KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » What is the best translation of the Iliad?

What is the best translation of the Iliad?
Started by: NemeBro

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NemeBro

I plan to read the Iliad within the near future, but I'm not sure which translation to read.

I am aware that some translations are in prose, but I have a strong preference for reading the poem as, guess what, a poem.

Any suggestions?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2014 04:09 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Look to see if Norton has a translation of the Iliad and use that one, because Norton is basically a guarantee of quality.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2014 04:41 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Norton's translation, from what I could gather, cuts out a lot of the poem (Referred to as the passages not essential to the narrative but eh) and the way it is described leads me to believe it was written in prose, which is a no go for me.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2014 08:03 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro

I plan to read the Iliad within the near future, but I'm not sure which translation to read.

I am aware that some translations are in prose, but I have a strong preference for reading the poem as ... a poem.

Any suggestions?

Read a Richard Lattimore translation of The Iliad.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2014 06:02 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
55iopy

Re: What is the best translation of the Iliad?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Read a Richard Lattimore translation of The Iliad.

Agreed. Lattimore's translation is the best for modern readers. It's entirely orose though, so it sacrifices the epic poetry. If you want a sense of the poetry try the Robert Fagles translation.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2014 03:13 PM
55iopy is currently offline Click here to Send 55iopy a Private Message Find more posts by 55iopy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jsimonharris
Restricted

Account Restricted

Best Iliad Translation

The translation by Robert Fagles is definitely the best. His translation isn't always a perfect match with the Greek, but it is great poetry and it really sweeps you through the action. The translation by Alexander Pope is worth reading, as well, if you don't mind an older style of writing; many people still view his as the best.

I'm actually working on my own translation of the Iliad, in the meter of the original Greek. I am publishing it in weekly increments on my website. I can't post a link because I'm a new user, but the url is just my username dotcom. If you are interested, I encourage you to follow along as I write it and post comments and suggestions. Either way, I'm glad to see others who are interested in the Iliad!

Old Post Jan 12th, 2017 02:47 AM
jsimonharris is currently offline Click here to Send jsimonharris a Private Message Find more posts by jsimonharris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sarahroxon
Restricted

Account Restricted

This will be a new proposal you can refer to, slope game this is a version of the most popular game. Control the ball to go on the endless path in the game and win the top spot.

Last edited by sarahroxon on Apr 25th, 2022 at 07:47 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2022 07:42 AM
sarahroxon is currently offline Click here to Send sarahroxon a Private Message Find more posts by sarahroxon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doafima
Restricted

Account Restricted

Translation quality plays a significant role. Your impression of what you read depends on this. What if it's an audiobook or a movie? there is also a role played by the voice and the acting. Therefore, I only use vidby https://vidby.com/ for dubbing videos in English and German. They have a lot more available though. And just you can choose the language and emotion for voice acting.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2022 08:08 AM
Doafima is currently offline Click here to Send Doafima a Private Message Find more posts by Doafima Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maxkvinton
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thank you. It is very useful ingormation for me

Old Post Sep 15th, 2022 07:15 AM
maxkvinton is currently offline Click here to Send maxkvinton a Private Message Find more posts by maxkvinton Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote