KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD

Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD
Started by: Barker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (134): « First ... « 118 119 [120] 121 122 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

That reminds me, I haven't even used the blu ray drive yet, I should put something in there to make sure it works correctly.

Yeah it seems very solidly built. Hopefully no hiccups rear their head in the future.

Also gotta say the quick resume feature is awesome as well.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2021 08:12 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, quick resume is great. It doesn't seem to work very well with Series X titles though..

Though, in most cases, the loading times are not that crazy to begin with.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2021 08:13 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I guess phones are kind of a console, right?

Sony is planning to double down on their mobile gaming efforts now.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...bile-gaming.htm

Old Post Apr 17th, 2021 08:34 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Playing MLB the Show on Xbox Series X. It's so weird.....

It booted up with the title "Sony Presents...."
And then it brings up the Sony Development icon...and the typical sports game splash screen with all the licensees....and it has "Licensed by Sony".

I just find it very strange.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2021 11:53 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Playing MLB the Show on Xbox Series X. It's so weird.....

It booted up with the title "Sony Presents...."
And then it brings up the Sony Development icon...and the typical sports game splash screen with all the licensees....and it has "Licensed by Sony".

I just find it very strange.

The game is a little disappointing. Largely looks and plays the same as the last one I played a few years back.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 01:57 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah. It's a solid baseball game..

The stadium creator is neat but super annoying to navigate using a controller.
But it's annoying they haven't touched the franchise mode at all.
Like....could they add an expansion draft/team option.

And I feel the menus are too streamlined...you used to be able to search by category..now players are just in large menu.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2021 04:01 AM
BackFire

Ok, so the other day I was able to buy a PS5 from Amazon, and decided to jump on the chance and got one. Came yesterday.

I still don't like the design very much. It's big and showy and just looks odd. Also not a fan of how the stand is basically required, but I'll get used to the look of the console itself, not a huge deal. Looks better vertically.

The controller, though. Wow oh wow. The controller is definitely the most next gen feature either console has. The haptic feedback it has is very subtle and cool, and the resistant triggers work really well. They also improved the thumb sticks a bit by giving a slight texture on the outside of the stick, similar to the Series X stick. The increase in size and the length of the handles is also nice. Both controllers this gen are very comfortable to use.

I bought Spiderman Miles Morales Ultimate, which comes with the original Spiderman game remastered, which I've been playing. It looks quite good. I haven't tried Miles Morales but I hear it looks better. I also got Demon's Souls, and that game looks incredible. Definitely the best looking console game I've yet played. Also looking forward to Returnal later this week.

The UI has been largely improved, and the speed from the SSD is nice. Everything is very snappy and quick. Pretty much the same there as the series X. Both offer snappy and extremely fast menus.

The 3D audio is also nice if you want to wear headphones. Just adds some depth to the sound.

Overall I think both consoles are going to be solid this gen. Think you probably can't go wrong with either. For backwards compatability the Series X is better, as can play not just Xbone games but also 360 games and OG Xbox games, and automatically outputs them at 4k and 60 fps if possible. The PS5 can play PS4 games and a few get upgraded to run at 60fps which is nice, but it seems to require work from the devs rather than the console just doing it automatically. Otherwise the PS4 games run identically to how they did on the PS4. And of course, unfortunately, it is not backwards compatible with PS One, 2 or 3 games at all.

For exclusives and the like PS5 has the Series X beat, but that will even out in the next few years as Microsoft's various aquisitions over the last few years will come into play. Also the amazing value of Gamepass can't be ignored and makes switching from the PS ecosystem to the Xbox one much more painless since you basically instantly get a collection of dozens of solid games to play for $10 a month. I think Sony is going to need a response to that very soon. Because once the Bethesda games start coming out exclusively for the Xbox, that's going to drive a significant number of people to the Xbox, especially since they will be on gamepass day 1.

But for now, I think both consoles are good. Both will continue to be good, just depends on what ecosystem you're already a part of and what you want your console to do.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2021 09:37 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think the argument regarding exclusives is something that is going to be pushed in other direction.

Microsoft has too many developers under their wing.....

343 Industries (Halo Infinite...not sure if they will release 2 games this gen)
The Coalition (Gears 6 and Gear 7)
Compulsion Games (good for 2 titles...created We Happy Few)
Double Fine Productions (Psychonauts 2 and created 6 games last gen)
The Initiative (new studio lead by Crystal Dynamics vet and making Perfect Dark)
inXile Entertainment (Wasteland 3 and I assume Wasteland 4)
Mojang Studios (Minecraft)
Ninja Theory (Hellbade 2 and probably 2 more games this gen)
Obsidian Entertainment (made about 8 games last gen...)
Playground Games (Fable and Forza Horizon)
Rare (a few games coming down the road
Turn 10 (Forza 8)
Undead Labs (State of Decay 3 so probably good for a few more)
Arkane Studios (good for probably 4-5 titles this gen)
Bethesda (probably good for 2 games this gen)
ID Software (probably good for 2 games this gen)
MachineGames (probably good for 3-4 games this gen)
Tango GameWorks (good for 3 games)

That's alot of first party...and I bet they are going to do some more acquistions or one-offs this generation (cough cough Kojima)

Old Post Apr 26th, 2021 11:00 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

And there is a few other developers they have that haven't done much....like Roundhouse Studios, AlphaDog games, Zenimax Online games (supposedly working on a original IP game)

And then there is stuff like Age of Empires 4..technically a first party title but being developed by Relic Entertainment.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2021 11:28 PM
BackFire

I agree. In the future MS will have a lot of good exclusives. But most of those are years off so for now PS5 still has the advantage in that regard.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2021 11:29 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'm not sure about though...

Halo Infinite is being released this year.
There is rumours Starfield is being shown at E3....and Bethesda usually release the same year after showing for the firs time.
Hellblade 2 is probably around the corner.

Just having Starfield and Halo Infinite is probably the biggest fall release MS has had.

I think Forza 8 is probably 2022 (though another rumour they are showing at E3)
Probably missing a couple of small games..

Sony has Ratchet and Clank, probably Horizons....I'm not sure after that. I cannot see God of War this year (even though they said it was going to be released this year).

Old Post Apr 26th, 2021 11:37 PM
BackFire

Sony has also had the Demon's Souls remake, Spiderman Miles Morales, and the upcoming Returnal which sounds like it'll be a critical hit.

Starfield coming out will be big if that's this year. We will see. After the poor showing Halo Infinite had last year, and how 343 seems to be struggling with the property as a whole, I don't have faith that game will be anything particularly special.

I hope Forza 8 is next year. But since they've shown no gameplay yet I dunno.

But yeah, I do agree that MS is closing the gap with first party titles overall. It's just the timeline that is in question.

On another note, I wish MS made the menu for the Series X native 4k. The PS5 one is and it looks really nice and crisp. Dunno why MS doesn't want the Series X menu to look nice.

MS also needs to jump on the haptic feedback train very soon. That alone has been seriously the most next gen feature of either system. It just feels amazing.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 09:23 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Honestly, I never realized the UI is in 1080p. Meh...I rather have a snappy UI than something that looks nice.

Meh, I do not like Spiderman. I thought it was one of the most overrated games of last generation.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 10:35 PM
BackFire

I want 4k and snappy. PS5 is 4k and just as snappy. It's not something you'd really notice unless you're going from one to the other. But when I'm using the PS5 and then go to the Series X the menu just looks worse.

I thought Spiderman was good, just had too many collectible BS going on. Enjoyed the main story well enough.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 11:30 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I didn't hate it but it just got so boring. It seemed I was doing the same three things over and over....and it was just lame that it had all these activities but it was like "take out group of enemies...."...oh now it's "take out a different group of enemies".

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 11:38 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

There's been some more rumours of Epic Games basically offering Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft a ****ton of money so that their games, if they come to PC, will only be on the Epic Games Store.

I do not like that.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 8th, 2021 02:31 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Microsoft bought Bethesda. Boy I sure can't wait to see what titles at the big gaming press conference drop for this next genera---or just give us MMO updates. Nevermind.

Hey everyone, we here at the Xbox team know you're pining for more Fable news from Playground Games so we're proud to announce from them NOT THAT but a new Forza you ugly saps!

Sike, we totally got a new Bethesda game coming and saved it for last. It's Left 4 Fortnite uh I mean Redfall! In 120 frames! Oooooooo!!!

We got Halo Infinite arriving this holiday but overall, wtf was this E3?

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jun 13th, 2021 at 06:42 PM

Old Post Jun 13th, 2021 06:33 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I assume that games are not close to being done.
Considering the shitstorm companies get into when they show trailers that don't resemble the final product....why are we surprised nobody wants to show anything until they are close to release.

Look at all the games they shown...each one seem to be in next window of a year.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2021 06:49 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It seems Microsoft releases a teaser trailer to announce a game...and then nothing until they are close to release it.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2021 06:54 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

How closer Fable would be though if another Forza wasn't in the way taking up who knows how much staff for that.

And I do hope for the best for Redfall but right now it's giving me some Radical Heights/Agents of Mayhem vibes.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jun 13th, 2021 at 07:16 PM

Old Post Jun 13th, 2021 07:07 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote