before, both systems have ups and downs. It's based on preference.

As well, it's true that PC have innovation and such but there's a cost associated to that innovation. You need to buy the upgraded cards/CPU's to take advantage of them.
You do realise that Rage is just a poor Console port? This game does not show any of the PCs flaws... just that of lazy game developers.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 05:08 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

"Rage on PC is actually a decent game."

Despite one of the worse launches in years, a good game is hiding under a tonne of graphical issues..

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/...ecent-game.aspx

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 09:29 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, I never said it was a bad game. I'm playing it right now and enjoying it.

But it's an example about the problems with PC gaming. You get these issues more times than console.

And it's bullshit blaming these problems on consoles. Id Software ****ed up plain and simple.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 01:00 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

I just picked up rage today and i did see the issues. the tearing the texture pop ups.

the lack of video options blew.

i thought idtech 5 was gonna blow me away but it didn't. but i haven't given up on it though. it's the first time the engines being used so. it seemed as if things, like the rocks, weren't in high def from up close yet from afar they looked crisp.

but i gotta say the sky is the best looking i've ever seen in video games ever. if only those clouds weren't static. if they moved they that would've been just perfect. but i still found myself stopping every once in a while just to look up at it for the sky just for the sake of it's beauty.

Animations were good too. We'll just have to wait for the patch.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 7th, 2011 08:00 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The animations are killer.

But as you pointed out, the textures looks like shit up close.

Which is a problem because 3/4 quarters of the game is up close.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 11:12 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

did you notice that too?

and what happened to the "virtual texturing" feature inside the id tech 5 engine that was supose to solve this issue.

maybe rage was made just to see what they would fix within the engine so the can optimize it for doom 4.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 05:52 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

After reading a few things it's something to do with what Id Software calls, "megatextures".

It's a different way to apply and create textures in games. That's the reason why textures look like shit up close, the texture pop-in and such.

Games 4-5 years ago have better textures than Rage.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 02:56 PM
FistOfThe North

There's always this..

"How To Unlock Rage's High Resolution Textures With A Few Simple Tweaks"

http://www.geforce.com/News/article...w-simple-tweaks

And then there's this..

id Software Releases RAGE Patch, (on 10/10) Carmack Curses.

ha. i still respect the man though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/RA...ming,13653.html

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 05:51 PM
S_D_J
Bane

I don't think that's going to happen (PC games outselling consoles). While PC games always will look better than consoles games, there's the fact that PC never ceases to evolve and games can not be run properly on old hardware, and sometimes old hardware is six moths erm

It cost much more than it does to maintain a console. Hardcore gamer are not the only ones buying games, I doubt someone who games regularly ( I don't mean casual mother/grandpa gamers) will be willing to invest as much time and money to play on a PC.

what happens when the next gen console arrive and they're on par with current PCs?, sure that will only last like a year tops, but still

There's also streaming gaming, no need for console or expensive Gaphics Cards, MoBos or Rams... that could catch on

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 07:23 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The same old excuse that you always need to update your computer.

If you want to play newer games with extremely high resolutions and top of the line settings then yes, you might need to upgrade your vid card every year or so but medium settings and 1600x1050 graphics still look better than consoles and that's a 4 year old computer.

It's all about optimization in games.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2011 02:22 AM