KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Unhosted Role Plays » The Order of Magick - Registration and Discussion

The Order of Magick - Registration and Discussion
Started by: MadMel

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MadMel
Heh

The Order of Magick - Registration and Discussion

Hopefully, Ush will forgive me for opening this without his permission. I'm not exactly a newbie or a troll, after all. I'm trying to save this place. smile

The order of Magick.

Once upon a time, in the ancient kingdom of Algara, there was a great castle, where the order of magick, a society of wizards, lived. All wizards would study, practice and relax within the castle walls. The king would often call upon the order for aid, for it was widely known that wizards, aside from being scholars, were also great fighters, using their arts to face enemies that mere mortals would flee from. Despite their legendary skills, wizards were still human, and physically weak compared to a common soldier. If not for their talents, they would perish at the hands of even the weakest of goblins. Because of this, the death toll for wizards on the battlefield was sometimes more than the order of magick could bear. One great wizard, whose name is long forgotten, sought to fix this dilemma by searching for the elixir of life. The order was against this, as such an item was considered dark magick, and therefore forbidden. Arguments began, and then fights. Eventually, a young pupil was killed in the struggle, and the wizard was banished from the order of magick for all eternity. His staff was snapped in half, so he could perform no more magick, and he was imprisoned in a faraway place, never to be heard from again.

That was hundreds of years ago.
In the present, life in the order of magick continues as normal. There have been rumors of increased monster sightings throughout the kingdom of Algara. In response, the order has sent of group of distinguished graduates to investigate…

You are one of the wizards sent out to investigate the increased monster sightings. Although skilled in magick, you are inexperienced in real life situations, such as combat, sleeping on the hard ground and dealing with superstitious commoners. It will take more than your magick to survive in the kingdom of Algara.

Gameplay
I've altered this section greatly from the last version of this idea.
You are a part of a group of wizards (male or female) who have just graduated. Cocky, fearless, and totally unprepared for 'the real world', you set out to take on your first mission.
There are various rules regarding magic.
- All wizards have a basic understanding of most kinds of magic. However, in battle, they specialize in only a single type of magic. Most of their spells in battle will be focused on this one aspect, with one or two other spells thrown in for kicks.
- Magick is dependent on the user's personality, past, and current state of mind. An especially arrogant wizard, for example, will not specialize in healing magick, because it is not in their nature. Keep this in mind when building your characters.
- For obvious reasons, a player's spells cant be overpowered.
- For more powerful spells, there are 'ritual spells', which are found in spell books scattered around the kingdom. These spells require one or more players concentrating for a certain amount of time to make them work. They can only be used sparingly, as using them involves tapping directly into the soul, and overuse can permanently damage the soul, which usually results in death.
- All wizards need a conduit in order to perform magick. This can be a staff, a wand, special gauntlets, a gemstone, etc. Without these items, a wizard's magick is very weak, and they will be vulnerable.
- Wizard may carry a melee weapon, like a dagger or short sword, for defense. However, most wizards are not skilled at all in melee combat, so it is more for show than anything else. However, weapons can be enchanted for a brief period of time, should the need arise.
- Studying magick takes a long time, and is always different for each student. A young wizard's power grows and develops randomly, so no one can predict how long they need to study for. However, even in the quickest cases, 13-15 years of study is the minimum training time before a wizard can graduate.

A wizard is often considered to be a one man army. A group of them, a legion. Not because they can wade through rivers of enemies without a scratch. On the contrary, the mortality rate for wizards is exceptionally high. The real reason wizards are so revered is because they are intelligent, learned and quick witted, using their minds and working together to accomplish the impossible. The key to survival in this RP will not be power, but cunning.
That said, there's no harm in showing off occasionally stick out tongue

Rules – Same as always
1. No godmodding. You cannot have an overly powerful character, and you cannot kill or control other people’s characters without their permission.
2. No metagaming. Your character cannot have knowledge that is not available to them in-game, even if you as a player have that knowledge.
3. Only 1 character per player MAX.
4. 'Magick' is spelled with a k. 'magic' is something else entirely. wink
5. 'Wizard' is an androgynous term, which may refer to either males or females.
6. Make your posts nice and easy to read. It doesn’t matter how long your posts are, as long as the message gets across clearly. Minor spelling and grammar mistakes are allowed, but only if they are mistakes.

Character Sheet
Here is a template of the sheet, and my character as an example of how to fill it out. Remember, your character's magick can depend on what attributes you give to your character's personality and bio, so keep that in mind.

name - Obvious
age - Can’t be under 23 - Magick takes a long time to study
gender - Obvious again
appearance – Pic/description or both
specialization – The main type of magick used in combat
other magicks – Other relatively weak signature spells that are also used in combat.
equipment – Conduit/other equipment
personality – Likes, dislikes, traits, etc.
bio – Character’s story up until the start of the rp

Name – Alexander Kalhazred III – Prefers ‘Kal’.
Age – 26.
Gender – Male.
Appearance – Kal is a tall, thin young man with dark hair reaching to below his ears, and eyes that change colour every hour or so, or depending on his mood. Rather than a robe and hat, Kal wears a fancy white tunic, with light blue trims, coat tails reaching from his belt to just above his ankles, and a draconic circlet on his head. He is never seen without his cane, a memento of his former home, which he has modified to conceal a wand.
Specialization – spectral weaponry. Kal can conjure spectral weapons, either close range or at a distance which are under his control. These weapons can attack physically to kill, or attack the soul directly to incapacitate. The type of weapon can be anything he imagines, from swords to crossbows to shields.
Other magicks –
- Arcane Missile – a simple bolt of arcane energy, which can be manipulated in various ways - For example, splitting into smaller missiles, or seeking a chosen target.
- Burst – a spell that releases a concentrated burst of energy in a particular area. Works especially well on shattering wood, bone, and for breaking locks.
Equipment – Kal has a thin, fancy looking cane he uses as a walking stick (though he is not crippled in any way). In actuality, there is a wand concealed at the top, which he can pull out at a moment’s notice. However, his main weapon is the wand hidden up his sleeve, attached to a spring loaded device of his own creation. He is able to use both wands effectively in combat, often using one as his ‘shield’, casting defensive magick, and the other as his ‘sword’, casting offensive magick. The cane itself is durable and quite heavy, despite its size, serving as a club in the most extreme circumstances.
Personality – curious, experimental, prideful, confident to the point of arrogance.
Bio – Alexander Kalhazred III was born the second son of a duke on the far edge of the kingdom. Unlike his older brother, who was a strong lad, Alex was scrawny and bookish, although he tried his best to keep up with his brother by learning swordsmanship and archery, as well as other various physical activities, with little success. The young noble would have gone on to become a politician, had his power not awakened rather explosively late one night on his eleventh year. Alex was sent away less than a week later, and was publically announced as banished from the lands his father controlled. Rumors grew that Alex has murdered someone, and the secret of his magick was not leaked to anyone.
Fifteen years later, Alex, who had chosen the nickname ‘Kal’ to protect his identity whenever outside the order, has proven himself an exemplary student. His curiosity and thirst for knowledge has made him a studious scholar, with knack for experimentation, and his noble upbringing has given him the confidence (and sometimes arrogance and recklessness) to face any challenge head on, academic or combative. Kal is most noted by others in the order for three things – His unique style of fighting (obvious compensation for his lack of physical ability as a child, but of course, very few people know about his past), his thesis on expanding traditional spells beyond the ordinary (which he has demonstrated with his extensive research on the simple arcane missile spell), and the burst spell, his very own creation, which earned him his graduation one year ahead of schedule.

If there are any other game play mechanics or other things that pop up, I'll explain/deal with them both in character and out of character. Until then, lets start the fun, shall we? big grin

Last edited by MadMel on Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 11:20 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starryknight

Are you going to make a CS or did you want us to wait?

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 07:01 PM
starryknight is currently offline Click here to Send starryknight a Private Message Find more posts by starryknight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Big O
The Original O

I've had a character in mind for this for a while but I can't get to him at the moment. I'll try later.

In the mean time, I never DID see that anime where I unintentionally got my name from. Is it any good

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 09:17 PM
The Big O is currently offline Click here to Send The Big O a Private Message Find more posts by The Big O Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

CS?
Character Sheet?
It's right there. erm
Or did you mean an RP tread? In which case, I'm putting that up now. stick out tongue

No worries O.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 04:28 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starryknight

I need to stop using my phone for this, I keep missing large chunks of information lol. I'll make a CS later on when get back to my computer big grin

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 07:59 AM
starryknight is currently offline Click here to Send starryknight a Private Message Find more posts by starryknight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regelion1
The Dark in a Starry Sky

I wonder how this will turn out, hope its good.

THANKS FOR THE AWESOME SIG TxG

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 12:48 AM
Regelion1 is currently offline Click here to Send Regelion1 a Private Message Find more posts by Regelion1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
immaturerainbow
Straight V I B I N G

I'm actually going to join this one. I always say I'm going to join but I never do!

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 03:58 AM
immaturerainbow is currently offline Click here to Send immaturerainbow a Private Message Find more posts by immaturerainbow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regelion1
The Dark in a Starry Sky

That adds two beautiful ladies to this Rp then huh MadMel?

THANKS FOR THE AWESOME SIG TxG

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 04:02 AM
Regelion1 is currently offline Click here to Send Regelion1 a Private Message Find more posts by Regelion1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

lol. Well by all means, Rainbow, go ahead. If you have any Qs, send me a pm.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 04:10 AM
The Big O
The Original O

Name - Thane Druddigan
Age - 25
Gender - Male

Appearance (please log in to view the image)
Thane should be imagined in nothing more than a pair of green shorts and a brown vest that are native to whatever time frame the RP takes place. Thane almost never wears anything with sleeves or on his feet save for when the temperature is far too extreme to be comfortable.

Specialization – Thane specializes in magicks that allow him to manipulate molecules. As such, Thane can speed up the molecules of an object/living being to make them reverberate at a speed which causes them to rapidly heat up. As a result of this heat, the power can cause the object/living being to either melt, burn, or ignite. (It should be noted that once something ignites and catches fire, Thane cannot control said fire. Also, it appears that the more powerful a being or object is, the less effective Thane’s powers are on it.) He can also speed up the molecules of an object/living being to the point that they explode and violently blast apart. Thane can also slow down and stop the movement of molecules where they move so slowly that the object/living being appears to move drastically slow or becomes completely motionless.

Other magicks – Thane occasionally uses a simple spell that allows him to become highly resistant to powerful magicks for about 60 seconds. When casted, the spell covers Thane in a mystical veil that allows him to take only minor damage from highly powerful magical attacks.

Equipment – Thane's conduit is a simple but magically enhanced bow that he uses to focus his magicks through. The bow's wood will never rot and is surprisingly tough. The string will never break no matter how far it is pulled. Thane's molecular magicks are the arrows and they appear only when the bow string is drawn. When Thane is out of energy, he cannot produce any arrows for his bow.

Personality – Thane's personality could be described as meek, shy, and passive in his early years as a wizard but later growing into a charge-taking, quick-witted and abundantly confident young man. He is also kind, sarcastic and comically cynical of others he does not know well.

Bio – Thane’s life was pretty normal for his first twelve years. He was an average student in his studies and did what he could to help out at home. The youngest child of 7, Thane was used to being over looked when everyone else was doing something important or useful. However, on his twelfth birthday, his family surprised him took him out to the woods to teach him archery. He soon grew to love the sport and was found to be quite proficient in it.

While out on an archery training trip, Thane and his father were accosted by a goblin. Thane’s father was severely wounded in while trying to protect his son and was about to be finished off but instead was saved by Thane when the young boy shot what appeared to be a shining, white arrow at the beast. The goblin stopped moving in mid-swing and looked to be frozen in time. Thane and his father wasted no time in retreating. A few weeks after that, Thane was discovered to be a wizard (the first and only in his family) and sent away to Algara Castle to train in the use of his abilities.

Notes: Thane’s powers seemed to have progressed based on how his personality has changed over the years. When his abilities first awakened, Thane was meek, shy and non-confrontational. This was reflected in his ability to stop the motion of things so as to avoid something that he didn’t want to get involved in. As he became more assertive and confident, his powers grew to reflect this as blowing things up and melting, burning and igniting things.

In the mean time, I never DID see that anime where I unintentionally got my name from. Is it any good

Last edited by The Big O on Jun 17th, 2012 at 04:28 AM

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 04:19 AM
The Big O is currently offline Click here to Send The Big O a Private Message Find more posts by The Big O Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

Castle Edlraza, not Algara

Apart from that, exceptional, and approved. Pleeeeeeaaaaaase post ASAP. stick out tongue

Edit - huh? I had a chance to read all of that, and I liked it. What's up?
Edit2 - Whatever, still approved, O. Go ahead.

Last edited by MadMel on Jun 17th, 2012 at 04:25 AM

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 04:23 AM
The Big O
The Original O

Will do.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 04:32 AM
MadMel
Heh

Ugh, we suck at this timing thing. stick out tongue
I've gotta go for a few hours. Will be back later. smile

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 04:35 AM
starryknight

Name: Raven RoseGruard

appearance : (please log in to view the image)

specialization : Raven has mastered the art water and ice she can pull the molecules out of thin air to create water then is able to freeze the water in a matter of seconds almost instantly. With this ability she can create platforms to slide on to travel with, (like Ice Man) create massive spike walls and even defensive walls. Her water control isn't anything to shack an icicle at either, she can whip water around with the quickness that could split an enemies flesh also turn it into vapor and make some sort of slushy mix (works well for snow ball fights in the summer!)

other magicks : basic magick skills to be able to pass what was required, nothing is as advance as her water/ice abilities.

equipment : Icy blue amulet that she hangs around her neck and tucks into her shirt. She also has a staff that she mostly uses for misdirection.

personality : Raven is an unmotivated young wizard who'd rather lay in a grassy field of grass or snow (both even) then do any of this wizardry stuff but is forced to because she is a natural and some how graduated... or at least that is what she would like you to believe. In truth she took her studies about water and ice magick very seriously and excelled at it, earning the name with the other wizard the Ice Queen. She didn't much like the name because her personality was more laid back and nonchalant, and a bit odd some times saying off the wall things.

bio : Raven was born with icy blue skin, her parents thought she was died but she started to cry they knew she would live though they hadn't a clue why she was so blue. Five years later still with a light blue completion and icy blue eyes and deep blue hair, her parents knew with out a doubt that she was a wizard and took her straight to the order and left her there without even a goodbye hug since then Raven has been living, breathing, and bathing magick.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 04:47 AM
MadMel
Heh

Approved. big grin

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 04:58 AM
starryknight

what are those weird symbols O!!!!!!!!!!YOUR IN LEAGUE WITH THE DEBIL!!!!!!

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 05:41 AM
immaturerainbow
Straight V I B I N G

name - Rhetha
age - 24 (She is still quite young.)
gender - Female
appearance – (please log in to view the image)She has a snake tattoo that goes along her left side along her rib cage. She also wears a choker with a grey amulet that contains loose souls that she has collected to help bring back the dead when in battle, or in need of help.
specialization –She is a Necromancers, she has the ability to control the dead. When she brings them back they have quick motion like a someone alive would, and it takes longer to take them down, vs. it would with a normal human. In battle she brings the dead back momentarily to make attacks while she uses the slight fire magick she has learned. A downfall of her magick is that the dead is only able to stay risen for a few hours at a time, given she is still controlling her magick use.
other magicks – She is just learning how to deal with fire, given that fire was a childhood fascination along with the dead.
equipment – With her she carries two daggers in case she runs out of souls for the dead. Along her neck is a choker with a grey amulet that contains loose souls from previous battles she has one. Inside of her boots are knives that pop out with a certain click of her heels, and inside her shirt she has a pen sized knife, when all has been used. (Useless, but she likes to think it'll come in handy.)
personality – She is always thinking. In fact she'll stop in the middle of a conversation to think things through. Witty, active, and never wanting to stay still, Rhetha isn't one for stopping and taking her sweet precious time. She isn't exactly friendly, nor is she one to go for long conversations unless they are planning strategy.
bio - A fail experimentation with her fire caused the death of both of her parents. It was then that she had learned that she had the ability to collect souls and resurrect the dead. She used it to bring back her parents briefly, only to see them for an hour. They became ashes before her eyes. It was then that she set out on her own, and went off to school to learn more about the magick ability that she possessed.

((OOC: I'm so sorry if this is awful. I had to type it quick! It's been a busy day, but I know if I hold it off, I'll never join!))

Old Post Jun 18th, 2012 01:11 AM
immaturerainbow is currently offline Click here to Send immaturerainbow a Private Message Find more posts by immaturerainbow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

A girl who can't have been older than 11 set off across the kingdom on her own?

Necromancy is normally a dark art, but all of the characters so far have been unique, (and the dead dont stay resurrected for very long) so that's ok.
Approved and ready to post, but you have to change your bio at some point. stick out tongue

Last edited by MadMel on Jun 18th, 2012 at 01:38 AM

Old Post Jun 18th, 2012 01:33 AM
immaturerainbow
Straight V I B I N G

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MadMel
A girl who can't have been older than 11 set off across the kingdom on her own?

Necromancy is normally a dark art, but all of the characters so far have been unique, (and since the dead dont stay resurrected for very long) so that's ok.
Approved and ready to post, but you have to change your bio at some point. stick out tongue

If they stayed around for a long time, I'd consider that to be somewhat of a god modding ability. Every ability has to have a downfall. So I gave her a limit of how long she can use it, and how often.

oh, and I'll change the bio. I figured I had a few errors XD I read it as fast as I could and made the profile the the best of my ability at a fast pace. XD

Last edited by immaturerainbow on Jun 18th, 2012 at 01:45 AM

Old Post Jun 18th, 2012 01:38 AM
The Big O
The Original O

I have no idea on those symbols. They weren't there when I posted the cs.

And can you guys see the pic I posted or is it blank?

Last edited by The Big O on Jun 18th, 2012 at 01:58 AM

Old Post Jun 18th, 2012 01:51 AM