KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Kirk's religion?

Kirk's religion?
Started by: SWblayde938

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SWblayde938

Kirk's religion?

im not knowledgeable about the show that much, but i did love the movie.... what i know is james t. kirk the main character was originally played by william shatner who is jewish

and chris pine has russian jewish origins as well

now i know this means absolutely nothing, the actor's religion/ethnicity does not= the character's ethnicity... but i was just wondering

does it ever mention kirk's religion... is he jewish.. is he christian....? is he atheist, seeing as he travels to many planets and stuff..?

is kirk just a typical white guy born in riverside iowa (wikipedia is helpful sometimes..lol)

Old Post May 2nd, 2012 04:04 AM
SWblayde938 is currently offline Click here to Send SWblayde938 a Private Message Find more posts by SWblayde938 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

I believe Gene Roddenberry once said, "In Star Trek's future the world is Atheist and they're better for it!"

That may not be an exact quote but it was something to that effect.

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post May 2nd, 2012 07:57 AM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Yeah, Earth in the future is highly not religious.

There was an episode of ST:TNG where the Enterprise lands on a planet inhabited by a primitive Vulcan-like race; it deals with how they did away with religion despite still being at a stone-age level of technology and how fear can lead back to religion/belief.

Captain Picard makes some comment on how they'd be transgressing if they started to believe in make-believe beings (gods) again.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on May 2nd, 2012 at 05:31 PM

Old Post May 2nd, 2012 05:29 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Yet it was considered a very big deal to meet God (allegedly) beyond the galactic barrier in Star Trek: The Final Frontier.

Then again, ST:TFF is easily the worst film in the series, so nothing in there counts.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 2nd, 2012 06:47 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

There is an old episode were Kirk says we are happy with just the one god. I don't remember the episode.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2013 10:42 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

The religiosity of Federation Earth or lack thereof is inconsistent, but Roddenberry always intended the people of the Federation to be essentially non-religious but open minded. I think though that (as many otherwise non-religious people are) Roddenberry was still influenced by certain Christian sensibilities, and this was compounded in TOS by network interference. (The ending of Bread and Circuses is almost a Christian tract--the world they visited is "saved" because the Gospel of Christ is upon them).

It's a bit like Phillip Pullman, author of His Dark Materials. At one point he said "Yes, I'm an atheist, but I'm a Church of England Atheist."

An interesting moment comes in DS9 where Sisko's father quotes the Bible and there's the slight suggestion that he actually believes the words. Of course that was a weird (but good) episode, and Deep Space Nine is the Trek series that's defined by breaking all the rules of what constitutes a Trek series.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 02:18 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Kirk was his own religion. "I am Kirok!"

Btw ... Kirk is of Old Norse and Old German origin, and the meaning of Kirk is "church." In Scotland, "kirk" is used to mean "church."

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Nov 8th, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Old Post Nov 8th, 2013 12:36 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

"There are thick mirk-woods on ilka side; the river, dark an’ awesome, an’ whirling round an’ round in mossy eddies, sweeps away behind it; an’ there is an auld burying-ground, wi’ the broken ruins o’ an auld Papist kirk, on the tap. Ane can see amang the rougher stanes the rose-wrought mullions of an arched window, an’ the trough that ance held the holy water."

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2013 09:56 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Captain Picard makes some comment on how they'd be transgressing if they started to believe in make-believe beings (gods) again.

Picard on religion, in general and him dispelling that he's not a Supreme Being:

(Again, Patrick Stewart shows why he is such a great actor).

Picard realizes Q is not God because he believes in some sort of intelligent guiding hand in the universe (something he views Q incapable of doing):

Picard also had a very eloquent soliloquy regarding God, Afterlife, etc. I cannot find a youtube vid. It is TNG: Where Silence has a Lease. Picard believes in a superior form of an afterlife. One that is not "nothingness" and one that is not as simple as a "heaven-hell" result. He's a Mormon. hahahaha

Old Post Nov 13th, 2013 12:02 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Originally posted by roughrider
Yet it was considered a very big deal to meet God (allegedly) beyond the galactic barrier in Star Trek: The Final Frontier.

Then again, ST:TFF is easily the worst film in the series, so nothing in there counts.

IIRC, that godlike entity was retconned as being an associate of Q in one of the Q novels.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2013 05:42 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by dadudemon
(Again, Patrick Stewart shows why he is such a great actor).
Nobody does the Captain's Sneer like Picard. Heck, I think he invented it (it out-impacts even the Conroy Batman Smirk).

Old Post Nov 13th, 2013 06:02 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Kirk believes in a God and it's Picard. This is why when they eventually meet up, Kirk sacrifices himself for Picard. All hail and then tug down your shirt.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 15th, 2013 03:19 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Kirk believes in a God and it's Picard. This is why when they eventually meet up, Kirk sacrifices himself for Picard. All hail and then tug down your shirt.

Yes! The Picard Maneuver!

Old Post Nov 15th, 2013 05:39 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Kirk ventures through what he perceives before him.

If it is an infinite form of a collective consciousness/subconsciousness then he will most probably still question its meaning. And in return the infinite will thank him for it as he becomes one with it.

Last edited by the ninjak on Nov 17th, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Old Post Nov 17th, 2013 10:55 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by the ninjak
Kirk ventures through what he perceives before him.

If it is an infinite form of a collective consciousness/subconsciousness then he will most probably still question its meaning. And in return the infinite will thank him for it as he becomes one with it.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2013 10:42 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Why not? big grin

Old Post Nov 28th, 2013 08:02 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Kirk's religion: Bangthewenchism.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2014 04:18 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

It's that mad swag.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2014 04:53 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

^ Door angles up, of course. Kirk, u da man.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2014 03:16 PM
riv6672

I think Kirk believes in God, but doesnt go by any established religion.

Maybe the bangthewench one.

Old Post May 31st, 2014 11:39 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote