KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Thoughts on virtual items for real money?

Thoughts on virtual items for real money?
Started by: Johnnydiamond08

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I use the Starbucks comparison a lot. I hum and haw over a 5 dollar game on Steam but have no regrets paying the same price for a disposable item. It doesn't make sense.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 08:49 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Putting things into perspective, a lot of people spend a lot of their time playing a single game rather than buying one game every few weeks (I used to do the one game every few weeks thing until Diablo1/2 and WoW). I, myself, played WoW for over 2 years and had quite a blast playing it with my friends online. Had I still been doing my old practice of play-finish-buy again, I'd have ended up spending at least 100+ dollars a month in games (as my old practice was also to keep trying out games til I find one I like then putting everything aside til I'm done with the game I'm into at that moment- I know it's not the most efficient way of spending one's money, but I make a good living so that a few hundred USD doesn't really bother me in the least). One can say that even with it's monthly fees, WoW saved me at least a hundred dollars a month.

There has also been times wherein I haven't the time to grind out or farm gear (due to time requirements for work and relationships) where I just decided to buy the gold I needed to support my need for pots/mounts/repairs on my character or to quickly gear up an alt. 50 bucks to make my life a ton easier and to allow me to spend less time farming/grinding seems a lot logical than sitting in a PC for 6-10 hours doing (IMO) un-fun parts of the game just to sustain the times I get to play the fun parts. That and the fact that I make more than 40 bucks an hour working means that it would have been much more efficient to spend the 6-10 hours working instead of playing...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I think it's all just a matter of perspective and a person should be allowed to use RL money if they want to. smile

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 08:28 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Or you could just play games that don't require that sort of grind...stick out tongue

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 02:11 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Johnnydiamond08
White Panda

I understand the concept of playing an MMO for a long period of time with the occasional new purchase of the latest game, opposed to buying a few new games every month. It does save you money, and I love to use that in arguments where people say " I can't believe you pay to play a game!" I have been thinking about getting back into WoW actually. However, buying all the new expansions is a little daunting to my check book.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 09:13 PM
Johnnydiamond08 is currently offline Click here to Send Johnnydiamond08 a Private Message Find more posts by Johnnydiamond08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote