KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Violence/Do Video Games Corrupt?

Violence/Do Video Games Corrupt?
Started by: Julie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
plenTpak52
Pinball Wizard

Its like saying loud and violent music causes people to be violent. Loud music just gives you a chance to channel your anger and emotion through other people's anger, which helps release that anger, in a way.

The only corruption video games have are pimples around your eyes. You can actually benefit from playing video games. You can increase your motor skills, memorization skills, your reflexes, and a bunch of other stuff. But say some kid DID want to go and shoot a bunch of people...Couldn't he channel that desire through the video game (GTA in this case)? I mean wouldn't he be relieved having the chance to actually start reeking havoc with a gun?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2003 03:28 AM
plenTpak52 is currently offline Click here to Send plenTpak52 a Private Message Find more posts by plenTpak52 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Video games deffaintly dont convince or persuade kids to do evil acts. The worst thing a video game is going to do is cause lazy ness. Im sick of all these fu*kin people saying video games and music corrupt. These same damn people trying to get these things out lawed. If your going to outlaw. Inspiring music that allows people to relate to and give them some kind of security in there life, or a video game that is the baby sitter when the mother is passed out on the couch from a heroine over dose. Why not outlaw bad, inept parenting. You know what i mean, the abusive,neglectfull parenting that later causes teens to go out and do drugs, and kill people. Why not outlaw or ban the dumbass fathers who have a gun of every kind laying around the house. Alot more importnat things need to be addressed before a video game that is simply a medium of fantasy. I dont know about you but when i play a couple hours of video games i;m not as pissed off as i was before i started. Sometimes i'm even calm after wards

Old Post Nov 8th, 2003 07:53 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lag

Just because games teach us how to do stuff doesn't mean we're going to go out and do it. The Sims have been out for a while now and in that game I have a family and a job, that doesn't mean I'm going right out to get a job, but the U.S. Army seems to think I will. With games like SOCOM, Ghost Recon, and especially Full Spectrum Warrior coming out directly from the U.S. Army it seems like they think just because I now know how to flank some terrorist with Alpha and Bravo that I'm going to imediately join the Army. I'm fine with that though as long as they keep thinking it's doing something they'll keep putting out awsome war games.
One game I do have a problem with though is Ethnic Cleansing. EC was made for the soul purpose of teaching kids to hate and kill Jewish and other people. You run around the streets burning people. Which isn't much different than GTAIII except in Ethnic Cleansing you burn the people for who they are. I don't know how to get a copy of this game nor do I want to, but it seems like games can be used as a tool for teaching, right or wrong, but they still do nothing for motivation. Other than that games,for intelligent people, are a great way to esape and vent.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2003 01:06 PM
Lag is currently offline Click here to Send Lag a Private Message Find more posts by Lag Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

Nope, not at all, I've been playing games like Resident Evil since I was 11, and I'm damn fine, it all depends on the child's mind who plays them, if he or she is already a sick bastard, then there's trouble.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2003 03:10 PM
JToTheP is currently offline Click here to Send JToTheP a Private Message Find more posts by JToTheP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Broadsword20043

I agree with what some other people said, yes, violent games can cause some people to do violence, but if they do, those people are already mentally gone. The person is already screwed up. It's not like they're normal, then play GTA3, and are like, "Hmmm, I'm gonna go shoot some people today." Movies are just as violent. Hell, Scareface was out in the early 80's and in the beginning of that, Tony Montana and his brother are doing a drug deal. So anyhow, the drug deal goes bad, as in the opponent guys pulls out a bunch of guns and tie up Tony and his brother. The lead guy asks Tony for the drugs/money (one of them had the money, the other the drugs; I forget which each had though), so Tony says "F**k you." So the guy pulls out a chainsaw and asks again. Tony gives the same response. The guy fires up the chainsaw, and puts at the back of his brother's head, asking one more time. Same response. So he chainsaws Tony's brother's arms and legs off. Then he is about to do it to Tony, still getting Tony's response, when Tony's partner, who was waiting outside (and hadn't known what was happening) bursts in and saves him. And Scarface is one of the most famous movies of all time. Yet you don't see people out chainsawing left and right or anything like that!!! You have to already be mesed up if you're gonna be inspired enough by a game to go and kill people; at most, a sensible person would work towards becoming a professional assassin probably.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2003 03:21 AM
Broadsword20043 is currently offline Click here to Send Broadsword20043 a Private Message Find more posts by Broadsword20043 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

yeah but using scarface as NOT promoting negative actions is a bad example. I mean if there is any form of entertainment that has inspired people to sell drugs, It would have to be scarface

Old Post Nov 15th, 2003 04:57 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolboarder98

Violence in Video Games

I was wondering what you dudes thought of the controversial subject of violence in video games; should the ratings system be changed? What do you think should be done to raise awareness for non-gamers (ie. parents, governement officials, etc). I'm doing a project on this for my french class, so if you guys could take a quick second and write down your thhoughts, that would be greatly appreciated.

If you guys don't want to say anything here, just email me. My address is in my profile.

-Robert Plant, The Lemon Song, Led Zeppelin II

Old Post Mar 29th, 2004 04:24 PM
coolboarder98 is currently offline Click here to Send coolboarder98 a Private Message Find more posts by coolboarder98 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
whitedragon
HAIL MEGATRON!

i don't think they do at all. i love voilent games they make me laugh. i like manhunt and gta etc. but that doesn't mean i want to go out and drown a granny! game voilence is good! its the parents that are bad. anyways i only use my gun in my own car and house, i aint hurtin no1. you can die from liver failure or stoppin of the heart, a small piece of metal aint the problem. ask a doctor its a medical fact! kill the bunny!!!!! devil bunny

Old Post May 12th, 2004 09:40 AM
whitedragon is currently offline Click here to Send whitedragon a Private Message Find more posts by whitedragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote