KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD

Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD
Started by: Barker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (134): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BlackZero30x
Jack

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
Same, with, say owning a TV show via XBox Live. I can watch it whenever, but it's also grounded. I can't take it to a friend's, etc.

you most certainly can if you have a zune or a laptop. I have multiple TV shows downloaded to my xbox. Just make an account on zune and link it to your xbox. Then you can download the shows either to your zune or directly to you PC.

It's a pretty simple matter to convert it so it's no longer locked to just your zune. You could also just link your laptop to your friends TV or just take your zune and hook it up. Most things it can hook to via usb can play the video content that's on it.

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2012 11:12 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Digi
And if Steam goes under?

I like it. But it's something akin to the audio file that you can't port off of the original device. Clunky though they may be, I have PC game CD's from nearly two decades ago that I can still use on any PC that I want and that I'll always have (OS compatibility notwithstanding - anything can still run, it just sometimes takes a workaround for older games). Same, with, say owning a TV show via XBox Live. I can watch it whenever, but it's also grounded. I can't take it to a friend's, etc.

I get that this is the future of the medium, and for the most part I have no issues with it. It doesn't mean it's without flaws.

Huh? I'm not sure about your point about using it on any PC.

You just log on your friends computer, install Steam, download game and then play it. As well, you can sync up your saved games through the Cloud and you can play where you left off.

You get the CD key, which is the most important part of the purchase. The problem is still there somewhat (need the data) but Valve is a pretty good company so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have a plan that allows people to get there games.

But the point is moot, if your a PC gamer, you have to have Steam, or other DL programs because it's harder to find boxed PC games out there. Also, let's say Valve goes under and you don't copy the CD key, it's funny how people hold on a purchase that cost them 3 bucks 5 years ago.

EDIT: I think the best thing Valve could do is give a feature/setting that allows you to create an ISO of the game content so you can have a hard copy but I wouldn't be surprised if publishers would allow that.

Last edited by Smasandian on Sep 24th, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2012 12:43 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by BlackZero30x
you most certainly can if you have a zune or a laptop. I have multiple TV shows downloaded to my xbox. Just make an account on zune and link it to your xbox. Then you can download the shows either to your zune or directly to you PC.

It's a pretty simple matter to convert it so it's no longer locked to just your zune. You could also just link your laptop to your friends TV or just take your zune and hook it up. Most things it can hook to via usb can play the video content that's on it.

I'm aware of all of this. But there's an "if" here. "If your friend has an XBox, you just log in on your account and..." or similar stories. It's creating one of two things: making it so only tech geeks who keep up with all of this can convert to multiple formats (what you just explained goes over many peoples' heads). Or two, creating purchasing mandates, where you "have" to buy a certain product/brand/etc. to have compatibility with your other media.

Now, this isn't always a problem, but think of it this way: 15 years ago I could take my CD or DVD and go ANYWHERE with it and play it. Now, it's "do you have zune? Wifi for my laptop (who are you watching with that you can all crowd around a laptop btw?)? An XBox? Does your system play blue-ray? Can your TV read from my device? etc. etc. etc." And it's not because the technology branches; it's because corporations want to funnel us to their products. Someone gives Sony a boatload of money, and they exclusively play blue-ray (or similar examples). Want to play it on an XBox or standard DVD player at your mom's house? Sorry loser, buy our system instead. It's overtly manipulative.

We're going backwards in this department. Big time. And it's only going to get worse. And as soon a something supplants Steam (not imminent of course, but it will happen), we'll need to have the next big system of purchasing/playing that will only be exclusive to it and its partners.

Originally posted by Smasandian
Huh? I'm not sure about your point about using it on any PC.

You just log on your friends computer, install Steam, download game and then play it. As well, you can sync up your saved games through the Cloud and you can play where you left off.

You get the CD key, which is the most important part of the purchase. The problem is still there somewhat (need the data) but Valve is a pretty good company so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have a plan that allows people to get there games.

But the point is moot, if your a PC gamer, you have to have Steam, or other DL programs because it's harder to find boxed PC games out there. Also, let's say Valve goes under and you don't copy the CD key, it's funny how people hold on a purchase that cost them 3 bucks 5 years ago.

EDIT: I think the best thing Valve could do is give a feature/setting that allows you to create an ISO of the game content so you can have a hard copy but I wouldn't be surprised if publishers would allow that.

Valve doesn't owe us anything legally if they go under. It would be a dick move, but it's creating exclusivity. "Use us, or you can't play at all."

Last edited by Digi on Sep 24th, 2012 at 01:25 AM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2012 01:17 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

CD Key?

is that with 'Backup Game files' option?

Old Post Sep 24th, 2012 06:41 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

Originally posted by Zack Fair
(please log in to view the image)

Originally posted by ares834
(please log in to view the image)

To be fair, I only played TP until I got bored of it. It's sat dusty on my games shelf for almost 5 years now. And I only got up until the chicken city thing in OOT on 3DS before I stopped.

Maybe I should finish them.

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Sep 24th, 2012 04:16 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Kazenji
CD Key?

is that with 'Backup Game files' option?

My mistake. I thought you get CD key with every game you buy, and checked it out by randomly checking games. I guess I missed a few without a CD key option.

So I was wrong. Only some games give the CD key. Hmm, I wonder if that's a Steam issue, or a publisher issue. It might be a publisher issue.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 01:38 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

There is effectively zero chance that games in the Steam library will be lost. Steam has become such a default of the PC playing field that even if in some distant future it goes under, someone else will pick it up and offer library continuity because that resource is worth a LOT of money.

Hard copies of games are becoming increasingly irrelevant anyway. Games get so patched and modified that what you have on the disc stops actually being the game rather soon. This is mostly a PC issue right now but will spread everywhere soon enough.

I think hard copies have larger problems. Losing or breaking your discs is far more likely than any theoretical issues with Steam games.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 06:46 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Am I the only one who is hoping that the next gen consoles will be backwards compatible? My 60 GB PS3 was BC, but my 320 GB isn't. That's why I still have my original PS2 in case I want to play older games.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 05:35 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Backwards compatibility is awesome, and the Wii U has it, but the sheer cost of it for the PS3 to emulate a PS2 (it had to have pretty much half the PS2 hardware inside it!) is one of the things that hammered the PS3 in its early days. That's why they stopped doing it, and they may be wary about doing that again.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 25th, 2012 05:52 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Backwards compatibility is awesome, and the Wii U has it, but the sheer cost of it for the PS3 to emulate a PS2 (it had to have pretty much half the PS2 hardware inside it!) is one of the things that hammered the PS3 in its early days. That's why they stopped doing it, and they may be wary about doing that again.

I had no idea.

Why couldn't they just set up a "virtual" console? You know...an emulator. Seems every pirating thug programmer can do it...so why not some of the programmers on Sony's payroll.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2012 11:53 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

They switched to software emulation in later models, but it didn't work as well.

BtVS

Old Post Sep 26th, 2012 12:17 PM
BlackZero30x
Jack

has anyone seen the "new" ps3? http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...ive-first-look/

God I hate sony right now. They need less models of the same system and more time on making the new one.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2012 02:52 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Sony is a very big company. They can have multiple teams working on multiple products.

It's a good thing when a smaller team works on something. Large the team, more shit to wade through.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2012 12:40 AM
BlackZero30x
Jack

that really doesn't mean they should keep bringing out more models of the same system. I know they want to milk the ps3 as much as possible but its getting dumb. Do we really need a "Super Slim"? whats next the "Ultra Slim"?

EDIT: They should do a base system sale. Put the slim out with one controller with 160gigs and a playstation+ vaocher. They could charge $199 and and people would have eaten that up. Thats a better deal then the 4gig xbox even.

Last edited by BlackZero30x on Sep 27th, 2012 at 03:59 AM

Old Post Sep 27th, 2012 03:54 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Why are you complaining?

Don't buy it if you don't like it.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2012 04:20 PM
dadudemon

Why are you complaining?

Don't buy it if you don't like it.

Why not complain?

That's valuable money Sony invested in something he does not want.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2012 05:24 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Hahahah. Whatever. It's dumb to complain about how a company spends it's money.

The funny thing is that they will probably make a profit on it.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2012 05:55 PM
Peach
mordrem

Has Sony made a profit on any of the various PS3s yet?

The really ridiculous thing is the fact that they aren't lowering the price on the regular slim systems.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 29th, 2012 06:01 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That's pretty crappy. Oh well, it's an option for people. If they want, they can buy it.

But I assume they make profit somehow with newer versions of the console because if they didn't, why would they bother?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2012 04:30 AM
BlackZero30x
Jack

Hahahah. Whatever. It's dumb to complain about how a company spends it's money.

The funny thing is that they will probably make a profit on it.

I don't mean to sound like a dick but I think its dumber to complain about someone that complains.

Anyways I come to a forum....one specifically to talk about gaming systems and me voicing my opinion about one that is being brought out is dumb? confused

Like Dadudemon said it's valuable money. More specifically speaking its our money as the consumers. Without us they wouldn't even exist so I have a pretty valid reason to complain when you think about it.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2012 02:41 AM