KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Spike Video Game Awards (2011)

Spike Video Game Awards (2011)
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

quote: (post)

Is that a standard def screen shot? Elena's hair looks kinda bad their but it didn't look that bad when I was playing it.

Anyway far as video game hair goes, Uncharted 3 pretty top of the line, I mean just compare it to the models in Assassin's Creed Revelations or something and try your best to keep down your lunch. It's not Heavy Rain quality hair, but its not trying to be, Uncharted 3 has a stylized realism, the characters look real enough but still have enough of a cartoon esq exaggeration to their features that they avoid the dead eyes and uncanny valley that you see in stuff like Heavy Rain and the with faces in LA Noir, and all those creep Zemekis movies.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 03:42 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I see nothing wrong with the hair.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 04:01 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

There isn't anything wrong with it. As far as video game hair goes it's pretty high up there, it just doesn't look like this:

(please log in to view the image)

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 04:04 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

Originally posted by Zack Fair
I see nothing wrong with the hair.

That's because there IS nothing wrong with her hair.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 04:10 AM
General G is currently offline Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Is that a standard def screen shot? Elena's hair looks kinda bad their but it didn't look that bad when I was playing it.

Anyway far as video game hair goes, Uncharted 3 pretty top of the line, I mean just compare it to the models in Assassin's Creed Revelations or something and try your best to keep down your lunch. It's not Heavy Rain quality hair, but its not trying to be, Uncharted 3 has a stylized realism, the characters look real enough but still have enough of a cartoon esq exaggeration to their features that they avoid the dead eyes and uncanny valley that you see in stuff like Heavy Rain and the with faces in LA Noir, and all those creep Zemekis movies.

That's actually from a CG trailer. Which I've seen a billion times because we had it playing on a loop.

There's no reason for it to look like that. Uncharted does not impress me at all.

(also, it's kind of funny, because this is the only place I point out that their models are crap and people disagree)

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 04:22 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

All the cuts scenes in Uncharted are run off the in game engine with the in game assets, there is no pre rendered cg.

Honestly you are the first person I have even heard say it. Even people who rag on Uncharted for "not being a game" give it props for it's amazing graphics and character models. Half the people I know in real life are animators and the other half are illustrators or concept artists and I can't think of a single of of them who has seen the game who thought the character models were anything short of mind blowing... and artists usually love to talk shit about other peoples work, especially if it is main stream and the artist is more successful. lol

Even my cousin who is a shameless X-Bot admitted it looked better than Gears... and I was so shocked I thought the world might end there on the spot.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 04:32 AM
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I personally would never have given Skyrim GOTY for some of the reason you mentioned. It's buggy and the graphics suck, but that said I think the story is decent and I think the game play is fun and addictive.

Did pieces of paper blowing around really enhance your play through of Arkham City? I didn't play AC on the pc but I've seen the side by side video comparisons and it isn't enough of an improvement over the console version to say it looks better than Uncharted 3. Also I much prefer the stylized realism of the Uncharted 3 facial animations and lip synching to LA Noir's creepy wooden mo-cap work. LA Noir might deserve some sort of award for the tech they used for mo capture, but a graphics award? Aside from the facial animations it has the same sub par GTA / Assassins Creed level graphics. I have a decently powerful rig, I played The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex on my PC at max settings and they of course looked beautiful... but nothing beats Uncharted on a 70 inch tv... except for Uncharted on 80 inch tv but I don't have that.

I'll just have disagree with you on skyrim being fun and addictive. Even with all the hype pre-release I was reluctant to give it a chance, thanks to oblivion, but went ahead and did so, put in about 10 hours over a few days and said forget this for the reasons i've mentioned above. So i'm done with elder scorlls. I'll give it another chance in 10 years.

And physx isn't only about pieces of paper blowing around. It allows for real world (physical) activities that make the game look more, bellieveable visually. It does enhance the experience and mood.

Particles like smoke or flare smoke, which moves and looks just about realistic as it does in the real world, (see Mafia 2 cigarrette smoke, you could almost swear that the programmers somehow copy and pasted video of real cig smoke and programmed into the game, metro 2033 smoke looks even more convincing). There's interaction with particles and light and it's effects. Like for example if you have dust blow through some light rays indoors, physx tech would blot out that certain part of the ray that's being affected by the dust. The way leaking or spurting gas looks like from a broken pipeline underground and the gust it causes. You have real world wind gusts, debris flying around, broken glass shaterring to pieces and not dissappearing into thin air afterwards like they do without physx. All unscripted and in accordance to whatever in game experienced caused the actions all in real time.

It may not be the end all determining factor on whether or not to play the game but it does give you that extra sense of credibility and immersion. And games like that have a higher replay value than the norm. And this is just the start. On the other hand Epic games is trying to master complex image based lighting, with point light reflections and depth of field. real world/ real time style. They're doing things with water and hair unheard of.

Now imagine that mixed with a more advanced version of physx and then tell me if your gameplay experienced is enhanced.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 05:22 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Lol at people bawing about Skyrim making Game of the Year.

Crai moar.

Battlefield 3 probably deserved best shooter though, I base this only on the manly ass shit Blax showed me in the game.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 05:32 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

Originally posted by Peach
That's actually from a CG trailer. Which I've seen a billion times because we had it playing on a loop.

There's no reason for it to look like that. Uncharted does not impress me at all.

(also, it's kind of funny, because this is the only place I point out that their models are crap and people disagree)

Maybe because saying the character models of a game are crap is saying quite a deal about a game where the graphics look fantastic and are, as srank said, praised even by competitive game companies.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 05:49 AM
General G is currently offline Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I can't think of many games with better character models than Uncharted.

I don't even like the series. Drake is a douchebag.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 05:50 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

Hate the series lol And you can't think of many because there aren't many wink

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 06:09 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Skyrim and Arkham City both deserved GotY, so as long as one of them won, I'm cool with that.

Same here, and yay @ Mortal Kombat 9 beating out MvsC 3, even though it was to be expected.

Pretty much agree on the other things you said too.

Originally posted by Digi
Fist, no one takes award shows seriously to begin with. Everyone could find gripes if we actually thought it represented a fully objective scoring system.

Also, this, and stuff.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 12:34 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Arkham City deserved GotY, in my opinion.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 04:10 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Originally posted by Peach

oh my! you thought that was CG?

that goes to show the quality of the Uncharted visuals

Anyways:
Originally posted by Impediment

I guess people love quantity over quality erm

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 04:41 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

The moment I read MW3 win over BF3 for "Best Shooter", I knew this award show was a joke.

Spike VGA is more like a popularity contest or a beauty pageant.

The games that win are the bestsellers/most popular.

Replay value, gameplay, graphics?
Throw those essentials out of the window. That's Spike VGA.

My advice:
Take these so-called "expert reviews" and "award shows" with a pinch of salt.
Check 'em out and try the games yourself.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 05:37 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Yeah, Arkham City should've won it. Something kept telling me that Skyrim was gonna take it, though, with they way they kept on about it at the show from the beginning... And COD too. Which beat bf3 as best shooter, another rob win.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 05:53 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by S_D_J
I guess people love quantity over quality erm

I love quality. That's why I named Arkham City.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 06:48 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

I love quality. That's why I named Arkham City.

yep, my GOTY as well

Skyrim is about quantity

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 09:05 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by S_D_J
yep, my GOTY as well

Skyrim is about quantity

Just like the vga's were. It's why it won.

it's nothing but a pop awards show anyway, so go figure. the music celebrities were the worst part.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 12th, 2011 09:54 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Arkham City and Skyrim are both acceptable.

Anything else winning this year would have been a joke.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2011 12:52 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote