KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Major plot hole in the Harry Potter series

Major plot hole in the Harry Potter series
Started by: amberazanu

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
amberazanu

Warning Major plot hole in the Harry Potter series

In Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban, they use a necklace that goes back in time called Time-Turner, nothing is mentioned about how much you're allowed to go back. So if that's the case, why didn't every single death in the series, every major catastrophic event get prevented, by simply travelling back in time and not let it happen? seriously every single event could be corrected!! how about going back in time and preventing Voldemort from taking over Hogwarts, for a start? or how about Snape prevents Voldemort from killing Lilly Potter? the possibilities are endless.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2013 07:15 PM
amberazanu is currently offline Click here to Send amberazanu a Private Message Find more posts by amberazanu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soundgun99

I think that is somewhat covered when, at least in the movie, Dumbledore says, "you know the law Ms. Granger", implying that there are specific events that may be altered.
I don't know for sure, sort of grasping at straws here a little bit. Let us remember that it is a movie, of course, and several conclusions can be drawn.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2013 05:26 PM
Soundgun99 is currently offline Click here to Send Soundgun99 a Private Message Find more posts by Soundgun99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkRaiden
Black Dynamite's Second

Not a plot hole, people just didn't use their resources correctly. Happened a lot in Harry Potter and happens in other movies/tv shows/anime/etc. too.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2014 04:31 AM
DarkRaiden is currently offline Click here to Send DarkRaiden a Private Message Find more posts by DarkRaiden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

Well , it could be that you can go back in time to prevent death, but only before it happens! Once that it happens it is impossible: Even Dumbledore can not come from the Death- minister of Magic dialogue in HP7. For surre that the minister knew about time turners - remember Minerva had to ask permission from the ministry

$$$REMEMBER DUMBLEDORE$$$

R.I.P Headmaster Severus Snape

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Tigg, RebPhoe, Maika, Rogue, Sarant, ADarksideJedi, MUSC

Old Post Jul 29th, 2014 10:12 AM
Unicor777 is currently offline Click here to Send Unicor777 a Private Message Find more posts by Unicor777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think it's actually troubling that the school gives what is essentially a time machine to a 13 yr. old just so she can take an extra class. Just..why? Then when Dumbledore says how dangerous they are..why would you give one to a teenager? Yes, Hermione is pretty responsible for a girl her age, but she is still a teenager. I mean what are the requirements for getting one? Could someone like Malfoy of gotten one if he wanted to take an extra class?

Anyways, I seem to recall at one point they said all the time turners were destroyed.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Unicor777
Well , it could be that you can go back in time to prevent death, but only before it happens! Once that it happens it is impossible: Even Dumbledore can not come from the Death- minister of Magic dialogue in HP7. For surre that the minister knew about time turners - remember Minerva had to ask permission from the ministry

This does not make any sense though. Buckbeak was killed, but then they went back and saved him.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2015 10:47 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Abonis

I'm sure their are laws that need to be followed, and causality effects.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2016 12:51 AM
Darth Abonis is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raptor22

Originally posted by Darth Abonis
I'm sure their are laws that need to be followed, and causality effects.
yep Processor Croakers laws of time travel. Mentioned in The Cursed Child.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2016 04:15 PM
Raptor22 is currently offline Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Originally posted by Surtur
I think it's actually troubling that the school gives what is essentially a time machine to a 13 yr. old just so she can take an extra class. Just..why? Then when Dumbledore says how dangerous they are..why would you give one to a teenager? Yes, Hermione is pretty responsible for a girl her age, but she is still a teenager. I mean what are the requirements for getting one? Could someone like Malfoy of gotten one if he wanted to take an extra class?

Anyways, I seem to recall at one point they said all the time turners were destroyed.

This does not make any sense though. Buckbeak was killed, but then they went back and saved him.

Buyback didn't die. Harry potter time travel is linear.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2016 12:45 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

In the OotP book, when Dumbledore's Army is in the Dept. of Mysteries, we learn that they smash all of the rest of the Time Turners. So goodbye MacGuffin.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 11:00 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Antonio94
Frostwolf

Personally I don't think it's necessary to be a fault since in most fantasy worlds, travelling through time often deemed as "forbidden art". The idea is that, when we change something that already happened in the past, we can't predict what else will change (just like the Butterfly effect). I remember in Marvel Universe, Flash ran back in time to rescue his mother, but that also wrecked the timeline.
Also this can open another question: we see that there are many powerful gods in many Universes. For example, Zen-oh and grand priests of Dragon Ball Universe: if Frieza, Black Goku and many other dangerous evils can wreck things, why the gods don't interfere in the first place?

Old Post Jun 13th, 2017 08:48 AM
Antonio94 is currently offline Click here to Send Antonio94 a Private Message Find more posts by Antonio94 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Buyback didn't die. Harry potter time travel is linear.

Buckbeak did die the first time around though. Unless the suggestion is seriously that he didn't die and Hagrid nor anyone else decided to mention this fact to Harry and his friends.

Hagrid especially has no reason to never mention this, as he had no idea timey wimey shenanigans were going on.

Last edited by Surtur on Jul 9th, 2017 at 04:04 PM

Old Post Jul 9th, 2017 04:00 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
elaina

Rowling admits that the Time-Turner was really bad idea) She destroyed all of them in the 5 part because of it

Old Post May 5th, 2020 12:55 PM
elaina is currently offline Click here to Send elaina a Private Message Find more posts by elaina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Time travel always complicates things.

Old Post May 9th, 2020 08:48 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote